PDA

View Full Version : Roto Grip Asylum review by Sean Baker

seanbaker
03-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Roto Grip Asylum
Right Handed
Experience Advanced (I have bowled in a league and hold a PBA Card)
League Average 220
Ball Speed Medium 15-16mph
Style Cranker
PAP 5 over 1/4" up

PSA Layout - 4" x 4" x 2"
Balance Hole - yes

Surface Preparation - Out of Box (300 Grit Abralon pad)

What I Was Looking For from this ball: I wanted the Asylum to be a benchmark ball for me and to be very strong through the midlane and continue all the way to the backend. I wanted the hybrid coverstock and weight block combination to give me just that.

What I Ended Up With in the Ball and Layout: I ended up with a hook monster for me. I literally went to the pro shop and polished this bad boy before I continued testing it out. For me its mean and I mean very aggressive on the backend.

I tested this ball on a fresh pattern at my local center. The centers lanes are wood and the house shot isnt easy. The shot tends to hook early in the middle of the lanes and hang right if you get the ball too far out. Over the course of 5 games, I started at my normal area which is around 15 and threw out to 8. Well, this ball was a bit too much for this line and I had to throw lots harder than normal to play it. However, When I kept my speed up, it hit like a Mack Truck. Over the next 5 games I moved left and deeper on the lane. With our shot tending to hook more when you got deep, I was very impressed by how this ball held its line with a good continuous motion throughout the front part of the lane and came back off my breakpoint with authority! For the rest of my practice session with this ball, I moved back right and started sending the Asylum out further to the right than I normally play flirting with our out of bounds area. I quickly found out that I dont have much of an out of bounds with this ball. I am very impressed!

Overall: Once again a fantastic Roto Grip ball! VERY strong! I will definately make sure to have this ball with me wherever I go and start out with it. One of the hardest hitting balls I have thrown in a while and a great looking ball. I will have to keep mine polished, but thats because of my slower speed. Most players can probably throw it OTB. Anyone looking for an aggressive ball with a great look, buy this! Roto Grip hit it out of the park with this one.

Sean Baker
Storm/Roto Grip Staff
Paducah, Ky 42003