PDA

View Full Version : Private Lesson Today

Bunny
03-12-2014, 01:28 PM
I have a private lesson today with the house pro at Fountain Bowl. Some guy named Mark Baker. Has anybody heard of him?

Just kidding!! I can hardly wait!!!!! :p

tccstudent
03-12-2014, 01:39 PM
is that Tammy Faye's son.

classygranny
03-12-2014, 03:31 PM
I am soooo jealous!!!

Mudpuppy
03-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Awesome. Enjoy.

zdawg
03-12-2014, 04:09 PM
I have a private lesson today with the house pro at Fountain Bowl. Some guy named Mark Baker. Has anybody heard of him?

Nice! I have a lesson scheduled with that guy next Tuesday as he'll be down in Oceanside, lucky for us he has some spare time away from his GM duties with the Atom Splitters :p

Bunny
03-13-2014, 12:42 PM
The lesson with Mark was great. We worked on a few things...

1. Starting stance. I was dropping my shoulder a little too much. It's a subtle shoulder drop. Less knee bend. He had me standing straighter up.

2. Ball/arm position at start. He turned my hand so my fingers are on the outside of the ball. It leads to a more natural arm swing and also gets my hand in the correct position at the bottom to turn for more hook (behind the ball, just an 1/8th turn.)

This one adjustment also straightened my swing plane and swing arc. I knew I needed to correct it just didn't know how. Adjusting my ball position at start fixed a lot of things, swing plane, swing arc, shoulder position, balance, etc. Easy enough!!

3. Approach speed/tempo. I was slowing down a little on the approach.

Within each of these Mark went in more detail and explained the mechanics behind it. Which I love!

I had some beautiful shots with nice rotation and ended with a super sweet strike. I could feel the difference and Mark appeared pleased that I was able to implement his changes quickly. After my first post-tip shot he goes "Wow! That was quick." It seemed genuine. :)

Overall, we didn't change much which is Mark's philosophy. Once again I'm reminded that bowling is a very subtle sport. It only takes a small adjustments to exact a larger outcome.

Mostly we had fun!!

Bunny
03-13-2014, 12:52 PM
I am soooo jealous!!!

I'm still amazed he's available. I signed up again in two weeks. After that he's gone for a month.

If I had the means I'd do his Camp Bakes Clinic. When you break down the price it's actually not too bad. You get three balls custom drilled. Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to talk myself into it! But we can dream!! :o

Nice! I have a lesson scheduled with that guy next Tuesday as he'll be down in Oceanside, lucky for us he has some spare time away from his GM duties with the Atom Splitters :p

The guy's alright, I guess!! :p

Awesome! Have fun!!

zdawg
03-13-2014, 12:53 PM

1. Starting stance. I was dropping my shoulder a little too much. It's a subtle shoulder drop. Less knee bend. He had me standing straighter up.

2. Ball/arm position at start. He turned my hand so my fingers are on the outside of the ball. It leads to a more natural arm swing and also gets my hand in the correct position at the bottom to turn for more hook (behind the ball, just an 1/8th turn.)

This one adjustment also straightened my swing plane and swing arc. I knew I needed to correct it just didn't know how. Adjusting my ball position at start fixed a lot of things, swing plane, swing arc, shoulder position, balance, etc. Easy enough!!

Within each of these Mark went in more detail and explained the mechanics behind it. Which I love!

I had some beautiful shots with nice rotation and ended with a sweet strike. I could feel the difference and Mark appeared pleased that I was able to implement his changes quickly. After my first post-tip shot he goes "Wow! That was quick." It seemed genuine. :)

Overall, we didn't change much which is Mark's philosophy. Once again I'm reminded that bowling is very subtle sport. It only takes a small adjustments to exact a larger outcome.

Mostly we had fun!!

Yeah he's a great coach, I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to move back to the east coast next month, for many reasons but one of them is I won't be able to take lessons from him anymore :(

That's interesting that he had you start your fingers on the outside of the ball in your stance, I usually force them to the inside which has the side effect of causing pain in my tendons from time to time. I'll ask him next week if he has any recommendations for me to make my starting stance more comfortable, as I assume you're not supposed to be in pain before you even start your approach

Bunny
03-13-2014, 01:18 PM
I am soooo jealous!!!

