PDA

View Full Version : The Spare ball debate thread

Aslan
02-21-2014, 05:10 PM
To get over the 200 mark, just keep the game clean..meaning use a spare ball if you must to get all your spares. Then if you keep the game clean by picking up all your spares, then it won't take but a few strikes in a row to get you that over 200 mark. If you are missing spares due to trying to use a hook ball on all spares and that is causing you to miss a few spares, then please just use a spare ball.

Many people refuse to use a spare ball for picking up spares, but I saw Norm Duke lose a match due to trying to only use one ball for strikes and spares!!

I don't care how good you are, or how well you can flatten out your wrist...etc...Some conditions don't always allow you to effectively pick up all spares with a hook ball!!!

Get a few strikes, and keep the game clean by using spare ball to pick up those tough spares, and you got it made!!! :)

Norm Duke = Flawed

Having spare ball = good

Well, thats bad news for Norm Duke and great news for anyone that has $70 or access to a house ball.

Sorry Trex...it ain't that simple. I know lots of 200+ players that don't use spare balls. And relatively few that use spare balls for every type of leave. It also assumes that your strike ball behaves a certain way. A very low level reactive resin or hybrid or urethane ball will be have the same as a plastic ball...on nearly all house conditions...except exceptionally dry. A ball going straight is also highly dependent on the speed it's thrown. AND...you still have to be able to throw it straight!

People that benefit from "spare balls" either have strike balls with monster hooks or a release that creates massive revs (thumbless, 2-handed, cranker, etc...) If your strike ball is relatively striaght, the benefit of a spare ball becomes marginal.

And, lastly, since the OP is a NEW player....I would argue that he should save expansive arsenals and spare balls until further down the road, AFTER he's throwing a very consistent strike ball and has mastered lateral movement philosophies.

There's no shortcuts to spare shooting. It IS the key factor for most player's games (outside of the pro level where high scoring is more dependent on ability to strike), but there is no "trick" (such as just acquiring a plastic ball). It takes practice and consistency. Now, if he's consistently missing the 10-pin because he's rev dominant...well, then I agree...I think it a better strategy to buy a plastic/urethane/low level reactive to shoot at that 10-pin (or other far right side leaves) than to try and mess with your release by lofting, adding speed, and/or flattening the hand/wrist. But if he's got his left foot on board 24...he's got a LOT of room to move left and pick up a 10-pin even with the ball he's throwing.

Aslan
02-22-2014, 09:00 PM
So Asian, since you know everything, and tried to tell me that a spare ball is not important, look at the score above.

Looks to me like if the guy had a good spare ball, and would got those couple spares, then the 200 game would have been achieved!!

You MUST be a pro if you can see 2 multi-pin spares and a split and know without a doubt that a plastic spare ball would have helped him pick them up!!! My most common three pin leave is the 1-2-4. I would NEVER use a plastic spare ball (or any spare ball) on a left side leave as a right hander. Most right handed pros wouldn't either. Now, my most common two pin leave is the 6-10 and I DO tend to use a "back-up/alternate" low level reactive ball to pick that leave up. But the point is, you don't know what 3 pins he left so if you just use a plastic spare ball for ALL spare leaves irregardless of their position…that is rather rare….and in my opinion detrimental to a bowler's game at any level.

And I am not talking about a stupid house ball.
Why? Plastic is plastic. It's the material (primarily) that makes it go straighter…which is the reason you claim it's advantageous as a "spare ball". Plastic is plastic.

And Asian, by the way, if you think you can make a living with one bowling ball on the PBA, then come on and join me as I bring my entire arsenal that is set up for any condition I may come across!! yeah come on and join me please :cool:

1) I'm not asian; it's an "L".
2) Not many people make a living bowling in the PBA.
3) I didn't realize YOU made a living bowling in the PBA…please let us know the royalty to which we are speaking. So far, we know it's not Norm Duke…but it could be just about anyone else.
4) I'm less impressed by a PBA pro that needs an "arsenal" to win. I'm even less impressed watching beginners like the OP that get convinced they NEED an arsenal to improve their game on a THS in one center.
5) If you are a PBA bowler, I'd gladly accept your invite to bowl against you. Does you inviting me mean I can enter the next invitational? Can I get special exemption status or something? But remember sir…I have nothing to lose. I don't think most PBA bowlers want guys like me showing up. In the most rare of chances that I actually "win"…there's gonna be a lot of pros and sponsors wearing a booty buttface.

Mike White
02-23-2014, 12:54 AM
You MUST be a pro if you can see 2 multi-pin spares and a split and know without a doubt that a plastic spare ball would have helped him pick them up!!!"

Oh Aslan, think logical. You are reading more into what he said, than was actually said.

Looks to me like if the guy had a good spare ball, and would got those couple spares, then the 200 game would have been achieved!!

This is a logically correct statement.

However it is also logically correct to say this:

"Looks to me like if the guy didn't have a good spare ball, and would got those couple spares, then the 200 game would have been achieved!!"

So logically what he said was:

"Looks to me like if the guy had got those couple spares, then the 200 game would have been achieved!!"

And your response should be…. well yeah, duh.

Aslan
02-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Oh Aslan, think logical. You are reading more into what he said, than was actually said.

I agree Mike. I'm just making the point that the LEAVE determines in most cases how you would adjust to pick it up. I DO use an "alternative ball" to pick up single 10s or 6-10s on heavy oil or synthetic lane conditions. I'm not a big beleiver in a "spare ball" but as a typical RH player, it can add a degree of difficulty to try and get a ball to hook into those leaves. It's not impossible. It's actually quite easy for a high level bowler. But why make it harder than it already is? So I "understand" the concept.

But how many people would use a plastic spare ball to pick up a 1-2-4?? Or a 2-4-5? Or even a 4-7?? As a RIGHT hander? Why not just move right 4-6 boards...hit the same damn target...???

