PDA

View Full Version : Which ball, plz?

rv driver
04-11-2014, 03:04 PM
In another thread I asked for opinions about the Pyramid. The opinion was that it was weak. So, as a corollary to that thread, I'd like some opinions as to what I'm going to need in a ball.

As stated, I'm older, getting back into the game after a long hiatus. I'm a stroker with slower ball speed. I tended to throw pretty straight, but with a nice little hook into the pocket. I'd like to develop more hook in my delivery, however, as I relearn the game. Therefore, my pro has suggested that I begin with an entry-level reactive ball drilled for fingertip. Due to some physical concerns, I'm only going to be able to throw a #12 ball.

Here's what I've found so far:
The Freeze (2.60/.039)
The Tropical Breeze (2.63/.011)
The Path Rising (2.62/.042)
The Roto Grip Uproar (2.65/.011)
I've also considered the Wrecker and the Hammer Vibe, but I think I'm discounting them at this point.

My questions now are: Are the Rising and Freeze going to provide too much hook potential for a lower ball speed, becoming uncontrollable in the back end? Are the Breeze and Uproar going to be just fine for a slower stroker player? I guess I really don't have a preference as to ball, so long as it allows me to develop a greater hook without my having to speed up the ball (a physical limitation at this point). Revs I can learn to develop (I think), but I'm probably never going to develop into a real tweener. I need a good "teaching ball" that I can control, but that will grow with me. Or are the differences between them all insignificant at this point in my game, so it becomes simply a matter of color choice and branding?

Thanks!

Bunny
04-11-2014, 07:12 PM
12lbs is a different story. I believe Motiv balls have the better cores at 12 lbs.

Most 12 pounders have generic cores.

rv driver
04-11-2014, 10:32 PM
12lbs is a different story. I believe Motiv balls have the better cores at 12 lbs.

Most 12 pounders have generic cores.
Motiv, eh? Not familiar with them. I'll have to look into that. I do know that the Uproar, the Breeze, and the Path Rising all incorporate the symmetrical, inverted lightbulb-type core that they use in their heavier balls. Thanks for the tip on Motiv. I'll research...

Doghouse Reilly
04-12-2014, 08:53 AM
You might take a look at the DV8 Dude, it's a good controllabel smooth reacti ng ball.

https://dv8bowling.com/balls/dude/

ther es a video in the video s scetion http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/15884-Lane-Side-Reviews-DV8-Bowling-Dude

noeymc
04-12-2014, 10:17 AM
its my understanding they all use a genetic cores till u hit 13/14 pounds

Bunny
04-12-2014, 11:18 AM

True, except Motiv. Their 12 pounders have better cores.

Bunny
04-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Motiv venom toxin looks pretty sweet actually. I haven't seen it in action though. It's a hybrid which personally I really like. I have two and they seem to even the pattern out so they're not over or under reacting.

Just my opinion. Good luck with your choices!! I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Best to have your pro shop take a look at your swing. Sometimes they have specials or used balls at great prices. My friend just got a barely used Deranged for $90 drilled. We just saw a hardly used Lights Out for $70 drilled. Lights Out also a good choice!

bowl1820
04-12-2014, 11:35 AM

True, except Motiv. Their 12 pounders have better cores.

It's different from Mfg. to Mfg., Ball to Ball, That's why you have to check each ball you look at.

rv driver
04-12-2014, 08:13 PM
It's different from Mfg. to Mfg., Ball to Ball, That's why you have to check each ball you look at.
Pyramid and Breeze have the same core in the #12. It appears as though the Ascent is the same, but it isn't explicitly specified on the web site.

Shaneshu87
04-14-2014, 05:48 PM
In another thread I asked for opinions about the Pyramid. The opinion was that it was weak. So, as a corollary to that thread, I'd like some opinions as to what I'm going to need in a ball.

As stated, I'm older, getting back into the game after a long hiatus. I'm a stroker with slower ball speed. I tended to throw pretty straight, but with a nice little hook into the pocket. I'd like to develop more hook in my delivery, however, as I relearn the game. Therefore, my pro has suggested that I begin with an entry-level reactive ball drilled for fingertip. Due to some physical concerns, I'm only going to be able to throw a #12 ball.

Here's what I've found so far:
The Freeze (2.60/.039)
The Tropical Breeze (2.63/.011)
The Path Rising (2.62/.042)
The Roto Grip Uproar (2.65/.011)
I've also considered the Wrecker and the Hammer Vibe, but I think I'm discounting them at this point.

