PDA

View Full Version : Crumbling Above Finger Hole

Josch
01-02-2014, 03:03 PM
My spare ball has crumbled above one of the finger holes. At this point it's not too bad but I think it may get worse. Should I leave it as is or maybe get it plugged and redrilled or just get a new spare ball? I'm going to take it into the Pro Shop and see what they think.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/armada120/20140102_130841_zps42448ccd.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/armada120/media/20140102_130841_zps42448ccd.jpg.html)

tccstudent
01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
I had a ball that did that and I got it fixed and a few month later it started again I ended up fixing it 3 times then just got a new ball.

J Anderson
01-02-2014, 03:25 PM
My spare ball has crumbled above one of the finger holes. At this point it's not too bad but I think it may get worse. Should I leave it as is or maybe get it plugged and redrilled or just get a new spare ball? I'm going to take it into the Pro Shop and see what they think.

Most likely they will say the ball isn't worth fixing. Being cheap I'd just keep using it until it gets worse.

Josch
01-02-2014, 04:35 PM
I took it into the pro shop and they said they should be able to get a replacement under warranty on it.

MICHAEL
01-02-2014, 04:57 PM
They would not replace it! Mine looked even worse then yours,,, I still think that if they would have used the sander, that bevels the hole tops, and worked the sharp edges out with the sander, it would not have crumbled

It a common occurance esp with balls like the storm one, that have that clear coat.

Josch
01-02-2014, 05:31 PM
I think that the fact that the owner of the Pro Shop works for Hammer makes it easier for him to get replacements for Ebonite International products.

got_a_300
01-02-2014, 06:37 PM
I agree with MICHAEL/Iceman on beveling the finger and thumb holes
especially on plastic spare balls. I know another thing is if the krazy glue
is put to close to the top on the finger holes when gluing the grips in it can
cause the ball to chip/crack also.

bowl1820
01-02-2014, 06:45 PM
I agree with MICHAEL/Iceman on beveling the finger and thumb holes
especially on plastic spare balls. I know another thing is if the krazy glue
is put to close to the top on the finger holes when gluing the grips in it can
cause the ball to chip/crack also.

Yeah the holes need to be beveled and don't glue close to the top, also make sure the bridge is at least a 1/4" wide.

if they don't replace it, it's a easy fix. I'd have both holes drilled out and plugged.

Josch
01-02-2014, 07:06 PM
The grips were recently re-glued which probably caused it. I kept getting cork stuck between the grip and hole, so more glue was applied, specifically at the top.

dnhoffman
01-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Is it a polyester ball? That happens on a lot of polyster spare balls I see when people put grips in them, my next spare ball will be urethane for this reason.

Bunny
01-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Is it a polyester ball? That happens on a lot of polyster spare balls I see when people put grips in them, my next spare ball will be urethane for this reason.

My Maxim spare is doing the same thing around the grips. :(

Which urethane are you considering for your spare ball?

Bunny
01-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Mmm? My Maxim may still be under warranty come to think of it. :D

I bought it at the Pro Shop so a trip is definitely in order!

vdubtx
01-03-2014, 12:42 PM
I also use a Maxim spare ball and is starting to disintegrate around my thumb slug. When it has gone too far, I will likely just have it plugged and then redrilled with another slug. Cheaper than buying a new one altogether.

Bunny
01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I also use a Maxim spare ball and is starting to disintegrate around my thumb slug. When it has gone too far, I will likely just have it plugged and then redrilled with another slug. Cheaper than buying a new one altogether.

Do you have an IT slug in your Maxim?

I'm seriously considering converting to IT thumb slugs. Need that consistent feel and fit. Wasn't sure if it works with polyester.

vdubtx
01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Do you have an IT slug in your Maxim?

I'm seriously considering converting to IT thumb slugs. Need that consistent feel and fit. Wasn't sure if it works with polyester.