Okay...a split...maybe you need to come in at a different angle...sure. Or even a weird single 8-pin or single 9-pin...where you're worried about increasing your speed or loft and wanna just go with a back-up/alternate ball. I get that. But the real NEED for a plastic/spare/back-up ball is for a far right leave (for righties) and a far left leave (for lefties). And while MOST people on this site know this...I've seen MORE than a few beginning level bowlers that get advice like what Trex was saying...and they get it in their head that you ALWAYS throw a spare ball at spares. ALWAYS. And when I see a newb (righty) leave a 1-2...and they pull out a plastic ball....it takes all my strength and fortitude not to just run up and say "WHHHHHYYY!!??? For the love of God and all things holy...WHHHHYY are switching balls to hit a 1-2!!!!?" And they're likely response? "Cuz it's a spare. And this guy on the internet said you always use a spare ball...it makes you a better bowler."

martinezsam2495
02-24-2014, 03:17 PM
@Asian Spare balls are important and crucial during games. When playing sport patterns or Dry shots, my Strike & spare ball, (I have a spare ball haven't gotten it drilled) missed target by 1 board. Due to the ball reacting with a very small hook. A house ball and spare ball are not the same thing. I don't care how experienced you are, if you are not bowling 300's on average, then you shouldn't be saying that using your strike ball as your spare ball is the best way. Maybe you don't have as much experience as you say, and I smell another Bill coming.

tccstudent
02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
@Asian Spare balls are important and crucial during games. When playing sport patterns or Dry shots, my Strike & spare ball, (I have a spare ball haven't gotten it drilled) missed target by 1 board. Due to the ball reacting with a very small hook. A house ball and spare ball are not the same thing. I don't care how experienced you are, if you are not bowling 300's on average, then you shouldn't be saying that using your strike ball as your spare ball is the best way. Maybe you don't have as much experience as you say, and I smell another Bill coming.

Whats the difference in ASIAN spare balls and regular spare balls do I need to get an asian spare ball

Aslan
02-24-2014, 07:24 PM
@Asian Spare balls are important and crucial during games. When playing sport patterns or Dry shots, my Strike & spare ball, (I have a spare ball haven't gotten it drilled) missed target by 1 board. Due to the ball reacting with a very small hook.
What? So your your strike AND spare ball both miss by one board?? But the spare ball isn't drilled yet?? That makes no sense.

A house ball and spare ball are not the same thing.
Other than one being owned by the house...they are both made of plastic. Neither have cores that will make them hook. Neither hook much even when revs are applied (although they CAN). So how are they different??

I don't care how experienced you are,
I'd point out that I'm more than twice your age (experienced) but that will just encourage Hammer and Iceman to point out that their opinions should count even more since they are twice MY age.

if you are not bowling 300's on average, then you shouldn't be saying that using your strike ball as your spare ball is the best way. Maybe you don't have as much experience as you say, and I smell another Bill coming.
Wow. Thats a lot of nothin.

Actually, you and I have very similar averages....assuming your's is sanctioned...so either we're BOTH entitled to our opinions...or NEITHER of us is...based on averages anyways.

But the good news is...unlike Bill...I'm very, very real. And...added bonus...we live like right next store to each other in Southern California. So you and that magic spare ball might have a chance to challenge me and my non-spare ball using foolishness...a sort of "money where your mouth is" kinda event. I'm booked this Saturday though...gotta put the smack down on a couple fellas from Riverside and San Diego...but maybe in April??

bowl1820
02-24-2014, 08:32 PM
A house ball and spare ball are not the same thing.

Other than one being owned by the house...they are both made of plastic. Neither have cores that will make them hook. Neither hook much even when revs are applied (although they CAN). So how are they different??

While "House" balls and "Spare" balls are basically the same at the base level, there are some differences.

The majority of house balls are conventional grips and drilled with generic spans and finger sizes. While a personal spare ball will most likely be a fingertip and will be fitted using the bowlers grip spec's, which helps maintain consistency in shot making.

Switching back and forth between conventional & fingertip grips can become problematic. One reason is you can start thinking about the different way the ball comes off the hand, with a personal spare ball with the same grip, with the same feeling, you'll will have a more natural release without thinking about it.

House balls also experience lots of wear (nicks, gouges, flat spots etc.), all of which could affect roll. While a personal spare ball has wear also, it will at least see some maintenance. Which helps maintain consistency also.

Also you are not guaranteed you'll be able to use same house ball week to week and if you go to another house you'll have to be finding another one. With a personal spare ball you'll have a ball that fits good and is there for you to use.

There are also some minor differences in brand of plastic balls mainly in cover hardness, some bowlers look for plastics with the highest hardness ratings to reduce the possibility of hooking to the minimum. There are some that also have different cores, not just the standard pancake weight block.

and by the way there are urethane house balls.

Consistency is what bowling is all about so you want your equipment to be consistent as well.

While using a house ball in a pinch is okay, having your own "Spare" ball is best.

Aslan
02-25-2014, 03:11 AM
I realize all that Bowl1820. I was just pointing out to our young friend that they are essentially the same ball. I've heard the same comparison of plastic vs. urethane. Both are notorious for going straight.

I agree about the grip. I used to use a conventional grip ball drilled for another person's span as a "splits ball". It was urethane and at the end of the day, as straight as any plastic ball a person could buy. But yes, switching grips was very akward. I don't seem very affected by changing weights, but going from fingertip to conventional grip was very weird.

mc_runner
02-25-2014, 09:17 AM
On a side note, as a rightie good luck getting a 4 or 7 pin on a sport or tournament pattern, by hooking your strike ball. It's great for house shots (heck, I do it in my THS leagues cause it's more consistent for me right now) but it's kind of fun seeing what happens when people try to hook it over.

Hampe
02-25-2014, 10:59 AM
It doesn't even have to be a sport pattern....just a new center with a different THS pattern than you're used to. Hell....a lot of bowlers here try and hook into the 7 at their own house and their ball just skids right through all that mid-lane oil and misses to the right. If you're gonna play tournaments in different centers on different patterns, you NEED a spare ball....no doubt about it. There are very, VERY few exceptions (and those exceptions have usually been bowling for 20-30 years).

This weekend I was playing on a pattern I'm not used to....I missed the 2-8 twice with my strike ball....the 3rd time I had the 2-8 I nailed it with my spare ball, and was kicking myself that I didn't trust myself to use it for the first 2 times. Spare ball for the win....no calculating, no planning, no worrying.....just hit your spot and reap the rewards.

Aslan
02-25-2014, 04:06 PM
1) The % of people that play multiple houses and tournaments is about 3.5%. And the OP is not one of them.

It's like a guy taking his car in for service and asking about whether he should take the passenger seat out of his car, switch to slick tires, and add a roll cage...because thats how all the Nascar guys are set up. It's not that it's a "bad idea"...it's just unnecessary for a daily commute. Not saying it won't come in handy if he finds himself in a drag race or rollover crash...but really?? You're giving advice to a new player, making the case that a spare ball is essential, and using the arguement that it's very advantageous on different houses and sport patterns...which really only applies to advanced bowlers.

