PDA

View Full Version : Contest Dec 23, 2013 to Dec 29, 2013 - Hammer Cold Blood

BowlingBoards.com
12-22-2013, 11:56 PM
We are giving away a Hammer Cold Blood for a random poster from Dec 23, 2013 through Dec 29, 2013.

== General Giveaway Rules

Every post made on BowlingBoards during the dates listed above will be considered an entry. Drawing will be done the first business day following the contest period. Winner will be contacted via email and through BowlingBoards.com.

BowlingBoards is a moderated site and reserves the right to delete any post deemed illegitimate, automatic, or just plain off topic.

The goal of BowlingBoards is to bring more people into our community. Participate in the conversations happening here. And while you are at it, you will be earning entries into our drawing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE! -- We reserve the right to redraw a winner if the winning post is not of quality content. Quality content is at the sole discretion of the BowlingBoards.com administrators. This means that one word posts will not qualify. Repeating what someone else has said does not qualify.

Just participate in the conversation instead of \"trying to win\" a drawing. The more you participate, the better your chances.

MICHAEL
12-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Iceman's blood runs cold,,, You Might say he has COLD BLOOD!!! His wife's blood runs even colder,,, many times, you might say frigid!
Put her down for this blood relative ball! Good luck to all, and to all a good night! LOL

striker12
12-23-2013, 02:12 AM
iceman you don't need a ball this aggressive you already got bowling balls near the cold bloods performaces.

i don't even need a ball this strong because of my higher rev rate but if i win it i plan on giving it away to 1 bowler in my jr league is has only got 1 ball and its a urethane ball witch i don't even know the name of it because its old.

sprocket
12-23-2013, 06:26 AM
I live in MN and next week we will have high temps like -12. My blood might be the only thing that isn't cold. I would love to win this ball though. I don't really have a real aggressive ball. I also haven't used a Hammer ball since my old Blue Hammer.

bbgamer884
12-23-2013, 07:13 AM
I want to have a reason to keep all my balls and buy a 6 ball bag. please let me win, or at least save me for a brunswick contest so i can have 2 brunswick balls, 2 ebonite balls, and 2 storm balls.

bigjimbo316
12-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Would be a great Christmas present!!

MICHAEL
12-23-2013, 09:47 AM
iceman you don't need a ball this aggressive you already got bowling balls near the cold bloods performaces.

i don't even need a ball this strong because of my higher rev rate but if i win it i plan on giving it away to 1 bowler in my jr league is has only got 1 ball and its a urethane ball witch i don't even know the name of it because its old.

striker, I don't need this ball, BUT like others on here, I want this one for the woman I love! She melts my Cold Blood, and keeps me human, rather then ICE!

If I win the drawing, I would want a 14lb for her! She is one darn GOOD BOWLER... one of the better women bowlers on our leagues. She does not have an asymmetrical high performance ball!

She does have a low to medium rev rate, and medium speed! This ball would be right up her alley, in regards to bowing style!

striker12
12-23-2013, 10:58 AM
striker, I don't need this ball, BUT like others on here, I want this one for the woman I love! She melts my Cold Blood, and keeps my human, rather then ICE!

If I win the drawing, I would want a 14lb for her! She is one darn GOOD BOWLER... one of the better women bowlers on our leagues. She does not have an asymmetrical high performance ball!

She does have a low to medium rev rate, and medium speed! This ball would be right up her alley, in regards to bowing style!

lol iceman you know i was playing with you right i seen in your first post it was for her thats why i put you don't need it your already too good and your already got cold blood if you hold a bowling blal lnog enough you might change that ball into a cold blood lol

vdubtx
12-23-2013, 11:06 AM
This ball would be a nice compliment in the bag with my First Blood. :cool:

MICHAEL
12-23-2013, 11:19 AM
lol iceman you know i was playing with you right i seen in your first post it was for her thats why i put you don't need it your already too good and your already got cold blood if you hold a bowling blal lnog enough you might change that ball into a cold blood lol

You know striker, I have destroyed several balls just from doing that!! HOLDING THE BALL IN MY bare hands too long!!

