PDA

View Full Version : Ebonite Cyclone and oil

Edy13
04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I have a new Cyclone, my first ball, waiting to be drilled. I've read good things about them as an entry level ball, BUT I have also read recently that the ball,and Ebonites in general, have an issue with the coverstock and oil absorption which results in reduced performance over time. Can someone chime in and share their experiences and what steps or products I can use to mitigate this issue-if it is in fact true? I'm hoping I didn't make a poor choice with my first big purchase.
According to some, this is a non issue, just do regular maintenance. On the other side, I've heard that Ebonite is garbage and shouldn't be touched. There seem to be strong beliefs on both sides...

Interested in your thoughts..

Thanks for the assistance..

Mudpuppy
04-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Bowled Ebonite balls for years (currently have an Ebonite The One in my arsenal) and zero issues.

What my pro shop guy recommended is using Black Magic IMMEDIATELY after bowling - not 2 weeks later or after you eat dinner, etc. When you finish bowling use the cleaner to clean off the oil. Works like a charm. Keeps the balls tacky and clean with good reaction.

Every 60 games - resurface.

classygranny
04-01-2014, 02:05 PM
My proshop guy says Ebonite requires a bit more TLC/maintenance as Mudpuppy states, but can be a great ball for many people...and pros. He sees Ebonite absorbing oil more so than some other balls, say like Hammer - but with the Cyclone, just take care of it, and it should last as long as other performance balls - which is about 2-3 years for a lot of them.

Edy13
04-02-2014, 05:16 AM
Great-Thanks for the feedback. I feel better with my decision now..

LastCallKillit
04-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah I had a Cyclone, I didn't have any problems with it. Only reason I don't have it any more is because it was a 12#