PDA

View Full Version : USBC Ambassador Nepomuceno to receive World Bowling Writers award

onefrombills
01-09-2009, 11:56 PM
The World Bowling Writers recently announced that USBC Ambassador and international bowling legend Paeng Nepomuceno, of the Philippines, will be the recipient of the 2009 World Bowling Writers Mort Luby Jr. Distinguished Service Award.

Nepomuceno has been a fixture on the international bowling scene for more than three decades, winning the Bowling World Cup in 1976, '80, '82 and '96 and collecting several medals in World
Championships, World Games and Asian Zone Championships competition. In addition, he holds Guinness World Records for number of titles won worldwide (118), winning the World Cup in three different decades and for being the youngest bowler to win a World Cup title (19).

More recently, Nepomuceno has turned his focus to giving back to the sport by working as an ambassador for USBC. In that role, Nepomuceno has conducted coaching certification classes at the Level I, Bronze and Silver levels, leading to the certification of more than 100 new USBC coaches worldwide.

Nepomuceno's training is part of the USBC's effort to create an international coach training program and bolster the strength of federations within bowling's world governing body, the Federation Internationale des Quilleurs (FIQ). This is in line with USBC's goal to have bowling included in the Olympics.

"I offer my sincerest congratulations to Paeng Nepomuceno on being recognized for this prestigious award," said Kevin Dornberger, USBC Chief Operating Officer and World Tenpin Bowling Association President. "Not only has he proven over the years to be a top notch competitor, but he is also a world-class coach. I personally thank him for his contributions to bowling."

Nepomuceno will be presented with the award when he travels to Barnsley, England, April 17-19 to compete in the World Tenpin Masters, an event he won in 1999.