2) If throwing a plastic ball was SO much of an advantage....because it practically follows a track to whereever you're aiming...why not throw it as a strike ball? I mean, if you're THAT precise...you should be able to easily hit the ideal spot in the pocket.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't advantageous if you're using "big hook" equipment to have a ball that goes straighter (whether low level reactive, hybrid, urethane, or plastic). And obviously if you're a tournament level player or playing on pro level patterns...the game may require it. And I agree that it's better to have that "lesser ball" than to mess with your release and mechanics. But if on a standard THS (irregardless of center), you can't throw a Tropical Breeze or Strike King or Scout and hit your target...that seems "odd". Maybe not. If you're a high rev player...and there's just too much movement with reactive resin coverstocks...then I stand corrected. But low level reactive balls move so very, very little and for most (non-split) leaves you have such a wide margin of error...I don't see how someone can say it's a "necessity" to throw a plastic ball on a THS. I've seen just as many people missing after switching to the plastic ball as I do miss because there ball hooks to much...actually I'd say it's 3-1 or 4-1.

My spare shooting isn't great....but that has NOTHING to do with my ball. I actually threw a Columbia WD as by "spare ball" for quitre some time and was even WORSE at picking up spares. The only time I miss spares "because of my refusal to use a plastic ball" is "sometimes" on a 6-10 leave I'll chop or "sometimes" on a 1-2-4 or 1-3-6 I'll chop. But compared to how many single 10s I leave and catch a "break" because the ball hooks a little bit into the 10 rather than hitting the gutter in front of the 10...plastic doesn't make sense for me. Doesn't mean there aren't people that benefit from it...just not for me. And I have no problem with people going that route...it just makes me a little skeptical when people phrase the debate that you NEED a plastic spare ball or when people say "the FIRST THING you need is to get you a plastic spare ball"...I think those statements are misleading to newer/non-tournament players. Learning how your ball reacts and how to make lateral movements or even changes to your swing/approach/etc... in order to pick certain leaves up...I personally think is far more important for a newer player than building arsenals and adding a plastic ball...IMO.

dpatrickv
02-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Aslan has some obsession with trying to talk everyone out of a spare ball. It takes awhile to get used to and ignore, but eventually you will.

MICHAEL
02-25-2014, 05:09 PM
You would think Aslan could find something better to do with his:::::: ARE YOUR READY::: Spare time!! LMAO!!!!

Mike White
02-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Aslan has some obsession with trying to talk everyone out of a spare ball. It takes awhile to get used to and ignore, but eventually you will.

As I've said before, he has a lot of opinion, but not much experience to back it up.

Mudpuppy
02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
You would think Aslan could find something better to do with his:::::: ARE YOUR READY::: Spare time!! LMAO!!!!

lol, nice one Iceman. How about practicing spares?

classygranny
02-26-2014, 09:02 PM
lol, nice one Iceman. How about practicing spares?

Why bother if you are using a strike ball? Lane conditions will make every spare shot different, so wouldn't this be a waste of time if you aren't going straight with a spare ball?

vdubtx
02-27-2014, 01:07 AM
1) The % of people that play multiple houses and tournaments is about 3.5%. And the OP is not one of them.

It's like a guy taking his car in for service and asking about whether he should take the passenger seat out of his car, switch to slick tires, and add a roll cage...because thats how all the Nascar guys are set up. It's not that it's a "bad idea"...it's just unnecessary for a daily commute. Not saying it won't come in handy if he finds himself in a drag race or rollover crash...but really?? You're giving advice to a new player, making the case that a spare ball is essential, and using the arguement that it's very advantageous on different houses and sport patterns...which really only applies to advanced bowlers.

2) If throwing a plastic ball was SO much of an advantage....because it practically follows a track to whereever you're aiming...why not throw it as a strike ball? I mean, if you're THAT precise...you should be able to easily hit the ideal spot in the pocket.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't advantageous if you're using "big hook" equipment to have a ball that goes straighter (whether low level reactive, hybrid, urethane, or plastic). And obviously if you're a tournament level player or playing on pro level patterns...the game may require it. And I agree that it's better to have that "lesser ball" than to mess with your release and mechanics. But if on a standard THS (irregardless of center), you can't throw a Tropical Breeze or Strike King or Scout and hit your target...that seems "odd". Maybe not. If you're a high rev player...and there's just too much movement with reactive resin coverstocks...then I stand corrected. But low level reactive balls move so very, very little and for most (non-split) leaves you have such a wide margin of error...I don't see how someone can say it's a "necessity" to throw a plastic ball on a THS. I've seen just as many people missing after switching to the plastic ball as I do miss because there ball hooks to much...actually I'd say it's 3-1 or 4-1.

My spare shooting isn't great....but that has NOTHING to do with my ball. I actually threw a Columbia WD as by "spare ball" for quitre some time and was even WORSE at picking up spares. The only time I miss spares "because of my refusal to use a plastic ball" is "sometimes" on a 6-10 leave I'll chop or "sometimes" on a 1-2-4 or 1-3-6 I'll chop. But compared to how many single 10s I leave and catch a "break" because the ball hooks a little bit into the 10 rather than hitting the gutter in front of the 10...plastic doesn't make sense for me. Doesn't mean there aren't people that benefit from it...just not for me. And I have no problem with people going that route...it just makes me a little skeptical when people phrase the debate that you NEED a plastic spare ball or when people say "the FIRST THING you need is to get you a plastic spare ball"...I think those statements are misleading to newer/non-tournament players. Learning how your ball reacts and how to make lateral movements or even changes to your swing/approach/etc... in order to pick certain leaves up...I personally think is far more important for a newer player than building arsenals and adding a plastic ball...IMO.
Where in the world do you come up with this isht? 3.5% of bowlers play multiple houses and tournaments? Can you say that 80% of statistics are made up?

Aslan, seriously, stop with the BS posts trying to sound like you know what the hell you are talking about. To put it simply, you don't. Sorry, 1000 word posts about bowling do not make you an expert that you are trying to come across as.

Hampe
02-27-2014, 03:41 AM
Lol.....what are you guys even talking about....Aslan has been bowling for SIX MONTHS. He's practically a pro :P

J Anderson
02-27-2014, 11:07 AM
OK. AS FAR AS THE CONFRONTATION GOING BACK AND FORTH OVER A SPARE BALL. PLEASE DROP THE TOPIC. ALMOST EVERY POST YOU HAVE MADE HAS BEEN ABOUT A SPARE BALL. I do have a spare ball. I do use my spare ball. Please take it to PMs if you guys want to keep discussing spare balls. Please no more. As far as multiple houses. I do play in more than one house. I have two different bowling alleys where I live. I bowl one more than the other because I am a member at one but still go the other one to play on completely different lanes.

