PDA

View Full Version : So is the theory behind a plastic spare ball is you don't have to flatten your wrist?

zdawg
01-25-2014, 06:53 PM
I thought the whole idea with a plastic spare ball is so that you can use your regular "hook" release yet the ball would still go perfectly or mostly straight. I was looking at the Storm Ice ball and the first review said "If you send this one end over end with no side rotation, it is guaranteed not to hook at all."

Well the thing is, if I throw my Ebonite Cyclone end over end with no side rotation I can guarantee it won't hook at all either, as that's what I currently do when I want to throw the ball straight at spares. The catch is I have to flatten my wrist and/or break it to make the ball go perfectly straight.

Am I misunderstanding the whole concept behind using a plastic spare ball, namely that the whole point is that you can use your normal release and not have to worry about the ball hooking?

bowl1820
01-25-2014, 07:24 PM
When you use a "Hooking" ball even if you flatten your wrist, it runs the risk of unexpected movement do to the conditions.The thing about using a plastic spare ball is that, it takes the lane conditions mostly out of play and reduces that risk to the minimum.

A lot of players use the same release as their "Hook" release with the spare ball, for example the crankers who can't flatten their wrist or kill the shot. that's why they want the hardest plastic ball they can get and highly polish it. Because with the right conditions even a plastic ball will hook some.

Now if you can flatten/break back your wrist, then the spare ball will go just that much straighter.

Rob Mautner quote:
The reason plastic is so important on any sport pattern, is the friction on lane moves around as the oil transitions. On a house shot, we always know that our strike ball will find friction outside of ten board. Not so on a sport shot. If anyone doesn't believe in the value of using plastic for single pin spares, just think about this: virtually every PBA Touring Pro uses a plastic spare ball. The glaring exception is Norm Duke. I asked him why he doesn't use plastic for spares. He said that he doesn't have to carry an extra ball this way. He says that if he is throwing a weak ball, he will back it up one board for spares. If he is throwing a mid-range ball, he will back it up two boards, and if he is throwing a strong ball, he will back it up three balls. Unless you are as good as Norm Duke, use plastic for all your single pin spares. If you do it all the time, then it will be second nature when you are bowling on a tough pattern.

zdawg
01-25-2014, 09:03 PM
When you use a "Hooking" ball even if you flatten your wrist, it runs the risk of unexpected movement do to the conditions.The thing about using a plastic spare ball is that, it takes the lane conditions mostly out of play and reduces that risk to the minimum.

A lot of players use the same release as their "Hook" release with the spare ball, for example the crankers who can't flatten their wrist or kill the shot. that's why they want the hardest plastic ball they can get and highly polish it. Because with the right conditions even a plastic ball will hook some.

Now if you can flatten/break back your wrist, then the spare ball will go just that much straighter.

Rob Mautner quote:
The reason plastic is so important on any sport pattern, is the friction on lane moves around as the oil transitions. On a house shot, we always know that our strike ball will find friction outside of ten board. Not so on a sport shot. If anyone doesn't believe in the value of using plastic for single pin spares, just think about this: virtually every PBA Touring Pro uses a plastic spare ball. The glaring exception is Norm Duke. I asked him why he doesn't use plastic for spares. He said that he doesn't have to carry an extra ball this way. He says that if he is throwing a weak ball, he will back it up one board for spares. If he is throwing a mid-range ball, he will back it up two boards, and if he is throwing a strong ball, he will back it up three balls. Unless you are as good as Norm Duke, use plastic for all your single pin spares. If you do it all the time, then it will be second nature when you are bowling on a tough pattern.

Ok got it, thanks. Based on this I'll look to acquiring a plastic ball in the near future, until then I'll continue to use my "weak" ball to practice my straight spares

Aslan
01-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Z-

While I disagree a bit with Rob and many others on the use of spare balls/plastic balls…the "reasoning" behind it is sound. Spare shooting is about precision…and a plastic ball is affected less by lane conditions than a reactive resin strike ball.

Where I disagree with the "experts"; is I think much like an "arsenal"…a plastic spare ball should be left to those high-level intermediate bowlers, advanced bowlers, and pro bowlers. My reasoning is, beginner bowlers and low-level intermediate bowlers I feel will benefit more from learning lateral movement and perfecting their consistent release than the benefit they receive from having multiple balls and a plastic spare ball.

Where I "agree" with the "experts"…is if you're using a big hook, 2-handed, thumbless type of scenario…a plastic spare ball may be a necessity for you because you literally can't hit certain leaves without drastically changing your release.

I use a "back-up ball" when bowling on synthetic lanes where my Rhythm is my strike ball. But I tend to only use the "back-up ball" on moderate-heavy oil, for certain splits, and for leaves that are far on the right (right handed) like a single 10 or a 6-10. All other leaves in the center or on the left can be easily picked up with my strike ball.

Now, have I missed spare shots because I use a reactive resin ball and not plastic? Yup. I have. I admit that. But I've also MADE a LOT of spares by hooking my ball into the spot I want it.

But I agree with you. I think if you get a plastic ball…the real advantage should be being able to throw it without flattening your wrist. If it's still gonna move (just less)…then it seems like it's defeating the purpose to some extent.

classygranny
01-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Z-

While I disagree a bit with Rob and many others on the use of spare balls/plastic balls…the "reasoning" behind it is sound. Spare shooting is about precision…and a plastic ball is affected less by lane conditions than a reactive resin strike ball.