They shatter, into a million pieces, when I toss them from my Ice Cold Hands to the lanes!

I have learned to cup them with an insulated glove on my left hand, then make the delivery asap!!!!

I don't know HOW MANY TIMES MY wife has said to me: "ICEMAN,,, buuuurrrrr,,, you have cold hands!!

I take that as a complement!!

P.S. I even froze an Infernal ball that a friend owned! Had a hell of a time doing it, but I got the job done!!

e-tank
12-23-2013, 12:02 PM
How fitting to give away a cold blood in the middle of winter lol

striker12
12-23-2013, 12:24 PM
You know striker, I have destroyed several balls just from doing that!! HOLDING THE BALL IN MY bare hands too long!!

They shatter, into a million pieces, when I toss them from my Ice Cold Hands to the lanes!

I have learned to cup them with an insulated glove on my left hand, then make the delivery asap!!!!

I don't know HOW MANY TIMES MY wife has said to me: "ICEMAN,,, buuuurrrrr,,, you have cold hands!!

I take that as a complement!!

P.S. I even froze an Infernal ball that a friend owned! Had a hell of a time doing it, but I got the job done!!

lol thats funny i just got my new brunswick bowling shirt it just came in had to weight abit for it because i had to get a XL even though i can fit into a large in a large its too tight on my shoulders but on the back on the shirt it says.

(Brunswick Great Balls Of Fire) lol this is alittle christmas gift to me now i just need to get my name on it.

but that little saying would be a great nick name -------- Stephen "Great Balls Of Fire" wilson lol

Jaescrub
12-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Grats to 300 on last weeks win ;)

tccstudent
12-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I have a teammate that keeps talking about wanting a Cold Blood if I were to win I would just give it to him. That would make a good late Christmas present dont ya think.

billsey420
12-23-2013, 06:00 PM
i would love to win a ball on my first post

mike_thomas93
12-23-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm guessing my username's not attractive enough to even win a ball off here. I guess I gotta have a fancy username to have a chance. :( should I just throw in the towel?

e-tank
12-23-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm guessing my username's not attractive enough to even win a ball off here. I guess I gotta have a fancy username to have a chance. :( should I just throw in the towel?

took me about 800 posts and almost a year of being here. Some people win it within 50 posts and 1 month here. Just the luck of the draw i guess

bowl1820
12-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Hang in there it took me 5 years to win one.

mike_thomas93
12-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Alright I'll stay encouraged. After all, can't win if you don't play, right?

mike_thomas93
12-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Random drawing apparently. Ugh if only I could change my username to something entertaining and stuff. ;p

BadJerk
12-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Been trying to get this ball for a long time, but no money..

BadJerk
12-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Would be the greatest to win

tccstudent
12-23-2013, 10:13 PM
While I would love to win just for winning sake and I do have a friend who would love to have this ball. This really isnt my first choice for a ball, but bieng competative as i am I just want to win and besides I have never won a ball from anywhere. Hell in 3 years in a certain league I have never even won the 50/50 drawing If you dont get the point it is I JUST WANT TO WIN

MICHAEL
12-24-2013, 09:45 AM

FIVE years!! LOL What is the incentive of even being an admin person if you don't get any perk's? How does one become an administrative person like yourself? You do a fine job, posting, and adding to discusions might I say!

Iceman will try to get you ANOTHER ball sooner! You should get one every 6 months in my humble opinion, just for keeping things on the UP, and UP!! LOL

Have a GREAT CHRISTMAS bowl1820!!

If I lived closer to you, We could meet, have a cup of coffee, and battle each other with our Beatdowns!!
It would be an epic meeting of two warriors! Who would be the victor!! :confused:

Bunny
12-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Been trying to get this ball for a long time, but no money..

It's only been out 2 1/2 months. :confused:

Bunny
12-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Whaaaaaat? That ain't right!!

