PDA

View Full Version : Playing Your "A" Game by Rob Mautner

bowl1820
12-30-2013, 05:47 PM
interesting article :

Playing Your "A" Game
by Rob Mautner

Many traditional bowlers who grew up when bowlers showed up with one bowling ball in a single ball bag and a pair of bowling shoes that had been worn for the last ten or twelve years, really have a problem with the concept that modern bowling really requires an arsenal of bowling balls. The most common excuse that I hear is that a really good bowler can adjust by changing hand positions, ball speed, loft, and line. In other words, they are implying that bowlers who use ball changes as adjustments are somehow inferior bowlers. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The reason that the phrase, "You can't out bowl a bad ball reaction," has become so popular among top players is that when you have the right ball in your hand, you can play your "A" Game. Your "A" Game is your natural, most comfortable shot. It includes your ball speed, your hand position and release, the amount of loft you impart to the ball, etc., in other words everything that you do to throw a perfect shot. When you try to adjust to changing lane conditions by changing your physical game (other than the line that you are playing), you are no longer playing your "A" Game. The problem is, of course, when your opponent has the right ball in his hand and is able to play his "A" game, while you are playing your "B" Game where you throw it harder, or your "C" Game where you loft it a couple of extra feet, you are going to lose.

Even the best players in the world have their "A" Games. Take Norm Duke, for example, who is known for his versatility. We have all seen him win lots of tournaments playing his patented point the corner, up the back of the ball shot, and we've seen him move three arrows left and hook the lane to win. Be that as it may, Norm has won a great majority of his tournaments by pointing the corner. That's his "A" game. The fact that he has worked for countless hours to develop his "B" game to the point that he can be competitive with it does not change the fact that he is at his best when he can play his "A" game.

tccstudent
12-30-2013, 09:37 PM
I think i have read this article before.
For me I think I have 2 A games and 1 C game.
My A games is playing straight up the 5 board or moving a little left and playing about 15 to 5.
My C game would be moving further left and swinging the ball out more.

That why when practicing I make sure to spend time working on my 2 A game shots first to keep the mechanics inline before I try and make my C game a little better.

swingset
01-08-2014, 06:35 PM
My arsenal is built to keep me in that comfort zone of my "A" game, but I practice hard to play outside of it, which I think is the best way to master difficult conditions. I even do this on THS league nights, by selecting a ball that's either too strong or not enough for the conditions and forcing myself to contend with this. My "A" game might be a benchmark med-oil ball from 25 to 10, but I'll go down the 5 board with a urethane or throw deep into the oil with a solid.

Aslan
01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
My "A" game is playing around the 2nd arrow.

My "B" game is on heavier oil...playing more of inside game.

My DISTANT "C" game is when I'm forced out towards that 6-board. I just can't play that close to the gutter. I hold my breath every time I watch ole Del Ballard and Jess Stayrook...throwing those balls along that 1-2 board. I just can't do it. I get too outside, I get nervouse....ball in the right gutter. And I've heard the USBC pattern that outside area is even more oiled up than a THS...so...if I ever shall grace a USBC pattern...C-game is definitely NOT happening.

dnhoffman
01-08-2014, 11:39 PM
This is pretty solid IMO, i like to play the outside. And am much less comfortable swinging the ball out and opening up the lane. I can do it... But my best nights are the ones where I pick the right equipment for the condition that keeps me in my comfort zone and results in more confidence in my shots p.

Perrin
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
A - 8-13 with a little swing to it
B - 8-4 tight line
C - 13-18
D - deep inside line.

Most of the problem I have all narrow down to the fact that I drift right in my approach and the bigger angle I am trying to play the further I drift.

