PDA

View Full Version : Ball question

gladius87
01-11-2009, 09:56 PM
As of now, I am throwing a 14# Rotogrip RS-X. I am a right handed bowler . It is drilled with the pin pretty much an inch below my ring finger. I can throw this ball for consistent 150 games at a house with thick oil and wood lanes. However, at school where the lanes are more consistently medium in oil and synthetic, I am struggling to throw a 150 game.

On these lanes, I am standing with my feet together on the second dot from the right on the approach, and setting the ball on the second arrow on the lane to get it into the pocket. So my curve is petty straight, then breaks at the back end to fall into the pocket. I throw the ball anywhere from 16-17 mph, and have no idea what my revs are.

I am looking to buy a new ball, and a Brunswick Twisted Fury or Hammer Psycho are the two I am really looking at. I want a 15# ball, as I feel it will power through more pins. The 14# ball doesn't do much unless I hit the pocket perfectly. However, I am afraid that the extra weight will slow my throw down, resulting in a sharper curve. I do not want to have to change my style and approach much with the new ball.

What do you think of the current balls I am looking at, and if those don't look like they match my style, what would you suggest. I am also looking for advice on how to get this ball drilled based on the information given.

Thank You

jaws1945
01-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't waste money on a high performance ball yet. As your game progresses and you have a better understanding of your game you can step up. I would stay with a low RG ball that is in the mid price range. Also you might go to your favorite pro shop and have them watch you throw a few balls and they can fit and recommend something for you.

Iceman
01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
As of now, I am throwing a 14# Rotogrip RS-X. I am a right handed bowler . It is drilled with the pin pretty much an inch below my ring finger. I can throw this ball for consistent 150 games at a house with thick oil and wood lanes. However, at school where the lanes are more consistently medium in oil and synthetic, I am struggling to throw a 150 game.

On these lanes, I am standing with my feet together on the second dot from the right on the approach, and setting the ball on the second arrow on the lane to get it into the pocket. So my curve is petty straight, then breaks at the back end to fall into the pocket. I throw the ball anywhere from 16-17 mph, and have no idea what my revs are.

I am looking to buy a new ball, and a Brunswick Twisted Fury or Hammer Psycho are the two I am really looking at. I want a 15# ball, as I feel it will power through more pins. The 14# ball doesn't do much unless I hit the pocket perfectly. However, I am afraid that the extra weight will slow my throw down, resulting in a sharper curve. I do not want to have to change my style and approach much with the new ball.

What do you think of the current balls I am looking at, and if those don't look like they match my style, what would you suggest. I am also looking for advice on how to get this ball drilled based on the information given.

Thank You

Going up in weight is not a bad ideal, I usually throw 14 but do have 2 balls drilled Pin above ring finger to compensate for my speed if necessary. I usually only break these out when the carry down is pushed down and I'm getting late breaks on my ball. I have 2 balls (Ebonite Gamebreaker - in 14# and 15# and a Visionary Gladiator Solid in 14# and 15# - both 15# are drilled over ring finger - so I don't feel I have to increase speed to get it through the heads to the break point.

If you feel speed is the issue - raise your starting hand position to get a little more backswing, this tends to increase speed without changing your footwork - but sometimes gets you out of sync at the line, this takes practice - but I do agree with not going to high performance balls until you understand your aspect of your game and what your capable of. Remember, there are many 220 Avg people on THS that can't play 20 board, out of their comfort zone - find your comfort zone, then start moving around left and right to expand your comfort zone - your avg will take a hit doing this, but it's all for the greater good of the game overall.

Good Luck!