Yeah he's a great coach, I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to move back to the east coast next month, for many reasons but one of them is I won't be able to take lessons from him anymore :(

That's interesting that he had you start your fingers on the outside of the ball in your stance, I usually force them to the inside which has the side effect of causing pain in my tendons from time to time. I'll ask him next week if he has any recommendations for me to make my starting stance more comfortable, as I assume you're not supposed to be in pain before you even start your approach

East Coast? Yikes!!

I know. It seems counterintuitive, but he explained and demonstrated that turning your fingers under the ball or to the inside at the start of the swing actually forces your hand, arm and shoulder into the wrong position throughout the swing.

Yeah, no pain. I like keeping it smooth and easy with effortless power. (Think Dom Barrett. I'm digging his style right now. It's like friggen butta!) The more tweaks and stresses to the body the more chance for injury, not to mention inconsistent shots.

Mark will get you on track!

Mudpuppy
03-13-2014, 03:56 PM

I had some beautiful shots with nice rotation and ended with a super sweet strike. I could feel the difference and Mark appeared pleased that I was able to implement his changes quickly. After my first post-tip shot he goes "Wow! That was quick." It seemed genuine. :)

Overall, we didn't change much which is Mark's philosophy. Once again I'm reminded that bowling is a very subtle sport. It only takes a small adjustments to exact a larger outcome.

Mostly we had fun!!

That is great. I agree 100% on the small adjustments part - most definitely.

Aslan
03-13-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm still amazed he's available. I signed up again in two weeks. After that he's gone for a month.

If I had the means I'd do his Camp Bakes Clinic. When you break down the price it's actually not too bad. You get three balls custom drilled. Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to talk myself into it! But we can dream!! :o

Yeah...I've dreamed that dream many a time...but for me even the one private lesson is sorta a "dream"...I'm still in the $10 clinic reality.

classygranny
03-13-2014, 11:21 PM

The guy's alright, I guess!! :p

Awesome! Have fun!!

Good to hear how you feel about his teachings....my goal is to go to the CAMP BAKES in October.

vdubtx
03-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Good to hear how you feel about his teachings....my goal is to go to the CAMP BAKES in October.

If I was in the Cali/Ari/Nev area, I would have already signed up for one of those. Maybe I will have to take a vacation concurrently with one of them some day. :cool:

zdawg
03-14-2014, 12:50 PM
If I was in the Cali/Ari/Nev area, I would have already signed up for one of those. Maybe I will have to take a vacation concurrently with one of them some day. :cool:

If the stupid government would hurry up and tell me if my company was awarded the contract so I can stay in SoCal I would've already signed up LOL, seriously the government is holding my bowling career hostage right now this just isn't right :mad:

Bunny
03-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Shoot. We're practically Atom Splitters now!

My turn to be jealous! You should totally go!!

He gets out to Texas to work with Chris and Wes. Maybe coordinate something out your way.

If the stupid government would hurry up and tell me if my company was awarded the contract so I can stay in SoCal I would've already signed up LOL, seriously the government is holding my bowling career hostage right now this just isn't right :mad:

That's just wrong!!

Mudpuppy
03-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Looks pretty cool: http://www.campbakes.com/

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o348/mudpuppyr6/Capture-1.jpg (http://s340.photobucket.com/user/mudpuppyr6/media/Capture-1.jpg.html)

But I gotta pass - it would be this or Yamaha Pro School for me this year and as much as I love bowling the fact of the matter is going 180mph on 2 wheels at a hair pin turn is far more fun.

MICHAEL
03-14-2014, 03:48 PM
1150 bucks,,, YOU KNOW I LOVE bowing a lot! But I have no delusions of ever needing assembly line bowing instructions.

Many out there, I think believe that after a class like that they will move to another level... I think back to MANY great sports figures, Like Lee Trevino, and it was what I call "THE GIFT"! There is only so far the best coach in the world can take you! The rest is your physical, and Nero-Network!

I am in NOW WAY SHAPE OR FORM saying coaching, and learning fundamentals is not important! NOT AT ALL.

It gives you the knowledge needed. But getting it from a Bronze level coach, or a Pro, does not, nor will it make you a better bowler, then YOUR Gift allows you to be.

Case in point,,,, Think of a guy on this site that is intelligent, handsome and a real chick magnet!! He has had lessons, and still is struggling. IF HE WENT TO THIS seminar, I would bet 100.00 bucks, that afterwards his average would be about the same.

MY point here is a guy that runs the 100 yard dash in under 10 seconds has been coached to do that, but its the Gift that got him that time!

