View Full Version : Tips For Shooting at Washouts

bowl1820
04-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Tips For Shooting at Washouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHfYaKSATU

Aslan
04-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Hmmm.

I don't know if that change makes it as automatic as she makes it sound. Getting a 1-pin or 2-pin to cross all the way over and hit the 10-pin isn't easy, no matter what ball you use.

One "possible" strategy would be to treat a 2-4-7 as a single 10-pin...clip the 2 as you go by, knocks the left side over like dominos and deflects into the 10. But thats not very automatic either.

bowl1820
04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Hmmm.

I don't know if that change makes it as automatic as she makes it sound. Getting a 1-pin or 2-pin to cross all the way over and hit the 10-pin isn't easy, no matter what ball you use.

You should go to Rob's site and read the article on the Shadow pin spare system. What they are doing here is described in it.

Trying to deflect the ball off the 2 pin and into the 10 pin would a lot harder.

From the article:
A ball thrown straight down the fifth arrow at the Shadow 8 pin will throw the headpin at a 30 degree angle to take out the 10 pin, converting this washout nearly 60% of the time.

www.youtube. com/watch?v=Oae3gCQFJBU

I switched to shooting like this and the coverage percentage has been higher.

One "possible" strategy would be to treat a 2-4-7 as a single 10-pin...clip the 2 as you go by, knocks the left side over like dominos and deflects into the 10. But thats not very automatic either.

Some use that strategy when the 1 pin is present, but deflecting off the 2 pin be much harder do to how much the ball would have to deflect to get the 10 pin.

Aslan
04-04-2014, 07:06 PM
I have no opposition to giving it a shot. Lord knows I leave enough washouts. Might raise my average 20 pins.

RobLV1
04-04-2014, 07:11 PM
According to Norm Duke, the percentage for picking up washouts by hooking the ball is about 30%. When you go straight up the 5th arrow with a plastic ball, the percentage jumps to 59%.

noeymc
04-05-2014, 09:33 AM
thats pretty cool ive only picked that up a few times (1-5) this year i might have to try this good post bowl!!!!

did he throw that down 24-26?

bowl1820
04-05-2014, 10:29 AM
thats pretty cool ive only picked that up a few times (1-5) this year i might have to try this good post bowl!!!!
did he throw that down 24-26?

The Fifth arrow is 25

noeymc
04-05-2014, 11:10 AM
i didnt hear them say 5th sorry thanks bowl

bowl1820
04-05-2014, 12:27 PM
i didnt hear them say 5th sorry thanks bowl

They didn't say in the video, but that's what they were shooting at.

See post #3 above about Rob's Shadow pin spare system.

CaptainXeroid
04-05-2014, 03:39 PM
It makes more sense especially considering how angular resin balls are. I haven't left too many, fortunately, but throwing my white dot from the right has converted maybe a third of them. I'll give the left side a shot next time. Thank for sharing this.

RobLV1
04-05-2014, 09:08 PM
It's simple a matter of angles. A seven-ten, or 4-6 split is virtually impossible because you have to hit one pin and send it at a 90 degree angle to pick up the other pin, and that's nearly impossible. The smaller the angle, the greater the chances of picking up the spare. It you hook the ball at the headpin for a washout, you increase the angle that you have to throw the headpin, so you decrease you chances of picking up the spare. Going straight at the eight pin = smaller angle to throw the headpin into the ten pin = increased chances to pick up the spare.

tccstudent
04-05-2014, 09:49 PM
the 7-10 i would really like to see someone get that far to the side of either pin to send it straight across and not be in the gutter. If that was to happen I would have to believe that something about the pin deck or pinsetter was out of tolerance
the only way I have ever picked up this split or even seen it picked up was getting on of the pins to bounce back up on the deck and roll the other one out.

noeymc
04-05-2014, 11:20 PM
ive seen the ten pin hit right before the ball goes into the gutter and bounce over and get it