My questions now are: Are the Rising and Freeze going to provide too much hook potential for a lower ball speed, becoming uncontrollable in the back end? Are the Breeze and Uproar going to be just fine for a slower stroker player? I guess I really don't have a preference as to ball, so long as it allows me to develop a greater hook without my having to speed up the ball (a physical limitation at this point). Revs I can learn to develop (I think), but I'm probably never going to develop into a real tweener. I need a good "teaching ball" that I can control, but that will grow with me. Or are the differences between them all insignificant at this point in my game, so it becomes simply a matter of color choice and branding?

Thanks!

my wife uses a 12 pound freeze and that ball is a beast she is very slow speed and low rev but she throws strainght up any board out side the 10 and it comes back every time, i liked the way hers rolled so much i bought one myself at 16 pounds and felt it is very reliable for and up and in bowler.

rv driver
04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
my wife uses a 12 pound freeze and that ball is a beast she is very slow speed and low rev but she throws strainght up any board out side the 10 and it comes back every time, i liked the way hers rolled so much i bought one myself at 16 pounds and felt it is very reliable for and up and in bowler.
Really?! I thought the Freeze might become uncontrollable at low rev/low speed... Nice to know, because I was considering one and dropped it off my short list because I thought i might not be able to control it.

Stormed1
04-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Motiv uses the same core shape designed for the ball in any weight ball they produce. They alter the densities as needed to lower the overall weight but retain the same core dynamics and weight block shape. Most manufacturers use different generic cores in weights below 14 pounds.

rv driver
04-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Motiv uses the same core shape designed for the ball in any weight ball they produce. They alter the densities as needed to lower the overall weight but retain the same core dynamics and weight block shape. Most manufacturers use different generic cores in weights below 14 pounds.
Thanks for that info. So, from what I gather, the Ascent, the Path Rising, and the Tropical Breeze all use the same weight block in their #12 balls as they do in their #15 balls. Now it's simply a matter of matching reaction to expectation and throwing style ... and, of course, the all-important color choice.

Perrin
04-15-2014, 10:49 AM
and, of course, the all-important color choice.

Don't forget that color determines your scent if you go with the breeze :)

Bunny
04-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Really?! I thought the Freeze might become uncontrollable at low rev/low speed... Nice to know, because I was considering one and dropped it off my short list because I thought i might not be able to control it.

Not at all. My hubby's first ball was a Freeze. I bought it from Bowlingball.com in Oct. 2012. We were just starting out. It's a great ball. It hits seriously hard. He throws about 15mph and was more of a full roller then. He'll still pull it out for light/burnt oil conditions and some spares. It always surprises me how hard it hits. It's not a straight ball. It has a nice move to the pocket.

I've seen the Tropical Breeze in action as well during league. A chick who was a lower/med speed, full roller was throwing it. It hit like a freight train! Her team ended up winning that season.

I don't see or hear that solid hit with my Path Rising.

I purchased a dv8 Misfit in 12lbs. I went down from 14lbs to 12lbs for a few months after surgery last summer. I kinda got the same soft hit from the Misfit. But, that could have just been the weight difference.

I haven't had experience with Motiv. I specifically sought out info from the pro shop guy on lower weight balls that have "better" cores so I could recommend them to people who throw 11-13lbs wanting to go up a step. He recommended Motiv.

I don't think any of the balls you're looking at are going to be uncontrollable for you.

Good Luck!!

rv driver
04-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Don't forget that color determines your scent if you go with the breeze :)
they need one that smells like my wife's hair...
No. Wait a minute! That would be too distracting.

rv driver
04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Not at all. My hubby's first ball was a Freeze. I bought it from Bowlingball.com in Oct. 2012. We were just starting out. It's a great ball. It hits seriously hard. He throws about 15mph and was more of a full roller then. He'll still pull it out for light/burnt oil conditions and some spares. It always surprises me how hard it hits. It's not a straight ball. It has a nice move to the pocket.

I've seen the Tropical Breeze in action as well during league. A chick who was a lower/med speed, full roller was throwing it. It hit like a freight train! Her team ended up winning that season.

I don't see or hear that solid hit with my Path Rising.

I purchased a dv8 Misfit in 12lbs. I went down from 14lbs to 12lbs for a few months after surgery last summer. I kinda got the same soft hit from the Misfit. But, that could have just been the weight difference.

I haven't had experience with Motiv. I specifically sought out info from the pro shop guy on lower weight balls that have "better" cores so I could recommend them to people who throw 11-13lbs wanting to go up a step. He recommended Motiv.

I don't think any of the balls you're looking at are going to be uncontrollable for you.

Good Luck!!
Thanks for that info! Looks like the short list gets tweaked. Here it is so far:
Motiv Ascent
Storm Tropical Breeze
Columbia Freeze
Perhaps the Hammer Blue Hammer (a "retro" urethane ball)

I think I'm looking for one that has a nice curve and not so much a hard angular turn to the pocket. Maybe?

