PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a "good answer" on this?????

Iceman
01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I've asked so many times - and I've understood the answers, but when I watch video of the pin falls - it doesn't always apply when it happens and when it doesn't

Can someone explain the main reason(s) for leaving 10 pins (being right handed). My current coach says never move off pocket shot solid 10 pins or even weak 10 pins - he always says "you'll get company if you do move, isn't a single pin easier to get then multiples?"

My take on this - is you can adjust - I don't see pro's wrapping 10 pins as often as I do, but I know I'm not a pro and I don't repeat the shot as accurate as they do - but I need to really understand this - as this is a mental confidence piece in my game I lack. When I'm wrapping 10 pins during league, I keep doing it, the last 2 nights of league I've left 18 10 pins in 6 games. That's 3 per game avg, but I had a game where I had 7 in 1 game. Just trying to get some more insight.

kev3inp
01-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I have the same problem with sevens, but that's due to being left handed. I find that it's a very fine adjustment to where the ball enters the pins. I'll throw it the same way, or as close as I can, but I'll move up or back to see what happens, and if that doesn't change things I'll try to get the ball to land further out on the lane and see if it retains more energy at the rack. Some nights, though, it's frustrating as hell when none of my guesswork pans out. Sometimes I'll just change balls when nothing else works.

Iceman
01-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Someone different was subbing last night with our team, he mentioned to me about the 10 pins I was leaving in first game - I only left 4 of them but 3 were tri-backs. He said bring your target 1Ft back and keep same roll. I did that try it, didn't leave another 10 pin all night - but I got into a groove and was able to move right due to carry down and go harder and straighter with the 15# gamebreaker instead of the first game using the 14# gamebreaker. I'll try it again on my next few league nights, see if there is a connection with it or I notice the change...

jaws1945
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
My answer would be angle of entry to the pocket. Sometimes ball entry can be a little flat due to the ball having used up its energy. Also I have noticed when playing a tighter line if it is not high flush it will leave a weak 10 or 7 if lefthanded, possibly from playing in the oil

Iceman
01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
My answer would be angle of entry to the pocket. Sometimes ball entry can be a little flat due to the ball having used up its energy. Also I have noticed when playing a tighter line if it is not high flush it will leave a weak 10 or 7 if lefthanded, possibly from playing in the oil

So when you describe entry, I have good entry into the pocket most times, some carry some don't - I'm not saying I have the same rpm or speed everytime, but on nights that are consistently wrapping 10's or even weak 10's (I kinda understand weak 10's) what should I do - moving up and back doesn't seem to effect my shots, maybe mental shaping there - but swinging the ball wide is when I notice more wrap 10's then not. Playing tighter shots with oil, the energy should be with the ball at the backend, but more high carry's tripping 4's then wrap 10's.

Just looking for all around suggestions.

jaws1945
01-14-2009, 10:15 AM
IMHO Wraparound 10's and ringing 7's are just part of the game. I think the rack of pins off spot slightly can sometimes be a cause, but solid hits are hard to turn away from. You have to be doing something right if your leaving solid 10's and ringing 7's.

JerseyJim
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Speed is a culprit sometimes. If I'm on a string, I have to constantly remind myself just to let the ball fall, or keep my rhythm consistent.

TN_Valley
01-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Leaving 10's is all about angles. You hit the 1-3 pocket. The 3 is supposed to go square into the 6, and the 6 into the 10. If you're wrapping, The 6 could be mis-spotted as little as 1/4" back, the 3 1/4" forward, or even the head pin 1/4" off spot right.

I did notice that you have two of the same ball, just different weights. Are the holes exactly the same spots? I only bring one strike ball with me to league because the shot NEVER changes. The only reason why it would change would be because I'm on the end pair and they seem to run the machine down those twice.

As for help, make sure that the ball after it gets through the pins, it's behind where the 5 pin should be. If it is behind the 9 or 6 pin, then your ball is difflecting and not driving through the pins. A slight adjustment (1/2 board) right should help get you through the pin-deck better. If it's behind the 8 pin, your ball is driving too hard and you probably need to move your mark and you 1 board left.

If you have a different ball altogether, I'd try that too.

My personal record is 5 straight ringing 10's.

Hope this helps explain things.

Iceman
01-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Leaving 10's is all about angles. You hit the 1-3 pocket. The 3 is supposed to go square into the 6, and the 6 into the 10. If you're wrapping, The 6 could be mis-spotted as little as 1/4" back, the 3 1/4" forward, or even the head pin 1/4" off spot right.

I did notice that you have two of the same ball, just different weights. Are the holes exactly the same spots? I only bring one strike ball with me to league because the shot NEVER changes. The only reason why it would change would be because I'm on the end pair and they seem to run the machine down those twice.

As for help, make sure that the ball after it gets through the pins, it's behind where the 5 pin should be. If it is behind the 9 or 6 pin, then your ball is difflecting and not driving through the pins. A slight adjustment (1/2 board) right should help get you through the pin-deck better. If it's behind the 8 pin, your ball is driving too hard and you probably need to move your mark and you 1 board left.

If you have a different ball altogether, I'd try that too.

My personal record is 5 straight ringing 10's.

Hope this helps explain things.

Actually - this reminded me of something - watching the ball go through the pin deck. On nights I do wrap 10's consistently, I forget about where the ball is through the pins. I just think the ball is getting down the lane to long and breaking at the same area, just later causing the wraps. Once I read this, I thought to myself "duh - how'd I forget that?" Thanks for reminding me.

Jord_84
01-21-2009, 09:47 AM
If you're hanging 10 pins, it's because your timing is off. To correct the problem, move the foot you start your approach with forward or backward an inch.

hipcheck
01-21-2009, 05:18 PM
This is how it was explained to me. There are two types of 10 pin leaves: weak and solid/ringing. The weak 10 pin occurs when the 6 pin falls into the channel. This is a result of not hitting the pocket solid, but rather hit it a little light. The solid /ringing occurs when the ball hits the pocket and the 6 pin flies around the neck of the 10 pin. This occurs when the ball hits with to much power and/or the wrong entry angle into the pocket and sends the pins air-born. The last few years I have seen more pocket hit 7-10's and a few 5-7-10's.