PDA

View Full Version : Got a nice compliment today....

sprocket
02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
I have been working pretty hard on my game lately. I practice 12 games every Sunday and sometimes once during the week. It's funny how things can just suddenly come around because I had been in a rather long slump. My average was right around 200 and not really going anywhere after averaging as high as 217 in the past.

I bowl thumbless and recently tried going back to using my thumb. That didn't work out so the next thing I tried was incorporating a full cup in my grip where the ball is rolled all the way back on my wrist right from the start. In the past I didn't seem to have the flexibility to do that. Now why would I suddenly be able to do it when I am almost 50 yrs old? I don't know, but I can, and suddenly my release is MUCH more consistent and my speed and RPM have both increased. So has my accuracy.

It's only really been coming all together for the last two months or so. Anyway, about that compliment...

Today my usual group was joined by a local proshop owner and bowler who is a bit of a legend in this area. He is a top notch bower and has been for a long time. He has drilled balls for the majority of the top bowlers in the area. He is also a Dick Ritger certified coach and has been coaching for over 30 yrs.

So, he bowled about six games with us and then I talked to him about maybe getting some used ball from him. He said he had over 100 plugged balls so for sure I should see him. Then he said.....

He was totally impressed with my game and I was one of the top two thumbless bowlers he had EVER seen in person. He told me not to change ANYTHING about my release. He said usually thumbless guys lack speed but I had very good speed. This comes from a guy who has been picking apart games for 30 yrs.

I talked to him about how on at least one of my balls my track tends to clip the thumb. He basically told me not to worry about it. He said we should never sacrifice reaction just to use a layout that moves the track further from the thumb. Plus he said I only catch the edge of it so it's not like I'm rolling right over the center of it. It only hits it the first couple of revs anyway.

Anyway. now I've got a lot of confidence! Us thumbless guys really take a beating to our ego quite a bit because we never really know if we are good or not. I mean I have NO backswing so I assume my game is not that pretty to watch. What I do have is a great release and terrific ball roll. Again, I am different than most thumbless bowlers because my track is not inverted and I project the ball out very well. Today, like last Sunday, I was able to move right when the others were moving LEFT and play the right ditch the last several games. I had very little room to miss either direction and I did ditch one ball. But if I could hit the one to three board at the break point I had a great reaction. How many thumbless guys can play up the ditch? OK, now I'm bragging but I really do feel better about my game and I am ready to shoot a big number tomorrow on league!

Of course my left hip is killing me.....

Pauley
02-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Good for you! A stroke of the ol' ego never hurts the cause :-)

MICHAEL
02-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Feels good to get a complement, does it not!! LOL Being real proud of my new Storm, Blue/Gray/and Silver 6 ball bowling bag, I took it for a roll around the block yesterday! Wow the amount of attention I got, pulling it proudly around the block, just Iceman and his bag,,,, and complements!!

I had several fans of my bag, just walk behind me,,,, some taking pictures,,, Some just making commits like:" I would trade my new husband for a bag like that",,,,,,, "I could rule the world if I had a bag like that", and " Who needs a flu shoot, with a bag like that!!

Yes my life has changed in ways I can't even describe,,,, and you probably don't want to know!!

Best Price anywhere, and I did my homework was our beloved benefactor, bowlingball.com!

Trex
02-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Great job sprocket!! and good to know someone who matters took notice, and gave you the compliment!! :cool:

I also bowl without using the thumb, I can also bowl using my thumb, all depends on what look I need :)

tccstudent
02-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Best Price anywhere, and I did my homework was our beloved benefactor, bowlingball.com!

Shoot you cant even get the bag I just got for a few months Bowlingball.com hooked me up good.

sprocket
02-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Feels good to get a complement, does it not!! LOL Being real proud of my new Storm, Blue/Gray/and Silver 6 ball bowling bag, I took it for a roll around the block yesterday! Wow the amount of attention I got, pulling it proudly around the block, just Iceman and his bag,,,, and complements!!

I had several fans of my bag, just walk behind me,,,, some taking pictures,,, Some just making commits like:" I would trade my new husband for a bag like that",,,,,,, "I could rule the world if I had a bag like that", and " Who needs a flu shoot, with a bag like that!!

Yes my life has changed in ways I can't even describe,,,, and you probably don't want to know!!

I compliment you on your ability to get a six ball bag out of your vehicle!

MICHAEL
02-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I compliment you on your ability to get a six ball bag out of your vehicle!

I don't even take it apart,,, I grab that thing of beauty, like a beautiful woman, (my wife) and raise it off the ground, and into the back of my wife's Prius! (that was made in America)! Its only about 120lbs! I am IRON MAN,,, LOL

Ok the truth, it comes apart REAL EASY, so in many ways, much easier then my 3 ball bag to load up! Plus I had two exta bags with the 3 ball bag that I had to carry in, so my hands were full! Now 6 balls, and a hand free!! (:)

mike_thomas93
02-22-2014, 07:21 PM
I used to bowl thumbless too. That's actually when I first learned how to curve the ball. Saw another guy doing it the lanes next to me. And this was back when I was like 13 in 8th grade :p

mike_thomas93
02-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Have fun carrying that bag around a frequent basis, Ice. Try not to let it flip over when you roll it on a rocky road;p

MICHAEL
02-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Have fun carrying that bag around a frequent basis, Ice. Try not to let it flip over when you roll it on a rocky road;p

Its got 3 large wheel, its not going to flip over while I have a hold of it!! LOL It's almost ART WORK, is so fricken beautiful!

Mike White
02-23-2014, 12:15 AM
I mean I have NO backswing so I assume my game is not that pretty to watch.
What I do have is a great release and terrific ball roll.

Talk about not pretty to watch…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNZ6SEH-3Fk

noeymc
02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Talk about not pretty to watch…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNZ6SEH-3Fk

ever notice how all these 900's and high scores are at a BZ and not a family owned shop... i know the bz around me is prob one of the easiest shots around

larry mc
02-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Keep up the good work , an ego boost every now and then can really help your confidence

Mike White
02-24-2014, 03:30 AM
ever notice how all these 900's and high scores are at a BZ and not a family owned shop... i know the bz around me is prob one of the easiest shots around

Vince Wood 222-12451 shot the 3rd 900 sanctioned series back in 1999.

It was at Universal Strike, which is a family (two brothers) owned "shop"

Jimmy Schmitzer 5466-9227, has had some more high series, with something like 4 strikes away from 900, but he's now in Vegas so maybe Rob can describe his style.

classygranny
02-25-2014, 10:25 PM

Come shoot in some of our BZs and you wouldn't make this statement.

Mike White
02-26-2014, 12:03 AM
But if I could hit the one to three board at the break point I had a great reaction. How many thumbless guys can play up the ditch?

Ok it's not thumbless, but none the less impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70zloyrYndc

Geneo2u
02-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Talk about having to trust your shot... cool to watch