PDA

View Full Version : Matrixing your bag (or building your arsenal) by Laneside Reviews

bowl1820
02-28-2014, 08:44 AM
MATRIXING by Laneside Reviews
https://www.facebook.com/LaneSideReviews

Alright Everyone! we're going to talk about MATRIXING.

No, this isn't Scoops in a trench coat and sunglasses.

Matrixing your bag (or building your arsenal) is a technique designed for you to understand what equipment you are carrying, and why (and is good for ANY level of bowler).

Here's how it works: Take all of the balls you use to your local center. Get on a fresh shot and practice until you have your line with your "go to" or base ball. Then take each ball and move your feet and mark until you can strike with it. Write down how many boards (+ / -) you have moved yourself to line up with the new ball. Repeat this movement with every ball you have there. Now you can make a chart (or even an easy to read document) that will tell you based on your GO TO ball how each ball compares to it.

Now WHY do we do this? It serves THREE important purposes.

First, it will allow you to know what ball changes to make when one ball isn't working. For instance, if your GOTO ball is over hooking 5 boards and you have a ball that you line up 5 boards weaker with you can make a change to that ball and basically stay in the same spot. Same goes for a ball that is stronger. If a ball isn't coming back and you have one you know is stronger you will know where to stand with it on your next shot. Thus removing a lot of guess work when lining up.

Secondly, it will tell you if you are carrying the same ball in your bag. If you test your equipment and 3 of the 4 balls you have do the same thing then you probably don't need to carry 2 of them. This might be an opportunity to add a new ball or get one redrilled to give you some variety.

The third purpose is similar to the second one, but important enough to get its own section. You can find out if all of your equipment makes the same SHAPE when you throw it. What I mean is this: If all your equipment goes 40 feet and then turns in the shape of a hockey stick then what do you do if you get on lanes with no back ends (or super dry back ends). Having balls with different shapes, break points and surfaces can help bring even more variety to your bag. Not every ball works on every lane condition, so having something you can go to will help you score more.

While you would think that this tip would be good only for Tournament bowlers, I find that any bowlers who have more then 2 balls benefit from knowing exactly what each ball will do, and it will help your pocket book when you know your not just buying the same ball over and over again.

mc_runner
02-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Really good advice! Especially point 1 which I've struggled with - "what do I do when I switch balls?" Same shot, move over, waste a frame or 2 figuring out how it's going to react? Knowing what it will do to a large degree beforehand is big.

RobLV1
02-28-2014, 10:47 AM
This would also be a perfect time to look up the low rg measurements on your bowling balls and see if you can see the correlation between the numbers and what the balls do.

vdubtx
02-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Knowing what it will do to a large degree beforehand is big.

Absolutely! Of the 3 strike balls I take with me when I bowl, I know my main ball the First Blood is 5 boards "stronger" than my U-Turn and is 3-4 boards "weaker" than my Disturbed. Can sometimes play same line with both First Blood and Disturbed but the Disturbed finishes stronger.

Mike White
02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
MATRIXING by Laneside Reviews
https://www.facebook.com/LaneSideReviews

Alright Everyone! we're going to talk about MATRIXING.

No, this isn't Scoops in a trench coat and sunglasses.

Matrixing your bag (or building your arsenal) is a technique designed for you to understand what equipment you are carrying, and why (and is good for ANY level of bowler).

Here's how it works: Take all of the balls you use to your local center. Get on a fresh shot and practice

I was with you up until the end of what I quoted.

My chances of seeing a fresh shot in practice are damn close to 0%.

The closest I can get, is just after an afternoon seniors trio league bowls.

MICHAEL
02-28-2014, 12:51 PM
I was with you up until the end of what I quoted.

My chances of seeing a fresh shot in practice are damn close to 0%.

The closest I can get, is just after an afternoon seniors trio league bowls.

After you win, or lose your battle with Aslan, (The Lion), sell the rights to your movie to major studio, then with
just a fraction of the money, put a couple lanes in you new home that you purchase to accommodate your Own Personal Bowling Lanes! Get a good, new model Kegal Oil machine, and WALA!!! Not hearing much from the Z guy?? Whats up with him??? Is he laying low,,,, and just might be a HUGE surprise to you and Aslan!!!