Now I feel like a schmuck for winning two in a week!

e-tank
12-24-2013, 12:09 PM
It's only been out 2 1/2 months. :confused:

lol the contest thread only posters never reply to me when i ask them to explain some of their posts

Jaescrub
12-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I have seen that most of the lady's win on here fast ;) and I'm fine with that. I won kinda fast too. I'm not fine with the fact I set out to win one for my self before the end of the year and was told it would never happen I'll just keep up hope ha ha ha.

Bunny
12-24-2013, 12:59 PM
I have seen that most of the lady's win on here fast ;) and I'm fine with that. I won kinda fast too. I'm not fine with the fact I set out to win one for my self before the end of the year and was told it would never happen I'll just keep up hope ha ha ha.

Ladies first, as they say!!

Hey, you still have another chance!!

Love my First Blood. It's super versatile but it can start hooking early as the lanes transition. The Cold Blood would be a nice 1-2 punch!!

Bunny
12-24-2013, 01:01 PM
lol the contest thread only posters never reply to me when i ask them to explain some of their posts

Yep! That post didn't make no sense!!

Jaescrub
12-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Bunny if you think that first hooks a lil early that cold blood is evil it's a hook monster

Bunny
12-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Bunny if you think that first hooks a lil early that cold blood is evil it's a hook monster

For sure! But with the pearl coverstock it should get through the fronts smoother and be a little longer. :confused:

One of us will just have to win it so we can do some R&D!!

Perrin
12-24-2013, 03:59 PM
I'll volunteer to show it in video compared to a Brunswick Meanstreak Beatdown if my name is pulled :)

dnhoffman
12-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Holy cow 4 pages already!

Aslan
12-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Holy cow 4 pages already!

WHAT!!? Another ball giveaway!!

I need this ball…look good in my bag…fill my ARSEnal…it's my favorite color…it's my wife's favorite color…it's my birthday…it's my wife's birthday…I never win anything…if I win it I'll give it to charity…and I've never rolled a Hammer Cold Blood before but would love to give it a try…phew…that was exhausting!

Oh…to make post relevant and informative:

About 3/4 of an average turd is water.

Now give me the ball please!!!

Rhoads
12-25-2013, 12:33 AM
would love to get my hands on this

tccstudent
12-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Next week is my birthday 12/31/1976 and I need a birthday present

ragstormfan
12-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm curious if Hammer actually succeeded in making a super-hooking ball this time. I haven't thrown hammer since the black widow pearl a couple years ago.

e-tank
12-26-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm curious if Hammer actually succeeded in making a super-hooking ball this time. I haven't thrown hammer since the black widow pearl a couple years ago.

Is this ball meant to be super hooking?

tccstudent
12-26-2013, 05:08 PM
This is a very aggressive ball on of the strongest on the market right now

Aslan
12-26-2013, 06:11 PM

If you go by bowling ball.com's "Perfect Scale"…which I personally feel is the best, most fair rating scale…it is #14-15 of current balls, tied with the Storm BYTE.

However, that list doesn't include older model balls. I have 900 Global Bullet Train in my closet undrilled…and it's got a higher PerfectScale rating (slightly) than the Cold Blood. And bowling ball.com doesn't list every manufacturer. There are some Lord Field and Lane #1 balls that I "think" have a bigger back end…but I don't think bowling ball.com carries those brands.

But yes, it does appear to be the highest hook rated Hammer ball. Despite having a ball in their line-up called "Absolute Hook"…which is far less "hooking" than the Cold Blood (according to PerfectScale).

e-tank
12-26-2013, 06:15 PM

I disagree. Strong ball? Sure. One of the strongest? Not so much

tccstudent
12-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I disagree. Strong ball? Sure. One of the strongest? Not so much

I personally don't know that I have ever seen this ball go down the lanes. I do have a few friends that have been saying they want this ball.
I don't know that this would be a good match for me for league play since the houses are light to medium oil.
It may be a good tourney ball or nice to have on the longer PBA patterns when the summer PBA league starts back up

Jaescrub
12-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes I won this ball gave it to our teammate he is a lefty all the oil to himself and this thing is very aggressive has a heavy backed move. More then his disterbed.

