PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pro Drillers about the TRIBAL ball

MICHAEL
12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
My new tribal ball is very flipie , the last few feet! I do need a balance hole, where should it be in order to take some of that left turn out of it! Motiv Tribal

1. Surface prep?? It comes I believe with a 2000,,,, what would a 4000 do to the movement! It gets through the heads fine, just too much hook at the end.

2. I do need a balance hole, where on this ball would you put it to not destroy it movement, but tame it down?

vdubtx
12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
My new tribal ball is very flipie , the last few feet! I do need a balance hole, where should it be in order to take some of that left turn out of it! Motiv Tribal

1. Surface prep?? It comes I believe with a 2000,,,, what would a 4000 do to the movement! It gets through the heads fine, just to much hook at the end.

2. I do need a balance hole, where on this ball would you put it to not destroy it movement, but tame it down?
Just take it to your driller and let them determine exactly where to place the balance hole? You weren't intending on doing yourself were you?

MICHAEL
12-31-2013, 12:38 PM
I have drilled more holes, then Carter has liver pills!!!!! I just need a TARGET!!! :confused:

MICHAEL
12-31-2013, 12:42 PM
hummmm after a few seconds of deep thought, maybe I should wait a few more games before I make an adjustment with a balance hole or even surface.

I think I have heard that there is a breaking in period, for balls? How many games, I wonder, would that be?

e-tank
12-31-2013, 01:00 PM
I have drilled more holes, then Carter has liver pills!!!!! I just need a TARGET!!! :confused:

i must be too young to get that one lol

vdubtx
12-31-2013, 01:06 PM

That's nice, but leave it to the pro's who can make sure your ball will do what you want it to. If you insist on doing yourself, I am sure there are plenty videos on youtube to get you in the right direction.

Perrin
12-31-2013, 01:32 PM
There is a breaking in period. at least with every ball I have owned.

for me it's usually 15 games or so.

To reduce backend reaction you add surface rather than going smoother so 1500 rather than 4000 if the current surface is 2000.

To reduce reaction you woudl go with a P1 hole. but I would go with surface changes first.... those are alot easier to change your mind about later :)

MICHAEL
12-31-2013, 01:45 PM
so by going down rather then up, you are burning up energy before the snap? Makes sense!

MICHAEL
12-31-2013, 01:51 PM
i must be too young to get that one lol

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/carterliverpills_zpsb30e46b4.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/carterliverpills_zpsb30e46b4.jpg.html)

MICHAEL
12-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Question:I've heard this saying used by my parents many times over. When I search for it on the internet, it shows that it's used quite a bit but I still don't see a meaning behind it. It's right up there with "best thing since sliced bread" and "slow as molasses." Please provide some sort of data on this. Thanks!

Answers:
It was a Very heavily-advertised patent medicine, which lasted perhaps into the 1960s. Carter's Little Liver Pills became Carter's Little Pills when the FTC made the point that these pills did nothing for the liver. The new name had less appeal, and the brand faded away. Carter's Little Liver Pills, had been developed in the 1870's by Dr. Samuel J. Carter, a druggist in Erie, PA

Perrin
01-02-2014, 10:01 AM
so by going down rather then up, you are burning up energy before the snap? Makes sense!

exactly.

Whereas with adding balance holes you actually change the physical specs of the ball.

P1 holes reduce Dif and increase the RG making the ball go longer and flare less. The amount of both though depnds on the ball and layout you apply it to.

Stormed1
01-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Try knocking the polish off with a 4k pad and no polish. It will smooth out the reaction some

MICHAEL
01-02-2014, 12:42 PM
exactly.

Whereas with adding balance holes you actually change the physical specs of the ball.

P1 holes reduce Dif and increase the RG making the ball go longer and flare less. The amount of both though depnds on the ball and layout you apply it to.

thanks,,, makes sense!!

MICHAEL
01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Try knocking the polish off with a 4k pad and no polish. It will smooth out the reaction some

will give that a try! Only thing I hate about taking polish off the ball, is that it becomes even MORE of a Sponge!!

I have this theory that polished balls last longer then Matte before they get saturated with lane oil. It just makes sense that polish would help keep the oil from being absorbed as much.

MICHAEL
01-02-2014, 12:53 PM
exactly.

Let me ask this perrin,,, what about storms1 idea of going 4000, first? Or do you think going 1000 pad, and then high polish?

So many combinations that can be tried, but for my league tonight which way to go??? hummmm

the inner action between pads, grit, polish! then you have the Rough Buff stuff, I have Brunswick's in the red bottle.

I use it on my Brunswick beatdown, after cleaning! It gives the ball a great down and in, without the huge flip!
Its been my go to ball lately, (THANKS TO BOWLINGBALL.COM) :)

Perrin
01-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Start with the simplest (easiest toreproduce) and go with a 4000 pad.

It's kindof a middle point if that still doesn't even out the reaction enough you can always go further.. If it takes away too much of the backend reaction you can always throw it back on the spinner to put 1000 and polish or whatever your favorite compound is.

