PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the pin?

zdawg
01-04-2014, 07:03 PM
I just ordered a new ball online (it saved me about $40), it's new, undrilled, etc. but they only asked for the weight I wanted.

Later on, I was looking at other balls and I saw some of them have the option for where the pin goes? Other than knowing that a pin exists, I have no idea what it's purpose is and if they are put in a standard position when you buy a NIB ball or what. Just wondering if somebody can enlighten me? Is the pin moveable, or am I stuck with wherever it is? A tad bit confused at the moment.

bowl1820
01-04-2014, 07:22 PM
I assume what they wanted to know was what pin length you wanted.

On a undrilled ball, Pin length is referring to how far the pin is from the cg.

A 3-4 inch pin is a good length and will give you the most options for layouts.

and no pins are not moveable.

If they didn't ask what pin length you wanted, you'll have to take pot luck. Depending on how you want to layout the ball A Too Short/Long distances can limit layout options.

Aslan
01-04-2014, 07:23 PM
That is a good question. I've wondered that as well.

zdawg
01-04-2014, 08:00 PM
I assume what they wanted to know was what pin length you wanted.

On a undrilled ball, Pin length is referring to how far the pin is from the cg.

A 3-4 inch pin is a good length and will give you the most options for layouts.

and no pins are not moveable.

If they didn't ask what pin length you wanted, you'll have to take pot luck. Depending on how you want to layout the ball A Too Short/Long distances can limit layout options.

Ah ok thanks, I had no idea but that's good information for the future.

zdawg
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Ah ok thanks, I had no idea but that's good information for the future.

So I'm assuming the difference between pin up and pin down is just where they drill the holes in relation to the pin, it's all starting to make sense now.

sprocket
01-04-2014, 08:15 PM
It's the weekend so it may not have shipped yet. If you can find a phone number maybe you can confirm it has a 3-4" pin and have them send another ball if it doesn't. If it has already shipped I wouldn't be too worried. There's still good layouts you can do with a shorter pin. I don't think they would actually send you one with a super long pin as those are considered blems but I guess it's possible.

bowl1820
01-04-2014, 08:22 PM
So I'm assuming the difference between pin up and pin down is just where they drill the holes in relation to the pin, it's all starting to make sense now.

Yes Pin up is above the finger and Pin down is below.

Rob Mautner:
Back in the old days, bowlers used pin up balls because the increased "finger weight" got the ball to go down the lane further before hooking. Conversely, they used pin down balls to influence the ball to roll earlier. As static weights are pretty much irrelevant in modern bowling balls, the position of the pin in relation to the finger holes has taken on a new roll: influencing the direction of the change in axis migration which affects the shape of the reaction of the bowling ball. Pin up balls tend to migrate in an upward direction which results in a more angular reaction, while pin down balls tend to migrate in a downward direction which results in a smoother, more controllable reaction.

This is, of course, just a generalization. For specific "tweaks" to ball reaction, most knowledgeable ball drillers use the Dual Angle System to attain just the reaction that the bowler is looking for.

Mo Pinel:
Pin above or pin below simply affects the VAL angle. Pins above have smaller VAL angles than pins below, which results in a more defined backend reaction.

zdawg
01-04-2014, 08:53 PM
It's the weekend so it may not have shipped yet. If you can find a phone number maybe you can confirm it has a 3-4" pin and have them send another ball if it doesn't. If it has already shipped I wouldn't be too worried. There's still good layouts you can do with a shorter pin. I don't think they would actually send you one with a super long pin as those are considered blems but I guess it's possible.

I would except it's a Brunswick Aura which are discontinued, they're on clearance which is why I got such a good price on it. The fact that they didn't have an option for the pin length on these, tells me they just have a few left so it's a "you get what you get" kinda thing. But thanks for the suggestion nonetheless, I doubt this will be the last ball I buy so next time I'll be a little wiser and hopefully a much more skilled bowler :D

Aslan
01-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I would except it's a Brunswick Aura which are discontinued, they're on clearance which is why I got such a good price on it.

Wait…thats my DREAM BALL…they are on CLEARANCE!?? Where? How much?

You're gonna use my dream ball against me!!? Oh no…what a brilliant mental attack!! What…ya gonna show up in a Ford GT40 with your girlfriend Alyssa Milano…my dream car and dream woman?? You're an evil one…dastardly!!

zdawg
01-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Wait…thats my DREAM BALL…they are on CLEARANCE!?? Where? How much?

You're gonna use my dream ball against me!!? Oh no…what a brilliant mental attack!! What…ya gonna show up in a Ford GT40 with your girlfriend Alyssa Milano…my dream car and dream woman?? You're an evil one…dastardly!!

Haha, yeah Alyssa is actually gonna film the event (it was a surprise)

I got it for $90, well $89.95 I think plus free ground shipping. If you're interested I can tell what site I got it from, I've noticed most sites that still have them are trying to get rid of them, but this was the best price I found.

Aslan
01-04-2014, 09:47 PM
I got it for $90, well $89.95 I think plus free ground shipping. If you're interested I can tell what site I got it from, I've noticed most sites that still have them are trying to get rid of them, but this was the best price I found.

Uhhh…YEAH!! Is it the "mystic"? I've seen the standard Aura for $99.95 and the Aura Paranormal for $109.95…but I haven't seen any mystics on clearance yet. PM me or something. Thanks!

zdawg
01-04-2014, 09:54 PM
No its not the Mystic, its just the original Aura. I'll send you a PM in case you want it

Stormed1
01-09-2014, 09:48 AM
You should be safe. Most Brunswick I see are 3-4 inch pins

zdawg
01-09-2014, 11:58 AM
You should be safe. Most Brunswick I see are 3-4 inch pins

Ok thanks, its supposed to arrive tomorrow so I'm gonna drop it off to get drilled on Saturday probably.