Aslan
12-26-2013, 06:52 PM
I personally don't know that I have ever seen this ball go down the lanes. I do have a few friends that have been saying they want this ball.
I don't know that this would be a good match for me for league play since the houses are light to medium oil.
It may be a good tourney ball or nice to have on the longer PBA patterns when the summer PBA league starts back up

I haven't seen many on the lanes yet. To me, I think Hammer messed up because they made this ball so similar in reaction to the First Blood that you might as well just get a First Blood. It'll be interesting to see more people start to throw it who have also thrown the First Blood (Bunny?) to see if they notice a difference.

Same thing with the Storm BYTE. Storm "claims" it provides a better/more consistent backend than the SYNC…yet the SYNC still has a higher PerfectScore rating…so I wonder if people are going to be disappointed when they shell out over $200 for a BYTE and find out it has less reaction than a SYNC or even IQ Tour.

tccstudent
12-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Now your talking about a solid reactive versus a Pearl reactive there is a big difference there and if you are bringing in the IQ Tour you need to specify which one since there are two a solid and a pearl
I haven't had a Hammer ball since the Black Widow Venom I thought the Black Widow series was a awesome set of balls. I have not been impressed with anything that I have seen since.
With what your saying that Storm "claims" that should be true since Pearl's typically get down the lane further and have a better back end while solids typically start hooking a little sooner
With as hard as I throw the ball I need that earlier rolling solid I do have a few Pearls but they dont get used near as much as my solids or hybrids

e-tank
12-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Now your talking about a solid reactive versus a Pearl reactive there is a big difference there and if you are bringing in the IQ Tour you need to specify which one since there are two a solid and a pearl
I haven't had a Hammer ball since the Black Widow Venom I thought the Black Widow series was a awesome set of balls. I have not been impressed with anything that I have seen since.
With what your saying that Storm "claims" that should be true since Pearl's typically get down the lane further and have a better back end while solids typically start hooking a little sooner
With as hard as I throw the ball I need that earlier rolling solid I do have a few Pearls but they dont get used near as much as my solids or hybrids

Said it perfectly. The byte is the pearl version of the sync and the cold blood is the pearl version of the first blood. Not to mention the perfect scale doesnt mean much. For example hammer made the first blood for ths yet its rated a 220 on the perfect scale which would be in line with a heavy oil ball which it is not. Another example is the raptor talon, prob one of the strongest balls ever made and made for heaviest of oils yet its rated a 218 on the perfect scale...

Aslan
12-27-2013, 01:19 AM
I think hook ratings are difficult because among other things, you can take any ball and drill it to hook. Especially with an asymmetric core. If you have an asymmetric core, and you use a layout designed for optimum hook…and add a balance hole…I mean…bamm…you got a hooking monster! Not to mention…you can take a plastic or urethane ball…throw it 2-handed or thumbless and get a massive hook.

There's just so many variables that go into it. Thats why I really appreciate PerfectScale for at least "trying" to make a consistent grading scale. And I also appreciate reaction videos where the company shows players of different types throwing the ball. Because I don't really care what a ball does when a high rev cranker throws it…that tells me nothing. But if they show 4 people and 1-2 of them are lower rev strokers…that tells me a GREAT deal.

Aslan
12-27-2013, 01:23 AM
For example hammer made the first blood for ths yet its rated a 220 on the perfect scale which would be in line with a heavy oil ball which it is not. ...

I think it depends how you throw it. I've seen a LOT of First Bloods…probably the most popular ball on the lanes where I play…and I've seen it hook uncontrollably forcing players to move inside…and I've seen it have a nice arc…depends how they are throwing it. Haven't seen any cold bloods yet…interested in seeing what it does when it starts showing up.

e-tank
12-27-2013, 02:42 PM
I think hook ratings are difficult because among other things, you can take any ball and drill it to hook. Especially with an asymmetric core. If you have an asymmetric core, and you use a layout designed for optimum hook…and add a balance hole…I mean…bamm…you got a hooking monster! Not to mention…you can take a plastic or urethane ball…throw it 2-handed or thumbless and get a massive hook.