KNOWING THE FUNDAMENTALS is very important, but the real magic is the GIFT! Why spend money on expensive Coaching lessons, ((( Unless you have the bucks, and want too)))

No need to get upset,,, Who am I ..... LOL... JMHA!! for little its worth!!

P.S. I do get it, meeting the bowing Pros, first hand and interacting, to some that would be worth the price of 1150.00.
I am just not that type of person! I enjoy very much watching them on my tv,,, but 1150,,,, I know you get bowling balls, shirts, and meals. But not the balls I use, nor do I wear advertising without my agent getting some money in the till!! LOL....
All of you going.... enjoy!!! If money was of no consequence,,,, I think I would go!! Not that I thought I would come away with the secret that improves my game a bunch,,, but just to rub shoulders with some GREAT BOWLWERS!!

austin
03-14-2014, 08:39 PM
I have to disagree vehemently with the Iceman here. For you to come on here and say that these clinics are basically worthless is a little short sighted IMHO. The instruction that you get from a professional level can be nothing but helpful. These guys can notice minor issues that can have a big impact on your game. You need to remember practice is only good if you know what to practice. Otherwise you are just throwing a ball at lumps of wood. These pros and higher level coaches give you the insight and tools to practice the right things. Bad practice makes bad habits which makes bad scoring. My 2 cents and this is my opinion only.

Pauley
03-14-2014, 09:22 PM
I actually don't think it is overpriced. To get that many coaches at that level for 4 days could prove extremely valuable.

Would I expect my average to go up as soon as I get home? No, but learning key strategies and WHAT to practice would raise anyones average if they practiced what they learned properly. Could definate shorten the learning curve. 3 balls drilled covers half the cost. I would do it and believe me I ain't loaded...

austin
03-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Amen Pauley.

Bunny
03-14-2014, 11:04 PM
"Ahh, it's all part of the experience..." -Clark W. Griswold.

I stopped by the lanes today to drop off the HRP for a re-drill. I ended up hanging out with the pro shop kid for a bit and we watched Barry and Mark bowl a few frames. It was pretty darn cool. I'm such a bowling nerd, I loved it!!

classygranny
03-14-2014, 11:43 PM
I have to disagree vehemently with the Iceman here. For you to come on here and say that these clinics are basically worthless is a little short sighted IMHO. The instruction that you get from a professional level can be nothing but helpful. These guys can notice minor issues that can have a big impact on your game. You need to remember practice is only good if you know what to practice. Otherwise you are just throwing a ball at lumps of wood. These pros and higher level coaches give you the insight and tools to practice the right things. Bad practice makes bad habits which makes bad scoring. My 2 cents and this is my opinion only.

I actually don't think it is overpriced. To get that many coaches at that level for 4 days could prove extremely valuable.

Would I expect my average to go up as soon as I get home? No, but learning key strategies and WHAT to practice would raise anyones average if they practiced what they learned properly. Could definate shorten the learning curve. 3 balls drilled covers half the cost. I would do it and believe me I ain't loaded...

Thanks guys for your support!!! I just feel that this is a very reasonably priced learning experience. I think if you go into something with positive expectations then you will receive positive vibes in return.

By attending a training session such as this, you would be in an "intense" learning experience - unlike, having a coaching lesson every so often (even if it were weekly). By spending 4 full days in this type of bowling mode, with this experience around you, would provide an opportunity that to me would be well worth the money.

Besides for about $1500 - it would be one heck of a vacation!!!

Apparently, Iceman doesn't need any professional instruction, since we all know exactly how many 300s/700s he's bowled. Even with my memory/or lack thereof, I know, because I am reminded pretty much on a daily basis.

Mike White
03-15-2014, 02:47 AM
Apparently, Iceman doesn't need any professional instruction, since we all know exactly how many 300s/700s he's bowled. Even with my memory/or lack thereof, I know, because I am reminded pretty much on a daily basis.

I was going to suggest some form of drinking game.

Everyone has to take a drink whenever Iceman mentions his 300s, or 780 series.

Last one to puke wins.

MICHAEL
03-15-2014, 08:14 AM

Last one to puke wins.

Ouch.... wow Mike man that knows everything about bowling,,, all that knowledge, and ball drilling didn't help at all against Aslan, and The Z guy! Coaching!! Hey,,, I sorry you had such miserable series, I would have thought you might have gone to drinking after such a dismal showing regardless of your opponents handicap. What was you last game,,, after making all the adjustments,,, 190 something?? Wow.... Real Sweet master driller, instructor! If I ever need coaching I SURE WOULD WANT YOU!! LOL

MIke,,,,,, Mr hate himself, maybe instructions would help in YOUR CASE!! LOL I don't need liquor to puke, in fact MIke I am somewhat of a health nut, but reading you comments, many times gives me the need to go take a good shirt!!!!

