PDA

View Full Version : What Kind Of Bowling Towel Do You Use?

circlecity
02-25-2014, 07:14 PM
What Kind Of Bowling Towel Do You Use to wipe your bowling ball?

zdawg
02-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Good question, I bought one online with my favorite NFL team logo/colors and it SUCKS. I determined today when practicing that it only spreads the oil evenly over the surface so that the entire ball is coated in a nice thin film - I'm thinking of buying something thicker and maybe cottonlike, I noticed several people in my league use thicker towels, mine is like less that an 1/8" thick and seems as though it would be better suited as a dishrag.

circlecity
02-25-2014, 07:18 PM
I read somewhere that the Microfiber towels do a better job of getting the oil off the ball. That is what I'm using now but it's hard to tell.

zdawg
02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Oh and I'm not sure what the material is, but it doesn't absorb oil whatsoever. I do use a microfiber sponge at the end of the night when I clean my ball off with Monster Tac

zdawg
02-25-2014, 07:40 PM
I read somewhere that the Microfiber towels do a better job of getting the oil off the ball. That is what I'm using now but it's hard to tell.

One thing I can say is the microfiber sponge I use at the end of the night is white and usually turns black after 1-2 uses, not sure if that's the material or the Monster Tac cleaner, probably a combination of both but at least I have visual proof that oil is being absorbed.

swingset
02-25-2014, 08:17 PM
I noticed the P-League girls used a microfiber pad instead of towels...and my wife had one she bought for cleaning furniture so I borrowed it and I use it now. Works better than a towel, kind of cradles the ball and you can just spin it and viola. Stays put on the return better than a towel that falls off or wadded up.

Actually, I have a few of these as they're cheap and readily available at Walmart for $3 or $4.

Looks like this...

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4300/d816d/products/131/images/780/aa4428908c5680de85693c69470a5fec__68200.1363797451 .1280.1280.jpg

Pauley
02-25-2014, 09:03 PM
I use auto detailing microfiber towels. Found packs of 10 on sale at Wal-Mart for $5 and bought the last 4 packs they had. Now I have plenty of towels to satisfy my OCD. I only use a towel for one night then wash them all when I run low, always fresh!

MICHAEL
02-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Every night after bowling I take the balls, I used to the work table where my spinner is located... I purchased a large package of (hand size cotton towels form Costco) I wash them without using any fabric softener, (which is very important)!

I then put my ball in the spinner with ONE of the cotton towels held firmly against the ball, turn on the spinner with my foot pedal, and spray the simple green/and alcohol up and down the ball at the same time I move the cotton towel up and down the ball. I then change the surface of the towel, but putting a different surface of the cotton hand towel facing the ball as I do the other 3 sides.

I do the 4 side cleaning of the ball. You should see the amount of oil that the cotton hand size towels remove from the balls!

And yes, a HUGE DIFFERANCE between Solid balls, (matte), and the pearl balls! I find it hard to believe that the micro towels could remove more then the cotton, when used in this manner! REMEMBER NOT to use fabric softener!!

Maybe that's why when I have used my home made bowling ball dehydrator, I don't get any oil out at all!
I personally think the microfiber towels are Highly Over rated, no matter what anyone says!! Cotton when washed and dried, is VERY absorbant...

I even did and experiement, coating an old bowling ball with olive oil! I then weighed the ball after wiping it with the micro fiber towel....

Then I wiped it with simply green/alcohol , and weighed it again, and found it to be significantly lighter, after using the cotton hand towel.

I will stick with Cotton!! Costco and Sam's sell a bundle of them for a pretty fair price!

YOU CAN'T beat a spinner for cleaning your balls after bowling!

Fiber towels seem to push the oil around, where as the cotton absorbs the oil!

Mike White
02-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Every night after bowling I take the balls, I used to the work table where my spinner is located... I purchased a large package of (hand size cotton towels form Costco) I wash them without using any fabric softener, (which is very important)!

I then put my ball in the spinner with ONE of the cotton towels held firmly against the ball, turn on the spinner with my foot pedal, and spray the simple green/and alcohol up and down the ball at the same time I move the cotton towel up and down the ball. I then change the surface of the towel, but putting a different surface of the cotton hand towel facing the ball as I do the other 3 sides.

I do the 4 side cleaning of the ball. You should see the amount of oil that the cotton hand size towels remove from the balls!

And yes, a HUGE DIFFERANCE between Solid balls, (matte), and the pearl balls! I find it hard to believe that the micro towels could remove more then the cotton, when used in this manner! REMEMBER NOT to use fabric softener!!

Maybe that's why when I have used my home made bowling ball dehydrator, I don't get any oil out at all!
I personally think the microfiber towels are Highly Over rated, no matter what anyone says!! Cotton when washed and dried, is VERY absorbant...

I even did and experiement, coating an old bowling ball with olive oil! I then weighed the ball after wiping it with the micro fiber towel....

Then I wiped it with simply green/alcohol , and weighed it again, and found it to be significantly lighter, after using the cotton hand towel.

I will stick with Cotton!! Costco and Sam's sell a bundle of them for a pretty fair price!