Where I disagree with the "experts"; is I think much like an "arsenal"…a plastic spare ball should be left to those high-level intermediate bowlers, advanced bowlers, and pro bowlers. My reasoning is, beginner bowlers and low-level intermediate bowlers I feel will benefit more from learning lateral movement and perfecting their consistent release than the benefit they receive from having multiple balls and a plastic spare ball.

Where I "agree" with the "experts"…is if you're using a big hook, 2-handed, thumbless type of scenario…a plastic spare ball may be a necessity for you because you literally can't hit certain leaves without drastically changing your release.

I use a "back-up ball" when bowling on synthetic lanes where my Rhythm is my strike ball. But I tend to only use the "back-up ball" on moderate-heavy oil, for certain splits, and for leaves that are far on the right (right handed) like a single 10 or a 6-10. All other leaves in the center or on the left can be easily picked up with my strike ball.

Now, have I missed spare shots because I use a reactive resin ball and not plastic? Yup. I have. I admit that. But I've also MADE a LOT of spares by hooking my ball into the spot I want it.

But I agree with you. I think if you get a plastic ball…the real advantage should be being able to throw it without flattening your wrist. If it's still gonna move (just less)…then it seems like it's defeating the purpose to some extent.

Sorry to say I disagree, yet agree, with this statement and it sounds as if you are being a bit contradictory...

If we, "beginner bowlers and low-level intermediate bowlers" will benefit more from learning to perfect our consistent release, (end of my agreement), then it would stand to reason that by using a plastic spare ball and thus throwing EVERY ball using the same release, we would then perfect that consistent release much faster than if you try and LEARN to have one release for your strike ball and another for your spare shooting, thus almost alternating releases between each ball being thrown. And, by perfecting the release by using plastic, and thus, being able to obtain a good spare shooting system, the average rises more quickly giving confidence to the beginner and low-level intermediate bowler, thus creating more desire and ability to become better bowlers.

MICHAEL
01-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Other then Norm Duke a true bowing genius! I would have to agree, that its just common sense you SHOULD LEARN to throw a plastic ball for spares.

I am not talking about HOUSE PATTERNS!

But Sports patterns you can assume that your going to shot second arrow, and hit that 7 pin! SURE on a house pattern its almost automatic in my opinion.

But try that on MOST of the Sports patterns, and kiss it goodbye!!

I don't use a plastic ball, but do throw a sling-shot, drilled very weak. I have learned to throw the ball with a forward spin, palm up! It has help a BUNCH with my percentage of 10 pin pick ups, and other

I need to use it on other spares, just because it will help when I start the sports patterns!

I am sure plastic, which is used by almost all the pro's for spares, is the way to go, but I prefer my sling shot, with the release I use to plastic. ((((it has a very small amount of hold on the edge if I am off on my target for the ten pin))).
I will start, maybe tonight throwing my sling-shot palm up and straight at the 7, and most other spare shots.

Aslan
01-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Sorry to say I disagree, yet agree, with this statement and it sounds as if you are being a bit contradictory...

It's not contradictory because with only lateral movement, and a weak ball…you don't have to change your release at all. I use my Frantic, Iceman uses a Slingshot. I actually will start using a Slingshot when I retire the Frantic. But on low-oil/wood….I just use the Frantic for all shots….and I never change my release.

But you're right…THATs why I use the Frantic as a back-up ball to my Rhythm on heavier oil…because to throw the Rhythm at right side leaves like the single 10 or 6-10…I might have to flatten my hand and that messes with my trajectory/targeting/aim.

I am not talking about HOUSE PATTERNS!

But Ice…this is where I scratch my head a little bit. I take a lot of heat for having unpopular opinions…and a lot of time people say, " oh…well, yeah, you could get away with a smaller arsenal and no plastic ball on THS patterns." But don't like 97% of bowlers pretty much only play on THS patterns?? VDub plays tournaments from time to time. But how many other users on this site:

1) Bowl in more than one house? 12%?
2) Bowl in tournaments regularly? 0.5%?
3) Bowl on sport patterns? 2%?

THATs why I tailor my answers to good/serious bowlers bowling on THS patterns. Because there are SO very few regular users on here that are in the small minority where arsenals and plastic spare balls are a "necessity".

I don't use a plastic ball, but do throw a sling-shot, drilled very weak. I have learned to throw the ball with a forward spin, palm up! It has help a BUNCH with my percentage of 10 pin pick ups, and other

I am sure plastic, which is used by almost all the pro's for spares, is the way to go, but I prefer my sling shot, with the release I use to plastic. ((((it has a very small amount of hold on the edge if I am off on my target for the ten pin))).
THIS!

That is the biggest advantage of using a weak reactive resin over plastic if you ask me. I used a Columbia WD for about 2-3 months as a back-up ball…and yeah, it went straighter than the Frantic….but man…it took a LOT of abuse as it straight lined into the gutter just in front (or well in front) of the 10-pin. The Frantic (like your Slingshot) lets me miss right…and it'll sometimes grab.

P.S. Nice to have you back Iceman. :o

dpatrickv
01-27-2014, 12:45 PM
I throw thumbless two finger/two handed-esque and if I didnt user a plastic ball for right side(9/10 pin) spares then there would be no way I would ever pick them up. My release for spares is identical to my first ball release, and I am much more efficient/consistent doing that then trying to learn a new way to throw my strike ball differently for my spares(And yes, I have attempted it).