PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a plastic ball or other ball for spare pickup?

Hammer
03-26-2014, 02:07 PM
I just use my urethane ball for spare pickup. It has the pin above the ring finger and has a layout to go long. I am left handed and when I go for the 7 pin I break my wrist back a little and throw it so it has the slightest of hook on it to keep it from going into the gutter. My position on the approach is my slide foot is even with the right gutter and I throw over a spot between the 3rd and 4th arrow from the left. Usually anything from the 5 pin left is taken care of with my urethane ball. Anything from the 6 pin right I use my reactive resin ball.

My urethane ball has a 2000 Abralon dull surface. My reactive resin ball has the pin below the ring finger and has a 4000 Abralon surface with a slick polish coating. I had the surface change on the reactive resin ball because it was too wild on our THS pattern with the 2000 Abralon dull surface. I felt sometimes like I was throwing a boomerang. What name brand ball and surface do you use for spare pickup?

Doghouse Reilly
03-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Darn hasn't this been beaten to death in the The spare ball debate thread and other spare ball threads?

Hammer
03-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Now that you mentioned it it has. OOPS! Please ignore if you want to unless you are new here and want to make a comment. You folks that have been here a while can just roll your eyes and think is this guy kidding or what? YIKES!

noeymc
03-27-2014, 10:02 AM
search threads to read old threads you will find almost everything and anything has been covered

Aslan
03-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Popular topic. It comes up about once a month.

I have no comment.

Hammer
03-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Now that I think about it what hasn't been covered on this bowling forum? We have just talked about everything. We are going to run out of things to talk about. The new folks here won't have a problem.

Mudpuppy
03-27-2014, 02:42 PM
We haven't discussed 2 handed bowling with scented storm balls have we? Or Iceman's 2 games of 300. :cool:

Hammer
03-27-2014, 04:43 PM
This has been talked about so much that when the folks that have been here a while took a look at my post they probably rolled their eyes and heard crickets chirping in the background. LOL.

Blacksox1
03-28-2014, 01:24 AM
We haven't discussed 2 handed bowling with scented storm balls have we? Or Iceman's 2 games of 300. :cool:
ha ha ! good one ! BTW my spare ball is the newer version of the blue hammer 15#.

Blacksox1
03-28-2014, 01:26 AM
Is Iceman at Band Camp ? Does anyone know ?

Aslan
03-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Is Iceman at Band Camp ? Does anyone know ?

Every time he disappears, I figure it's 70% that he got pissed off about someone's post or 30% that he died. He's in pretty good shape...so I guess it's more 80/20.

But this happens. The older folks have trouble with the "interweb" because people can just say whatever they want and talk about things that simply are inappropriate in the eyes of the older generation. They also have a weird fetish for dictatorship in that if you disagree with them or say something they feel is inappropriate....you should not be allowed to talk any more. It's kinda what I figure most retirement home activity rooms are like.

I figure Iceman will return eventually (if he's still alive). He just needs time to get over some random comment about what brand of underwear is superior because someone said "Hanes" and he's a "Fruit of the Loom" man....so it just really shocked him and turned his world upside down.

I HOPE he returns though. Without him, I'm the sole balck sheep. And thats just not as fun. I need, once in awhile, a break from being the villain. Like when Iceman exclaimed that real bowlers don't wear wrist supports or when he started "Bowling Internet Site Wars"....those were CLASSIC. Bowl1820 probably didn't think so. But CLASSIC! ANd it allowed me to take a break from getting kicked in the groin for my uneducated and dangerous opinions about spare balls and 2-handed bowlers and Pete Weber.

Mudpuppy
03-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Well he better come back soon is all I am saying. He is a large percentage of the entertainment here. Couple more days and I will have to call in the SWAT team to flush him out.

vdubtx
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Well he better come back soon is all I am saying. He is a large percentage of the entertainment here. Couple more days and I will have to call in the SWAT team to flush him out.

LOL.

ON topic, yes, I do use a plastic ball but only for right side spares an a house shot. Sport shots I will use it for all.

sprocket
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
I have answered before but I use an IQ Tour Pearl for right side spares and any other spares I want to throw straight at. I bought the ball used, redrilled it, moved the weight hole and still hate the reaction for a strike ball. I am out of redrills. It does however, fit my hand like a glove and I therefore use it for spares with my thumb in.