Wow Classygranny,,,, my accomplishments are Real, Not made up, I many times post the actual sheets..... does that bother you, that I can do that without coaching, at my age after only bowing 3 1/2 years??? :p

For the record, Iceman thinks Coaching is a Good thing! Now this is just my opinion,,, don't blow a gasket,,,, BUT once you learn the fundamentals , MIKE,,, It will only take you so far! Then its just Raw talent that comes to play Mike!! LOL Like when you took on the GREAT ASLAN.... and got waxed! LOL
Are you going to that class MIKE, before your next great battle with ASLAN!!

If it Does,,, maybe you need more then a Coach. lol Wow...... just when you think ..... anyway, I am starting to get a rumbling in my stomach,,,, I hate when people talk about me, in a sarcastic manner, and don't have the #@$$# to do it Face to Face.....

Well Classy granny, your no longer that classy to me, every time I now see one of your enlightening comments, I will just think of you as Granny,,, lol And MIKE,,,,, Grumpy ,,, who got waxed by Aslan.... I rest my case! Have great days guys,,,,,

Hey did I tell you about my two 300s within 6 months????

Jealously, how does that go,,,,, is the greatest form of flattery!! LMAO!!! O well.... (:)

MICHAEL
03-15-2014, 08:46 AM

LOL,,, no need to vehemently disagree,,,, wow,, I guess my worthless opinion hit a nerve. LOL...... ITS bowling, not a life or death thing! Maybe you are a Coach???

I think some are getting very defensive about my commit! I stand by everything I said, and don't feel the need to retract any of it.

I said learning the fundamentals is important! But Raw talent will always win out over a well coached bowler on standard house oil! I thought my examples made it very clear that Some Coaching can be a good thing, but is it going to give you that 235 average,,,,in most cases no!

I see guys every week!! Guys with 225-235 averages that have never been coached! Do they need it?

I can't believe how sensitive a few of you are!! Wow!! LOL Take a deep breath, now slowly exhale , and go get your coaching!!! LOL

I thought this forum was about opinions,,, If I don't agree with you, I am wrong? (:)

classygranny
03-15-2014, 11:11 AM

Last one to puke wins.

Ok, but I lose. Some days I want to puke - and I haven't even had a drink.

Wow Classygranny,,,, my accomplishments are Real, Not made up, I many times post the actual sheets..... does that bother you, that I can do that without coaching, at my age after only bowing 3 1/2 years??? :p

I never said I doubted your accomplishments. Nor, did I ever indicate they weren't real. Merely stated a fact that you tend to remind all of us on the forum of them on a very constant basis. Do your accomplishments bother me? no - I wish the very best of bowling to all bowlers.

For the record, Iceman thinks Coaching is a Good thing! Now this is just my opinion,,, don't blow a gasket,,,, BUT once you learn the fundamentals , MIKE,,, It will only take you so far! Then its just Raw talent that comes to play Mike!! LOL Like when you took on the GREAT ASLAN.... and got waxed! LOL
Are you going to that class MIKE, before your next great battle with ASLAN!!

So what you are saying that is that once you learn the fundamentals, there is no need for coaching? Guess all the pros out there on tour are still learning the fundaments, as I believe they all have coaches. Humm? If you have ever read Mark Baker's book (oh, yes, Iceman doesn't do instruction as he has RAW talent) you would recognize why some or most of us feel coaching is an ongoing necessary part of the game. He refers to stories that relate to a lot of bowlers with talent, but I guess you just think they are throwing money away.

Well Classy granny, your no longer that classy to me, every time I now see one of your enlightening comments, I will just think of you as Granny,,, lol And MIKE,,,,, Grumpy ,,, who got waxed by Aslan.... I rest my case! Have great days guys,,,,,

Hey did I tell you about my two 300s within 6 months????

Jealously, how does that go,,,,, is the greatest form of flattery!! LMAO!!! O well.... (:)[/QUOTE]

No jealously, I wish the best bowling for everyone (except my immediate opponent at the moment). I'm proud of my own accomplishments, but I don't strut them all over the forum every chance I get...just not my style, as I am so "unclassy".

