PDA

View Full Version : Thumb calluses problem

atty_hen05
03-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Good day to all,

I have a problem with my thumb. It already has calluses and because of this, it got a little bigger affecting my release. I sometimes release the ball way too late that it missed my mark for 4 to 5 boards to the left of the head pin. I bowl RH by the way. Even worse, sometimes it get stuck. My thumb hole was a good fit and I am not having problems with my release before until it developed this thick skin on both sides.

Any advice?

TIA

bowl1820
03-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Good day to all,

I have a problem with my thumb. It already has calluses and because of this, it got a little bigger affecting my release. I sometimes release the ball way too late that it missed my mark for 4 to 5 boards to the left of the head pin. I bowl RH by the way. Even worse, sometimes it get stuck. My thumb hole was a good fit and I am not having problems with my release before until it developed this thick skin on both sides.

Any advice?

TIA

Do you have a round or oval thumbhole? if round you should go to a oval (If they can't do ovals, try a oval insert.) and/or try opening the hole up some.

http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fig10a.jpg
Lack of flesh between first and second thumb joints
Hole Too Tight
Round Hole Drilled - should be Oval

Aslan
03-19-2014, 07:14 PM
I get a callous on the inside of my thumb. I've been told it's because I'm gripping the ball too tightly.

It's sort of a revolving door thing...because I grip too tight, the thumb swells, I get a bigger thumbhole, then it's too loose so I grip harder. Ughhh....

Blacksox1
03-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Solution that I used. Interchangeable Thumb. Try it ! It can be fitted for a ball that is already drilled. The inner piece can be used on all your equipment to get the same fit. The best part is the cost is low enough you can have two or three fitted sizes in case of weather, swelling, high blood pressure or any reason ! Usually will increase your average, if you are into improving.

bowl1820
03-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Solution that I used. Interchangeable Thumb. Try it ! It can be fitted for a ball that is already drilled. The inner piece can be used on all your equipment to get the same fit. The best part is the cost is low enough you can have two or three fitted sizes in case of weather, swelling, high blood pressure or any reason ! Usually will increase your average, if you are into improving.

Can be a good solution, once you know what the problem is in the first place.

atty_hen05
03-19-2014, 10:42 PM
I am already using a Interchangeable Thumb hole. I already have a wider thumb hole insert in case my usual hole is too tight. The problem is, its too loose. My ball is dropping at the swing. my team mate told me to just remove the thumb tape and I got a good fit enough for the hole.

larry mc
03-19-2014, 11:20 PM
maybe try a different driller , also ive heard great things about the tri-grip

Markb
03-20-2014, 08:35 AM
my thumb changes size often depending on things ike body temp, room temp, stress, beer, ibruprofin, etc etc...
and top it off I get clammy hands so my release always felt odd if I had a snugged up thumb hole.

what I do now is an oval thumb slug with a vent hole, red hada on my thumb, and I use the black tape in the ball for snugness on the backthumb side. this helps me, (or makes me think) I can have a nice tight thumbhole and I eliminate 1/2 the thumb skin contact to the inside of the ball because of the hada, so less clamminess. I don't knuckle the ball, and it is tight, and with a smooth release. front of thumb is right on slug. not a fan of white textured tape.

Aslan
03-20-2014, 02:09 PM
maybe try a different driller , also ive heard great things about the tri-grip

I've actually had bigger callous issues with tri-grip than with standard. Again, I think it's because I'm gripping to tightly (i.e. nothing to do with tri-grip) and bending my thumb in the hole...or perhaps the thumbhole is a little too big...but yeah, I agree with Bowl1820 that once you figure out what you could be doing that is contributing to the problem...there are lots of solutions.

Mike White
03-20-2014, 11:21 PM
I've actually had bigger callous issues with tri-grip than with standard. Again, I think it's because I'm gripping to tightly (i.e. nothing to do with tri-grip) and bending my thumb in the hole...or perhaps the thumbhole is a little too big...but yeah, I agree with Bowl1820 that once you figure out what you could be doing that is contributing to the problem...there are lots of solutions.

I figure your thumb problems with the tri-grip were due to allergies. It was a plastic ball.