PDA

View Full Version : What causes Ball Spin? (top spin)

the_grimace
12-30-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm talking about the kind of spin you typically don't want. You see it referred to as "top spin" or "helicopter spin". I've been bowling for about 14 years now, since I was 12, and average about 195-200 in League. Sadly I've been stuck at that 195 average for YEARS, like 10 or so! Being self taught is just the start of my problems, but one of my big problems is that I notice many of my shots I end up spinning the ball instead of properly turning it. In short my release is all over the place. One shot I turn it well, get a perfect strike. Next shot I turn TOO much somehow, it goes high, next few shots I end up spinning the ball and they slide right through my break point.

What I'm wondering is what exactly causes the ball to spin? Is it caused from turning too early? Perhaps over-turning? A lax wrist at release? (which would be odd since I feel I keep a firm wrist) Maybe a combination of these? As they say, knowledge is power, so it's hard to implement a fix when you don't know where exactly the problem is! I feel that my average would improve by at least 10 pins if I could get rid of my ball spin completely, as inconsistent ball reaction from spin is usually the reason I miss a strike. I've seriously considered trying two handed bowling just for a more consistent ball turn because I'm pretty decent at hitting marks right now. Any tips or advice is much appreciated, thank you!

bowl1820
12-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Your getting too much axis tilt (spin), basically the hand turns too early and your thumb is exiting on top of the ball.

Axis tilt is determined by the position of the thumb during the release, some things to change your axis tilt are by how you Cock the wrist, cupping the ball (Keeping your wrist firm at least)

Study the Analysis of the modern 10-Pin Bowling Swing and Release video here:
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/9529-Analysis-of-the-modern-10-Pin-Bowling-Swing-and-Release

tr33frog
12-30-2013, 04:48 PM
The most basic thing I can tell you is that you need to concentrate on keeping your hand under your ball and as you release slightly go to the side. After you release the ball, if your fingers are pointing down you are going to helicopter the ball. So when you are warming up, stop and check your hand after release. I'm not sure what the current rule of thumb is, but I always heard you should end up with your hand in a hand-shaking position.

Hope that helps some.

Hammer
12-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Ball spin is caused by your hand turning over the top of the ball when you let it go. Believe it or not all you have to do is turn your hand an inch or two to put good revs on the ball at the release. Before you release the ball make sure your hand is behind the ball when you reach the release area and your fingers are under the horizontal equator of the ball. The equator of the ball is meant that a line is drawn
around the center of the ball on a horizontal plane like a plate laying on a table. When you rotate your hand that inch or two make sure just your hand turns and not your whole arm. Your hand can turn by itself without turning your whole arm. So the turn area with your hand can be anywhere from 0 degrees which is staying behind the ball to 90 degrees which would be like the handshake position. You do not want to go further then 90 degrees because then you are getting into the ball spinning area which will not give the ball the right grip in the dry area of the alley to go from the hook phase to the roll phase. Just turning your hand at release from behind the ball to one or two inches is enough to make the ball hook nicely. How much hook you get depends on the ball you are using and what oil pattern you are bowling on. For example you cannot do coast to coast bowling on a typical house pattern with a plastic spare ball. If you are looking for a ball that hooks you have to get it drilled for a fingertip grip and tell the guy at the pro shop what lane conditions you will be bowling on and how much experience you have. He can steer you to a ball and what layout you should have.

the_grimace
12-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the responses! So it seems essentially what my problem is honestly a combination of overturning AND turning my hand early. To be honest I always felt I've overturned. It's funny because when I do throw that shot that has really good revs on it I feel like I didn't do much with turning the ball at all. The times I TRY to turn the ball, it ends up spinning. Next time I practice I'm going to really take a hard look at when my hand is turning and trying to come more off the back instead of actually physically turning the ball. (which is probably a big cause of the spin)

Is there any training accessories that can help prevent over turning or the hand turning early? Stuff like gloves, wrist supports, etc? Never used any of them but would definitely use them if it could help facilitate the changes I need to make.

tccstudent
12-30-2013, 10:51 PM
There is something that I have heard told to newer bowlers to help then develop the proper motion of throwing a bowling ball that may help you get the muscle memory down. Take a football and throw spirals underhanded it is the same motion that you use in releasing the ball

bowl1820
12-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Sorry had the wrong link above, its fixed now.

bowl1820
12-30-2013, 10:59 PM
There is something that I have heard told to newer bowlers to help then develop the proper motion of throwing a bowling ball that may help you get the muscle memory down. Take a football and throw spirals underhanded it is the same motion that you use in releasing the ball

the football drill is okay, but they came up with another they think is better. using softball.

The release drill using a softball

Click Here for Softball Drill Video (http://tinypic.com/r/vy1f2p/5)

GeoLes
01-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I practice in the gymnasium with a soccor ball against a wall. I keep my hands under the ball (thumb and pinky raised with middle fingers pointed forward throughout the motion). Swing and release (at the last split second exptend he hand forward, fingers together like a handshake with a natural, gentle snap. Try it, You'll like it.

Aslan
01-08-2014, 04:32 PM
the football drill is okay, but they came up with another they think is better. using softball.

The release drill using a softball

Click Here for Softball Drill Video (http://tinypic.com/r/vy1f2p/5)

That was actually a very simple way to explain what Rob was talking about where you get revs without moving your hand up the ball.

I'm actually quite interested in trying that...but also kinda frightened.... : o

bowl1820
01-08-2014, 05:27 PM
That was actually a very simple way to explain what Rob was talking about where you get revs without moving your hand up the ball.

I'm actually quite interested in trying that...but also kinda frightened.... : o

It's basically the same motion as turning a doorknob. Palm up, hand cocked, grab a doorknob and a 1/4 turn.

Ron Clifton:
"The proper motion is often described as turning a door knob and indeed that is not too far from the truth. If you walk up to a door knob with your palm up, your wrist cocked and cupped and turn the knob you will be close to the right motion."

Aslan
01-08-2014, 06:44 PM
If you're taking your hand from the inside and motioning to the outside. Why is that a better spin than rotating from the bottom around the outside? It seems like in both cases you hand is traveling 90-180 degrees. I'm just wondering why it's so much better to go inside quadrant 135 degrees and release your hand to the right...versus going from under the ball up the side about 135 degrees. Seems like same ball, same hand, same spin. Confusing.