It hooks just a little. Sunday I bowled 14 games of practice. I never missed a single spare with that ball. I chopped a few combination spares with my strike ball. I must have left around 20 ten pins and I made them all. There were a couple I would have missed with plastic. This ball hooks just enough to hang on with 10 pin shots that get too close to the gutter. I picked up the 6-7 once. I also picked that split up on league last week. The slight hook allows me to throw it straight up the right at the 6-7 and it hooks just enough to clip more of the side of the 6 pin.

swingset
03-31-2014, 04:11 PM
I use plastic for right-side spares, some left-sides depending on pattern. Works for me, I was a 50% 10-pin shooter with a reactive ball, once I switched and got comfortable shooting that side I'm in the 90%+ range most leagues.

Aslan
04-01-2014, 02:34 AM
I reserve the right to possibly change my answer after a few of the misses I had this evening.

Hammer
04-01-2014, 08:54 PM
For as much as this topic has been talked about it is surprising how many looks this post has received. Maybe there were a lot of folks that haven't seen this topic posted before.

Mike White
04-02-2014, 11:53 AM
For as much as this topic has been talked about it is surprising how many looks this post has received. Maybe there were a lot of folks that haven't seen this topic posted before.

If I use plastic for my strike shot, 15 out to 5 and back, what should I use for spares? Teflon?

Aslan
04-02-2014, 02:51 PM

I highly doubt that.

I just think some dead horses are fun to beat....kinda like the old inflateable Godzilla dolls.

I mean, what more can be said? Plastic for spares...99.7% of pros do it....it's an automatic game changer. And they come in "Hello Kitty" designs....it's a no brainer.

Hammer
04-02-2014, 03:34 PM
I highly doubt that.

I just think some dead horses are fun to beat....kinda like the old inflateable Godzilla dolls.

I mean, what more can be said? Plastic for spares...99.7% of pros do it....it's an automatic game changer. And they come in "Hello Kitty" designs....it's a no brainer.

Hey Aslan! You are a pretty funny guy when you aren't talking about bowling technique.

CaptainXeroid
04-07-2014, 11:52 PM
There's a search feature on this site too.:cool: Didn't see that coming.

I use a Columbia 300 White Dot for all right side and most spares without a sleeper. I kill the hook and try to hit it dead center. Nothing fancy...just fill frames.

What I also didn't see coming was the passion some of the spare ball threads dredged up. The key is to do what you feel comfortable to knock down the remaining pins...change balls, throw faster, kill the hook, or any combination of these. Telling other people they're doing it wrong is only useful is you're picking up more spares than they are or on the internet.

Aslan
04-08-2014, 12:39 PM
What I also didn't see coming was the passion some of the spare ball threads dredged up.

*&$%....this is nothing. The FIRST time this topic came up (this is thread #3 or #4 in the past year)....lets just say daggers were flying. I was actually told my opinion NOT to use a plastic ball was a "danger to new bowlers". :p

But this is nothing, go ahead and knock 2-handed bowling....THEN you're gonna see some PASSION!!! :mad:

I think the reason why this thread isn't as bad/passionate is the issue has already been argued to death..the dead horse has been kicked into futility by now.

Mike White
04-08-2014, 02:17 PM
*&$%....this is nothing. The FIRST time this topic came up (this is thread #3 or #4 in the past year)....lets just say daggers were flying. I was actually told my opinion NOT to use a plastic ball was a "danger to new bowlers". :p

But this is nothing, go ahead and knock 2-handed bowling....THEN you're gonna see some PASSION!!! :mad:

I think the reason why this thread isn't as bad/passionate is the issue has already been argued to death..the dead horse has been kicked into futility by now.

Maybe because this time nobody used the argument....

"I've been bowling for 3 weeks now, based on my experience, and the fact that my strike ball goes straight, nobody should need a plastic ball for spares, it's a waste of money."

Aslan
04-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Maybe because this time nobody used the argument....

"I've been bowling for 3 weeks now, based on my experience, and the fact that my strike ball goes straight, nobody should need a plastic ball for spares, it's a waste of money."

That wasn't the arguement. Also, the USBC called and said to watch their video where they spend half the time on spare shooting talking about using the strike ball and lateral movement. So maybe after 3 weeks I was just WAY smarter than the rest of you. :cool:

Again, I think the need for a "spare ball" depends on what type of arsenal you have. Before we were fighting about the spare ball, we were fighting about whether or not a casual bowler needed a 7-ball roller filled with their arsenal. And I still contend that if you have a 7-ball arsenal...then you probably should have ONE of those 7 balls be something that doesn't hook so much you can't use it to pick up a spare. Now, if you have ONE strike ball...and it hooks like a madman...then I concede that maybe a straighter ball (reactive resin, urethane, plastic, etc...) would be a good addition.