I thought this forum was about opinions,,, If I don't agree with you, I am wrong? (:)

I don't believe I have ever said you are wrong. In fact, I believe I have shown you more respect than you have ever shown to myself, and most women on this site.

Oh, by the way these statements are just my opinions - not actual FACTS.

Unclassygranny

vdubtx
03-15-2014, 11:15 AM

Last one to puke wins.

I literally just snorted some coffee through my nose laughing.

vdubtx
03-15-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't believe I have ever said you are wrong. In fact, I believe I have shown you more respect than you have ever shown to myself, and most women on this site.

Oh, by the way these statements are just my opinions - not actual FACTS.

Unclassygranny

You are still classy to the rest of us! :cool:

tccstudent
03-15-2014, 12:23 PM
If I had the money and was able to do it one those days I probably would, I am not real excited about the ebonite balls. I bet I could get someone back here to trade me for new balls that I would want though.

1150 for 4 days of bowling instruction 3 balls 2 shirts and 8 meals dont sound like a bad deal.

I may be able to swing the price for the Oct session but I will be in class and dont think skipping a week of class would be a good idea.

Aslan
03-15-2014, 04:18 PM
classygranny wins argument based on her ability to use quote boxes and text color. It's hard to win when you got purple text appearing inside quote boxes. Well played.

noeymc
03-15-2014, 04:26 PM
iceman i like hearing about your good bowling =D

mike you have been very grumpy lately i will admit you do know bowling but u have been a butthead lately

classy gma this is a place of bowling good and bad scores should be posted for everyone

everyone have a good day

vdubtx
03-15-2014, 04:29 PM
iceman i like hearing about your good bowling =D

We all do, just not every post. Like to hear when everyone bowls well! :cool:

classygranny
03-15-2014, 07:36 PM
You are still classy to the rest of us! :cool:

Thanks vdubtx

We all do, just not every post.

My point exactly!

Oh, and Aslan - actually, I have no idea how that even happened!

Bunny, my apologies. I feel responsible that this thread has apparently been hijacked. I think it's great that you get to work with Mark. I like my coach, but I would still like to work with Mark, as I think we can always improve. I still say you are soooo lucky! You go girl!

And in that being said...I will not respond any longer to this thread unless it has to do with this original post!

austin
03-15-2014, 07:52 PM
One last question for the Iceman and I will lay the subject to rest. If raw talent is all you need to succeed once the fundamentals have been learnt, then why do all the professionals for just about every sport still employ coaches even at the highest level.

noeymc
03-15-2014, 09:48 PM
One last question for the Iceman and I will lay the subject to rest. If raw talent is all you need to succeed once the fundamentals have been learnt, then why do all the professionals for just about every sport still employ coaches even at the highest level.

cuz even the best mess there forum up and start a bad habit

Bunny
03-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Bunny, my apologies. I feel responsible that this thread has apparently been hijacked. I think it's great that you get to work with Mark. I like my coach, but I would still like to work with Mark, as I think we can always improve. I still say you are soooo lucky! You go girl!

No worries CG. Your response was incredibly insightful, intelligent, and funny. A class act all the way!!

I hope you can do Camp Bakes. It's a fantastic opportunity to work with the best and brightest in the sport.

Go for it! You deserve it!! :)

Mudpuppy
03-25-2014, 02:37 PM
I think it is reasonably priced for what you get. I just can't pay $1,500 for Yamaha Pro School and $1,150 for Camp Bake. Unless I want to pay $5,000 to a lawyer for a divorce settlement. In case you didn't see the "scores" thread I now have 5 kids. MP cannot afford riding, bowling and child support on a whole platoon - cheaper to keep her now.

Aslan
03-25-2014, 05:49 PM
I think it is reasonably priced for what you get. I just can't pay $1,500 for Yamaha Pro School and $1,150 for Camp Bake. Unless I want to pay $5,000 to a lawyer for a divorce settlement. In case you didn't see the "scores" thread I now have 5 kids. MP cannot afford riding, bowling and child support on a whole platoon - cheaper to keep her now.

If you want a lower priced option; I have a bowling camp I put on every year...only $5 a person. You don't get a free ball or good bowling advice though...I just stand around and make fun of you.

Mudpuppy
03-27-2014, 03:06 PM
If you want a lower priced option; I have a bowling camp I put on every year...only $5 a person. You don't get a free ball or good bowling advice though...I just stand around and make fun of you.

Sign me up. Is the weather any good there in California? I tried to look it up but my screen is frozen and I can't read the numbers.