PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Pocket 7-10

The German Shepherd
01-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Please help me! I have been leaving pocket 7-10s in my Monday night bowling league and I mean leaving them by the bushel basket full. In the last three weeks total, I have left 7 of them. What am I doing to make these happen like this??? What is the general thinking in regard to leaving them? I was thinking about throwing my equipment in the Delaware river on my way home last night, and then decided that maybe I should go jump in the river myself....but I didn't....

Jay

tr33frog
01-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Lately I've been treating them a bit like 10 pins, and moving over 3/4 of a board to my right (I'm right handed), and hitting the same mark. That being said, 7 in a night? I normally want to smash my ball after the second one.

circlecity
01-21-2014, 10:09 AM
I left one last night and I think it was because the ball came in at a crazy angle and sent the 1 pin to the left side wall.

tccstudent
01-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Please help me! I have been leaving pocket 7-10s in my Monday night bowling league and I mean leaving them by the bushel basket full. In the last three weeks total, I have left 7 of them. What am I doing to make these happen like this??? What is the general thinking in regard to leaving them? I was thinking about throwing my equipment in the Delaware river on my way home last night, and then decided that maybe I should go jump in the river myself....but I didn't....

Jay
Your signature says you throw about 17mph. By throwing this hard you are not allowing the pins a chance to mix it up real well. I have the same problem at times.

mc_runner
01-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Have you been throwing the same ball for all of them? Has anything changed with the pattern you're throwing on?

J Anderson
01-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Jay

I'm probably the wrong person to try and answer this since I haven't left a lot of these, possibly because I don't hit the pocket often enough to do so.

Assuming the cause isn't a bad rack, I would treat it like a ten pin. If it looks like a flat 10 when it hits, make whatever adjustment you would normally make for that. If it looked like a ringing ten, use that adjustment.

Mudpuppy
01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Move up, move back, move left, move right, slow the ball down a smidge. Small change should fix that. Anytime you get a 7-10 split you threw a good ball. Personally if I throw one I don't change anything on the next ball and it is usually a strike. Obviously that wasn't the case for you.

Perrin
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
I treat them like 10 pin leaves.

I move back(2-3" on the approach) for ringing 10, up for flat 10.

one of the houses I bowl we can watch video replay of the last ball thrown and every time I have left it there I watch the video. In those it alway appears that the 2 and 4 get mixed up and don't take out the 7.

I treat 7 pin only leaves as a 2-1(or 2-2) move left. for me they are almost always the result from coming in high with not enough angle so opening it up a little usually starts knocking them out again.

MICHAEL
01-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I treat them like 10 pin leaves.

I move back(2-3" on the approach) for ringing 10, up for flat 10.

one of the houses I bowl we can watch video replay of the last ball thrown and every time I have left it there I watch the video. In those it alway appears that the 2 and 4 get mixed up and don't take out the 7.

I treat 7 pin only leaves as a 2-1(or 2-2) move left. for me they are almost always the result from coming in high with not enough angle so opening it up a little usually starts knocking them out again.

I agree 100 percent! This has made a huge difference in my carry moving up, and back! It's amazing how much of a difference moving back can make on a rinning ten pin.

Before I use to move left a few boards, but it changed the angle to much for my style of bolwling, but staying at the same starting point, and simply moving back in my case 6 inches gives me good carry (most of the time), on the dreaded 10 pin! Don't get many 7 10 at all...once in a blue moon!

tr33frog
01-21-2014, 01:36 PM
I agree 100 percent! This has made a huge difference in my carry moving up, and back! It's amazing how much of a difference moving back can make on a rinning ten pin.

Before I use to move left a few boards, but it changed the angle to much for my style of bolwling, but staying at the same starting point, and simply moving back in my case 6 inches gives me good carry (most of the time), on the dreaded 10 pin! Don't get many 7 10 at all...once in a blue moon!

It is interesting, moving back and forth sort of just stopped working for me, and now moving right does. I can't explain why, because it had been working well for me for a long time. I'd leave it or almost leave one, then step back a few inches and carry on, but lately it was just another way to leave a 10 pin. Moving forward, same result.

bowl1820
01-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Jay

When you're leaving pins in the back row, your ball is not slowing down enough, or you're missing your breakpoint location.

TCJ
01-22-2014, 02:00 AM
Maybe it's just the center I bowl in, but I seem to notice most 7-10 leaves around here have some things in common: they generally are slightly on the light side and the ball almost always seems to die right before hitting the pins. It bounces off the head and into the three, nudging the six over in front of the ten. The ball barely has enough steam to tap the five, which flies in front of the seven. If I could film all the 7-10 splits around here and put them side by side, they'd all look identical!

Also, it's not speed around here. I see these leaves by people who throw slower (13 mph) and faster (18 mph). I see the left by people who have very flat shots from the corner and people who swing the ball from the left gutter to the right and back into the pocket. But, as I said above, they all look exactly the same when they hit.

Geneo2u
01-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Last week we had a bowler leave the 7-10 split 3 times in a row.. that will mess up your score..