Shaneshu87
04-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Thanks for that info! Looks like the short list gets tweaked. Here it is so far:
Motiv Ascent
Storm Tropical Breeze
Columbia Freeze
Perhaps the Hammer Blue Hammer (a "retro" urethane ball)

I think I'm looking for one that has a nice curve and not so much a hard angular turn to the pocket. Maybe?

blue hammer urethane is a great ball it's my last resort ball lol

rv driver
04-15-2014, 04:26 PM
blue hammer urethane is a great ball it's my last resort ball lol
I understand it's for dry lanes. How does it handle on a middle-of-the-road THS?

Shaneshu87
04-16-2014, 02:02 PM
its ok i am a ver low rev low angle roller, basicaly stragiht up the 5 board, it is usually my end of the 3rd game ball when the lanes are most dry

rv driver
04-16-2014, 02:15 PM
its ok i am a ver low rev low angle roller, basicaly stragiht up the 5 board, it is usually my end of the 3rd game ball when the lanes are most dry
Thanks. Hmmm... sooo... if you're a bowler like me, what ball(s) do you find work(s) well for you?

Shaneshu87
04-16-2014, 02:31 PM
i have always liked the raw hammer line they tend to roll earlier and for someone that plays up the 5 it helps allot with continuation through the deck, i have also had success with the old widow line with a snappy drill, i found my self actually playing more angular with the widow series and i liked that, currently in my bag i have the raw hammer jacked, the TNBA Swagga (widow core), and the cold blood and i love the roll of all of these balls

ALazySavage
04-16-2014, 05:40 PM
RV,

In my opinion I would focus more on the actual cover of the ball rather than the core of it. When you are looking at getting a freeze; are we talking about a Freeze solid, Freeze Hybrid, or Freeze Pearl? Basically the way I would describe it is that as follows (by using the Freeze as an example):

Freeze Solid: Starts hooking earlier, won't hook as much on the back
Freeze Hybrid: A blend between the two, but will still be aggressive on the backend
Freeze Pearl: Will conserve most of it's energy on the backends, may be hard to control but likely will not hook too early

Since you have a slower ball speed I would personally avoid a solid cover and stick with a hybrid or a polish. If the ball goes too far down the lane before it hooks you can always buff away the polish with an Abralon pad or sandpaper.

rv driver
04-16-2014, 05:59 PM
RV,

In my opinion I would focus more on the actual cover of the ball rather than the core of it. When you are looking at getting a freeze; are we talking about a Freeze solid, Freeze Hybrid, or Freeze Pearl? Basically the way I would describe it is that as follows (by using the Freeze as an example):

Freeze Solid: Starts hooking earlier, won't hook as much on the back
Freeze Hybrid: A blend between the two, but will still be aggressive on the backend
Freeze Pearl: Will conserve most of it's energy on the backends, may be hard to control but likely will not hook too early

Since you have a slower ball speed I would personally avoid a solid cover and stick with a hybrid or a polish. If the ball goes too far down the lane before it hooks you can always buff away the polish with an Abralon pad or sandpaper.
Thanks! I was actually considering a Freeze pearl. You've confirmed for me that my thought process is right on this issue. I want a cover that will get further down the lane before hooking, due to slow ball speed. That's why I was considering the Tropical Breeze. BUT, don't I still want the good core? I certainly don't want a simple pancake if I'm trying to nurse a developing hook, right? But I think what I'm reading from you is that, at this point in the game, coverstock and not core is the priority?

Another point: I thought I'd like a ball with a nice arc, rather than one with an angular back end, because I thought it would match the stroker/slow ball speed style. But I read you as saying that I don't want the ball to begin hooking early. Does that necessarily mean, then, that I need a more angular hook on the back end?

ALazySavage
04-16-2014, 10:52 PM
You can still get a ball with a nice arc that has a polished surface (as long as it is drilled that way, you just need to talk to the pro shop guy about that), I would advise staying away from solid surfaces if you have significant ball speed issues. Both the Freeze and Tropical Breeze has symmetrical cores so they shouldn't scream off the back ends, don't think you can make a bad choice. But most importantly,have the driller watch you throw a few shots and they can probably give you the best advice.

rv driver
04-17-2014, 09:22 AM
You can still get a ball with a nice arc that has a polished surface (as long as it is drilled that way, you just need to talk to the pro shop guy about that), I would advise staying away from solid surfaces if you have significant ball speed issues. Both the Freeze and Tropical Breeze has symmetrical cores so they shouldn't scream off the back ends, don't think you can make a bad choice. But most importantly,have the driller watch you throw a few shots and they can probably give you the best advice.
thanks for the help!