There's just so many variables that go into it. Thats why I really appreciate PerfectScale for at least "trying" to make a consistent grading scale. And I also appreciate reaction videos where the company shows players of different types throwing the ball. Because I don't really care what a ball does when a high rev cranker throws it…that tells me nothing. But if they show 4 people and 1-2 of them are lower rev strokers…that tells me a GREAT deal.

I think it depends how you throw it. I've seen a LOT of First Bloods…probably the most popular ball on the lanes where I play…and I've seen it hook uncontrollably forcing players to move inside…and I've seen it have a nice arc…depends how they are throwing it. Haven't seen any cold bloods yet…interested in seeing what it does when it starts showing up.

Im just gonna go ahead and direct you here http://www.modern-bowling.com/Bowling-Coach-Bowling-Balls-Las-Vegas-NV.html

Read everything

Aslan
12-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Im just gonna go ahead and direct you here http://www.modern-bowling.com/Bowling-Coach-Bowling-Balls-Las-Vegas-NV.html

Read everything

I've already read it a couple times and the simple fact is…while many of his points are valid…his overall premise is incorrect. A bowler can change the reaction of his/her ball via surface changes. And a ball's reaction can change incredibly based on release, ball speed, loft, and lane conditions. To say that bowling is just a matter of having a huge ball ARSEnal so that you have a ball for every condition is silly.

I can throw a urethane ball straight as an arrow, a lady can throw the same exact ball with a low speed helicopter release and get it to hook brooklyn, and a thumbless bowler can make that same ball go from side to side…gutter to gutter. So? Is it that said ball isn't a good match for the lane conditions?

I can out bowl any lane conditions. I can change my release, I can move laterally, and I can change speeds. I can loft it or if need be I can even scuff it with some sandpaper to make it break earlier.

In this day and age…far too many "pros" are working hand in hand with bowling ball manufacturers to try and convince every intermediate bowler out there that they need 3-12 bowling balls and a couple roller bags. Funny how 50 years ago bowlers used 1-2 balls…and still managed to pioneer the sport.

GoodGravy
12-28-2013, 11:37 AM
I have some friends on my league team that might do really well with this ball...would love to be able to give it to them!

tccstudent
12-28-2013, 12:20 PM
, and a thumbless bowler can make that same ball go from side to side…gutter to gutter. So? Is it that said ball isn't a good match for the lane conditions?

You dont have to take your thumb out of the ball to do this you just need lots of practice to develop a lot of "hand" I have a rev rate in the high side at 500 but with my ball speed really high to it helps me keep the ball tamed down If I slow my speed way down i can go gutter to gutter to Brooklyn easily too me when you take your thumb out you lose control When I was learning to throw a hook I wasnt using my thumb untill the bowling alley owner told me if I didnt put my thumb back in he was gonna kick me out. Then he came down and helped teach me to throw a proper hooking ball

Aslan
12-28-2013, 04:47 PM
What I meant by my response is that the premise that "if a ball aint working, go grab another" is a logical fallacy because if you take that thought process to it's conclusion…it would mean the bowler with every ball on the market would just need to know what ball to throw and his/her 300 would be in the bag.

And from my own personal experience…throwing different balls on vastly different lane conditions…I can tell you that changing release and changing speeds can take virtually any symmetric core ball and make it do vastly different things. I don't "NEED" a spare ball because I can simply increase my speed and not snap my wrist as much….straight as an arrow. I can then take that SAME ball, slow it down to the 14mph range…and watch it hook from board 8 all the way over to the 4-pin. And if it's hooking just a "little" to much….in addition to lateral movement…I can loft it a little further down the lanes and there ya go…right into the pocket.

And it's not just me. Pros do the same thing. On a pro tv telecast, they'll generally use 1-2 balls plus a spare ball. But if you watch enough bowling…you'll see examples of pros moving back/forward, side/side, change speeds, and even loft. I just watched Mika roll in a match where the announcers talked about how he was adding a little loft to get the ball to break further down the lane.