RobLV1
01-09-2014, 12:00 PM
It's fascinating to me that virtually everyone equates their "A" game to a particular line. The whole idea of using ball changes as an adjustment is to keep from having to make major changes to your physical game that takes you away from your A Game. Those changes would include major speed changes, loft changes, hand position changes, and release changes. If your A Game is tied into one particular line, then the first thing that you need to do is practice using yourf "normal" physical game and work to expand your preferred line into a preferred area. My own preferred area ranges from 15 board to 35 board with my feet, 4 board to 17 board at the arrows, and 5 board to 12 board at the break point. When I can play within that large area, I know I can throw my shot comfortably. I will use ball changes within that area, when I see that one of the three parts of the lane; the heads, the mids, and the back ends, is getting burned up, primarily to change my angle to stay within the part of lane that is still working. Once I reach my limit; 35 to 17 to 12, then I will try to make a ball change to stay within my range until the end of the set. It's only when I can't, that I will resort to physical changes, most notably changing my axis tilt and my ball speed.

sprocket
01-09-2014, 12:09 PM
In the mid 80's to early 90's I had at least ten good, usable balls. Now I have maybe 5. I needed a variety of balls then, and if I want to bowl in tournaments or at other houses, I need a variety of balls now. The only bowlers who can remember walking into a bowling alley with a single bag and having that be all that was needed are those who bowled in the 70's or earlier. I'm 49 and would have been a kid in the 70's. An adult still clinging to those days would have to be close to 60 yrs old.

I was far more likely to just change balls and nothing else back then. I wouldn't have changed speeds or hand positions, I would have just changed my line, the ball or both. Changing balls was extremely common though, and the resulting reaction was quite predictable. Nowadays I am far more likely to do something like try to come up the back of the ball more or change speed or change loft and I would often do those things rather than change balls. I find predicting the reaction of another ball far more difficult than I did 20+ years ago.

Anytime I hear a statement along the lines of "the days of bowling with just one or two balls are over" I think, well no sh**. That's been the case for 30 years.

Bunny
01-09-2014, 12:21 PM
It's fascinating to me that virtually everyone equates their "A" game to a particular line. The whole idea of using ball changes as an adjustment is to keep from having to make major changes to your physical game that takes you away from your A Game. Those changes would include major speed changes, loft changes, hand position changes, and release changes. If your A Game is tied into one particular line, then the first thing that you need to do is practice using yourf "normal" physical game and work to expand your preferred line into a preferred area. My own preferred area ranges from 15 board to 35 board with my feet, 4 board to 17 board at the arrows, and 5 board to 12 board at the break point. When I can play within that large area, I know I can throw my shot comfortably. I will use ball changes within that area, when I see that one of the three parts of the lane; the heads, the mids, and the back ends, is getting burned up, primarily to change my angle to stay within the part of lane that is still working. Once I reach my limit; 35 to 17 to 12, then I will try to make a ball change to stay within my range until the end of the set. It's only when I can't, that I will resort to physical changes, most notably changing my axis tilt and my ball speed.

Thanks Rob! Great info.

You make things clear and easy to understand. At least for me anyway.

Sometimes it's a matter finding a coach or teacher that when they explain things they make total sense to you. Not that what someone else is saying is wrong. I found this to be true in many things. Music for example. I had one teacher in particular that when he explained things light bulbs would go on everytime. :cool:

RobLV1
01-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Predicting the reactions of different balls today is definitely more complex than it was 20+ years ago, but it can also be a lot more accurate for those who take the time to really understand the four elements of the balls; the core, the cover, the surface, and the layout, as well as how they each affect the two simple componants of ball reaction; friction and resistance. At the ripe young age of 49, you should be able to learn to do this fairly easily. If I can do it at 64, it should be cake for you!

Aslan
01-09-2014, 01:32 PM
In the mid 80's to early 90's I had at least ten good, usable balls. Now I have maybe 5. I needed a variety of balls then, and if I want to bowl in tournaments or at other houses, I need a variety of balls now. The only bowlers who can remember walking into a bowling alley with a single bag and having that be all that was needed are those who bowled in the 70's or earlier. I'm 49 and would have been a kid in the 70's. An adult still clinging to those days would have to be close to 60 yrs old.

