PDA

View Full Version : Thought for league night tonight, ring finger leads to release area........

Hammer
03-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Sometimes a thought pops up to use on league night as far as technique. Tonight my only thought before I started my approach was lead with the ring finger. I usually use the thought of stay behind the ball. It seemed like lead with the ring finger was the better thought tonight. When I started league night tonight I really didn't have a go to thought. I picked it up somewhere near the end of the first game.

It seemed like I wasn't feeling the balls weight dropping onto my fingertips going through the release area. As soon as I started thinking lead with the ring finger to the release area I started feeling the balls weight falling onto my fingertips. It felt really good and gave my ball the reaction I was looking for to get it to go to the pocket.

I struggled the first game but pulled out a 174. The second game I had to get use to the feeling of the ring finger leading the way to the release area and was able to get a 180. The third game was easier as I got more confident with the ring finger leading. I couldn't wait to make the next shot. I felt the ball on my fingertips on every shot the third game. I wasn't getting all strikes but I was making shots with one pin makeable spares.

I ended up shooting an even 200 game in the third game. What makes these scores not so bad is the fact that I haven't bowled on our league in a month because of a wrist issue which is okay now. I didn't have any practice in that time either. Instead of the stay behind the ball thought before I start my approach I will use the lead with the ring finger thought. It seems like that thought makes it easier not to turn the hand early before the release. It keeps my hand to the inside of the ball longer as it enters the release area.

Feeling the balls weight dropping onto the fingertips makes the shot feel real good and gives the ball real good revs and makes your ball have the reaction it should have with a good release. Maybe the thought of LEAD WITH THE RING FINGER is something that would work for you. It takes a little getting use to if you were never doing it before. It seems like the normal reaction for most of us is to start turning early as we get near the release zone. Maybe we think if we don't turn early the ball will go into the gutter but I can tell you it doesn't.

Good luck if you are going to try this. You will like the result if you get the hang of it.

MICHAEL
03-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Bowing to me is a journey! Being new to the sport at 63, I am not sure too many things are etched in stone. That's just my opinion! Everyone is different, which is a good thing! Think of how boring it would be if not!

What has helped the Iceman is mainly

1. watching bowlers that are GOOD, and picking up on things they are doing, and ask questions

2. Read what people like Mike, Rob, and Aslan have to say, and then play with on the lanes and see if it works! Did I say Aslan... delete that! LOL Just kidding Aslan you have some good ones once in a while... (:)

3. On this site they have a great teaching tool, called Bowlversity! Its a great place for information! I think it could be even better if they had visuals, and video's to go along with what Rich is saying. Sure they have a visual of Rich saying what is written about the subject that you could read yourself, and for the bowlers that can't read, I am sure they appreciate Rich reading it to them. (:)

bowling for me has been a Late start, but I have picked up a huge amount of information from this website, and some of my bowling friends, like Jason, Jim, and gene!

I hate to coin an old saying, but its the journey, not the destination, that makes bowling the GREAT SPORT IT IS!!

Hammer
03-09-2014, 03:59 PM
To Michael(ICEMAN): For starting bowling as late as you have I have to give you credit that you are a pretty good bowler. Sometimes it is hard to pick up a game like bowling quick as you have especially at your age. Don't take that wrong as I am a kid of 67. Before getting info from places like this and other website places that have bowling instruction I remember getting bowling tips from watching pro bowling on free TV on Saturday afternoons from guys like Nelson Burton Jr. The technique of bowling has changed quite a bit for the modern game. So it is great that we can get this info from places like BowlVersity to help us in our hunt for the right technique in the modern game.