I WILL admit that I was wrong about the need for a "spare ball". I recognize that if someone uses a strong asymmetric core ball…hitting a single 10-pin may be much harder with a strong ball. You could loft it…you could flatten your wrist….and yes, you could still be successful picking it up. But you're making it more difficult and I understand that. And Lord knows we don't want to make picking up spares harder than they already are. But the need for more than a 4-ball ARSEnal…for most bowlers that bowl at ONE center…maybe 2…rarely a local tournament…I still don't see it.

Wait…what were we talking about? Oh yeah…Hammer Cold Blood…I need to win it…it's the greatest call ever made!! And it's my favorite color!! And It'll be my birthday sometime within the next year!! PICK ME!!

tccstudent
12-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Aslan how often is it really the balls fault that you aint strike you can find a good line with just about any ball out there throwing a 300 has little to do with the ball and a lot to do with shot replication of course all these proshop and ball reviews are trying to push different ball its all about profit maximization
You really need about four balls one that is gonna give you length for the drier conditions one that is gonna roll a little earlier for the wetter conditions something in between and a spare ball.

Now for the true topic of this thread Tuesday is my birthday and I need a present so give me the ball

Aslan
12-28-2013, 08:37 PM
You're smarter than the average bear kiddo. I agree 100%. Pro bowlers once struck and scored well over 200 throwing a rubber ball straight at the pocket (well, with a "little" hook). But "magically"…nowadays people like the guy e-tank linked to seem to preach that if you're not rolling 280 games it's because you have a "hole in your arsenal". Ha ha…hole in your arse…nal. Thats funny.

When I started bowling on heavy oil synthetics…I struggled BIG TIME. I kept lofting it high and throwing at 19-20mph and it would just sail right of the pocket. And, as a beginner, I immediately thought, "Oh no! I need a new ball! This one doesn't work!! I need a bigger arsenal!!" Then…I made a minor surface change…that "almost/sorta" helped. But then I learned how to use the lane…throw slower, lower loft….use more of the lane. And slowly but surely…I've gotten better. I DID get a new ball drilled as well..just to give me a "little" more help on heavier oil, allow me to play inside if need be, AND allow me to polish up the other ball so that it would react better on wood lanes…but slowing the ball down has done more than ANY ball change could have.

tccstudent
12-28-2013, 09:08 PM
When I started bowling on heavy oil synthetics…I struggled BIG TIME.

Really I started out on wood and the wood house that I was bowling at was not well kept up it has needed to be resurfaced for the last 10 years. When I started bowling leagues in Tulsa on synthetics my average jumped 30 pins immediately
The wood lanes were so dry you were moving by the 3rd frame of the first game. By the end of the night I was lofting the gutter. On synthetics I was able to play much straighter haven't you ever heard straighters greater.

Me personally the only reason I am getting a few new balls right now is because one of my go to balls cracked and the other has at least 500 games on it. So i traded the cracked Franic for a Reign On and I am going to retire the Reign of Fire for a Reign of Power

Aslan
12-28-2013, 10:35 PM
I think most people are like you. They struggle on wood because the heavier hooking balls and high rev rates just don't react well on wood until you learn to play inside. And many people just hate the idea of playing inside. And since wood lanes are so rare nowadays…it's actually rare to be in the position we were in where we started out on wood lanes and had to adjust. When I first started…hell, I didn't even know lanes were made out of different materials or had different oil patterns. I figured every alley was the same. Oops.

Hey man…get as many balls as ya want. For what it's worth, I have 2 in my bag, a retired one in my hall closet and 8 more undrilled in my bedroom closet. So I have no problem with "collections". Hell…might even be getting a 9th NIB one if the guy on BBE ever gets back to me.

tccstudent
12-28-2013, 10:59 PM
You havent had any ball crack on you yet have you. I have had 3 balls crack in the last year and two was just sitting in my closet with one being undrilled

sprocket
12-28-2013, 11:55 PM
I don't think I need very many different balls but I'll tell you what, I don't know what I would do right now without my old Strike Zone. I don't know exactly what it is about that ball that makes it work so well for me but I am working on finding out precisely what it is so I can apply it to a new ball. Although the ball still has its greatness it is old and I rely on polish to make it work well which can be hard to duplicate and.... it doesn't matter, the point I'm trying to make is that although I am in total agreement that the need for a big arsenal is a complete farce, I do think it is incredibly important to find the cover, core and layout that works best for you. And that is a big catch 22 because you may have to try many combinations to find it and that requires an arsenal. A very wise ball driller or a good deal of research online may give you a good idea of where to start so it doesn't take a pile of balls and redrills to find the right combo.

