PDA

View Full Version : Release oddness I just noticed watching today's PBA regional championship

zdawg
01-20-2014, 01:25 AM
In the first match, I noticed that Dave Beres seemed to do some sort of rotating his wrist on the backswing, another direction on the front swing, and then another direction on the release, in what I realized appeared to resemble a figure 8 when you take all the movements together (I can't really describe it very well).

I remember a few months back when I first started bowling reading something about a figure 8, just wondering what this is, just odd/unique form? I understand opening the wrist at the top of the backswing, then bringing the fingers inside before finally rotating them the other way the release point, but this looks WAY different from what I'm used to seeing.

swingset
01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
In the first match, I noticed that Dave Beres seemed to do some sort of rotating his wrist on the backswing, another direction on the front swing, and then another direction on the release, in what I realized appeared to resemble a figure 8 when you take all the movements together (I can't really describe it very well).

I remember a few months back when I first started bowling reading something about a figure 8, just wondering what this is, just odd/unique form? I understand opening the wrist at the top of the backswing, then bringing the fingers inside before finally rotating them the other way the release point, but this looks WAY different from what I'm used to seeing.

Yeah, that's weird...not sure what he's accomplishing with all that motion. Miki Takehara, who's a female JPBA bowler, does something similar. Haven't quite figured out the rationale for it, myself.

J Anderson
01-21-2014, 05:28 PM

This was probably not not the figure eight motion you read about. This looked more like what Johnny Petraglia used to do.

zdawg
01-21-2014, 05:41 PM
This was probably not not the figure eight motion you read about. This looked more like what Johnny Petraglia used to do.

Ok that makes sense, it just jumped out at me as being different from what I'm used to watching I guess its something he started doing early on in his bowling career and never bothered to mess with it since it obviously works for him.

Aslan
01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Weirdest Release I've seen:

1) That video posted on the boards not too long ago...I think by DHoff....where it looked like the kid was having a seizure before he threw it.

2) This guy at a tournament in Iowa...fusionrealtors...and he sort of had the ball chin level in front of him...and made some kind of motion, almost like he was using the ball to wash a window...as he approached. Really weird.

3) Any 2-handed bowler.

4) Back in the 80s/early 90s there were 2-3 (maybe less) PBA guys that would start with the ball down by their leg. In other words, no push or hinge...and as they approached the foul line they'd sort of rock the ball back and forth. I can't remember who the guys were...but I'm sure some of the guys in here know who I'm talking about.

Edit to Add: I think it was Wayne Webb. I know Holman and Wiseman also had their balls at their side during the approach...but I think it was Webb that did the back and forth swing.

J Anderson
01-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Weirdest Release I've seen:

1) That video posted on the boards not too long ago...I think by DHoff....where it looked like the kid was having a seizure before he threw it.

2) This guy at a tournament in Iowa...fusionrealtors...and he sort of had the ball chin level in front of him...and made some kind of motion, almost like he was using the ball to wash a window...as he approached. Really weird.

3) Any 2-handed bowler.

4) Back in the 80s/early 90s there were 2-3 (maybe less) PBA guys that would start with the ball down by their leg. In other words, no push or hinge...and as they approached the foul line they'd sort of rock the ball back and forth. I can't remember who the guys were...but I'm sure some of the guys in here know who I'm talking about.

Edit to Add: I think it was Wayne Webb. I know Holman and Wiseman also had their balls at their side during the approach...but I think it was Webb that did the back and forth swing.

Carmen Salvino was the first I remember that started with the arm straight/ball by the knee stance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t8_woNTK5Y

Matts Karlsson was almost the exact opposite, he started with the ball up by the shoulder and pushed the ball almost straight out from the shoulder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIATGptpmV0

Gary Dickenson's stance was normal, or at least normal for the era, but he held his left arm stiffly by his side through the approach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUzp-2QWQls&list=PL325C1077BD95B610

sprocket
01-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Bob Learn Jr just lets the ball hang there. Webb used to but doesn't any more. I almost do it. I could take my left hand off the ball and it wouldn't really matter because the ball is fully cupped in my right hand with my elbow in my gut. I have no backswing either and still throw the ball at about 16mph on the monitor which is really about 18mph off my hand with over 400rpm. It's pretty weird. I would never teach it.

When I was practicing Sunday the Minnesota Seniors Classic was bowling on the other end of the house. These guys are all over 50 and most of them are really good. You see a lot of very unique styles and a variety of releases. There's guys that are obviously good and others you might not pay much attention to until someone tells you how incredibly good they actually are. Here's a video with an example. This guy has cashed in 100% of the MSC tournaments. He makes the stepladder finals almost every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP5LielPpQc

Aslan
01-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Carmen Salvino was the first I remember that started with the arm straight/ball by the knee stance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t8_woNTK5Y

Wow. I forgot that Salvino bowled like that. And as a fan, I've watched a lot of Salvino, especially the older stuff. And THAT must be why I didn't notice. As you can see HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRN7sVCadnI), he didn't have that same approach in the old days.

Another thing about that link, you get to see a rather odd pre-approach ritual by Ray Bluth. You don't see that much anymore.

Aslan
01-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Bob Learn Jr just lets the ball hang there.

Bob Learn Jr….from what I saw, didn't start with his arm straight. He started with it tucked and bent over…the old school cranker stance.

GeoLes
01-27-2014, 01:00 PM
This conversation points out the variety in the sport. We don't see it that much with the pros on television in USBC, (unless you count Was Malots" absence of knee bend (due to knee problems), or Belmonte's rapid sideways shuffle for example. But I do recall seeing a women's competition in Japan where the leading bowler pushed off from the center of her body and physically stepped forward and left to get her body out of the way of the swing slot. It looked very awkward, but it worked for her. Then there was the bowler in the recent Japan Cup (I don't recall his name) whose starting position was with wide legs, kind of waddled forward, gradualy narrowing his stance until the slide.

There is lots of room for different styles of bowling as long as the practice is reiably repeateble by the bowler. (whatever we think of it :) )