I don't know man...I can't remember anyone carrying more than 2 balls even as late as the early 90s. Roller bags weren't even invented until when? I saw my first roller bag in hockey in about 2004. According to the NYTimes, the first actual "roller bag" as we know it was invented in 1987. So the first roller bag in bowling probably didn't appear until around 1991. Up until last year, I still carried my ball in the ole 1970s style vinyl/leather 1-ball bag. Now I have a 2-ball shoulder bag. I can't imagine anyone carrying more than 2 balls without a roller bag. I'm fairly young and in good shape an I have to admit I can barely carry a 16 and a 15lb ball + shoes and accessories on one shoulder. I personally feel that along with reactive resin technology and lane conditions...the BIGGEST invention that has led to "arsenals" is the roller bag.

But all you guys playing leagues in the 80s would know more so than me. Back then I was just a kid going and watching my Dad, Grandpa, and Uncle. My Dad and Grandpa only had one ball. My uncle was a more serious bowler and he may have had at least 2. But that preceeded reactive resin. Why would you need multiple urethane balls? But, to sprocket's point, my dad, grandpa, and uncle all started bowling in the 60s and primarily bowled in the 70s into the early 80s. My Dad stopped bowling in the early 80s, my Grandpa gave it up due to health concerns in the mid-90s. My Uncle still bowls regularly.

classygranny
01-09-2014, 02:42 PM
I don't know man...I can't remember anyone carrying more than 2 balls even as late as the early 90s. Roller bags weren't even invented until when? I saw my first roller bag in hockey in about 2004. According to the NYTimes, the first actual "roller bag" as we know it was invented in 1987. So the first roller bag in bowling probably didn't appear until around 1991. Up until last year, I still carried my ball in the ole 1970s style vinyl/leather 1-ball bag. Now I have a 2-ball shoulder bag. I can't imagine anyone carrying more than 2 balls without a roller bag. I'm fairly young and in good shape an I have to admit I can barely carry a 16 and a 15lb ball + shoes and accessories on one shoulder. I personally feel that along with reactive resin technology and lane conditions...the BIGGEST invention that has led to "arsenals" is the roller bag.

But all you guys playing leagues in the 80s would know more so than me. Back then I was just a kid going and watching my Dad, Grandpa, and Uncle. My Dad and Grandpa only had one ball. My uncle was a more serious bowler and he may have had at least 2. But that preceeded reactive resin. Why would you need multiple urethane balls? But, to sprocket's point, my dad, grandpa, and uncle all started bowling in the 60s and primarily bowled in the 70s into the early 80s. My Dad stopped bowling in the early 80s, my Grandpa gave it up due to health concerns in the mid-90s. My Uncle still bowls regularly.

When I bowled leagues/tournaments in the late '70s early '80s (I quit in '82) we would take two 2-ball shoulder bags to league...one on each shoulder. For tournaments, sometimes we had to make two trips if we wanted access to more than 4 balls. Sorry, but if you're young and in shape and can barely carry one, you must be kinda wimpish. I was younger then to, but could probably still carry two bags today if I was so inclined - and I had too in order to bowl competitively. Just glad they came up with roller bags!

Aslan
01-09-2014, 04:40 PM
When I bowled leagues/tournaments in the late '70s early '80s (I quit in '82) we would take two 2-ball shoulder bags to league...one on each shoulder. For tournaments, sometimes we had to make two trips if we wanted access to more than 4 balls. Sorry, but if you're young and in shape and can barely carry one, you must be kinda wimpish. I was younger then to, but could probably still carry two bags today if I was so inclined - and I had too in order to bowl competitively. Just glad they came up with roller bags!

You throw 15-16lb balls?

bowl1820
01-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Ball toting!!

Let's see I've carried a two ball bag on each shoulder along with a seesaw holding a fifth ball (all 16# + shoes etc.).

and I use to have the "Macho Mule" 6 ball carrier and I would lift the whole thing in and out of my van in one piece.

and of course the typical tournament tote of having to jump lanes from one end of the house to other carrying a ball in each hand and trying to hold another under arm while kicking the 4th along the floor with your foot because your bag is 6-8 lanes back where you started.

zdawg
01-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Interesting stuff, I'm gonna go ahead and just buy a triple roller, I have one ball and another on the way, and at some point I'm going to buy a spare ball. That should hold me for a while *hopefully*

bowl1820
01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Interesting stuff, I'm gonna go ahead and just buy a triple roller, I have one ball and another on the way, and at some point I'm going to buy a spare ball. That should hold me for a while *hopefully*

If you get a 3 ball bag, don't get the long one where the balls are all side by side. Get the one where theres 2 balls on the bottom and one on top.