The conditions we play on just aren't the same as they used to be. I wish they were but they are not. The reason they are not is pretty much a complete money making scam too because if you blocked the lanes back in the '60s to the extent that they are today, even with the lower volume of oil back then and rubber balls, the scores would have been astronomical. The reason pros back then only needed one ball is because until plastic came along all balls were pretty much the same for like 40 years. Hard rubber and pancake weight block. The volume and viscosity of oil we have now requires the coverstocks we have now to deal with it. And the varying lengths of oil and the placement of the oil means that finding the right core and layout dynamics are important to be able to best play conditions and not end up with a big over/under reaction and to hook at the right point. But I'm talking about one or two personal layouts, not 15.

Thursday night I went out to practice at 9:30 pm and the lanes were toast. The first few shots missed the headpin running away left. Over time I found that there was still a shot way outside using my Strike Zone. It was around 8 at the arrows to 3 at the breakpoint. A slight miss left was runaway Brooklyn but there was still some area. After several games I moved inside to around fourth arrow with the same ball. I had a little area there too and the carry was just as good. I didn't need some other special ball to turn the corner from inside. I did need THAT BALL though. My other two worked lousy from any angle.

Aslan
12-29-2013, 05:13 PM
You havent had any ball crack on you yet have you. I have had 3 balls crack in the last year and two was just sitting in my closet with one being undrilled

WHAT!!? What kinda crack arse balls are you buying?? I have NOT had a ball crack yet. I would think they'd crack from me high lofting them or firing them 20mph at the pins…more so than just sitting in my closet. Unless you live in an igloo. Do you live in an igloo?:confused: :cool:

tccstudent
12-29-2013, 05:36 PM
I had a brand new one week old DV8 Hellraiser Revenge crack while bowling came back from the ball return cracked all the way around
A frantic sitting on the floor in the closet
A undrilled Meanstreak Brawler cracked on the floor in the closet

The Hellraiser was replaced by the proshop The other two I bought off someone else so there was no warranty

Aslan
12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
My Frantic is sorta like your strike zone. It just seemed to work well the way I was throwing it. And then, of course, as a newbie…I went and messed with it. I scuffed it up trying to get more reaction out of it…essentially trying to make a low-medium oil ball…drilled conservatively…to act like a heavy oil, pro-performance ball drilled aggressively. And, as you can imagine…that didn't work well. It made it react too early on low oil. And it made it less predictable as a straight ball on heavier oil. Rookie mistake.

But, it's polished back up now…and working good again. Now it's a matter of my release. I do well with a higher loft, higher rev, higher speed release. It's not "typical"…but there are very good amateur bowlers that do well with that type of release. Or…I can continue working on my more conventional release…that has improved a great deal and will be more necessary as my center transitions to slicker lanes.

Aslan
12-29-2013, 05:55 PM
I had a brand new one week old DV8 Hellraiser Revenge crack while bowling came back from the ball return cracked all the way around
A frantic sitting on the floor in the closet
A undrilled Meanstreak Brawler cracked on the floor in the closet

The Hellraiser was replaced by the proshop The other two I bought off someone else so there was no warranty

Weird. I have never heard of that.

tccstudent
12-29-2013, 06:20 PM
I have seen them crack sitting on the shelves in the proshop happens all the time

JJStriker
12-29-2013, 08:15 PM
I've had balls that I've quit using and stored them in a hot shed with temps rising into the 90's and have never had a ball crack.

sara2117
12-29-2013, 08:22 PM
I think it has something to do with the oil setting into the ball. But I personally have never had one of mine crack.