Bowling used to be so much more simple. now there are so many variables it's hard to find the right matchup.

Bunny
01-02-2014, 02:04 PM

1. Surface prep?? It comes I believe with a 2000,,,, what would a 4000 do to the movement! It gets through the heads fine, just too much hook at the end.

Page 7 has balance hole info for symmetrical balls...

http://www.rotogrip.com/download.php?obj_id=342

:)

tccstudent
01-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Iceman before you do anything to radical to your new ball. How many games do you have on it. Do you have a good track in it yet. I have had balls that right out of the box were way too flippy but after 8-9 games of putting a good track and a light polish on the ball it has became more tame and controllable.

Perrin
01-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Iceman before you do anything to radical to your new ball. How many games do you have on it. Do you have a good track in it yet. I have had balls that right out of the box were way too flippy but after 8-9 games of putting a good track and a light polish on the ball it has became more tame and controllable.

most definitely agree. I've found even after a good cleaning(I use the dishwasher) it takes a few games for the ball to calm back down to a 'normal' reaction.

MICHAEL
01-02-2014, 04:52 PM
I will leave it the way it is, and bowl with it tonight as is. Sounds like I should be more tolerant with its behavior until I get a few more games under its belt! It's my first Motiv, so didn't know what to expect, other then I fell in love with its looks!! Call me shallow, but good looken bowling balls have always been a weakness for ICEMAN!! gulp,,,, :rolleyes:

The Tribal caught my eye when it first came out!!

got_a_300
01-02-2014, 07:05 PM
With something like 2000 grit with a high polish on the ball it
is going to save up all that energy for the backend and have a
big snap.

With say 1500 grit maybe even a 2000 grit but with no polish
on it the ball should smooth out somewhat on the backend and
not be quite so flippy.

Like my old Roto Grip Riot it is factory 2000 and has a kind of
strong backend but I can go 2000 all the way up to 4000 grit
plus a heavy coat of polish and it actually gets crazy wild on the
backend.

I usually just keep it at 500-1000 and no polish to keep it tamed
down on the backends I let it burn up some of its energy early.

MICHAEL
01-03-2014, 11:43 AM
With something like 2000 grit with a high polish on the ball it
is going to save up all that energy for the backend and have a
big snap.

With say 1500 grit maybe even a 2000 grit but with no polish
on it the ball should smooth out somewhat on the backend and
not be quite so flippy.

Like my old Roto Grip Riot it is factory 2000 and has a kind of
strong backend but I can go 2000 all the way up to 4000 grit
plus a heavy coat of polish and it actually gets crazy wild on the
backend.

I usually just keep it at 500-1000 and no polish to keep it tamed
down on the backends I let it burn up some of its energy early.

Just out of curiosity, what would a 2000 grit, and rough Buff do to the tribal, vs, 200 and high polish like Reacta shine?

austin
01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
For interests sake, and please correct me if I am wrong. But I believe E.A.R.L has never thrown 300.

tccstudent
01-06-2014, 08:35 PM
For interests sake, and please correct me if I am wrong. But I believe E.A.R.L has never thrown 300.

"They bowled a 300 with [EARL] last month, but it's tough because he lays the ball down in exactly the same spot every time so after only a couple of shots, the oil changes and it's hard to strike consistently," said Matt Lawson, director of video production for the USBC. "Of course, he's not really intended to bowl matches."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20020117-1.html

Stormed1
01-07-2014, 04:10 AM
"Just out of curiosity, what would a 2000 grit, and rough Buff do to the tribal, vs, 200 and high polish like Reacta shine? "

Because Rough Buff has grit in it the underlaying grit would be smoothed out to somewhere between 3 and 4K and would create more skid and more snap. If you went 500 plus Rough Buff it would give you a final finish of 1200+1500 depending on time and pressure used

MICHAEL
01-10-2014, 08:38 AM

amazing what a different look the ball gave me simple taking the polish off, and going 4k pad! I am sure I could not have gotten the look without the spinner I have to keep it pretty darn consistent, but it made a huge difference.
226, 226, and 200. Iceman is just getting over the flu, but bowled anyway, I look to this ball being another go to ball now in league! (((THANKS ICEWOMAN,,, or Santa,,, all I know was it was under the Christmas Tree when I woke up!!)))

NOW WHERE to put the balance hole to keep it neutral on this particular ball! I need to do this today!! Knowing what I know about surface now, and how its a huge part of the ball reaction equations,,, what way to go from here??????? Early Roll, late ROLL,,,, hum.

Perrin
01-10-2014, 11:41 AM
NOW WHERE to put the balance hole to keep it neutral on this particular ball! I need to do this today!! Knowing what I know about surface now, and how its a huge part of the ball reaction equations,,, what way to go from here??????? Early Roll, late ROLL,,,, hum.

Does it require a balance hole to be static Legal? if not I wouldn't drill one.

If you need it to have it be static legal and like the current reaction then you would do the hole on the PAP Wide and shallow having less impact on the dynamics of the ball than Deep and narrow.