PDA

View Full Version : Greatest.bowling.story.ever

Mudpuppy
12-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Last night was epic. Final position night of the 1st half. We were securely in first place by 6 points and just had to win 1 game to take 1st place for 1st half and secure our place in immortality otherwise known as a guarantee to roll off for 1st place overall. The team we were bowling against were some very serious bowlers so our job of winning just 1 game wasn't going to be easy. The boys had a few extra energy drinks (insert: beers) before we started bowling but that really didn't take the edge off any.

Game # 1
I couldn't do anything - ended up with a 179. Our 2nd bowler was bowling out of his mind ended up with a 259 (177 average). 3rd, 4th and 5th bowler struggled. We lost by 24 pins. Our 2nd bowler looked like his dog just died. He was like what do I gotta do? I knew it but he was quiet about it. Our 4th bowler used a new ball?!?!??! Although I seriously questioned it I didn't say anything and neither did anyone else. 205 average and he racks off a 155. I felt losing by 24 pins this was our best chance - their anchor, probably best bowler on the league, struggled a bit first game and with a 227 average came in with a 197 game.

Game # 2
I struggled a bit to start but figured out I was trying to muscle the ball and it was just sliding instead of getting any action. Corrected this, racked off a few strikes (4 in a row at one point) and ended up with a 200. Better but not good enough. Our 2nd bowler, dejected, ended up bowling 194 - not bad for a 177 average but our 3rd, 4th and 5th bowlers all struggled again. 9th frame of the game I pulled the 4th bowler aside and I said listen man enough with the new ball put it away. He said he already decided to throw the 9th and 10th frame as well as 3rd game with his old ball. We lost 2nd game by 150 pins but really totals didn't matter anyways.

Game # 3
After a shot of Johnny Vegas we regrouped and now the reality of the situation set in - we hadn't lost 7 all year and this was not a good time to do so. I shot the first 5, our 4th bowler (with his old ball) shot the first 5 and our 5th bowler shot the first 5. Hello. We aren't going out without a fist fight. We might be considered the clowns of the league and we were counted out before the season started but we were on a mission last night. Like spaceballs - never give up never surrender. Our 2nd and 3rd bowlers struggled a bit. The game was tight. Despite our constant barrage of strikes they kept up and were chipping rapidly away at our 72 pin handicap. Their 1st bowler struggled a bit but then started stringing together strikes. Their 4th and 5th bowlers were burying 1 ball after another. So fast forward 10th frame. I spared 6th, 7th and 8th frame but had a strike in the 9th. Threw the ball high and ended up with an 8 / X. 225 game. Better but I was furious I missed the first strike (nail in their coffin) in the 10th. Our 2nd bowler misses a 7 pin spare - right hander. DOH! Not good there is a nail in our coffin. Oh wait there 2nd bowler throws and gets the 6-7-10 split. A little help from the bowling gods - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He picked it up and that just further fueled their fury. Now they were already ordering their 1st half 1st place shirts and planning their celebration victory. Things looked grim. We had our 4th bowler now on 9 strikes and our 5th bowler on a spare in the 9th. They had 4th and 5th bowlers sitting on 3 baggers going into the 10th. Our anchor was already planning his defeat speech. It was all but over. A little incident between our 4th bowlers - their 4th bowler, in an obvious classless act in an attempt to win, made some comments to our 4th bowler who was on 9 strikes - trying to throw him off his game. He didn't falter and threw the 10th strike but then got tapped on the next ball. So their 4th bowler throws and ends up with 6-7-10 split - karma, how does that taste? Looking at the score we are still in this thing. Our 4th bowler (with his old ball) throws a 289. 5th bowlers are now up in a .000000000001mm tight game. Both throw the first 2 strikes. Our 5th bowler throws the 3rd ball and gets tapped - 10 pin. Now we are up by 10 pins and we need the league's best bowler to not throw a strike or we lose (due to tie game, losing totals they would have won the 1st half 68-67). Their 5th bowler gets up there and throws one of the smoothest balls I have ever seen - my heart sank. It slams the pocket and...............................tapped!!!!!! The crowd goes wild (literally our entire league was watching at this point - glad I am the lead off bowler). We win by 1 pin. 1 stinking pin. lol. We are getting our anchor 1 pin for christmas.

Victory was ours (68-67) in the greatest bowling night (maybe not score wise) of my life. It does not get any better than that. I have a phone conference with Oliver Stone later to start working on the movie. It was classic of how we bowled ugly all year and somehow won. Looking forward to the 2nd half. Having way too much fun and happy to be back bowling.

vdubtx
12-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Nice!!! Love seeing stuff like this. True Karma for the douche canoe who tried to put your 4th bowler off their game. Really dislike people that do that.

Mudpuppy
12-11-2013, 11:58 AM
It was truly unbelievable. When that final ball hit and that 1 pin was still standing - absolutely incredible.

Aslan
12-11-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't know if it was the greatest bowling story "ever". I mean, it's no Kingpin or Big Lebowski....maybe on par with Uncle Buck... Not to mention, the FIRST question Oliver Stone is asking is; "was it a sanctioned league?" If the answer is "no"...security is gonna toss ya out the door. :p

So in most leagues wouldn't you have lost 3-1 since you lost the first 2 games and the total pin count?

