PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new ball for medium/medium-heavy conditions

shadowshocker
04-12-2014, 10:48 PM
I bowl around 14mph, 175-200rpm. Stroker, right-handed. I play on typical house shots.

My Misfit isn't as aggressive as I'd like it to be on medium or medium-heavy (not sure which one it is exactly) lane conditions. My usual shot is standing on 10th board, throwing out to the 3rd dot.

What would you guys recommend? I am open to any brand.

larry mc
04-12-2014, 11:58 PM
I bowl around 14mph, 175-200rpm. Stroker, right-handed. I play on typical house shots.

My Misfit isn't as aggressive as I'd like it to be on medium or medium-heavy (not sure which one it is exactly) lane conditions. My usual shot is standing on 5th board, throwing out to the 3rd dot.

What would you guys recommend? I am open to any brand.

Mastermind Genius

RobLV1
04-13-2014, 09:39 AM
What exactly do you mean by aggressive? Bowling on a typical house shot, standing as far right as you are, you are playing in an area with very little oil. It could very well be that your ball isn't acting the way you want it to because there is too little oil where you are playing, not too much.

Mike White
04-13-2014, 11:54 AM
What exactly do you mean by aggressive? Bowling on a typical house shot, standing as far right as you are, you are playing in an area with very little oil. It could very well be that your ball isn't acting the way you want it to because there is too little oil where you are playing, not too much.

Sounds to me like he isn't playing quite where he says he is.

"My usual shot is standing on 5th board, throwing out to the 3rd dot."

If we assume his description is correct, the 3rd dot (at 7' from the foul line, is the 8 board)

It would be a stretch to call that throwing the ball "out" to the 3rd dot.

Likely he's counting arrows instead of dots on the lane, and dots instead of board on the approach.

So if it were "My usual shot is standing on 5th dot (25th board or 30th), throwing out to the 3rd arrow. (15th board)"
it would probably make more sense.

shadowshocker
04-13-2014, 04:39 PM

Sounds to me like he isn't playing quite where he says he is.

"My usual shot is standing on 5th board, throwing out to the 3rd dot."

If we assume his description is correct, the 3rd dot (at 7' from the foul line, is the 8 board)

It would be a stretch to call that throwing the ball "out" to the 3rd dot.

Likely he's counting arrows instead of dots on the lane, and dots instead of board on the approach.

So if it were "My usual shot is standing on 5th dot (25th board or 30th), throwing out to the 3rd arrow. (15th board)"
it would probably make more sense.

Ahh, sorry. I actually remember now that it is the 10th board I stand on, not the 5th. Got a little confused when trying to remember. Guess my newbieness is showing now, heh. Does that change anything?

RobLV1: What I mean by "aggressive" is that sometimes my ball goes a little too far before hooking and hooks a little too late and instead knocks out 3-6 or 6-10, so I guess you could say I'm looking for something that would hook a little more early (if my understanding is correct).

RobLV1
04-13-2014, 06:49 PM
If you are standing 10, hitting 8 at the dots and missing right with any reactive ball, you would be much better off, and save a boatload of money too boot, to get a lesson from a qualiied coach before you invest in another bowling ball.

Shaneshu87
04-14-2014, 05:41 PM
honestly i agree with the find a coach, often time the pro shop where you get your ball can give you quick lessons, i didn't have any "qualified" pro shop around so i watch a bagillion videos on youtube watching pro approach the line and counting their steps, slide distance, ball choices. if i were you i would snatch something will a 1500 or 2000 grit dull finish they tend to start their roll earlier. click the shop tab here on bowlingboards and look for something a little older so the price isn't sky high or check ebay for used balls you can usually snatch them for around 50 plus ship and a plug and drill might run around 35 it's your call bud, don't let anyone on here tell you how to bowl until they watch you bowl and dont worry about being a "noob" we all were at some point ;) just keep roll'n

RobLV1
04-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Isn't it ironic that a bowling "proshop" is often without any pros, though it may have a qualified ball driller who may or may not be qualified to coach bowlers, but bowlers assume that someone who is qualified to drill bowling balls is also qualified to coach bowling, where, in reality, may only "coach" to try and sell bowling balls. At the same time, coaches who are certified by the USBC to be qualified coaches may or may not be PBA pros because the PBA, unlike the PGA in golf, has no program to train or certify coaching professionals. On the other hand, a PBA pro may or may not be a qualified coach, or a qualified ball driller, for that matter, and yet the shop where he may or may not be is named after him. At this point in time, finding a USBC Certified Coach is your best bet for finding meaningful help for your game.

GoodGravy
04-15-2014, 12:33 AM
So...to answer your question...I would go with a Roto Grip Disturbed or maybe a Storm HyRoad....

I would agree with the above poster about getting some coaching from a certified coach, but if you live somewhere off the beaten path (like I do) you may not have access to any coaching.

Stormed1
04-15-2014, 01:58 AM
One thing that would help in making a better recomendation would be if you could post a video of you bowling. Some reasonably priced pices that are more aggressive than the Misfit are Roto-Grip Disturbed, Deranged and Asylum, Storm Hy-Road Pearl, Motiv Venom Shock and Toxin, DV8 Diva, Columbia Disorder,Eruption Pro just to name a few

H3RBSKI
05-26-2014, 10:58 PM
when i first started i was the same, i had a hammer onyx vibe i could barely get it to move at all. so i bought an aggressive ball i got the motiv 2 cruel which is stupidly strong.
now after a year i can get my hammer to move just as much if not more sometimes because it reacts earlier.... i can go gutter to gutter. save your self some money and just practice more. more revs better release etc