PDA

View Full Version : Struggles with the 6-pin…my new enemy...

Aslan
03-31-2014, 03:15 AM
I've noticed lately that I'm leaving a lot of single 6-pins and 6-10s.

Reading up on it, the consensus is that I'm coming in too high (which I think means too far right) and that it's an "angle issue". I have trouble seeing where the 3-pin ends up which might give me more of a clue as to whats going on.

Any textbook reason why a person might leave the 6-pin often? Thanks.

noeymc
03-31-2014, 07:41 AM
just bowl all strikes problem solved

it dont help ur ball speed and rev rate are so low ur ball is prob deflecting yes i understand 16 lb ball but anything can deflect and if ur leaving 6 pins ur entry angle was very bad

remeber the 3 pin should take out the 6 if i am not mistaken

RobLV1
03-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Remember your alignment. Six pins, and six-ten combinations come as a result of crossing over toward the 1-2 pocket rather than the 1-3 pocket. Keep your body, and your armswing in line with your intended target, and you should be able to avoid crossing over.

Mudpuppy
03-31-2014, 09:51 AM
You have to be able to adjust angle quickly to avoid repeats like this - that is really the essence of bowling. Left, right, front, back, foot angle, speed - something. It is the most common thing I see people struggle with. If you see me leave a 7 pin you rarely, if ever, will see me leave a 2nd 7 pin in a row.

Aslan
03-31-2014, 12:15 PM
All good responses. Thanks.

I'm hoping it's (aka like what Mudpuppy and Rob mentioned) a matter of just making an adjustment to my approach/timing/release. I really don't want to have to buy a 3-ball or 4-ball roller bag and create an "arsenal" so that I can always find that perfect angle into the pocket. But believe me...when over 50% of your spares are 6-pins (or multiple pin variations)...it really tempts me to unretire the Frantic to have a ball between the Rhythm and Slingshot. I just really don't "want" to because I'm trying NOT to go back to throwing different weights (Frantic is 15lb).

vdubtx
03-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Typically when you see a 4, a 6 or 6-10 leave is coming in too high in the pocket or as Rob mentioned, crossing over. A move left with your feet can sometimes alleviate this while still rolling over your intended target. Cuts the angle just a little bit.

mc_runner
04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Yep, coming in too high and your ball isn't taking out the 3 pin at the right angle to knock into the 6/10. Quick note though, coming in high refers to coming in too far "left" for a righty - more direct into the headpin than the 1-3 pocket. Like vdub said a small move should do it.

Aslan
04-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Typically when you see a 4, a 6 or 6-10 leave is coming in too high in the pocket or as Rob mentioned, crossing over. A move left with your feet can sometimes alleviate this while still rolling over your intended target. Cuts the angle just a little bit.

Thanks. I'm working on it. Yesterday I switched from a weaker ball up the 8-board to a stronger ball up the 6-board. Then as the lanes got drier and oil moved around, I moved a few boards left of center and threw out over the 12-board. Still was coming in right of the headpin if I didn't get a good release...but I left very few single 6-pins.