The long one is a problem to maneuver when pulled in a crowd, if it has a extendable handle and you drop it they tend to get bent more often (in or out).

A guy gave me one that had got bent like that, took some work but I fixed it.

tccstudent
01-09-2014, 07:42 PM
If you get a 3 ball bag, don't get the long one where the balls are all side by side. Get the one where theres 2 balls on the bottom and one on top.

I dont think I have ever seen a bag like this unless you are talking about a two ball bag and a kangaroo pouch that goes over the handles

classygranny
01-09-2014, 08:50 PM
You throw 15-16lb balls?

Always threw 15 lb until about last May, I dropped to 14 lb due to too much working on the computer took a toll on my elbow - so in order to enjoy bowling I decided to try the 14 lb. I currently have a 3 ball roller and have no problem lifting it in and out of the car/truck.

bowl1820
01-09-2014, 09:07 PM
I dont think I have ever seen a bag like this unless you are talking about a two ball bag and a kangaroo pouch that goes over the handles

No kangaroo pouch they make 3 ball bags, Google 3 Ball Triple Roller Bowling Bag. Your better off just getting a 4 ball bag anyway, if you have 3 balls you'll wind up with 4 anyway.

The long one (which I still have) is a Athletech 3 Ball Triple Roller Bowling Bag. The big problem is that its narrow so is real tippy
and if you drop it right it can bend the handle tubes.

dnhoffman
01-09-2014, 09:54 PM

The long one is a problem to maneuver when pulled in a crowd, if it has a extendable handle and you drop it they tend to get bent more often (in or out).

This only happens/is a problem with the cheaper bags. My storm rolling thunder 3-ball is like an alley Cadillac...

tccstudent
01-09-2014, 10:16 PM
I have a 4 ball bag it just the way you described it made me think it was like a triangle shaped with 2 on bottom and one on top I am planning on buying a new bag but I am gonna get the hammer 4 ball roller because it has the OKlahoma State Cowboys colors.

bowl1820
01-09-2014, 10:41 PM
the way you described it made me think it was like a triangle shaped with 2 on bottom and one on top .

Actually the one I was thinking about was like a triangle, I think it was KR bag. Though most are more the inline style, it would really depend on just how they made it. Wide wheel base, supports at the other end so if you drop it, it doesn't land on the handle. etc.

zdawg
01-09-2014, 11:04 PM

I'm actually gonna buy a storm rolling thunder, unless there is a reason not to? Everybody I've talked to is big on that one, and I can't seem to find anything bad about it.

tccstudent
01-09-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm actually gonna buy a storm rolling thunder, unless there is a reason not to? Everybody I've talked to is big on that one, and I can't seem to find anything bad about it.
Thats what I have now and I have had it for a long time one of the zippers on the bottom like to come undone but it has been to many tournaments and leagues.

MICHAEL
01-10-2014, 12:19 AM
interesting article :

Playing Your "A" Game
by Rob Mautner

Many traditional bowlers who grew up when bowlers showed up with one bowling ball in a single ball bag and a pair of bowling shoes that had been worn for the last ten or twelve years, really have a problem with the concept that modern bowling really requires an arsenal of bowling balls. The most common excuse that I hear is that a really good bowler can adjust by changing hand positions, ball speed, loft, and line. In other words, they are implying that bowlers who use ball changes as adjustments are somehow inferior bowlers. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The reason that the phrase, "You can't out bowl a bad ball reaction," has become so popular among top players is that when you have the right ball in your hand, you can play your "A" Game. Your "A" Game is your natural, most comfortable shot. It includes your ball speed, your hand position and release, the amount of loft you impart to the ball, etc., in other words everything that you do to throw a perfect shot. When you try to adjust to changing lane conditions by changing your physical game (other than the line that you are playing), you are no longer playing your "A" Game. The problem is, of course, when your opponent has the right ball in his hand and is able to play his "A" game, while you are playing your "B" Game where you throw it harder, or your "C" Game where you loft it a couple of extra feet, you are going to lose.

