PDA

View Full Version : Slumping - it's a marathon not a sprint

Mudpuppy
01-23-2014, 03:30 PM
It's been a really up and down season for me. Mostly down. Been slumping even worse lately. It started off just after I started getting consistent again and then I started throwing 2 good games and 1 bad game. Then I threw a few series with 1 good game and 2 bad games. Now all 3 games have been bad. Major adjustments. Trying to remind myself I am exactly where I planned to be in this returning season after 4 years off. It's just so hard to be patient. I have thrown some decent games this year ranging from 220 to 265 but few and far between. I see a glimpse of hope every once in awhile but it quickly fades. I really think my problem isn't bowling related at all - it's more mental and physical. Too many distractions with work and home plus just fell completely off any kind of workout program as well as my normal meditation routine. I need to clean some pending issues up and get back to working out ASAP. Once you fall off the workout horse it's super hard to get back on. Tired because you are out of shape but don't want to be tired but feel too unmotivated to workout - vicious circle. I've had the same sort of ups and downs in just about every sport I have ever played. It always seems to come back sooner or later. Sometimes just not thinking about the slump cures the slump.

swingset
01-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I think we've all been there, at least those of us with a few miles on the chassis.

I can definitely sympathize and my game has been picking up this winter but this is coming off a year-long slump of trying to find a more consistent swing amidst a couple injuries (motorcycle & mountain bike wrecks) and things that have stood in the way.

I'm pretty good about staying in shape, but I need to be more regular and incorporate yoga/stretching into my workouts as I'm getting to the age where being limber is super important to not only bowling but activities in general.

I don't think enough people appreciate how being in shape can affect your game for the better, not only for injury resistance but consistency....especially over the course of many games. When you have a baseline physical fitness, 3-6 games is very easy on the body and you won't feel appreciably different nor will your muscles notice a swing in cool/hot to limber/tight as you would if you're not in shape and bowl the same. Not to mention just the general benefits of having stronger muscles around your connective tissue and how beneficial this is in reducing joint and muscle problems associated with a sport like bowling.

Mudpuppy
01-24-2014, 04:11 PM
It's definitely a roller coaster ride. Always chasing that perfect game. And when it all comes together for a great series it keeps you coming back during the dark times.

Aslan
01-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Are you still trying to shoot 2-handed?

Not starting anything…and this is despite my bias…I've just seen that a majority of the folks I've seen roll 2-handed have had very "roller coaster" type experiences.

I watched a kid today at a tournament. He obviously is a experienced bowler…for a kid in the 11-15 range…and his 2-handed form looked great. And in game 3…he was I think a frame or 2 away from 300. But in games 1 and 2…he was all over the place and I don't think he broke 160 in either game….one game I think he barely broke 130.

And he had another pet peeve of mine working against him…he had ELEVEN balls with him! ELEVEN!! He actually said to his coach, "Well, I brought 11 balls so I'm sure I'll have one that will end up working." But…I digress. In game 3, he was QUITE impressive…so I commend him.

But yeah, I don't know if you're still doing 2-handed or not…I just thought I'd make the observation.

Mudpuppy
01-27-2014, 01:42 PM
I do not and have never bowled 2 handed. I use Earl Anthony method to a T.