PDA

View Full Version : To Lean, or not to Lean; that is the Question!!

Aslan
04-07-2014, 03:03 PM
I watched the USBC videos that Bowl1820 posted...and from a previous lesson when I started...the general advice was not to lean over the foul line. That the body should be rather straight up and down.

However, watching some Earl Anthony footage, he seems to lean a bit over the foul line.

What I've noticed personally, is my old approach I was very straight up and down using the "handshake with the ceiling" technique. Hand comes up the side of the ball and snaps vertically up towards the ceiling, maybe even to the side of your head. Yet as I've tried to develop a lower loft, more transitional type of release...I'm "pointing towards the pin" (or shooting a pistol at the pins)....with more forward spine tilt (fancy way of saying "leaning over the ful line").

So. Whats the deal!? Do we lean? Do we not lean?

I've found that, personally, I'm more accurate when I lean...which is logical. Leaning gets you closer to your target, more likely to hit it. However...I find that I have better overall form (square to the foul line, good release) when I'm more straight up and down. I think it's far too easy to "pull" the ball when you lean...a posture that seems to lend itself to late timing.

Thoughts?

bowl1820
04-07-2014, 04:39 PM
I watched the USBC videos that Bowl1820 posted...and from a previous lesson when I started...the general advice was not to lean over the foul line. That the body should be rather straight up and down.

Thoughts?

Their not ramrod straight up and down, they do have some forward tilt. (It's around 15°)

It use to be they wanted bowlers to be ramrod straight up and down. Because they were wanting to put lift (hit up) on the ball, To get the ball to hook. So they didn't use a lot if any forward tilt.

With the modern bowling balls and lane conditions, you don't want to be lifting (hitting up) on the ball because it can create inconsistent ball reactions. So you use more forward tilt to help keep from lifting on the ball, plus it helps to project the ball down the lane.

Earl Anthony used what used to be called early timing (Now called roll timing) and the forward tilt helped with that.

RobLV1
04-07-2014, 08:28 PM
1820's right. Leaning from the waiste used to be a bad thing because it took away from lift. Today, forward tilt increases all the way through the release, to help projection, and prevent lift.

tr33frog
04-09-2014, 12:51 PM
I do a much better job of hitting my mark with some lean. Started doing it the 90's when I had a coach tell me to stay lower.

Mudpuppy
04-09-2014, 01:28 PM
After several beers I try not to lean in my seat when I am not bowling because I might fall over. I gave the waitress specific instructions - keep em coming until I pass out. That way if I do lean too much she won't stop serving me as long as I am conscience. In terms of leaning at the foul line I might have a slight lean but never paid any attention.

Aslan
04-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I do a much better job of hitting my mark with some lean. Started doing it the 90's when I had a coach tell me to stay lower.

Agreed. As I've been trying to emulate a more "Earl Anthony" style and less of a "WRW" style, I've found my accuracy has improved. And the most noticeable difference seems to be a forward lean/spine tilt.

Aslan
04-09-2014, 01:42 PM
After several beers I try not to lean in my seat when I am not bowling because I might fall over. I gave the waitress specific instructions - keep em coming until I pass out. That way if I do lean too much she won't stop serving me as long as I am conscience. In terms of leaning at the foul line I might have a slight lean but never paid any attention.

Mudpuppy is my opposite. He thinks about so little when he bowls that it amazes me the ball goes forward. Meanwhile, I think of SO many things between the ball return and the foul line that I sometimes trip or forget to actually let go of the ball.

Mudpuppy
04-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Mudpuppy is my opposite. He thinks about so little when he bowls that it amazes me the ball goes forward. Meanwhile, I think of SO many things between the ball return and the foul line that I sometimes trip or forget to actually let go of the ball.

Mental preparation is the key. Once you are mentally prepared STOP thinking and just let habit / instinct take over. Thinking too much is counter productive. I think a lot in between frames. I decide what is going well and what is not and what adjustments I will make on the next ball. Then when I go to bowl I already know what I am going to do so I am not second guessing or parked on the approach thinking about what to do or not do.

Aslan
04-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Mental preparation is the key. Once you are mentally prepared STOP thinking and just let habit / instinct take over. Thinking too much is counter productive. I think a lot in between frames. I decide what is going well and what is not and what adjustments I will make on the next ball. Then when I go to bowl I already know what I am going to do so I am not second guessing or parked on the approach thinking about what to do or not do.

Again, opposites. In between frames I'm busy deciding on whether I want to have a 4th or 5th cocktail, calculating my odds of getting laid by the waitress, and frantically trying to remove a mustard stain from my shirt. :cool:

RobLV1
04-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Aslan: Mudpuppy hit the nail on the head. As I told you when we me in Vegas, stop thinking and just roll the damn ball!

Mudpuppy
04-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Aslan: Mudpuppy hit the nail on the head. As I told you when we me in Vegas, stop thinking and just roll the damn ball!

Think long think wrong. Just for me whether it is bowling, playing other sports or riding a motorcycle the time to think is not when you are in the heat of the moment - that causes me to second guess, make mistakes, etc. I learned this a long time ago when I took jujitsu. You learn something, practice, practice, get it perfect and then when it is time to do it for real you don't think about it, you just do it - instinct.

tr33frog
04-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Yup, once you start to move towards the lane all decisions have been made and you just concentrate on your mark. When you think you over compensate for past mistakes, etc, etc...

Mudpuppy
04-10-2014, 03:12 PM
And before Aslan jumps on my "practice" comment I am not referring to open bowling non-oiled lanes practice games. I am talking any kind of practice - in this case it is a "working knowledge" that is ongoing - my "practice" happens in practice before the league starts and all the way through the end of the third game. Make your decisions sipping a beer or beverage of choice at the table while waiting to bowl and put them into "practice" as you are bowling noting what works and what doesn't. Is it a perfect system? Not at all - last Saturday I shot a 501. It didn't work at all and I started over thinking and making rash decisions. Then on Tuesday it worked perfect as I shot best series of the year. But I know for a fact if I overthink and second guess instead it is disastrous.

Hampe
04-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Aslan: Mudpuppy hit the nail on the head. As I told you when we me in Vegas, stop thinking and just roll the damn ball!Lol.....emphasis on "roll" :D

sprocket
04-11-2014, 08:10 AM
I think you worry too much about the details. Just roll the ball. I'm 50 and I bowl pretty much upright. I don't hit up on the ball, get it on the lane quickly, and project my shots well. If I was told I had to have more forward lean, I would be out of luck because it's not going to happen.

Balance is most important. Post your shots and roll the ball.