PDA

View Full Version : Why not tournaments for over 65 1/2 year olds.. WHY????

MICHAEL
03-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Why not tournaments for guys over 65?? LOL,,,, hey too many young pup's out for me to keep up with!!!! I have great endurance, just not the same body I had 30 years ago!

Do they even have tournaments for say over 50? I have never seen any around here?? :rolleyes: Iceman would take on 50 year olds, in a tournament setting!!
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/oldbowler_zps1934c2e6.gif (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/oldbowler_zps1934c2e6.gif.html)
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/old_ladies_bowling_zps435acae9.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/old_ladies_bowling_zps435acae9.jpg.html)

wouldn't you like to watch a tournament on TV with this age bracket!! ????

circlecity
03-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Yes, it's called the PBA50. Go get your PBA card and bowl with the big boys.

MICHAEL
03-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes, it's called the PBA50. Go get your PBA card and bowl with the big boys.

I am talking LOCAL!!! LOCAL tournaments... not PBA! I have NO delusions of thinking I am good enough to bowl them animals!!

We have tournaments around town, but I don't know of any for 50 on up!

Mike White
03-09-2014, 12:22 PM
I am talking LOCAL!!! LOCAL tournaments... not PBA! I have NO delusions of thinking I am good enough to bowl them animals!!

We have tournaments around town, but I don't know of any for 50 on up!

I'm thinking the number of 65+ bowlers still interested in tournament bowling is pretty limited.

If you think otherwise, organize one yourself.

Around here, the closest we get is 55+ handicap no-tap, very low entry, pays very little money.

bowl1820
03-09-2014, 12:29 PM
They have a 100 and over tournament here every month. Its doubles and your ages have to add up to more tjan a 100. Goes back and forth between two houses.

MICHAEL
03-09-2014, 12:46 PM
They have a 100 and over tournament here every month. Its doubles and your ages have to add up to more tjan a 100. Goes back and forth between two houses.

That's still to young... lol to spring chick 50 year olds!! LOL. If I were to have a tournament like that it would be, doubles, and both ages have to add up to 120 , and you have to be at least 50 to bowl the tournament!

Al, that sounds like a lot of fun!! After my wife retires in 3 years, we plan on hatting the road in our 5th wheel.
Might spend some time down your way, and check that tournament out! I IMAGINE its handicap,,,,LOL,,,LOL since most are over 50!!!

MICHAEL
03-09-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking the number of 65+ bowlers still interested in tournament bowling is pretty limited.

If you think otherwise, organize one yourself.

Around here, the closest we get is 55+ handicap no-tap, very low entry, pays very little money.

I am sure your right mike!! Not many still walking, and in good health! BUT ICEMAN IS!!! (:) Sad,,, but a lot of it has to do in my opinion, crap most eat, water that is not healthy, and lack of exercise!

Which reminds me, off to the gym for a light work out... bowl tonight with my honey bun!!! (:)

I will check to see if we have any 55 plus! It would be cool to bowl even young guys in the mid 50's! I do have fun whipping up on many young bowlers in my area!

tccstudent
03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
There is alot of the older guys around here doing the sasba tournaments. They have them all over the south mainly in texas though.
http://sasba.com/

J Anderson
03-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Our local USBC tournament allows seniors to enter a seniors only event for a modest fee. You still have to enter at least one or more of the regular events, i.e. team, singles/doubles. However the way they figure your senior event score is to just take the first series you bowl in the tournament, not your best series. On the bright side since there's no extra lineage involved, 100% of the senior entry fees go into the senior prize fund.

MICHAEL
03-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Our local USBC tournament allows seniors to enter a seniors only event for a modest fee. You still have to enter at least one or more of the regular events, i.e. team, singles/doubles. However the way they figure your senior event score is to just take the first series you bowl in the tournament, not your best series. On the bright side since there's no extra lineage involved, 100% of the senior entry fees go into the senior prize fund.

That sounds like FUN!! You know J,,,, I have a hell of a lot more fun bowling on a seniors league that is for men and women over 50! That was my first league a few years back, but then I started getting some great scores, 298, 290, and a number of them in the 270s,,,, and I thought to myself, WHY couldn't' this be a sanctioned league!!! I would always ask at the team meeting if we could vote on being sanctioned, and some would vote yes, but most would vote no. Money being the main issue.

There was no prize money but Cool little trophies at the end of the season, and a dinner/awards banquet.

It was only $7.50,,, to bowl, and .50 cents if you missed or couldn't make it for any reason! They were a great bunch of people, several much younger then me, many older then me.... but a bunch of GREAT PEOPLE to bowl with and NOT SO DAMN SERIOUS, but FUN!
I miss them guys, and gals!!!! I am thinking seriously about going back next fall! They bowl on Mondays at 1pm and my wonderful wife is off that day, so maybe we, will return to the Fun Time Seniors League! ( that's the name) lol Has a nice ring to it!! Bowling should always be about FUN,,,, IMHA! Unless your a PRO making your living out of bowing, its a SPORT, to be enjoyed to the fullest!!

Aslan
03-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Why not tournaments for guys over 65?? LOL,,,, wouldn't you like to watch a tournament on TV with this age bracket!! ????

Probably because of liability issues. 65 is like over 90% dead. They'd have to have a whole team of medical staff at the bowling center. Not to mention, how can you drug test them for performance enhancing drugs? They take 9 pills with each meal and aren't even sure what half of them are.

Although...they could get Depends and Preparation H and Gold Bond to sponsor it. Maybe a "Medic Alert: Tournament of Champions"? This tournament brought to you by "Old Country Buffet...now with more handicap parking!!" You'd have to magnify the scoring screen so they could see it better. But it might work. As long as it doesn't interfere with Matlock, In the Heat of the Night, Walker Texas Ranger, or Wheel of Fortune...it could probably get some decent ratings.

Blacksox1
03-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Right on Aslan ! Agree with the post above. Congrats on the tourney win. Enjoy your win. Even at the special olympics there are haters.

Hammer
04-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Probably because of liability issues. 65 is like over 90% dead. They'd have to have a whole team of medical staff at the bowling center. Not to mention, how can you drug test them for performance enhancing drugs? They take 9 pills with each meal and aren't even sure what half of them are.

Although...they could get Depends and Preparation H and Gold Bond to sponsor it. Maybe a "Medic Alert: Tournament of Champions"? This tournament brought to you by "Old Country Buffet...now with more handicap parking!!" You'd have to magnify the scoring screen so they could see it better. But it might work. As long as it doesn't interfere with Matlock, In the Heat of the Night, Walker Texas Ranger, or Wheel of Fortune...it could probably get some decent ratings.

Hey Aslan! I got to give you credit for this reply. I got a good laugh out of it.

tccstudent
04-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Hey Aslan! I got to give you credit for this reply. I got a good laugh out of it.

That was pretty funny