And I wasn't the only one that uses a strike ball as a spare ball...if I remember correctly...Mr. Smarty Pants. And for the record....I now USE a spare ball....it's just a low hook reactive resin rather than a urethane or plastic...but now that I went from a hybrid coverstock to a solid coverstock...a "spare ball" has become necessary. But as soon as I mentioned coverstocks I lost 75% of the audience and Mudpuppy has his hands over his ears yelling "LA LA LA I can't hear you!! I go on feel and gut reaction...LA LA LA...numbers...loud noises...!!"

ETA: And also...that arguement that new bowlers shouldn't have opinions is a slippery slope. I'm not saying you should let someone be wrong without correcting them...but much of this banter is "opinion"; not concrete fact. And if ya start saying new bowlers shouldn't be able to be passionate about their opinions (informed or less informed); then the question becomes, "What average do I have to have in order to have an opinion?" And thats a valid question. There are "other sites" where newer bowlers are a lot less tolerated...but remember...the PBA is dieing. We need to start opening up to some new and young voices rather than sit around like curmudgeons telling the new guys to "speak when spoken to."

bowl1820
04-08-2014, 10:37 PM
That wasn't the arguement. Also, the USBC called and said to watch their video where they spend half the time on spare shooting talking about using the strike ball and lateral movement. So maybe after 3 weeks I was just WAY smarter than the rest of you. :cool:

While they did talk about using the strike ball for picking up spares.

You left out the sections where they did talk about using a plastic spare ball and it's advantages. Which were: it doesn't hook, it takes the lane conditions out of play and once you have your spare system down it will work anywhere.

And of the the two options, If all you did was bowl at one house, the same shot every week. Then using your strike ball for shooting spares was okay.

But if you were bowling tournaments, different houses, conditions, then the plastic ball was the better option.

jnv32185
04-09-2014, 06:51 AM
I do not use a plastic spare ball. I have been thinking about getting one. I have been using my strike ball for so long for spares that I am pretty good at it and it has been so long since I threw a straight ball I do not know how well I would do with one. I do have a question for anyone who would like to answer. I realize this might sound silly but do you use fingertips on a plastic spare ball or a conventional grip? I have used fingertips since I was 10 and can not even remember ever using a plastic ball.

bowl1820
04-09-2014, 07:56 AM
I do have a question for anyone who would like to answer. I realize this might sound silly but do you use fingertips on a plastic spare ball or a conventional grip?

You would use the same grip you have on your other ball.

Mudpuppy
04-09-2014, 10:00 AM
The plastic ball I have is drilled out identical to my main ball - finger tips and all. I just don't ever use it - just because I don't feel like carrying a third ball to the bowling alley. I have 3 main balls that I use and I can rotate depending on conditions.

Aslan
04-09-2014, 12:14 PM
While they did talk about using the strike ball for picking up spares.

You left out the sections where they did talk about using a plastic spare ball and it's advantages. Which were: it doesn't hook, it takes the lane conditions out of play and once you have your spare system down it will work anywhere.

And of the the two options, If all you did was bowl at one house, the same shot every week. Then using your strike ball for shooting spares was okay.

But if you were bowling tournaments, different houses, conditions, then the plastic ball was the better option.

Again, I understand the need for it and potential advantages. I spelled out where one might be beneficial as did the USBC video. I'm merely saying that it's not an automatic no-brainer as people who were vehemently arguing with me in earlier threads were making it out to be and my "unqualified opinion" actually did have some merit.

Also, I presume when we're giving advice, unless specified otherwise, we are giving advice to the 85% of bowlers that never bowl outside their home center except for an occasional sweeps or cosmic bowling in a nearby town. Even I'm sure Rob M. would agree...one difficulty with offering bowling advice (such as his modern release or Joe Slowinski's DYDS) is that advice will change depending on who is asking the question. Arsenals, spare balls, modern releases....all great advice for the 15% of bowlers at that level. Not as good advice for beginners or novice players bowling in beer leagues in one center. Do you agree?

Mudpuppy
04-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Again, I understand the need for it and potential advantages. I spelled out where one might be beneficial as did the USBC video. I'm merely saying that it's not an automatic no-brainer as people who were vehemently arguing with me in earlier threads were making it out to be and my "unqualified opinion" actually did have some merit.