The original poster has spoken:Please take it to PMs if you guys want to keep discussing spare balls.

Aslan so far has had enough sense to shut up and let the spare ball drop.

bowl1820
02-27-2014, 11:40 AM
To get TotallyDefiant's post back on "his" topic, I've created this spare ball debate thread where you can discuss it all you want.

Vince805
02-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Im no professional at all by any means i have a 215 average lol but i have never used a spare ball in my life and i have been bowling for YEARS! I have 2 first balls, no spare ball. i can pick them all up with my fist ball by changing my wrist position and release. and i have a pretty decent hooking first ball. so dont think im a straight line player lol.
just my unrelated 2 cents ;-)

Aslan
02-27-2014, 03:17 PM
To get TotallyDefiant's post back on "his" topic, I've created this spare ball debate thread where you can discuss it all you want.

Well, I don't really agree with it being "Aslan's Spare Ball Debate thread" when it was Trex's absurd comment that started the whole thing.

I've tried to not participate in anymore spare ball talk...I actually have come around a bit and agree that under certain circumstances it is very advantageous. I only responded most recently because Trex not only stated it in a way where it was "absolutely essential" but was giving that advice to a NEW player and framing it as "the most important thing he could do to improve his game". I realize everyone like to "get me going"; but I gotta think even experienced bowling teachers would agree that a NEW bowler has many, many important things to work on that supercede expanding his/her arsenal and getting a plastic spare ball.

But, whatever. Buy a spare ball. Buy 12 spare balls. Good luck. Like I said about arsenals, it's pretty silly to see beginner bowlers switching from ball to ball yet absolutely unable to tell you WHY. And it's 6x as silly to see a right handed player switch to a "spare ball" to pick up a left side leave. There's no point to it. Move over 3-6-9 or 4-8-12....hit the same s***id (silly) target and oh look...you picked it up. No need to switch balls...or change your approach or do anything at all different other than where you start moving.

But AGAIN....NEW PLAYERS. Not Pete Weber. Not vdub. Not Rob M. I'm sure those guys shooting 99% at single pin spares...have a system that works near flawlessly and it involves a spare ball because their other balls move too much and the conditions they ball on are about 40x more difficult than your THS.

I'm starting to really believe that we need to segregate bowling forums. Beginners and those like me with opinions not backed up by titles...we should either not be able to post or just be able to post in one section. Then, as we get better averages, and more titles...we get to have an opinion and participate in higher level discussions. And the higher level folks that contribute to the new bowlers...are doing so with it CLEAR that they are giving "beginner advice"....no modern release, ball specs, arsenals, spare balls, sport shots, etc... Save that for your high level forums so the newbs don't get confused.

bowl1820
02-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Well, I don't really agree with it being "Aslan's Spare Ball Debate thread" when it was Trex's absurd comment that started the whole thing.

I had gave the thread the title I did because you are the most vocal in the discussions about spare balls. Since you don't like it there you go I changed the title.

I'm starting to really believe that we need to segregate bowling forums. Beginners and those like me with opinions not backed up by titles...we should either not be able to post or just be able to post in one section. Then, as we get better averages, and more titles...we get to have an opinion and participate in higher level discussions. And the higher level folks that contribute to the new bowlers...are doing so with it CLEAR that they are giving "beginner advice"....no modern release, ball specs, arsenals, spare balls, sport shots, etc... Save that for your high level forums so the newbs don't get confused.

As for you having a opinion and being able to participate in higher level discussions. Your perfectly free to do so!

Separating all this spare ball talk from the other thread in fact increases yours and others ability to express opinions on this subject.

Without taking away from another users post on a different subject, who felt it was taking to much away from their subject or being lost in another thread with a different subject.

Perrin
02-27-2014, 04:29 PM
The following is my own opinion and not to be taken any other way :)

I would always encourage new or inexperienced bowlers (and I include people who have bowled for years with house balls and are now getting their own)
to start with an entry level ball (Low end reactive or mid-level urethane) drilled finger tip
Once you are throwing that ball comfortably and consisitently IF you have trouble with right side spares then you should then pick-up a spare ball.

some people will have problems with right side stuff and some won't.

if you are trying to raise your average and pick up 10 pins less than 9 out of 10 using a flattened wrist I encourage a spare ball.

The whole thing with spareball is it makes the right side spares easier to pick up. just like choosing to throw cross lane gives you more room for error.

I for years refused to get/us a spare ball. For Me using a spare ball increased my conversion % from ~70% to ~90%

do I still strugle sometimes? heck yeah. there is even on place I bowl that even with plastic I still have to flatten my wrist and kill the hook.... but with my strike ball I would litterlly have to thow a backup to get to the 10 so..... again not an answer to everything but makes it easier.

MICHAEL
02-27-2014, 04:49 PM
For some, if not all spares. What does that tell you Aslan??

I don't use plastic, but use a weak drilling on a Sling Shot ball. The secret I have found that works for me is when throwing at the ten pin, or any pick up that I don't want the snap at the end, (( THROW WITH YOUR PALM UP))!

It gives forward revolutions, and takes the hook out,,, esp with some speed!

I had a older guy come up to me the other day, and asked me how to pick up the 10 pin,,, I give him the info above.

He then came back after league that night and THANKED ME FOR THE ADVISE,,, he said it worked great!

I stand far right even with gutter, then aim the center arrow! If I hit my mark, I always pick up the 10 pin!

tccstudent
02-27-2014, 05:10 PM
I was told a long time ago when throwing for a 10 pin just point your thumb towards the 10. I works pretty well. I have broken down and went to plastic and I just aim at the same spot as I do with my strike ball and been pretty consistent at that diabolical pin.

Aslan
02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
I had gave the thread the title I did because you are the most vocal in the discussions about spare balls. Since you don't like it there you go I changed the title.
You're a gentleman and a scholar. And I have no problem with seperating this discussion from that other guy's thread. I kinda felt bad that it got hijacked. And of course, I get blamed for hijacking it...even though, again, I didn't start the divergent topic and sure as "heck" wasn't arguing with myself...but whatever. I put the guy on my ignore list (first member!). It's a pet peeve of mine when a new user comes on asking for help then immediately goes all KGB on people for posting about things he doesn't like in HIS thread. Welcome to the internet son.