I think in our Thursday league the team that included a sub par female bowler, a semi-handicapped guy, a good bowler, and a sandbagger beat the team of 3 ultra sandbaggers + a sub par female bowler last Thursday. That was good to see. Still disappointed our team couldn't finish on top or in the top 2 even...but I'm glad "team ultra sandbagger" didn't get rewarded with yet another trophy this season.

Bunny
12-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Wow! What a great night!!

Congrats on the win!!!

Mudpuppy
12-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks Bunny.

No Aslan we lost 5 points to 2 but we only needed 2 to win the 1st half. And yes it was sanctioned otherwise I would have stayed home and wallowed in my mediocrity that is the state of Michigan.

Aslan
12-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks Bunny.

No Aslan we lost 5 points to 2 but we only needed 2 to win the 1st half. And yes it was sanctioned otherwise I would have stayed home and wallowed in my mediocrity that is the state of Michigan.

Then I fully support this thread...since it is sanctioned. AND, I'll add more support by saying...that while a little light for a full feature film...and minus any heterosexual love story...I'm gonna say, maybe 5th best bowling story ever?? Behind Kingpin, Big Lebowski, Uncle Buck, and The Bible (in the event there is a bowling reference I'm unaware of).

And don't be sad about Michigan...4-5 more months and you'll have riding weather again...if it doesn't rain too much. Gosh gee whiz I wish it wasn't 49 degrees this morning...but 50 degrees is my cutoff!! Oh well...I think we're warming up to 75 today...so it's just a matter of dodging the 7 days a year it rains out here. : P

I need new tires though...I think I should break down and bring it in for a full tune-up once I get my annual bonus. I keep resisting because I want to pretend I'm handy enough that I can repair it myself...but last time I tried to do something simple like change the oil I ended up breaking a gasket taking the wrong part off the motor...turns out you don't need to take the motor apart to change the oil....live and learn. DOHT!!

now Bowl is gonna move this response to the motorcycles thread because it's more "motorcycly" than "movieish/storyish". :mad:

tr33frog
12-11-2013, 04:58 PM
The best I can come up with was a few years ago, second to the last week. Needed to win the game to challenge for first the last week. 10th frame I just need a mark and a high count to win. Step up, throw a beautiful pocket 7-10 split. Crushing...

Step up, throw the ball hard at the 10 pin, comes bouncing out from the back corner (which is what I was trying to do) and slid across cleaning out the 7. Most people had looked away and missed it entirely, but were pretty surprised to hear me cheering so loudly when I got it.

Next week we slaughtered the first place team and won.

Good times...

Aslan
12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
The problem with picking up cool splits is…most people assume you won't so they're not paying any attention. : (

Mudpuppy
12-12-2013, 10:17 AM
The best I can come up with was a few years ago, second to the last week. Needed to win the game to challenge for first the last week. 10th frame I just need a mark and a high count to win. Step up, throw a beautiful pocket 7-10 split. Crushing...

Step up, throw the ball hard at the 10 pin, comes bouncing out from the back corner (which is what I was trying to do) and slid across cleaning out the 7. Most people had looked away and missed it entirely, but were pretty surprised to hear me cheering so loudly when I got it.

Next week we slaughtered the first place team and won.

Good times...

That right there is legendary. According to the Aslan scale it now ranks 5th and puts my story back to 6th but that's ok with me. I was honestly thinking 90 minute public broadcast after school special.

Aslan not everyone is strong enough to handle the four seasons. Especially not on days like today when the thermometer reaches single digits. Personally I absolutely love it. I honestly could not ride 12 months a year or I'd be dead right now. Winter gives me time to do other things - like bowl, ride snow mobiles, shoot furry things in the woods. Variety is the spice of my life. Also I can do some mods / maintenance, etc. over winter that in the summer (riding season - officially March 1 through November 15, per what I say and nothing else) I don't want to do. I really suffer zero downtime where if you take your bike in now you are missing out on riding until you get it back. The condensed riding season also helps me focus in the spring on riding safely on the street through what I have learned on the track. Riding all the time I would take this for granted and probably be a hood emblem on a Mack Truck.

But back to the subject at hand - bowling. We are meeting up before bowling this Tuesday for a little team / extended team get together for the holidays and to start the second half. I thought yesterday I should have got a 1st half champs picture Tuesday at the bar after bowling so I am going to try and get one this Tuesday when we go to the bar for our team party and if I do I will post it up. Looking forward to the second half of bowling. My love of bowling has been reignited after this past Tuesday.

sprocket
12-12-2013, 06:46 PM
We won the league championship one year by 7 pins and I was lead off and threw the last 8 strikes. Their anchor guy needed a spare to win but left a split in the tenth. This one loudmouth on their team says afterwards "Yeah, Dave lost it for us". The loudmouth was the ONLY bowler on their team to bowl UNDER his average.

So my team was unsure as to who would be able to come back the following season and they were supposed to let me know. I hadn't heard anything so I just showed up the first week. They had REPLACED me with one of their buddies but he didn't show up the first week. The team captain said I could bowl but they couldn't guarantee me a spot because the other guy was supposed to bowl full time. He said that I was supposed to have contacted him before the start of the season if I was going to bowl. I already told him at the end of the last season that I could bowl.

So screw them, I switched teams. Their buddy showed up maybe once and then they bowled short for a long time. I liked the guys on my new team and bowled with them for several more years.