Also, I presume when we're giving advice, unless specified otherwise, we are giving advice to the 85% of bowlers that never bowl outside their home center except for an occasional sweeps or cosmic bowling in a nearby town. Even I'm sure Rob M. would agree...one difficulty with offering bowling advice (such as his modern release or Joe Slowinski's DYDS) is that advice will change depending on who is asking the question. Arsenals, spare balls, modern releases....all great advice for the 15% of bowlers at that level. Not as good advice for beginners or novice players bowling in beer leagues in one center. Do you agree?

Isn't this what I was saying before when you argued against me and how I said knowing RG, coverstocks, etc. is useless knowledge to the majority of THS bowlers?

Aslan
04-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Isn't this what I was saying before when you argued against me and how I said knowing RG, coverstocks, etc. is useless knowledge to the majority of THS bowlers?

Yes. And I agree with you on all the points you made except one. IF a person is going to have an ARSENAL....or more than maybe 1-2 balls....then they should understand bowling ball specifications. Since I don't feel 85% of bowlers need arsenals...we are in agreement that 85% of bowlers don't need to know what an RG is. However...where we disagreed was that you thought arsenals were perfectly fine for casual bowlers yet didn't see the need for said casual bowlers to understand ball specifications. I feel that it's either one or the other. If you're at the level where an arsenal is of value...then knowing ball specifications is of value. If you're not interested in ball specfications, then you are mis-using your "arsenal" or at least not using it to it's optimal level.

Agreed?

Mudpuppy
04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Yes. And I agree with you on all the points you made except one. IF a person is going to have an ARSENAL....or more than maybe 1-2 balls....then they should understand bowling ball specifications. Since I don't feel 85% of bowlers need arsenals...we are in agreement that 85% of bowlers don't need to know what an RG is. However...where we disagreed was that you thought arsenals were perfectly fine for casual bowlers yet didn't see the need for said casual bowlers to understand ball specifications. I feel that it's either one or the other. If you're at the level where an arsenal is of value...then knowing ball specifications is of value. If you're not interested in ball specfications, then you are mis-using your "arsenal" or at least not using it to it's optimal level.

Agreed?

No. I said I thought arsenals are of no value to THS league bowler. And neither is ball specs. My opinion only.

Aslan
04-09-2014, 01:58 PM
No. I said I thought arsenals are of no value to THS league bowler. And neither is ball specs. My opinion only.

Then we are in perfect allignment. Now if we can get MWhite to agree with Rob M. on something, maybe we can eventually tackle the Middle East peace process.

Mudpuppy
04-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Then we are in perfect alignment. Now if we can get MWhite to agree with Rob M. on something, maybe we can eventually tackle the Middle East peace process.

I guess we can count on war, as it has been for thousands of years, in the middle east.

jnv32185
04-12-2014, 09:30 AM
As far as plastic spare balls is it better to have something like a white dot or tzone or something like hammer true blood that is still plastic but has the first blood core?

Mike White
04-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Then we are in perfect allignment. Now if we can get MWhite to agree with Rob M. on something, maybe we can eventually tackle the Middle East peace process.

How about if Rob M disagrees with a 3rd person, and I disagree with the same 3rd person, but for different reasons than Rob M?

Is that close enough?

The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Mike White
04-12-2014, 02:06 PM
As far as plastic spare balls is it better to have something like a white dot or tzone or something like hammer true blood that is still plastic but has the first blood core?

The True Blood, while plastic is designed to have flare, which increases hook potential.

The goal of a spare ball is to not have it change direction just before it gets to the pins.

I'd say go with a White Dot, T-Zone, or Maxim.

Plus they are less expensive than the True Blood.

jnv32185
04-12-2014, 08:06 PM
The True Blood, while plastic is designed to have flare, which increases hook potential.

The goal of a spare ball is to not have it change direction just before it gets to the pins.

Ok that makes sense. I think I will be looking into a White Dot in the near future. Thanks for the advice.

Hammer
04-13-2014, 08:11 PM
I still think that the urethane Blue Hammer ball is a good spare ball. With the right surface and layout it can be your spare ball or your strike ball on a THS pattern.

Aslan
04-13-2014, 09:58 PM

Gotta agree with Mike here. Not only do I think bowling ball to bowling ball is rather insignificant…DEFINITELY plastic to plastic is ridiculously unimportant. You can throw a Hello Kitty Vis-a-Ball or any other solid, round, chunk of plastic…the whole point is when throwing a plastic ball it shouldn't matter what it is.