As for you having a opinion and being able to participate in higher level discussions. Your perfectly free to do so!
I just keep getting opinions from various members that some people's opinions are more valuable and more worthy of discussion than other opinions. If thats the case....maybe set it up so us lower average bowlers can't pollute the site with erroneous nonsense?? Just an idea.

The following is my own opinion and not to be taken any other way :)
Good luck with THAT!

Once you are throwing that ball comfortably and consisitently IF you have trouble with right side spares then you should then pick-up a spare ball.

some people will have problems with right side stuff and some won't.
Wow. The BEST advice given on the site in over a month. Thank you for stating it in such a non-Aslanish way that hopefully will limit the backlash.

For some, if not all spares. What does that tell you Aslan??
That if you're a pro, with pro equipment, on pro patterns...it might be a pretty good thing to consider. Since nobody on this site is ALL of those things...other than a few guys who tried sport patterns and the guys that have pro level equipment...that stat is on par with 98% of people liking scented bowling balls.

I don't use plastic, but use a weak drilling on a Sling Shot ball. Oh, then you're on my side, the evil side, and according to Trex the NUMBER 1 (with a bullet) way of advancing your game Iceman is to ditch that silly Slingshot and get a nice plastic ball. I've heard 99% of pros use plastic; 0% use Slingshots...what does THAT tell ya!? :cool:

The secret I have found that works for me is when throwing at the ten pin, or any pick up that I don't want the snap at the end, (( THROW WITH YOUR PALM UP))!

It gives forward revolutions, and takes the hook out,,, esp with some speed!

I actually would prefer the plastic ball over changing releases. I also do that on occasion. I'd rather flatten the wrist than use a house ball...but I think one of the reasons behind NOT using a "spare ball" is you want to stay with the same ball, weight, grip, everything....rather than introduce a variable. But if I MUST introduce a variable...I'd agree with the pro-plastic crowd that a spare ball is preferable to changing your approach/release.

On the flip side, I prefer "slight" changes to release/swing over an "arsenal" because I feel like, especially for the non-pro/high level guys, there's a great deal that can be learned from learning how to make those small changes/adjustments. Everyone thinks that the pros ONLY switch balls when things start going slightly off. But if you watch closely (or luck out and they actually tell you since it's harder to see), you'll notice guys lofting a little more, slightly altering their backswing, using forward/backward movement, sometimes even changing how many steps they take. The casual bowler doesn't even see it. And if you grow up in the "arsenal era", sometimes you have people that never learn to make those adjustments and are completely befuddled when they are "between balls".

And I think we get lost in this discussion and people think that a "spare ball" is 99%. In the leagues I've played in and the tournament I was in..I was surprised that probably less than half threw plastic spare balls. I honestly thought I was the exception to the rule...and I've found I'm actually one of many. But, to each their own. I'm sure Mike and zDawg will have their plastic spare balls in full effect come Saturday.

sprocket
02-27-2014, 07:06 PM
I am over 95% at picking up the ten pin. I'll bet I am the best spare shooter on my league. I have converted the ten pin more than 50 times in a row on several occasions. I do not use a spare ball. If the lanes were FLYING I might use plastic for spares BUT I would also being using plastic for a strike ball so it's a moot point.

Jeral999ok
02-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Ok. I'm a late comer to this "Party" :cool:

But, to each there own, that is WHY I love this sport, I use a plastic ball (NOW) for my 10 pin shot, I use to use a urethane ball with a little bite at the end to hold the line, they both do the job for me.

I know I CAN NOT lay out my hand and throw my newer equipment straight, I've tried, so plastic works great for me as I just release my normal release but see the ball head for pin straight on, but it may not be for you, awesome, you make your shot work and I make my shot work. cheers :)

I know I want to become a HS Bowling Coach and help others and I figure I have to work with their strong suites, not their weaknesses, I have gotten my wife bowling pretty good (for only bowling for 2.5 years) but she does her 7 pin totally different, she is a righty but throws a backup ball. I am far far from any "PRO" or tournament winner player, but we all like to think we know more than we do, it's in all of us, LOL, so I listen and read these forums and love the debates.

Jerry

Mike White
02-27-2014, 11:53 PM
I agree Mike. I'm just making the point that the LEAVE determines in most cases how you would adjust to pick it up. I DO use an "alternative ball" to pick up single 10s or 6-10s on heavy oil or synthetic lane conditions. I'm not a big beleiver in a "spare ball" but as a typical RH player, it can add a degree of difficulty to try and get a ball to hook into those leaves. It's not impossible. It's actually quite easy for a high level bowler. But why make it harder than it already is? So I "understand" the concept.

But how many people would use a plastic spare ball to pick up a 1-2-4?? Or a 2-4-5? Or even a 4-7?? As a RIGHT hander? Why not just move right 4-6 boards...hit the same damn target...???

Okay...a split...maybe you need to come in at a different angle...sure. Or even a weird single 8-pin or single 9-pin...where you're worried about increasing your speed or loft and wanna just go with a back-up/alternate ball. I get that. But the real NEED for a plastic/spare/back-up ball is for a far right leave (for righties) and a far left leave (for lefties). And while MOST people on this site know this...I've seen MORE than a few beginning level bowlers that get advice like what Trex was saying...and they get it in their head that you ALWAYS throw a spare ball at spares. ALWAYS. And when I see a newb (righty) leave a 1-2...and they pull out a plastic ball....it takes all my strength and fortitude not to just run up and say "WHHHHHYYY!!??? For the love of God and all things holy...WHHHHYY are switching balls to hit a 1-2!!!!?" And they're likely response? "Cuz it's a spare. And this guy on the internet said you always use a spare ball...it makes you a better bowler."

I may not use a plastic ball for the 1-2-4, but I will use a plastic ball for the 2-4-5, and 4-7.

Blacksox1
02-28-2014, 12:11 AM
Everyone needs a spare ball that goes straight or plastic to improve their average. If only for 10 pins, or 7's if left handed.

Aslan
02-28-2014, 02:47 PM
I think everyone does things a little differently Iceman and I use a weak resin ball and enjoy a little "bite" at the end to hook into the 10-pin. Many players use plastic balls on certain side leaves but not the other. Many players never use a spare ball and just use lateral movement. I am NOT leading a CHARGE against the use of it. I'm simply disagreeing with the folks that state things like it being "essential" or "the biggest way to improve a new bowler" or "uniformally accepted". It's not.

