PDA

View Full Version : What is the longest period of time that you've been the anchor bowler?

Hammer
03-31-2014, 10:36 PM
I have been on this league for 27 years. So, I guess that I have been the anchor bowler on the teams that I have been on for 27 years. My wife and I have gone through three different teammates and team names in that time. Our first team name was Tuna Sandwich then Mutts and Jeffs and the current being Genesis. It is hard to believe that with each team I was voted the ANCHOR. You can say that I have had a lot of experience going up to bowl when we needed a certain number of pins to win the game. I have had times where I was the hero and time that I was the goat.

If we lost my teammates on all of the teams I bowled with never put the blame on me. Each one would say something like if I bowled my average we could have won. Just because you are the anchor that doesn't mean that the whole loss falls on you. How did your other three teammates bowl in that game? You have to look at the big picture. There is no I in team. The effort falls on everyone on the team. It is especially rough if you lose a game by one to ten pins. Then each teammate goes through the if only I didn't miss that spare or opened in the tenth.

There are times when a loss is hard to take but you pull up your bootstraps and go on to the next battle. I never regretted or tried to get out of being the anchor in all of those years. It is really great when your team is losing and you are the last bowler and everyone from your team and the team you are bowling against are watching to see what you will do because the game is close. Then you go up there and throw the first ball in the tenth and it is a strike. Then your second ball is a strike. Now you are really pumped. Now your focus is razor sharp. You make your approach for the third shot and as soon as you let it go you know it is a good shot and you blast the pins for a strike.

You hear your teammates cheer and the opposing team says Oh no! You couldn't feel any better at that time. You came through with flying colors. That won't happen all of the time but when it does the feeling is great. I guess that is why I never gave up being the anchor. Sometimes I look forward to being the last bowler that could either win or lose the game. Life swings both ways good and bad and you have to accept that.

Blacksox1
03-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Hammer, as the anchor, are you also in charge of the pay envelope ? The score sheets ? Anything else ?

noeymc
03-31-2014, 10:43 PM
i try to do different houses each year when i was young i bowled set up guy for my first year then the next 3-4 i anchored i am achor as of right now to and only chocked one time so far

Hammer
03-31-2014, 11:17 PM
Hammer, as the anchor, are you also in charge of the pay envelope ? The score sheets ? Anything else ?

I am most of the time the Captain of the team. Each year we vote for new officers of our Church league. I have been Treasurer and Secretary. All right guys, calm down. I know you got excited about me being secretary. I like being the anchor more.

Mudpuppy
04-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I have been anchor on every team I have been on except for my current Tuesday team and 1 other team I used to bowl on Fridays. And this year I spent 2 weeks at anchor on the Tuesday team because I was the most consistent and highest series bowler for a few weeks (we rotate positions and although we have a full time anchor that can change based on team consensus and the anchor himself is ok with it).

Question Hammer: when you go to bowl your first frame does Phil Collins come on singing "I can feel it in the air tonight...." since your team name is Genesis. That would be awesome - kind of like when a batter comes up in baseball. lol.

mc_runner
04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Love being anchor. I like the pressure and it IS a great feeling when you deliver. At the same time though, you get to take the lumps if/when you mess it up.

vdubtx
04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Thursdays I have always been anchor. Been in that league for the past 8-9 years now I think. I love the pressure of stepping up and needing a double and a few more sticks to win the game. Works out more times than not, but that's how we learn and grow to deal with the pressure.

This past week I totally choked(not afraid to say it- we have all done it). Needed a strike and an 8 count to take the totals lead and give us 3 games, I muffed the delivery of the ball with thumb troubles I was having last week and it just kept going straight down lane leaving a 7 count, knowing we didn't have a chance after I did that I missed the spare conversion too. We ended up splitting the series on position round.

Aslan
04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I'll be anchoring my first team Thursday. Thought about bowling 4th and letting the more experienced guy bowl anchor...but he's been away from bowling for some time so I'll re-evaluate after this season.

swingset
04-01-2014, 04:33 PM
I bowl a lot of different leagues and I'm usually anchor but I seldom bowl scratch/business leagues so being anchor isn't really much of a thing to me...it's not that big of a burden on a fun mixed league.

In tournaments I get it, but I don't feel the need to come through to win anything when half my teem are newbies and we're 6 spots out of first with no hope of winning. lol

Mudpuppy
04-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I bowl a lot of different leagues and I'm usually anchor but I seldom bowl scratch/business leagues so being anchor isn't really much of a thing to me...it's not that big of a burden on a fun mixed league.

In tournaments I get it, but I don't feel the need to come through to win anything when half my teem are newbies and we're 6 spots out of first with no hope of winning. lol

Sounds like you want to join the free virtual bowling tour to represent Ohio. Sign up today.

Aslan
04-01-2014, 04:36 PM
The downside to being "anchor" is most of the time your final frame doesnt matter so you have to bowl while everyone is collecting their equipment and changing their shoes.

Mudpuppy
04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
The downside to being "anchor" is most of the time your final frame doesnt matter so you have to bowl while everyone is collecting their equipment and changing their shoes.

But it was a mediocre movie.

dyebartdie
04-02-2014, 04:11 PM
I prefer being the anchor because I love the pressure. I also don't mind being first this way I can set the pace and try to put pressure on the other team early.

dpatrickv
04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Normally I bowl second to last but this year I have been bowling anchor as my team mates all avg under 130ish.

I don't mind either way.

Vince805
04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
I love being anchor! The pressure is amazing. I love it!!! I can bowling like **** one game or all games on a bad night but when I'm needed in the 9 and 10th I can deliver. It weird how that works but I like it. Been the anchor in most of the teams I've bowled on. I'm subbing for one team right now that I'm not the anchor. But other its either me or my best friend.

Aslan
04-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Well, I was going to be anchor this season...but the other good guy on the team talked about how much he loved being anchor so I gave it to him. And it was the right move given he outbowled me in Week 1. So I'm bowling right before him instead. Moved from 3rd last season to 4th (5-man teams) this season.

SilverFear
04-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I used to bowl anchor for my teams. Then I took a break from bowling for a few years, and I subbed randomly when people needed, but by the time I came back full time I wasn't needed as anchor anymore. Now I lead off for my team, and I love it. It's nice to get the night started with a strike. Also, I believe it's the hardest position to get beer framed in =)

tracy
04-09-2014, 04:45 PM
On all the leagues and different teams that I have been on for around 45 years, I have been the anchor bowler. It must be the pressure factor that keeps me there or my consistency. If I didn't anchor, I would bowl lead off.

larry mc
04-11-2014, 10:06 PM
I prefer being the anchor because I love the pressure. I also don't mind being first this way I can set the pace and try to put pressure on the other team early.

me too , the league i anchor in , is also the 1 i bowl best in , it makes me take it more seriously because the team is looking 2 me to pull off the win