YOU CAN'T beat a spinner for cleaning your balls after bowling!

Fiber towels seem to push the oil around, where as the cotton absorbs the oil!

I use these in the shop, as well as while bowling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANZHG4U/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hampe
02-26-2014, 04:55 AM
I use the same kind as Mike W. There are different kinds of microfiber towels....but those are the kind that I find work the best. I bought one from the pro shop once, because I forgot mine at home after washing, and it was all smooth and weird. I was like "are you sure this is a microfiber towel?", and the shop owner said it was. I since saw "microfiber" towels at the store that were smooth like that, but the kind of grainy ones that Mike posted are my favorite.

dpatrickv
02-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Ive got 4 DV8 microfiber towels that I switch between.

Mudpuppy
02-26-2014, 11:02 AM
When I ordered my bag I got a free microfiber towel I use.

A better poll would be how often do you wash that rag, lol.

Aslan
02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
1) This question is lame.
2) I didn't know we could use "polls"? I thought that was only for Bowl1820 when he was trying to ban people!
3) I switch between cotton and microfiber. I'm WAY not good enough to notice my game suffering if I use "the wrong towel".

Didn't we have an arguement/discussion 2 months ago that you shouldn't even towel your ball between shots because some pro (I think Malott) doesn't (so, itso facto...we shouldn't wither)???

Mudpuppy
02-26-2014, 02:04 PM
2) I didn't know we could use "polls"? I thought that was only for Bowl1820 when he was trying to ban people!
3) I switch between cotton and microfiber. I'm WAY not good enough to notice my game suffering if I use "the wrong towel".

Didn't we have an arguement/discussion 2 months ago that you shouldn't even towel your ball between shots because some pro (I think Malott) doesn't (so, itso facto...we shouldn't wither)???

Shouldn't we do a poll on who is going to be victorious on March 1 and if Aslan should open a twitter live feed?

Sometimes I punish my ball and don't towel off in between frames when it doesn't cooperate. Until it redeems itself with a double it doesn't get wiped.

J Anderson
02-27-2014, 10:13 AM

I mainly wipe the ball off to keep from getting a permanent stain on my bowling shirts. I started doing it long before I owned a reactive ball.

mc_runner
02-27-2014, 10:29 AM
I have a microfiber towel that I use and still manage to get stains on my shirt every time I bowl. I find if I don't wipe down my ball it messes up my rhythm and I end up rushing or throwing a bad shot. I guess I still wipe it on my shirt sometimes too without realizing it. Whoops.

vdubtx
02-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I chose microfiber, as when I do wipe my ball that is what I use. I always wipe my spare ball, but very rarely do I on my strike ball anymore.

Jaescrub
02-27-2014, 03:11 PM
I have 3 or 4 of the DV8 Micros I use. I just got the wife a Pink Storm one its huge. Not a micro we will see how it works

sprocket
02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
No towel. Now I am using more low flaring stuff so I really don't want to be smearing oil into the dry rings that are right next to the oil rings. I clean the ball when I am done bowling.

Ptnomore
02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
I've learned to keep the microfiber towel, that I use during play, damp with a few spritzes of ball cleaner. I use it before each throw. Through out the night, hit the towel again a time or two with cleaner. Helps keep the rubber marks and dirt from building up as well as cleaning off the oil instead of moving it around the ball. It makes cleaning the ball at the end of the night alot easier too.

circlecity
02-28-2014, 01:12 PM
I've learned to keep the microfiber towel, that I use during play, damp with a few spritzes of ball cleaner. I use it before each throw. Through out the night, hit the towel again a time or two with cleaner. Helps keep the rubber marks and dirt from building up as well as cleaning off the oil instead of moving it around the ball. It makes cleaning the ball at the end of the night alot easier too.
The cleaner would have to be usbc approved in a sanctioned league correct? Or is that just for usbc tournaments?

Mike White
02-28-2014, 02:39 PM
The cleaner would have to be usbc approved in a sanctioned league correct? Or is that just for usbc tournaments?

That applies to league bowling as well.

Many of the cleaners have the words "USBC approved for anytime" so it is useable before each shot.

The bowl.com has a list of products that have been approved… most are anytime, but some are before/after the bowling session only.

Approved_cleaner_polish.pdf (http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/usbcongress/bowl/equipandspecs/pdfs/Approved_cleaner_polish.pdf)

Ptnomore
02-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Yea, but the list is pretty broad, especially with all of the "commercial cleaners" that are approved for "anytime" use. To raise an eyebrow, you pretty much have to be caught with a Scothbrite pad in your towel.

I have to use cleaner throughout the night. The lanes I bowl at are just nasty. I don't think the backdrops have been cleaned in years. The ball ALWAYS comes back with greasy, rubbery smudges all over it. A few times, I was caught without the cleaner, and the buildup looked like tar on the ball.. I begged a team mate to let me use his cleaner. no kidding, the blue towel was almost black when I was done. It was ridiculous on that night.

If the house you bowl at is older, and/or you typically notice smudges, or your hands turning black throughout the night, it will drastically affect your ability to get a consistant reaction if the ball is not kept clean.

dnhoffman
03-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I use a giant golf towel....