PDA

View Full Version : Are ethics still in bowling?

The KingPin
01-12-2009, 10:51 PM
So as you bowl in your leagues or practice, do you find that ethics are still alive and well in bowling? Meaning do you have people running up and throwing balls erratically and causing you problems when you bowl?

What about drunk people. Do you ever have those bowlers who drink a little too much while in a league?

What are some of your thoughts about ethics in bowling these days.

Iceman
01-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Well now, I bowl while I drink. So not sure if I bowl with others that are drunk, I don't watch them. I do understand that there are some while open bowling that have no ideal on the game, but I want to go as close as I can by them while I practice, it helps me focus and concentrate more. If you watching them or paying attention to them running up the sides of you - your not focusing on your game. nuff said.:D

But I do have to say that the differences with kids these days make the difference, no one is taught how to bowl in school. they teach football, soccer, hockey, tennis, volleyball, etc. So no wonder kids come to the bowling alley and have 1 girl try to roll the ball between 6 girls standing on the approach between their legs. The game itself is not what it was when I was young and watching my father bowl. When he bowled a 600, his name was in the newspaper, a 700, he had a local interview, these days, a 900 gets a 10 second promo, and wondering how many "bad" shots did they carry......

NoTapNorm
01-13-2009, 06:17 AM
We've got a couple teams (out of 16) that are notorious for their beer consumption during league. Both teams bowl better the first game, before the alcohol takes effect, but as the night progresses, they dont do as well. There is a contrast between the two teams though, one team is loud, obnoxious and smack talks a lot, while the other is louder than when they started, but not as obnoxious.
We've all bowled with people that drink. But there's always the guy that bowls better the more he drinks.

As far as bowling etiquette, only if they've been taught will they know. If you're practicing during open bowling, and its more than just yourself in the center, you have to be mentally prepared for the distraction. I use the distraction to prepare for league and tournament.

jaws1945
01-13-2009, 11:08 AM
During league bowling the only problem that crops up on occasion is lane courtesy. Other than that I haven't ssen problems,
however mixed leagues can get a little rowdy.
I had a problem at the ABC in Reno, where I had a lady constantly stepping in front of me on the adjacent approach