PDA

View Full Version : My new ball!!! question?

Vince805
02-22-2014, 04:52 PM
http://www.stormbowling.com/img/balls/tqhwsxqkewh/ball-large.jpg
So i just ordered this today after listening to recommendations given both here and by the pro shop. Only thing i didn't ask and now curious of is it it will work on heavier oil lane conditions...Seeing that i dont have a high rev rate, id say medium revs for me, but about 15-16 mph ball speed.

Mike White
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM
http://www.stormbowling.com/img/balls/tqhwsxqkewh/ball-large.jpg
So i just ordered this today after listening to recommendations given both here and by the pro shop. Only thing i didn't ask and now curious of is it it will work on heavier oil lane conditions...Seeing that i dont have a high rev rate, id say medium revs for me, but about 15-16 mph ball speed.

It's a low RG 2.49 symmetrical hybrid 1500 polished ball.

You can sand the surface to get earlier friction.

If what you describe as heavy oil is still a THS, then there will still be dry area on the outside.

For some, heavy oil is really just longer oil pattern.

The 2.49 RG allows the ball to go from skid to roll in a short period of time.

If you have a flat heavy oil pattern, the Marvel-S would probably have been a better choice.

The RG value is almost the same, the ball is still symmetrical, and the cover is all solid.

Out of the box it's 3000 dull, but you can easily change down to 500, 1000 or 1500.

tccstudent
02-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Last night I was bowling at a house with pretty heavy oil and the pair next to mine there was four of these on the rack and they were looking pretty good.
If I didnt have two Reign On's I would be getting one of these. During practice I did throw one of the guys balls once I do like this ball. Maybe down the road I might pick one up.

RobLV1
02-22-2014, 06:47 PM
I just tried one out today, and got a very good reaction on a house shot. Mike's right, if you are looking for something for heavy oil, consider adding some surface, but if it's a house shot, you can play the oil line with the box surface and get a great reaction. Remember, no matter how long or "heavy" the pattern is, there's always dry boards for friction past the pattern.

MICHAEL
02-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Putting the specks side by side, it looks almost exactly like the Butter Scotch, IQ Pearl! Both have a polished finish, and going down the list, they are a perfect match 90 percent of the way!
I know the IQ peal is one hell of a ball, gave me a 300 back in April.

I would love to have one of these, if money grew on trees!! (:)

I think you will like very much, Good luck!

Mike White
02-23-2014, 12:04 AM
I just tried one out today, and got a very good reaction on a house shot. Mike's right, if you are looking for something for heavy oil, consider adding some surface, but if it's a house shot, you can play the oil line with the box surface and get a great reaction. Remember, no matter how long or "heavy" the pattern is, there's always dry boards for friction past the pattern.

Dry boards aren't too helpful if the ball doesn't have time to transition from skid, to hook, then to roll in those few feet of back end between the oil pattern, and the pins.

I see people pull the ball into the oil on a 39 foot THS, and get no back end reaction in the last 21 feet.

Imagine a 50 foot flat pattern.

RobLV1
02-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Iceman:

It is the exact same ball with a hybrid coverstock rather than the pearl. I use the original IQ Tour (solid) a lot, but never got the pearl for the simple reason that I avoid pearls because I find them too squirty for my taste. The hybrid combines the smooth roll of the orginal, with the added pop off of the dry of the pearl without the over/under that accompanies pearls.

MICHAEL
02-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Iceman:

It is the exact same ball with a hybrid coverstock rather than the pearl. I use the original IQ Tour (solid) a lot, but never got the pearl for the simple reason that I avoid pearls because I find them too squirty for my taste. The hybrid combines the smooth roll of the orginal, with the added pop off of the dry of the pearl without the over/under that accompanies pearls.

funny thing Rob, what's a squirrely to one person can be a beautiful piece of Buttscotch in the form of a IQ pearl, that gave me my first 300, a while back. I need to look it up, but I believe the V.G.Nanno is a pearl also, which gave me my second 300 about 6 months later! Yes I am on a 300 role with pearls here lately!

My person observation is that pearls may not be diamonds, but Pearls are iceman's best friend!! (Marylyn Monroe movie,lol) ring a bell?? lol

tccstudent
02-23-2014, 12:48 PM
My person observation is that pearls may not be diamonds, but Pearls are iceman's best friend!! (Marylyn Monroe movie,lol) ring a bell?? lol

How old do you think I am wasnt she a actress back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

RobLV1
02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Iceman:

So much depends on the particular combination of speed, axis tilt, and axis rotation, along with the part of the lane that a bowler likes to play. I don't have a lot of axis tilt, medium axis rotation, and medium (16.5) ball speed, so my ball tends to roll early if I get into the dry too quickly, so I like to play a little more in and use the friction past the pattern rather than outside of it. When a pearl ball hits that friction, it reacts so violently that it often leaves me nine pins, four pins, and four-nine splits. If I happen to miss right with it and hit the friction early, then it's weak tens all day. With the hybrid cover on the Fusion, it tames it down just enough to really open up the lane for me. I used it again this morning, and was able to get way left by the end of the sixth game, and still find enough skid to get it down the lane, and enough reaction to get it back from just about anywhere west of Texas.