It's a tactic. In some ways I see it as "almost essential"...if you're throwing a big hook and/or using very strong equipment. I think a right hander hitting that 10-pin with a strike ball that is assymetrical with a high differential...yeah, gonna be tough to hit that 10-pin without changing your release (which I'm not a fan of). BUT...if a new bowlers is throwing a weaker resin ball and is a stroker...to throw a plastic spare ball as a RULE...no matter where the leave is...just because "all the pros do it" is kinda silly to me.

Like I said, my only complaint about new bowlers is a LOT of them have bought into plastic spare balls and "arsenals"...mostly because it's "cool" and they see the pros doing it...yet they don't understand WHY...and they don't understand lateral movement or other techniques. Thats when you (or at least I) see those bowlers switching from one ball to another almost randomly...because they have no clue what their balls are designed to do. And very little understanding on how they can make slight changes to approach/release to enhance their game. I just think thats more of a "negative" than a "positive".

And even though Rob M. and I have disagreed about modern techniques, etc... I think anyone that claims to be a fan/supporter of Rob's work...you really need to also read his lengthy article on "Knowing Your Arsenal" where he echoes many of the things I've said about how arsenals are far less effective when the bowler doesn't have a good understanding of ball specifications. And I take it one step further with the spare ball discussion by saying that a spare ball is far more advantageous in the hands of a bowler that knows how to make other minor changes (approach/release/swing/etc...) than it is in the hands of a new bowler who has it stuck in their head that you always throw a strike ball and then a spare ball no matter the situation.

vdubtx
02-28-2014, 03:05 PM
I think everyone does things a little differently Iceman and I use a weak resin ball and enjoy a little "bite" at the end to hook into the 10-pin. Many players use plastic balls on certain side leaves but not the other. Many players never use a spare ball and just use lateral movement. I am NOT leading a CHARGE against the use of it. I'm simply disagreeing with the folks that state things like it being "essential" or "the biggest way to improve a new bowler" or "uniformally accepted". It's not.

What is your conversion rate for a 10 pin with your resin ball? Just curious as I know what mine was prior to using plastic and what is now. For me there was a large variance on conversion rates. Picking up more 10 pins now has certainly helped my average grow to Blacksox1's point.

mc_runner
02-28-2014, 03:50 PM
I actually use an old entry level reactive for my 10 pins, and most single pins. Since getting PinPal I'm at 80% on 10s. Thing is that I flatten my wrist way out and just throw essentially straight at them, I don't hook towards it at all. I can throw it that way at the 4/7 as well but need more practice on a consistent starting spot and target to bowl straight at those well.

I've been meaning to get a plastic ball, since I feel that I would be more consistent and get my single pins up to 90%+ with the same release as my strike ball. That'd be enough to raise the average several pins too. I feel that changing my release like that doesn't do me any favors in my game and could lead to a strike or 2 more per series, too. Looking to pick it up for the summer league... all tweaks/adjustments get pushed to summer league to try :)

Aslan
02-28-2014, 04:01 PM
What is your conversion rate for a 10 pin with your resin ball? Just curious as I know what mine was prior to using plastic and what is now. For me there was a large variance on conversion rates. Picking up more 10 pins now has certainly helped my average grow to Blacksox1's point.

Hard to say because it's still too early on in the process. Like I said, a good bowler like you...if you make that change...you see an increase in picking up the 10-pin...BAMM....makes sense to use a spare ball. But if you're a beginner and you're picking the 10-pin up 35% of the time....then get a plastic spare ball and over the course of a year that raises to 65%...was it the ball....or the year of learning how to bowl??

I've only been using PinPal for 1 month...but here's a breakdown/comparison as best I can get you:

Using a spare ball (low level reactive) and a different strike ball:

I am 45% at spares.
I am 59% at single pin spares.
I am 33% at picking up a single 10-pin.

The single 10-pin represents 22% of my single pin leaves. The single 5-pin is my next highest leave, and I am 82% at picking up that pin...however, that is using my strike ball. On left side single pin leaves I am 50% or greater (2, 4, 7) however again, thats using my strike ball.

Using only ONE ball as both strike/and spare:
I am 52% at spares.
I am 72% at single pin spares.
I am 58% at picking up the single 10-pin.

Using just the one ball, I am over 65% on left side single pin leaves. And the single 10 is my worst on the right, but actually not my most frequent. When using just the one ball, I most frequently leave the single 6-pin and am 69% at picking it up.

A better illustration is a comparison of 4-7 leaves and 6-10 leaves where I am about even at picking them up (57% and 55% respectively) when using just the one ball.

So, my conclusion is, two-fold:
1) I am equally BAD at shooting spares irregardless using a spare ball or not (45-52%).
2) I tend to do better at single pin spares (using the same ball) if I don't have to switch from a strike ball to a "spare ball" (59% vs. 72%). The difference is even more dratstic concering the single 10-pin (33% vs 58%).

But here's the ISSUE...remember what I said about beginning bowlers and how switching to a spare ball isn't as much of a help? Here's why:
1) In BOTH of those scenarios...the spare ball is the same...low level reactive.
2) In the times where I use TWO balls....the strike ball is 16lbs and the spare ball 15lbs. SOME would argue...that by using 2 different weight balls....THAT is more likely why I'm having less success (using the same ball) when switching. And I actually would tend to agree.

So, you can't use the "% increase in spare shooting" unless you eliminate other variables. And with low-level beginner bowlers...they are constantly varying their (my) game. Approach, stance, swing, release.....all these things are being changed constantly....AND...beginners tend to not be as good at shooting spares because they're "beginners". EXPERIENCE is what makes you a better spare shooter..not a "Vis-a-ball". Now...when you're the mega pro that is VDub...and you've kinda got you game consistent...then adding a spare ball as a variable...you can see how that increases/decreases your results (especially with something like Pinpal). But you MUST leave everything else constant. And beginners...lack "constant"...unfortunately. Because believe me...bowling is less fun when you're only picking up 45% of your spares...especially when your strike rate is sub-30%. But, on the bright side, a LOT of practice at shooting at spares!!

MICHAEL
02-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Hard to say because it's still too early on in the process. Like I said, a good bowler like you...if you make that change...you see an increase in picking up the 10-pin...BAMM....makes sense to use a spare ball. But if you're a beginner and you're picking the 10-pin up 35% of the time....then get a plastic spare ball and over the course of a year that raises to 65%...was it the ball....or the year of learning how to bowl??

I've only been using PinPal for 1 month...but here's a breakdown/comparison as best I can get you:

Using a spare ball (low level reactive) and a different strike ball:

I am 45% at spares.
I am 59% at single pin spares.
I am 33% at picking up a single 10-pin.