Even the best players in the world have their "A" Games. Take Norm Duke, for example, who is known for his versatility. We have all seen him win lots of tournaments playing his patented point the corner, up the back of the ball shot, and we've seen him move three arrows left and hook the lane to win. Be that as it may, Norm has won a great majority of his tournaments by pointing the corner. That's his "A" game. The fact that he has worked for countless hours to develop his "B" game to the point that he can be competitive with it does not change the fact that he is at his best when he can play his "A" game.

I remember Lee Trevino once saying, he could beat the average duffer in golf with nothing but a coke bottle on a string, and of course the golf ball. He actually said he hustled in his early days and made some money doing just that! I know a person personally, JASON my nemeses, Yes THE DUDE, that can PICK UP ANYONES BALL, no matter what the span, or finger size holes, and CAN throw a 200 plus or higher with it!! TALK ABOUT ADJUSTMENT~~~
He can do it and does quit often!! He rarely ever changes balls, and makes all his adjustments with his GOD-GIVE-TALENTS!!!

I still say that a PRO level bowler, will ALL THE Different releases, and knowledge they have can make all us House pattern bowlers look like Shirt, using the BEST and Largest of arsenals! Now on sports patterns, we are talking maybe a different story!

Now on a Pro level Sports patterns, I would have to agree that a ball can keep you in your A game! But most of us real world THS bowlers could probably spend our money on LESSIONS and less equipment, and find our average go UP!!

What do I know,,,, Just MHA!! (:)

Aslan
01-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Always threw 15 lb until about last May, I dropped to 14 lb due to too much working on the computer took a toll on my elbow - so in order to enjoy bowling I decided to try the 14 lb. I currently have a 3 ball roller and have no problem lifting it in and out of the car/truck.

Alright…I'm gonna just end this right here and admit class granny is more of a man than I am. I concede. Because a 29-31 pounds plus whatever else is crammed in there…hurts my shoulder like a madman. Granny…if you're ever in Cali…I'll let you carry my balls.

Okay…knock it off…come on people…mind out of the gutter.

J Anderson
01-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Maybe I wasn't very observant back then or maybe it was because I was just a once a week league bowler, but I don't remember seeing people bringing three and four balls for league until the 90's. My friend Jeff, who was then aspiring to join the P.B.A., was the first person I knew who would bring more than two balls for league. Jeff would drive the rest of the team nuts because he would show up late and "waste " the first game trying to figure out which ball to use. We lost a lot of first games that year but we probably won a lot more second and third games because he took the time to figure things out.

zdawg
01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
This only happens/is a problem with the cheaper bags. My storm rolling thunder 3-ball is like an alley Cadillac...

This is the one I'm gonna get, I've had enough people tell me how much they love theirs.

Bunny
01-10-2014, 01:45 PM
This is the one I'm gonna get, I've had enough people tell me how much they love theirs.

Solid choice.

I have a very nice 3 ball roller by brunswick. Big wheels, locking handle, super sturdy, etc.

If I had to do over I would buy a 4 baller that has 2+2 vertically. Easier to get into and easier to load in and out of our truck because you can separate the two bags.

Perrin
01-10-2014, 02:47 PM
I just wish 4 ball rollers didn't cost as much as a mid-level bowling ball fully drilled :(

Aslan
01-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Maybe I wasn't very observant back then or maybe it was because I was just a once a week league bowler, but I don't remember seeing people bringing three and four balls for league until the 90's.

I agree JAnderson. I remember the first time I saw a 2-ball bag was in the urethane era. I went to a league night with my Grandpa and Uncle and there was ONE guy with a 2-ball bag. I only remember it because as a kid I asked my Grandpa and Uncle (within earshot distance of the rest of their team), "why does that guy have 2 balls?". Needless to say, the team all started laughing and made varying comments. At the time I didn't know why it was such a funny question.