GoodGravy
04-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Plastic for either corner pins or goofy 6-10, 2-6-10. Anything in the middle I use my main ball..

mike_thomas93
04-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Anything on the left side I mostly throw a hook ball at, and on the right I use my pretty white ball. Viz-A-Ball spare ball, that is :p :)
But I remember in my last practice I left converted a 2-4-10 split, and I used one of my strike balls. I didn't even expect to make it :p

RobLV1
04-22-2014, 08:49 AM
I really like the idea of learning to throw a plastic ball end-over-end and using it for all of your non-double wood spares for the simple reason that you are, in effect, practicing your ten pin conversions every time you attempt to convert a spare. If you do this, pretty soon your ten pins will become just another single pin spare conversion and not something that you'll worry about missing.

Perrin
04-22-2014, 09:17 AM
I really like the idea of learning to throw a plastic ball end-over-end and using it for all of your non-double wood spares for the simple reason that you are, in effect, practicing your ten pin conversions every time you attempt to convert a spare. If you do this, pretty soon your ten pins will become just another single pin spare conversion and not something that you'll worry about missing.

That's a great point. Alot of people miss the 10 because they think they will. or just get worked up about having to throw at a corner instead of just thinking of it as another shot

MICHAEL
04-22-2014, 09:31 AM

I agree 1000 percent! I have been throwing most of my spares, NO ALL that way for almost a year now! I call it the palm up method, (not coming up the side of the ball, not doing the hand shake! If you learn to throw it that way, it will help with many spares that can be problematic throwing the hook method. Not only that, but you get to hear that unique sound of the thumb hole hitting the surface as it roles down the lane!!

RobLV1
04-22-2014, 09:49 AM
To understand what Michael is talking about, check out a video of Walter Ray Williams Jr. picking up a spare. You will hear the distinctive thump, thump of the ball rolling over the thumb hole as it goes dead straight down the lane. Perhaps that's how he got the nickname "Deadeye." There is definitely a correlation between the method and the fact that he is probably the best spare shooter of all time, AND has won more titles than any other PBA bowler in history.

Aslan
04-22-2014, 05:29 PM
That's a great point. Alot of people miss the 10 because they think they will. or just get worked up about having to throw at a corner instead of just thinking of it as another shot

For some reason...I "feel" like I'm worse at picking up 10-pins because I have missed so many. But statistically speaking, I convert 50% of my 10-pins and 50% of my 7-pins...exactly 50%. 28/56 on 7-pins and 50/100 on 10-pins. I just tend to leave the 10-pin more often. But it is "scary". I feel a lot more relaxed if it's any other single-pin leave.

RobLV1
04-22-2014, 06:31 PM
The ten pin and the seven pin are like any other single pin spare except you only have 16 1/4" instead of 21 1/4" to cover the spare. That's 1 1/3 feet vs. 1 3/4 feet. John, if you are missing 50% of them, get a spare ball and practice. 50% is flat-out rediculous! It's just not that hard (unless of course you're trying to hook into both of them).

Aslan
04-23-2014, 12:49 AM
The ten pin and the seven pin are like any other single pin spare except you only have 16 1/4" instead of 21 1/4" to cover the spare. That's 1 1/3 feet vs. 1 3/4 feet. John, if you are missing 50% of them, get a spare ball and practice. 50% is flat-out rediculous! It's just not that hard (unless of course you're trying to hook into both of them).

I'm getting better. The 50% goes back quite a ways. I'm closer to 60-80% now.

And getting the plastic ball would be an option…but it depends on "how" you're missing them. I can't pick up a 7-pin more often with a plastic ball if I'm missing it 3 feet in front of the pin.

Where I HAVE seen a possible improvement "perhaps" leading me to use a plastic ball is the 6-10…one of my most common leaves. The "slight hook" of the Slingshot tends to occasionally chop that.

I HAVE a urethane ball…so the opportunity is there to make that change if need be.

Hampe
04-23-2014, 05:45 AM
I generally use a spare ball for everything, even double wood. I don't like relying on my strike ball for certain spares, because if I'm playing in a different center or on different conditions, I don't want to miss spares because my ball didn't react like I expected it to.

I've noticed this year since switching that it also really helps with my mental state when shooting spares. I know all I have to do is hit that spot and I get the spare, which helps me be more confident that I will convert it. If I'm worrying about how I'm going to release the ball and how it's going to react on the part of the lane I'm playing, I'm already worried about missing the spare, which makes me less confident that I'll convert.