PDA

View Full Version : Roto Grip Asylum - Louis Narvaez Jr. Storm/RG Staff

LouisN
04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Dual Angle Layout 45 x 4 x 45
Storm VLS Conversion: 4 x 4 x 2.5

The Asylum is the Hybrid complement of the Deranged and the Disturbed. This is in Roto Grip's HP3 line. This is the first ball out of the bag for me right now. It allows me to really see what's out there and helps me to get lined up pretty quick.

I first used this ball on a standard house shot with the OOB 3000 grit surface. The first thing I noticed was how well this ball read the midlane without suffering from making the move very early. When this ball turns left it does not hesitate. The asylum creates a very strong arc to the pocket which allows me to keep the ball in play no matter how difficult the pattern is.

On USBC Nationals Singles and Doubles Pattern this ball really performed. On the fresh I was able to square up with only a few board swing. As the pattern broke down the Asylum allowed me to keep moving deeper and deeper without losing my carry. The Hybrid cover gets the ball through the heads but still allows it to make the turn without going too far down the lane.
I have tried a few different surfaces on this ball. OOB the Asylum is 3000 grit. The 3000 grit surface actually matches up very well. Unlike some other balls I did not feel the need to change the surface right away after throwing it.

1000 grit on this ball felt a little bit aggressive for me. The ball read the lane pretty quick and almost tried to turn left as soon as I saw it reading the lane. On a longer pattern this would probably match up very well but I did this on our house shot after league.
The Asylum would be a great benchmark ball for anyone. A tournament bowler will surely find a place for this in his or her arsenal and if you are bowler who only drills a few balls a year then this is one you should consider.

For those of you who have a deranged or would like to see this ball roll I have made a video which compares this ball to the deranged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmFN8LY7nM8

Louis Narvaez Jr.
Storm/RG pro shop staff
www.srikingresultsproshop.com