PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever suffer brain fade during your approach?

Hammer
01-13-2014, 05:46 PM
I have been bowling on this league for 27 years. You would think that after that long your approach would be ingrained. Well not long ago on league night I was I was setup on the approach and ready to start my approach. I have a five step approach and am left handed so I should start the approach with my right foot. Well that didn't happen. I started with my left foot and took about three steps before my brain kicked and said STOP! If I didn't stop I don't know what would have happened. My brain probably would have kicked into save the shot by making a six step swing and slide shot. Did you ever have something go wrong on your approach because of vapor lock of the brain?

tccstudent
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
I dont think this has happened to me since right after I went for a 4 to a 5 step approach

vgw
01-13-2014, 05:54 PM
I just changed from a 5-step to a 4-step approach. A couple of times, I started off the wrong foot as my body just fell back into a 5-step approach mode. My steps were real short but I didn't realize what I had done until after I let go of the ball.

Aslan
01-13-2014, 06:30 PM
No.

Although there have been times due to lack of mental preparation (or too much booze) that I get midway through my approach and forget what target I was planning on aiming at. I use a modified 3-point targeting so when I actually target a board/arrow...I also draw a line from that spot to a board/dot closer to me. So I'm throwing along a "line" rather than a throwing at a "spot". However...that means needing to remember both points along that line rather than just one.

mc_runner
01-13-2014, 10:01 PM
It's happened a few times, especially when I'm in a slump and mechanics are off. I've screwed up my timing enough that my 5 step approach turns into a 7-step approach somehow (shot usually ends up OK, just a bit off for speed).

Stop, take a breath and laugh it off!

swingset
01-13-2014, 10:31 PM
We're all imperfect beings...happens to us all, at some level.

Mudpuppy
01-14-2014, 11:33 AM
only when I am drinking heavily

Perrin
01-14-2014, 02:26 PM
I switched from 4-step to 5-step this year and still occasionaly start with the wrong foot. It's becoming more and more rare though as time goes on.