The single 10-pin represents 22% of my single pin leaves. The single 5-pin is my next highest leave, and I am 82% at picking up that pin...however, that is using my strike ball. On left side single pin leaves I am 50% or greater (2, 4, 7) however again, thats using my strike ball.

Using only ONE ball as both strike/and spare:
I am 52% at spares.
I am 72% at single pin spares.
I am 58% at picking up the single 10-pin.

Using just the one ball, I am over 65% on left side single pin leaves. And the single 10 is my worst on the right, but actually not my most frequent. When using just the one ball, I most frequently leave the single 6-pin and am 69% at picking it up.

A better illustration is a comparison of 4-7 leaves and 6-10 leaves where I am about even at picking them up (57% and 55% respectively) when using just the one ball.

So, my conclusion is, two-fold:
1) I am equally BAD at shooting spares irregardless using a spare ball or not (45-52%).
2) I tend to do better at single pin spares (using the same ball) if I don't have to switch from a strike ball to a "spare ball" (59% vs. 72%). The difference is even more dratstic concering the single 10-pin (33% vs 58%).

But here's the ISSUE...remember what I said about beginning bowlers and how switching to a spare ball isn't as much of a help? Here's why:
1) In BOTH of those scenarios...the spare ball is the same...low level reactive.
2) In the times where I use TWO balls....the strike ball is 16lbs and the spare ball 15lbs. SOME would argue...that by using 2 different weight balls....THAT is more likely why I'm having less success (using the same ball) when switching. And I actually would tend to agree.

So, you can't use the "% increase in spare shooting" unless you eliminate other variables. And with low-level beginner bowlers...they are constantly varying their (my) game. Approach, stance, swing, release.....all these things are being changed constantly....AND...beginners tend to not be as good at shooting spares because they're "beginners". EXPERIENCE is what makes you a better spare shooter..not a "Vis-a-ball". Now...when you're the mega pro that is VDub...and you've kinda got you game consistent...then adding a spare ball as a variable...you can see how that increases/decreases your results (especially with something like Pinpal). But you MUST leave everything else constant. And beginners...lack "constant"...unfortunately. Because believe me...bowling is less fun when you're only picking up 45% of your spares...especially when your strike rate is sub-30%. But, on the bright side, a LOT of practice at shooting at spares!!

Wow,,, And I thought War and Peace was wordy!!

If I was a guessing man, and I am a pretty good guesser!!! I swear that all those percentages you have above were pulled right out of your..... LOL LMAO
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/soldier-bending-man-big_zps68c17eb9.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/soldier-bending-man-big_zps68c17eb9.jpg.html)

Aslan
03-01-2014, 01:07 AM
Wow,,, And I thought War and Peace was wordy!!

Don't worry Ice. I have a coloring book version for you and Mud.

vdubtx
03-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Don't worry Ice. I have a coloring book version for you and Mud.

If you spent as much time working on your spare game as you do posting war and peace every day, you might be a 167 average bowler some day soon. :cool: :p:p:p

dnhoffman
03-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Good grief this again?

Let's settle it.

Are you Norm Duke?

If you answered no, a spare ball can improve your scores.

The end.

Mike White
03-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Ok maybe for you a plastic ball wouldn't help because your problem isn't the ball over reacting, but a lack of accuracy with any ball.

For many, the "little" hook at the end gives them almost no room for error on 10 pins, so for them a plastic ball increases the room for error by reducing that "little" hook at the end.

noeymc
03-01-2014, 03:57 PM
plastic ball is a must but i do sport shots in the summer and to say duke is flawed is crazy that man is a master of the sport

J Anderson
03-01-2014, 04:01 PM
plastic ball is a must but i do sport shots in the summer and to say duke is flawed is crazy that man is a master of the sport

Do not rise to the bait Noeymc. Aslan just puts things like that to see if we're paying attention.

CaptainXeroid
03-02-2014, 04:34 PM
I have a White Dot for solid 10's, a Yellow Dot for half 10's, and I was thinking about getting a Blue Dot for those times the 6 bumps the 10 close to the gutter but doesn't quite knock it over. Good plan...or should I look for a Black Knight?:cool:

I wonder if any one has done serious research on what percentage of bowlers switch balls for spares in the pros versus amateur league bowlers. I would bet that it's pretty even because some people feel comfortable throwing their strike ball. I just didn't realize it could spark such a passionate debate.

larry mc
03-02-2014, 09:14 PM
i use my freeze solid for spare ball , slides enough to reach the ten and has enough when i miss right to hold the edge and not go into the gutter , any thing i leave on the left side i use my strike ball

bdtrob300
03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
I use a 12lb. Victory Road for spares. But I'm no Norm Duke.

My Pro Shop guy gives me heck for using a lighter ball for spares all the time, says I can't be consistent, yada yada. I honestly dont think it makes a difference. Maybe on a burnt shot, getting it to slide enough can be a challenge, but when its like that I just "Briefcase" it.

If your accurate and your not pawing at the ball on your release, I see no reason why you need a plastic ball...

As far as the Sport Shot goes, I've always found spares to the right of the head pin easier with my strike ball, just huck it to the 5 board and it sits and rolls right over the ten. I dunno, maybe its just me...

austin
03-15-2014, 11:31 PM
I am one of those people that was indecisive about the plastic spare ball as well. I am right handed so for all spares on the right side of the lane I used to just flatten out the wrist instead of my usual shot. Accuracy was a bit patchy at times so I eventually relented and got myself a plastic ball to spare shoot the right side of the lane. My accuracy did not improve at all. So now I no longer use a plastic ball for right sided spares. I feel the spot in my bag is better used by having another ball for other types of lane conditions for when I bowl tournaments. I bowl tournaments bi-monthly and having that extra option in the bag far out weighs the marginal if any increase in sparing accuracy.

Hammer
03-17-2014, 05:52 PM
I shot my highest scratch game, a 276 and highest scratch 3 game series, 710 with one ball. That was an urethane Blue Hammer that I bought in the 90s. I used to practice quite a bit then. That urethane ball was good for picking up spares because I could throw it and not have to worry about a big hook. It had just a very slight hook when going after a 7 pin leave-I am left handed-and just the right amount of hook when going after the 10 pin. I play only THS patterns so for me a urethane for a spare ball or a strike ball works for me. I don't have high speed or revs.

RobLV1
03-17-2014, 11:21 PM
In your situation, throwing your old blue urethane Hammer works just fine; a lot like throwing plastic.

Aslan
03-18-2014, 02:53 PM
In your situation, throwing your old blue urethane Hammer works just fine; a lot like throwing plastic.