No, have not made that move yet. Still deciding if I want to. Can get each ball pretty much exactly as I want with a piece or two of tape.

Bunny
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
No, have not made that move yet. Still deciding if I want to. Can get each ball pretty much exactly as I want with a piece or two of tape.

Yeah, weighing the cost right now. I'm getting the Rising Path drilled this weekend and thinking about starting there and converting the rest.

Wondering if the conversion to an IT slug will effect ball reaction. I already have thumb slugs in my strike balls. It seems like there's a lot that goes into the ball.

dnhoffman
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Yeah, weighing the cost right now. I'm getting the Rising Path drilled this weekend and thinking about starting there and converting the rest.

Wondering if the conversion to an IT slug will effect ball reaction. I already have thumb slugs in my strike balls. It seems like there's a lot that goes into the ball.

1) IT work with polyster, urethane, everything. I have it in all my stuff, white dot included.

2) No, it does not affect ball motion any differently.

3) Couldn't recommend them more, they're awesome, and not much more per ball.

4) Dont IT polyster, if I could go back in time I'd just get a dry lane urethane ball (Storm Polar Ice, Motiv Tank, etc.). The Storm Ice in particular is like 10 bucks more than a white dot and will last you much longer if you're planning in putting grips into it.

dnhoffman
01-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Oh and if you bowl in the summer and winter, IT is just insane NOT to have IMO

Bunny
01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks D!

I used to use vise thumb tape but it seemed pricey when bowling 3-4 times a week. Got the slugs tightened up and consistent on my strike balls (love the feel of no tape on my thumb) and put tape in my spare ball but am bothered by the different feel/fit from my strike balls.

I definitely notice the thumb swell/shrinkage thing. I'll be looking to switch to IT slugs fo sho!!

I'm hoping two different sized slugs will cover it.

dnhoffman
01-03-2014, 07:54 PM
I started with two, and generally only use two, but have 4 because of summer swelling

dnhoffman
01-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Oh and you're in CA, you may only ever need two!

tccstudent
01-06-2014, 06:30 PM
I had all my balls converted to the switch grip when they first came out. The ones now seem to be better and safer. I quit for two reasons I had heard horror stories of them breaking and seriously messing up someone's hand ( A few people told me stories of someone getting the ligaments in their hand torn after using the switch grip) The one I was using just had two real small plastic notches that wouldn't take much to break. The other problem is they only came in 1 1/4" and not the 1 3/8" and with my big thumb there was hardly any slug material left and eventually the slug actually came completely out of the switch grip and I had enough and just went back to normal slugs. I have a friend who has the new IT and it seems much better but he has had problems with it I think because of shotty installation. So for now I will just stick with the slugs maybe after my proshop gets more experience installing them I might give them a chance down the road.

Blacksox1
01-06-2014, 11:26 PM
The crumbling plastic spare ball, I would use it until I lost confidence in it. At that point a new plastic Pyramid would be my choice ! The switch grips are good. I have two different sized grips to use. This solves the adding/ removing of tape. Trying out others' equipment is so much easier now.

Josch
01-12-2014, 03:22 PM
I got the spare ball replaced for free. I had to pay $50 for drilling but I think it was worth it. The old one was approaching 2 years old and starting to get a little beat up.

Mike White
01-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Oh and you're in CA, you may only ever need two!

We have seasons in California, we just choose to skip the bad ones.

richardsymms
01-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info! My T-Zone chipped a lot round the thumb hole and I finally replaced with the same T-Zone - have grips and so now will be sure not to put glue close to the top.

Ptnomore
01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm still shooting spares with an early '80's Columbia 300 White Dot. Never had any chipping/cracking issues with it that the newer "Plastics" have. All T-Zones, WD's, Maxims, that I see are chipping badly around the finger holes within 2-3 years. Only plastic ones I can think of that I haven't personally seen with those issues is the Taboo Spare or the Storm Spare balls (Ice, brain, etc).