However, soon after that, I do remember my Uncle carrying 2 1-ball bags with him to league night. But like I said/asked....why would you need multiple balls before the invention of reactive resin coverstocks? Can you really get that much difference in reaction between multiple urethane balls? I always thought urethane balls were essentially better plastic balls and just went straight.

bowl1820
01-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Can you really get that much difference in reaction between multiple urethane balls? I always thought urethane balls were essentially better plastic balls and just went straight.

Sure Urethane balls were quite powerful on the older conditions and lanes and you had different layouts, weight holes, surface changes, solids, pearls, different types of urethane.

They were more than just better plastic balls, people today are just judging them by use on today's conditions.

So You could easily have multiple balls.

J Anderson
01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
I agree JAnderson. I remember the first time I saw a 2-ball bag was in the urethane era. I went to a league night with my Grandpa and Uncle and there was ONE guy with a 2-ball bag. I only remember it because as a kid I asked my Grandpa and Uncle (within earshot distance of the rest of their team), "why does that guy have 2 balls?". Needless to say, the team all started laughing and made varying comments. At the time I didn't know why it was such a funny question.

However, soon after that, I do remember my Uncle carrying 2 1-ball bags with him to league night. But like I said/asked....why would you need multiple balls before the invention of reactive resin coverstocks? Can you really get that much difference in reaction between multiple urethane balls? I always thought urethane balls were essentially better plastic balls and just went straight.

I can remember years ago Nelson Burton Jr. commenting on pro bowlers having new balls drilled to match the lane conditions better, long before reactive resin and high tech cores. But they were trying to earn a living by bowling, not just bowling in one or two leagues.

And if you think urethane and plastic just go straight, ask Mike White to throw his White Dot the next time you see him.

sprocket
01-11-2014, 01:24 AM
Here's what I had that I can remember:

Blue dot - straight over label
White dot - straight over label
Yellow dot - 3/4oz finger weight, 3/4oz pos side
Black U-dot - 3/4oz finger weight, 3/4oz pos side
Slate U-dot -3/4oz finger weight, 3/4oz pos side
Blue Hammer - Axis weight
Nail - true axis weight

Concerning axis weight on the Hammer balls: I seem to remember there being two different types of axis weight. One way tipped the top of the bulb core (not sure if that's the same as the pin) to the PAP and then a weight hole was drilled between the PAP and the label to make it legal. That's what the Blue Hammer had. The other method was to put the bulb on the PAP and then drill the weight hole right though it. That's what the Nail had.

Blue Angle - some type of leverage weight I think
Pearl Red Hammer - axis weight like the Blue Hammer
Original urethane Beast - not sure on the layout
Firebolt S/O - 3/4oz finger weight, 3/4oz pos side
Thunderbolt D/B - this one came with several recommend layouts. I can't recall what it had. I bowled 300 the second game with it though.
Angle L/D. - stacked leverage. Worst ball I have ever owned.

Some of these ball were retired and replaced by others.

RobLV1
01-11-2014, 05:39 AM
And speaking of Nelson Burton Jr., he just set a new house record last week at age 71: 878! My guess is that he didn't do it with a urethane or plastic bowling ball, and that he didn't just have one ball with him... just sayin'.

Rob Mautner

bowl1820
01-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Here's what I had that I can remember:

Angle L/D. - stacked leverage. Worst ball I have ever owned.

The "Angle LD", The First ball I bought and had fit to me! Now I liked it had it for a long time.

LD stood for either Limited Dressing or Limited Distance, it was a short oil ball.

Aslan
01-11-2014, 02:56 PM
I can remember years ago Nelson Burton Jr. commenting on pro bowlers having new balls drilled to match the lane conditions better, long before reactive resin and high tech cores. But they were trying to earn a living by bowling, not just bowling in one or two leagues.

And if you think urethane and plastic just go straight, ask Mike White to throw his White Dot the next time you see him.

Mike White and Iceman disappeared about the same time. Iceman is back…Mike still gone. The rumor I've started is that they had a torrid love affair on a cruise ship for bowlers who prefer other male bowlers…and Iceman pushed him over the railing (like that chick not too long ago…separate story, Iceman not involved).

