PDA

View Full Version : Question about cutting the amount of hook on my Raw Hammer Anger ball..........

Hammer
02-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Some folks here might say WHAT! Taking some hook out of a ball? I know that hooking a ball a lot is good for show but not for dough. I have a Raw Hammer Anger ball that is reactive resin of course and has a 2000 Abralon matte surface. It hooks like crazy on our house THS pattern that is freshly laid down right before our league starts. I know that I can change the surface to 4000 Abralon to take some hook out but I was wondering what kind of polish can I add to the surface change to make it straighten out even more? I am not trying to make it go straight but maybe take out half of it's hook potential.

Even with the surface change and the polish I am sure that it will still have good hooking power but with better control. So should I do this in two steps where I go to a 4000 Abralon surface first and then the polish afterwards? What is a good brand of polish? There are polishes that can make a ball surface rougher or smoother. I am looking for a polish for a smoother surface to help cut down some hook. Any suggestions from those that have done this type of change to their ball?

When you have a polish on your ball and you clean it after a three game league night with a ball cleaner to take the oil off of it do you have to then reapply the polish after you clean it? It seems like the ball cleaner would remove the polish you have on the ball when you clean it.

got_a_300
02-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Hammer,
I would go with the 4000 grit first and see what kind of reaction
you get from it after and if it is still hooking too much then you
can throw a coat of polish in it.

The polish will make it push a little farther down lane on the oil
but the ball may have a violent reaction/hook on the back end
when it comes off of the end of the pattern.

No you will not have to re-polish the ball after cleaning it with a
ball cleaner every time but after xxx amount of games the polish
may need to be reapplied as it will wear off eventually.

Ptnomore
02-11-2014, 08:11 AM
It's a common misconception, that polish is added like wax. Polish won't and can't be built-up like coats of wax. Remember, your ball has pores that soak up oil (edited...lol)...we don't want those pores to get plugged up.

Polish is merely a chemical lubricant of sorts that helps knock off the sharp edges and smooth the valleys in textured finish to give a shine. The more you polish the ball, the more peaks/valleys are getting smoothed out. Same thing with taking the polish off with 4000 or 3000 grit. The longer you apply it, the more of the deep peaks/valleys from the 500 grit you are removing.

As you bowl, shiny, polished balls get duller (deeper peaks/valleys form) in the track area, and dull (heavy oil) balls get shinier (the deep peakes and valleys wear down in the track area).

So oil itself does not remove any polish. There's nothing to remove. It's the shine that tends to get scratched back up again due to constant contact and friction of the lanes and to a lesser degree, the equipment.

bowl1820
02-11-2014, 08:35 AM
It's a common misconception, that polish is added like wax. Polish won't and can't be built-up like coats of wax. Remember, your ball has pores that soak up resin...we don't want those to get plugged up.
The ball doesn't soak up Resin, it soaks up oil/lane conditioner.

Polish is merely a chemical lubricant of sorts that helps knock off the sharp edges and smooth the valleys in textured finish to give a shine.
Most Polishes used are abrasives not lubricant's.

Though there are some polishes that also contain a Slip Agent which could be thought of as a lubricant.

As you bowl, shiny, polished balls get duller (deeper peaks/valleys form) in the track area, and dull (heavy oil) balls get shinier (the deep peakes and valleys wear down in the track area).
+1

So oil itself does not remove any polish. There's nothing to remove. It's the shine that tends to get scratched back up again due to constant contact and friction of the lanes and to a lesser degree, the equipment.

Basically true, though if you used a polish with a slip agent. The slip agent will be wore off over time and there are some cleaners that can remove the slip agents also.

Ptnomore
02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
The ball doesn't soak up Resin, it soaks up oil/lane conditioner....

LOL....good catch. Can't believe I wrote that. But, it is giving me a good laugh.

And I forgot about the slip agent. Good stuff. Had to use it on my plastic on the older wood lanes.