PDA

View Full Version : Where do you focus when bowling?

Ape Man
03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I may be weird, but when I focus on the arrows I end up lofting it like crazy.

I find myself setting up in the same spot, and looking at the foul line, muscle memory takes car of the angle and direction the ball goes. I adjust my feet and eyes on the foul line if adjustments required. I find when I look at the foul line it confirms I'll have a smooth release and good rotation on the ball and have been doing it for years without issue.

Anybody else do this?

vdubtx
03-03-2014, 03:51 PM
I focus at the arrows to begin with and about 15 feet further down lane. When in my approach I don't constantly keep focus on the arrow and like you, let my muscle memory take over somewhat. I think I am pretty accurate at the arrows(usually within a board) and have a little bit of work to do to hit mark down lane a bit better(typically within 2 boards).

Aslan
03-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I had the same problem when I started. If I look at the arrows...even though I can accurately hit them and it seems natural...I tend to loft the ball and the ball "lands" on the arrows.

To combat this, I've started using more of a "line target" where I draw a line from where I am at the foul line to the arrow/board I'm targeting...and I aim for the dot/board that line crosses. So I end up shooting at the dots rather than the arrows. The only "negative" is when I'm not reaching out toward those arrows, I sometimes don't have as good of a follow-through....which can cause me to pull or push the shot....if I'm not square when I release.

I've always had trouble understanding people that can target the arrows yet release the ball 1-2" over the foul line. I tend to want to have the ball in my field of vision when I release...thus arrows = a late release/high loft.....foul line I'm staring down when releasing.

noeymc
03-03-2014, 11:40 PM
tip put a towl down on the lane try to loft it just past it thats a good way to start

Hampe
03-04-2014, 08:38 AM
I've always had trouble understanding people that can target the arrows yet release the ball 1-2" over the foul line. I tend to want to have the ball in my field of vision when I release...thus arrows = a late release/high loft.....foul line I'm staring down when releasing.That's the point of the spine tilt to have your head directly over the ball.

I can't imagine aiming at the foul line....seems like it would be possible to hit a spot that close but still have an area about 5+ boards 30-40 feet down the lane that the ball could possibly end up. For me, aiming near the arrows allows the best mix of having a spot I can hit consistently, while still keeping the shot fairly tight and accurate down the lane.

mc_runner
03-04-2014, 09:12 AM
At the Arrows... I've tried aiming at the dots, or other parts of the lane but it just doesn't feel natural. I guess it's habit at this point.

Hampe's right.. I find that even a board off on a lot of shots at the arrows can translate into a different reaction down lane. If I was to aim at the foul line, personally (probably because I'm not that consistent) I'd be seeing a huge variety downlane with shots that "hit target"

Geneo2u
03-04-2014, 09:23 AM
I look at the dots for the simple reason the arrows are so far away, make since to me. good thing is i can usually hit my target(dot) but seems harder to control the shape of the shot.. Just my minds eye i suppose..

noeymc
03-04-2014, 09:45 AM
At the Arrows... I've tried aiming at the dots, or other parts of the lane but it just doesn't feel natural. I guess it's habit at this point.

Hampe's right.. I find that even a board off on a lot of shots at the arrows can translate into a different reaction down lane. If I was to aim at the foul line, personally (probably because I'm not that consistent) I'd be seeing a huge variety downlane with shots that "hit target"

1 board off at the dots is 3 down the lane roughly

bdtrob300
03-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I do the same thing, I move my starting position, but I never really aim anywhere down the lane.

I focus at the foul line and look to a spot around the first set of arrows where I want to throw, but its not a specific board, more a general area. If my release is clean and the ball gets anywhere between the 15-10 board, I'm usually golden...

If I'm having trouble hitting that area, either missing way left or right, I simply move to my right and focus on keeping my hand behind the ball and playing straighter until I feel comfortable enough to slowly move back to the left...

noeymc
03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
I do the same thing, I move my starting position, but I never really aim anywhere down the lane.

I focus at the foul line and look to a spot around the first set of arrows where I want to throw, but its not a specific board, more a general area. If my release is clean and the ball gets anywhere between the 15-10 board, I'm usually golden...

If I'm having trouble hitting that area, either missing way left or right, I simply move to my right and focus on keeping my hand behind the ball and playing straighter until I feel comfortable enough to slowly move back to the left...

lol go try that on a sport shot

bdtrob300
03-04-2014, 01:30 PM
lol go try that on a sport shot

I've bowled on a few sport and PBA patterns before. Honestly, as long as I watch my speed and keep the ball in front of me, I don't notice a huge difference. Sure my line has to change, have to cut down the angle and don't dare miss right. But i do ok. Except on the Badger. Screw that pattern...lol

noeymc
03-04-2014, 02:03 PM
on every shot ive bowled on i maybe have a half a board so unless u area is 2 boards the way u said it is u have a 5 board window that doesnt add up 1 board missed at the arrows is like 3 down the lane not trying to attack u just think about it i dont know ur goals or nothing but if its to be very consistent being able to split boards is a great start!

swingset
03-04-2014, 04:24 PM
I've always felt the targeting was an overblown aspect to the game once you're fundamentals are sound and you're consistent.