Aslan
12-29-2013, 09:04 PM
For a solid resin ball to crack…it would need some type of stress. And then something to trigger it to crack. Change in temperature…the ball hitting the lane, etc… But for a resin to spontaneously crack…with no temperature or force applied. Just weird. It would be like a plate sitting on a shelf in your kitchen…suddenly it cracks. Just odd. I mean, when they crack like that (tccs), is it at the join where the two halves come together?? I mean, I guess that could be a factory defect…improper adhesion. Weird.

bowl1820
12-29-2013, 09:25 PM
For a solid resin ball to crack…it would need some type of stress. And then something to trigger it to crack. Change in temperature…the ball hitting the lane, etc… But for a resin to spontaneously crack…with no temperature or force applied. Just weird. It would be like a plate sitting on a shelf in your kitchen…suddenly it cracks.

They crack because the coverstock is placed under tension as it cures and shrinks slightly around a non-compressable core. Once a crack starts it's the tension in the cover material that causes it to propagate around the ball.

Things that can start a crack:
Temperature Changes
Gravity
you let the ball sit too long without rotating it.
the glue used to put the inserts in
the glue was placed on the cover stock not the filler
too much glue was used
the holes not beveled
bad plug job
the bit they drilled the holes with was dull
Drilled the holes too fast
the bridge is too narrow
the holes are to close to the pin

and undrilled balls can just split on the shelf, in the closet etc., just not as often as drilled ones but it does happen.

If you leave a ball setting on a hard surface, in ball cup or rack without moving it . They can develop flat spots.

Just odd. I mean, when they crack like that (tccs), is it at the join where the two halves come together?? I mean, I guess that could be a factory defect…improper adhesion. Weird.

They can't crack at the join of the two halves, because the ball isn't made in halves and stuck together.

They suspend the core in a mold and the coverstock is poured around it. So the cover is one piece.

Now a core can separate from the coverstock, your can hear it rattle inside when it does.

Aslan
12-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Bowl1820 may hate me…but he IS smarter than the average bear…I'll give him that.

I was thinking undrilled. Obviously, drilling in and of itself is a stressor just like temperature and impact.

But…for some reason I thought the balls were put together in "halves"….so ya learn something new every day!!

Now tcc is making me paranoid. Im gonna be scared by balls in the closet are going to spontaneously explode before I get a chance to even drill/use them. :mad:

tccstudent
12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Overall I have probably had 6 crack on me over the years. 4 of them were at the end of their life anyways.
Recently one of the proshops around here was selling some balls for someone that passed away. These balls were over 10 years old El Nino 2000, V2 All of these were in good condition after all that time. The V2 actually started a bidding war.

Perrin
12-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Grats to the Winner... Bizwan65

Aslan
12-31-2013, 02:43 AM

Must have been a Facebook win since that dude hasn't posted on the boards since October.

sprocket
12-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too. "Participate in the conversations happening here. And while you are at it, you will be earning entries into our drawing".

I mean I'm happy for him and all but maybe I just don't quite understand everything a person can do to enter. I don't TRY to win I just post because I love bowling.

Aslan
12-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too. "Participate in the conversations happening here. And while you are at it, you will be earning entries into our drawing".

I mean I'm happy for him and all but maybe I just don't quite understand everything a person can do to enter. I don't TRY to win I just post because I love bowling.

I only post to win a ball.

But seriously…I wonder if that were true if the site wouldn't just say, "Okay…give him one to get rid of him." Huh?? I don't know...

Bizwan65
12-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Sweet. Sorry if people don't feel I deserve it. For what it's worth, I'll be giving it to my son.

Bizwan65
12-31-2013, 05:32 PM

That awesome. What do I need to do?

bowl1820
12-31-2013, 05:50 PM
That awesome. What do I need to do?

They should have sent you a PM. if not just PM the admin. for details on getting it.

Bizwan65
12-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Thank you.

Blacksox1
12-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Congrats to all winners, even those on Facebook! When one wins, we ALL win !

sprocket
12-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Congrats and you do deserve it! I'm just curious what else I can do to increase my chances? I do drop a line on Facebook from time to time. Are there other ways to enter besides that?

Aslan
12-31-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm screwed. I got voted off of Facebook.
:o