Yeah...I've never understood why people insist on plastic when urethane is equally as straight. : /

bowl1820
03-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah...I've never understood why people insist on plastic when urethane is equally as straight. : /

Because urethane can still HOOK.

Yes, on most of today's conditions a urethane ball will go pretty straight and you can get away with using it as a spare/dry cond. ball.

But urethane balls can still move a lot unexpectedly when they see friction. Urethane balls were the big hooking balls before resin.

So by using a Polyester ball (plastic) you reduce the possibility of the unexpected movement to the minimum.

tccstudent
03-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Can you throw a strong hook monster and make it go straight? Sure but why do you want to.
I used to hate plastic and would throw my strike ball at everything. I was pretty decent picking up a 10 pin with whatever I had in my hand too. But in order for me to pick it up I had to use a different release and I had little miss room. Since I drilled up a plastic ball I can use the same release and mark to pick up the 10 pin. I am able to stand in the same spot as I would to throw a strike and aim just like I was trying to strike the plastic will just keep going straight right to the 10.
Do I still miss sometimes sure who dont.
I have found I am a little more consistent picking up the 10 with a plastic then I was with a reactive ball. While maybe I only make one additional spare a night well that 11 pins added to my total. We have had games recently that were decided by 1 pin so it could be the difference in winning the point or losing the point.

RobLV1
03-18-2014, 05:03 PM
My reasoning for using the old Blue Hammer is that a ball that old doesn't have a core. A whole lot of the reason that modern urethane balls hook is because of the core. No core, and little in terms of static imbalances, and the old urethane balls hook very little.

zdawg
03-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Can you throw a strong hook monster and make it go straight? Sure but why do you want to.
I used to hate plastic and would throw my strike ball at everything. I was pretty decent picking up a 10 pin with whatever I had in my hand too. But in order for me to pick it up I had to use a different release and I had little miss room. Since I drilled up a plastic ball I can use the same release and mark to pick up the 10 pin. I am able to stand in the same spot as I would to throw a strike and aim just like I was trying to strike the plastic will just keep going straight right to the 10.
Do I still miss sometimes sure who dont.
I have found I am a little more consistent picking up the 10 with a plastic then I was with a reactive ball. While maybe I only make one additional spare a night well that 11 pins added to my total. We have had games recently that were decided by 1 pin so it could be the difference in winning the point or losing the point.

This is the main reason why I will be buying a spare ball at some point in the near future. Most of the time I can throw my weak ball pretty straight, but I have to change my release considerably, and there are times where it still hooks a bit and misses the pin - its particularly frustrating in league play especially when a lot of our games are very close.

Mike White
03-18-2014, 06:20 PM
This is the main reason why I will be buying a spare ball at some point in the near future. Most of the time I can throw my weak ball pretty straight, but I have to change my release considerably, and there are times where it still hooks a bit and misses the pin - its particularly frustrating in league play especially when a lot of our games are very close.

Even if you can throw a $200 ball perfectly straight at the corner pin, why would you want to?

A slight mistake into the gutter, and the ball could be damaged to the point it's hard to make strikes with it.

Its much better to throw an inexpensive ball at the spares, and save the expensive balls for strikes, where you shouldn't be near the gutters.

If your spare ball gets messed up, it doesn't effect your ability to throw strikes.

I was practicing on Monday, playing from 15, out to 5, then back to flush in the pocket.

The guy next to me asked if the ball I was using was a Storm Vivid. I handed him my ball and watched the expression on his face when he realized I was using a White Dot. Priceless.

http://www.columbia300.com/products/images/full/C300_WD-BlkPurYell_1.png

zdawg
03-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Even if you can throw a $200 ball perfectly straight at the corner pin, why would you want to?

A slight mistake into the gutter, and the ball could be damaged to the point it's hard to make strikes with it.

Its much better to throw an inexpensive ball at the spares, and save the expensive balls for strikes, where you shouldn't be near the gutters.

If your spare ball gets messed up, it doesn't effect your ability to throw strikes.

I was practicing on Monday, playing from 15, out to 5, then back to flush in the pocket.

The guy next to me asked if the ball I was using was a Storm Vivid. I handed him my ball and watched the expression on his face when he realized I was using a White Dot. Priceless.

http://www.columbia300.com/products/images/full/C300_WD-BlkPurYell_1.png

Actually I might be up your way in the not so distant future, and since I'm interested in the tri-grip AND a spare ball kill two birds with one stone. I'll let you know

Aslan
03-18-2014, 10:05 PM

I'd never throw a $200 ball.

Besides, what are the odds that I'd gutter and the ball would bounce up and hit the pinsetter and get…………never mind.

J Anderson
03-18-2014, 10:18 PM
My reasoning for using the old Blue Hammer is that a ball that old doesn't have a core. A whole lot of the reason that modern urethane balls hook is because of the core. No core, and little in terms of static imbalances, and the old urethane balls hook very little.

I bought a Storm Mix this year to replace my White Dot. As far as I can tell the Mix is the same ball as the Polar Ice but with prettier colors. It has an old fashioned pancake weight block and while it does have some hook there's little danger of it missing the ten to the left.

tccstudent
03-18-2014, 11:41 PM

Besides, what are the odds that I'd gutter and the ball would bounce up and hit the pinsetter and get…………never mind.

Actually you do you are just patient enough to wait and get them at a huge discount. While some of us want the new freshly released ball that you are going to wait two years to get.

Mike White
03-19-2014, 05:33 AM
I bought a Storm Mix this year to replace my White Dot. As far as I can tell the Mix is the same ball as the Polar Ice but with prettier colors. It has an old fashioned pancake weight block and while it does have some hook there's little danger of it missing the ten to the left.

The difference between a Mix and a Polar Ice is the Mix is a Pearl, and the Polar Ice is a Hybrid, where just the blue color has the pearl additive.

I just drilled a Mix to go with my Polar Ice, hopefully the Mix will hook slightly less, but a little more than my plastic ball.

If I don't get the White Dot out away from the oil, it leaves the most pitiful weak 10 pins.

I'm not talking about where the 6 pin lays in the gutter, but doesn't hit the 10.

It's so sad, the 6 pin barely even makes it to the gutter.

Mike White
03-19-2014, 05:44 AM

I'd never pay $200 for a ball, but that's not to say I wouldn't use a ball that is worth $200 to "regular folk".

For a short while, I used a 16# Storm Sync. I went up in weight hoping it would cause me to slow down.

It didn't work. All it did was make me wake up the next morning with more pain.