MICHAEL
02-23-2014, 02:01 PM
How old do you think I am wasnt she a actress back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

YES,,, tccstudent, she was pre-Dinosaur Age, or in other words back when Iceman was a young man, jumping form Ice caps, to frozen tundra!! I might have a picture of her here somewhere,,, I will dig it up!

MICHAEL
02-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Iceman:

So much depends on the particular combination of speed, axis tilt, and axis rotation, along with the part of the lane that a bowler likes to play. I don't have a lot of axis tilt, medium axis rotation, and medium (16.5) ball speed, so my ball tends to roll early if I get into the dry too quickly, so I like to play a little more in and use the friction past the pattern rather than outside of it. When a pearl ball hits that friction, it reacts so violently that it often leaves me nine pins, four pins, and four-nine splits. If I happen to miss right with it and hit the friction early, then it's weak tens all day. With the hybrid cover on the Fusion, it tames it down just enough to really open up the lane for me. I used it again this morning, and was able to get way left by the end of the sixth game, and still find enough skid to get it down the lane, and enough reaction to get it back from just about anywhere west of Texas.

Good point! I sometimes forget that I am a Super Hero Also........ ICEMAN!! My combinations are posted below!!

MICHAEL
02-23-2014, 02:42 PM
"One mans elixir, is another's poison! Finding the ONE that fits YOUR STYLE is the secret to bowling that GREAT GAME, or Series!! I agree Rob!

The right ball for the right style of bowing results in BINGO!!! MAGIC MOMENTS!!

Vince805
02-23-2014, 08:03 PM
It's a low RG 2.49 symmetrical hybrid 1500 polished ball.

You can sand the surface to get earlier friction.

If what you describe as heavy oil is still a THS, then there will still be dry area on the outside.

For some, heavy oil is really just longer oil pattern.

The 2.49 RG allows the ball to go from skid to roll in a short period of time.

If you have a flat heavy oil pattern, the Marvel-S would probably have been a better choice.

The RG value is almost the same, the ball is still symmetrical, and the cover is all solid.

Out of the box it's 3000 dull, but you can easily change down to 500, 1000 or 1500.

It just a heavy oil pattern. how many feet im not sure. but yes its a THS. I just know that they went from a med-heavy to heavy oil and every week its different. I think they even change the feet every week. Some weeks ill have a amazing night!!! because the ball hook at the point i like it too and used to expect....Now other nights i can play that same line and it skids down the lane and never makes the turn. Im forced to play a much straighter line and use the dry out side boards more then im used to.

Vince805
02-23-2014, 08:07 PM
I really like my byte (pearl) ive never thrown anything like it and really like the reaction. so if the iq tour fusion is gonna give me something similar with that big backend move to compliment my byte im sure ill love it....I'm just concerned now that oil may be a issue at the house i bowl at.

RobLV1
02-23-2014, 09:34 PM
By definition, a THS is not heavy oil. It's just heavy oil in the middle. You can still find friction on the outside. If you want to see a reaction that is similar to your Byte, then the Fusion is a good choice. It's strong off the friction, but earlier than the Byte. Remember, one ball doesn't hook more than another ball, only earlier (or later).

Mike White
02-23-2014, 09:42 PM
I really like my byte (pearl) ive never thrown anything like it and really like the reaction. so if the iq tour fusion is gonna give me something similar with that big backend move to compliment my byte im sure ill love it....I'm just concerned now that oil may be a issue at the house i bowl at.

The Byte and the IQ Tour Fusion are different beasts.

Byte is asymmetrical, Fusion is symmetrical.
Assuming 15 lbs:
Byte has an RG of 2.52, Fusion 2.49
Byte has a diff of 0.043, Fusion 0.029
Byte has an ERG pearl cover, Fusion an R2S Hybrid

The Fusion will probably see friction earlier due to being a Hybrid,
Flare less by having a 0.029 diff, less flare means less hook potential.
And will roll sooner due to the 2.49 RG.

Looks to me that the Fusion would be used before the Byte while the ball gets down the lane easier (more oil)
Then switch to the Byte when the shot drys up.. The Byte would go longer, flare more, allowing you to play same line, or deeper.

larry mc
02-24-2014, 12:12 AM
unless ita a real swamp out there , i have seen this ball perform very well on med-heavy oil , only way to truly know is to throw it yourself , but imho it should be workable

Vince805
03-04-2014, 06:16 PM
According to my pro shop guy when i get the flat reaction when my ball don't wanna hook using the same like i usually would that would strike its because they used a longer oil pattern, more in the middle. So when this happens i play a more down and in line instead of a out and in shot.
So now that i have my ball drilling is my next question. I usually get all my balls drilled strong. Would that be a good way to go with the fusion seeing i have a Byte also drilled strong?