PDA

View Full Version : Pivot step question

zdawg
03-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm focusing on getting more power into my slide off the pivot step, and noticed this week my ankle, specifically the ligaments on the front/front right of the ankle are becoming increasingly more and more sore.

I also noticed today, that the inside part of my right shoe, to the left of my big toe, is wearing down to a point which startled me when I noticed it :(. Apparently when I push off my pivot step and kick my leg to the left that is the part of my foot that is in contact with and/or "drags" across the lane, which I believe is causing the pain and the "eating away" of the inside part of the shoe.

I'm guessing that the outside (right side) of my right foot should be the part that is dragging across the lane? Its something I never really paid attention to and doesn't appear to be discussed much unless I missed it. Just wanted to get some verification, as I'm fairly sure that's what is causing the pain and obviously eating up my shoe.

classygranny
03-12-2014, 10:30 PM
I noticed some pain in my ankle and on top of my foot when I was working with my coach on my pivot step. I had to wrap my ankle/foot for awhile (couldn't bowl with it wrapped as my shoe didn't fit), but it seemed to get use to the new motion/strain after about a month or so. Wish I had known about compression sleeves at the time, as I would have tried one.

What my coach explained is that when we try and strengthen that pivot step we tend to keep the toe straight down/or the bottom of the toes with our foot bent down on the approach in order to keep the power from the pivot step into the slide. I had been dragging the top of my shoe...like my toes were top down to the approach before I started this, and I would wear the top of my shoe. Now I seem to wear a bit of the sole away on the right front side of the shoe. I figure if I like what I'm doing, and it works well - I can replace shoes if I need to. Although, I will say, as time has progressed, I don't seem to have as much wear after the initial wear-down.

Hope this doesn't confuse anyone, but it's a hard concept to convey in words.

zdawg
03-13-2014, 01:01 AM
I noticed some pain in my ankle and on top of my foot when I was working with my coach on my pivot step. I had to wrap my ankle/foot for awhile (couldn't bowl with it wrapped as my shoe didn't fit), but it seemed to get use to the new motion/strain after about a month or so. Wish I had known about compression sleeves at the time, as I would have tried one.

Ok that makes sense, this just started this week as I've been consciously focused on imparting more power from my pivot step, so the ankle is probably just experiencing a new amount of force.

What my coach explained is that when we try and strengthen that pivot step we tend to keep the toe straight down/or the bottom of the toes with our foot bent down on the approach in order to keep the power from the pivot step into the slide. I had been dragging the top of my shoe...like my toes were top down to the approach before I started this, and I would wear the top of my shoe. Now I seem to wear a bit of the sole away on the right front side of the shoe. I figure if I like what I'm doing, and it works well - I can replace shoes if I need to. Although, I will say, as time has progressed, I don't seem to have as much wear after the initial wear-down.

Yeah, I think that's the key is to be pushing off with the right or outside part of the foot rather than the inside which is what I'm doing. Again, never really gave it much thought until the pain started.

On another note, I've noticed just about every pro on the 10 pin analysis video kicks their leg up into the air rather than drag it, anybody know why that is? Just curious as I've done that too on occasion not really on purpose it just sometimes happens.

tccstudent
03-13-2014, 01:42 AM
. Now I seem to wear a bit of the sole away on the right front side of the shoe. I figure if I like what I'm doing, and it works well - I can replace shoes if I need to. Although, I will say, as time has progressed, I don't seem to have as much wear after the initial wear-down.

I wear Dexter SST 8's and about every year and a half I have to replace the rubber sole on my non slide foot due to the wear that you are talking about.

zdawg
03-13-2014, 02:07 AM
I wear Dexter SST 8's and about every year and a half I have to replace the rubber sole on my non slide foot due to the wear that you are talking about.

I'm gonna have to look at shoes with replaceable soles for my next pair I think, I bought these right at the beginning of my league when I had no idea about anything, just found a pair on bowlingball that looked good and ordered them. Later on I found out about shoes with replaceable soles.

noeymc
03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
my guess is you never really worked the your ankle in that movement so its not use it thus sore