I had a college team practicing on our lanes next to me a year or so ago, and they hung a curtain just past the foul line and were practicing bowling blind (just relying on footwork and general lane direction as an aiming tool). I was amazed how, watching the ball over the arrows how many could easily repeat their shots. Some of them got MORE accurate without targeting the arrows....even at the breakpoint.

If targeting is crucial for accuracy, it wouldn't have been that way. Clearly, muscle memory and lining up play more into downlane accuracy than focusing alone does.

I'm sure someone might argue against that belief, but I saw it in action with a whole team of experienced bowlers.

bdtrob300
03-05-2014, 01:46 PM
On a sport short, I have about a board to play with. I wasn't trying to be defensive. Just I hear these league guys talk about moving a half of a board down lane and I roll my eyes...

Ape Man
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
On a sport short, I have about a board to play with. I wasn't trying to be defensive. Just I hear these league guys talk about moving a half of a board down lane and I roll my eyes...

Exactly the reason for my question haha. I did a sport shot league a while back and made good friends with the 2-8-10 haha.

I have been practicing latley at using the three point system with Quiet eye.. and it actually works pretty good. I have been looking at the arrors and find my mid/back lane shape and area is more consistant.

Hammer
03-20-2014, 10:44 PM
I first pick an arrow I want to go over and then I set up on the approach and put my sliding foot arch on the board I want to use to hit my target arrow. Once I am set up for that I make my approach focusing on my ball hand. I try to feel my hand having a light grip with my thumb and my wrist staying cupped and on the inside of the ball on the backswing. On the forward swing I focus on keeping my hand on the inside of the ball with my ring finger leading the swing to the release area. Doing this keeps my ball hand from rotating early before the release area.

If you are lofting when you don't want to you are probably gripping the ball too tightly with your thumb. When you do that the knuckle of your thumb raises in the thumb hole and then it hangs up instead of coming out nice and quick like it should at the start of the release area.
I know sometimes that happens to me on league. When it happens I tell my teammates that I forgot to let go of the ball when I should. If you have a light grip with your thumb it will come out quick at the beginning of the release area. After it comes out you uncup your wrist
and rotate your hand just an inch or two to get the revs on the ball.

Sometimes it is hard not to grip tight with your thumb because you feel like you will lose controll of the ball and not hit your target. You just have to practice having a light grip with your thumb and learn to trust it. I used to practice seeing how light I can grip the ball with my thumb and see when it becomes too light and the shot don't come out right. What will make you grip tight with the thumb is when you break your wrist back on the forward swing. Now you have the weight of the ball trying to pull off your thumb as you near the release area. That is why on the forward swing you keep your wrist straight or a little cupped so your thumb will stay in without gripping hard as you near the release area.

At the beginning of the release area your hand should be behind the ball or a little to the inside of the ball and then your thumb should come out quickly.

Hammer
04-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Actually the first thing I focus on is if I remembered to take off my bowling shoe protectors before I make my approach.

JohnnyG
07-10-2014, 06:53 AM
When stepping up to the ball return in preparation of making your next delivery, remind yourself exactly where you want your bowling ball to go. Input into your computer the target location and then zoom in with your eyes on your target when you step onto the approach.

RobLV1
07-10-2014, 08:24 AM
I think that you will find that your accuracy will improve and you rev rate will increase if you, rather than thinking about where you want your bowling ball to go (aiming), you think about the direction in which you want your armswing to go. This will allow you to let the ball go instead of aiming it at your "target." There are no pins at the arrows, and you don't get any brownie points for hitting a target that is 45 feet away from the pins.

rv driver
07-10-2014, 09:09 AM
I think that you will find that your accuracy will improve and you rev rate will increase if you, rather than thinking about where you want your bowling ball to go (aiming), you think about the direction in which you want your armswing to go. This will allow you to let the ball go instead of aiming it at your "target." There are no pins at the arrows, and you don't get any brownie points for hitting a target that is 45 feet away from the pins.
^^^ This makes more sense to me.

mike_thomas93
07-13-2014, 12:37 PM
I like this too. I'm not trying to have a huge high rev rate, just enough to get my by. And i'd like to increase my ball speed. Everything's kind of on the low side now.