PDA

View Full Version : How do you walk to the foul line when playing deep?

Hammer
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
There seems to be two ways to walk to the foul line when playing deep. Let's say that your slide foot is on board 35. Do you walk straight to the foul line and have an inside out swing like the pros to hit the 4th arrow(board 20) or do you walk on a slight angle towards the 4th arrow to hit it?

Some folks say that you should walk straight to the foul line to hit your target arrow when playing deep. The thought is that if you walk towards your target which let's say is on the right side that you will be walking into your swing and your swing will end up trying to go around your body to do it. It seems to me that if you are going to make your approach going to the right to hit your target that the angle you use should be a slight angle otherwise you will be going into the right gutter.

I notice when I have my slide foot on board 25 and I throw my ball my ball goes anywhere from board 10 to board 15 and this is with me walking straight to the foul line. This tells me that I have an inside out swing otherwise the ball wouldn't be bellying out to the 10 board. When I swing my ball I am swinging it straight to the foul line. What makes the ball go out to the 10 board instead of straight down the 19 board is the lateral bend to the ball side of my body so when I swing the ball back it stays close to my body and under my head.

On the forward swing my ball side arm comes closer to my body and sliding leg and because my hand stays on the inside lower quadrant of the ball until the release area the path of the ball is more out to the left(I am left handed) which makes it belly out instead of going straight. Plus before I start my approach my shoulders and hips are opened up slightly to the foul line and not parallel to the foul line like old school technique.

So you can walk straight and have your ball go out to your target either left or right when playing deep. When playing deep do you walk straight to the foul line and shoot over your target arrow or do you have more success walking slightly toward your target arrow to swing and release your ball to hit your target? I have seen crankers walk left towards the left gutter and throw right to mhit the third or fourth arrow. At 67 years old you won't see me doing that anytime soon. I guess walking straight or on a slight angle to your target depends on how deep you are playing and what target arrow you are throwing over and how flexible you are.

tr33frog
03-14-2014, 05:49 PM
I walk straight, but always thought that walking towards the target made sense in my head. Just never wanted to try it.

Hammer
03-14-2014, 06:51 PM
I notice that when I am shooting at the 7 pin-I am a lefty- I use my urethane ball and I am even with the right gutter and I walk on a very slight angle left and throw over the area between the 3rd and 4th arrow from the left. I tried that with my stronger ball throwing over the same area and the ball dove to the pocket. If I try that walking straight so my slide foot slides toward the right gutter it seems harder for me to hit that 4th arrow(board 20). Maybe being 67 and not having the flexibility of when I was younger has something to do with it. So it seems for me anyway that if I play really deep from board 34 to 40 I need a slight angle approach to hit my target to the left instead of walking straight to the foul line. What technique do you use on your approach when playing deep?

swingset
03-14-2014, 06:55 PM
I walk to the target when playing beyond 25. It works for me, but it's what you can do consistent.

noeymc
03-15-2014, 02:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2GgN_RC7M

i do all the moments bill murry does

Aslan
03-17-2014, 02:39 PM
I have recently had trouble adjusting for left side spare leaves when starting out right of center (playing the 4-10 boards). Using the 4-8-12 method...if I'm on the left side of the ball return...starting at the 3-4 board with my left heel puts me right on top the ball return. I've had to move in front of the ball return and go with a 3-step approach in those situations...which I don't like.

I had the same problem trying to play "inside". If I'm starting out on board 27...and I leave the 10...and I move over 12 boards left...I'm on the edge of my lane throwing over the gutter...or on the right side...I'm on top of the ball return.

It makes me think that the old "lateral movement" philosophies took for granted that most bowlers started out around center dot...playing up that 2nd arrow.

classygranny
03-17-2014, 06:44 PM
I have recently had trouble adjusting for left side spare leaves when starting out right of center (playing the 4-10 boards). Using the 4-8-12 method...if I'm on the left side of the ball return...starting at the 3-4 board with my left heel puts me right on top the ball return. I've had to move in front of the ball return and go with a 3-step approach in those situations...which I don't like.

I had the same problem trying to play "inside". If I'm starting out on board 27...and I leave the 10...and I move over 12 boards left...I'm on the edge of my lane throwing over the gutter...or on the right side...I'm on top of the ball return.

It makes me think that the old "lateral movement" philosophies took for granted that most bowlers started out around center dot...playing up that 2nd arrow.

Another good reason to shot spares with plastic...no need for drastic angles that involve the ball return getting in the way.

But in regards to walking...I walk my normal straight path, but open the hips and shoulders more as I move my feet left.

Aslan
03-18-2014, 02:52 PM
I've "heard" you walk the striaght line...but make sure when you release that you're facing your target.

Hammer
03-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Tonight on league night I had my sliding foot arch on boards 30 to 33. I had my feet and hips straight and my shoulders open and walked straight to the foul line. I would throw my ball over third arrow out to about the five or seven board breakpoint. I swing the ball straight to the foul line on my approach. On the forward swing with the ball side lateral bend of my body the swing goes closer to my body and because my hand is on the inside of the ball with the ring finger leading the shot it ends up giving me a slight inside out swing which makes my ball hit my target arrow out to the left-I am left handed-instead of going straight like you think it should do.

I am glad I changed the surface of my ball from 2000 Abralon dull to 4000 Abralon polished. It is just so much easier to controll on our THS
pattern. I would never have thought that I would be playing this deep and throwing out to the gutter and have the ball go flying back to the pocket with such solid hits.

Mike White
03-23-2014, 02:05 AM

This is another reason for using a plastic ball.

You should use for your spares, either the 3rd, or 4th arrow for both left, and right side spares.

Your strike target will vary frequently.

In a practice session, figure out where to stand so when you hit your spare target, your ball hits the 4-7 area. That will be your left side reference point.

Then figure out where to stand, hitting the same target, the ball hits the 6-10 area. That will be your right side reference point.

If you use a plastic ball and throw it straight, those reference points won't change based on lane conditions.

Now if you leave a spare where you need the ball to hit in the 2-4 area, place your feet 4 boards left of your left side reference point., if you need to hit the 1-2 area, place your feet 8 boards left instead of 4.

Likewise, if you need the ball to hit the 3-6 area, place your feet 4 boards right of your right side reference point. If for whatever reason you want to throw the ball straight at the 1-3 area, move your feet 8 right of your right side reference point.

If you leave something like a 2-8, or 3-9, you need the ball to be driving into the back pin, and that means you need your strike ball, and adjust off your strike line. That also means your shot is going to be lane condition sensitive.

GeoLes
03-26-2014, 03:59 PM
I try to approach spare shooting through board arrow 25 whenever possible. That means I simply spot the pin on the deck with respect to board 25 and spot my ball on the apprach equal distance on the other side. That means, if I am looking at a three pin leave on the pin deck, I spot my ball over the two pin on the approach, walk to my target and Just roll the ball through 25 and you are right on.

For left-side spares, sometimes the lane and be a tad dry producing a little natural hook even in my urethane ball. I simply offset 5 boards right (I walk my ball to 25, but actually release it at 20. at the end of the oil pattern the slight break brings it back to the pin.

For ball-return side spares I spot through 20 instead of 25 since it is easier and more accurate than drifting left on the approach to get to 25 alignment.