Of course…he also could just be busy.

Hopefully Iceman didn't kill him because he's the only one within 90 minutes that can drill tri-grip and I need his services in a couple months.

tccstudent
01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Actually I kidnapped him because there is no one anywhere around here that does the tri grip drilling

J Anderson
01-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Mike White and Iceman disappeared about the same time. Iceman is back…Mike still gone. The rumor I've started is that they had a torrid love affair on a cruise ship for bowlers who prefer other male bowlers…and Iceman pushed him over the railing (like that chick not too long ago…separate story, Iceman not involved).

Of course…he also could just be busy.

Hopefully Iceman didn't kill him because he's the only one within 90 minutes that can drill tri-grip and I need his services in a couple months.

In case you can't wait until Mike shows up again, here is a video he posted back in 2012.

J Anderson
01-11-2014, 09:20 PM
In case you can't wait until Mike shows up again, here is a video he posted back in 2012.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/10272-I-finally-remembered-to-take-video-of-my-bowling

Just realized I forgot the link. For some reason once a thread gets past the first page I can't edit a post.

Aslan
01-12-2014, 12:25 AM
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/10272-I-finally-remembered-to-take-video-of-my-bowling

Just realized I forgot the link. For some reason once a thread gets past the first page I can't edit a post.

Is the ball supposed to bounce twice?

Mike White
01-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Is the ball supposed to bounce twice?

It's called the anti-Aslan release. Instead of bouncing twice out by the arrows, I get the bounce just a little before the foul line.

The problem is after a 15+ year absence from the game, I lost the timing of when to begin the release motion.

Before I had a chance to fix the release, I hurt my arm.

That made me have to learn a whole different release that didn't put any stress on the arm.

I can throw the ball like in that video again without pain, I just need to find more time to practice so I can fix the timing.

I tried throwing a reactive ball with that plastic release, and the ball missed the 7 pin left.

Aslan
01-13-2014, 04:04 PM
It's called the anti-Aslan release. Instead of bouncing twice out by the arrows, I get the bounce just a little before the foul line.

Thats actually true. When I was "chucking" it more...it would bounce at least twice due to the loft.

Hammer
02-17-2014, 08:09 PM
To Mike White: Your dropping the ball at the foul line because the pitch in your fingers and thumb are wrong. If the pitch is too much of a reverse pitch you will have to hang onto the ball harder so you don't lose your grip. Your thumb is too loose and you are muscling the ball on the forward swing. When you do that your wrist will break backward and the ball will have trouble staying on your hand in the release area.

Mike White
02-18-2014, 04:48 AM
To Mike White: Your dropping the ball at the foul line because the pitch in your fingers and thumb are wrong. If the pitch is too much of a reverse pitch you will have to hang onto the ball harder so you don't lose your grip. Your thumb is too loose and you are muscling the ball on the forward swing. When you do that your wrist will break backward and the ball will have trouble staying on your hand in the release area.

Yes to some of that, and no to others.

Technically I wasn't dropping the ball, what was happening is my hand went through the release process before the ball had reached the bottom of the swing, so after I was done releasing the ball, it was still in a steep downward trajectory.

As soon as this winter league is done, I'm going to put serious practice time into fixing the early release issue.

I think the early part, is also causing more strain on the arm than it did years ago, because the ball (being closer to the bottom of the swing) was traveling faster, and all my release did was create revs, not increase speed.

I've tightened up the thumb, and still had the trajectory problem.

True there was "muscling" of the ball, but it was for the purpose of achieving high revolutions.

The wrist breaking backwards is a function of un-cupping.

As it turns out, my body wasn't in proper shape to maintain the release motion, and ultimately did some damage.

First time the damage occurred in August 2012. Then again in February 2014.

The time between Aug 2012, and Jan 2014, I tried to figure out an effective release using modern equipment.

When not trying to throw high revs, my timing looks much more like when I shoot at a 10 pin.

I find it very easy to throw the ball right through the breakpoint.

When I tried putting revs into a modern ball, it went into the left gutter.