PDA

View Full Version : Contest Apr 14, 2014 to Apr 20, 2014 - Roto Grip Asylum

BowlingBoards.com
04-14-2014, 12:13 AM
We are giving away a Roto Grip Asylum for a random poster from Apr 14, 2014 through Apr 20, 2014.

== General Giveaway Rules

Every post made on BowlingBoards during the dates listed above will be considered an entry. Drawing will be done the first business day following the contest period. Winner will be contacted via email and through BowlingBoards.com.

BowlingBoards is a moderated site and reserves the right to delete any post deemed illegitimate, automatic, or just plain off topic.

The goal of BowlingBoards is to bring more people into our community. Participate in the conversations happening here. And while you are at it, you will be earning entries into our drawing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE! -- We reserve the right to redraw a winner if the winning post is not of quality content. Quality content is at the sole discretion of the BowlingBoards.com administrators. This means that one word posts will not qualify. Repeating what someone else has said does not qualify.

Just participate in the conversation instead of \"trying to win\" a drawing. The more you participate, the better your chances.

Afrevele
04-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Does anyone have this ball? What lane conditions is it best for? I'm looking for something that hooks hard at the break-point.

Does anyone have this ball? What lane conditions is it best for? I'm looking for something that hooks hard at the break-point.

Aslan
04-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Everyone wants something that hooks hard at the break point and saying it twice doesn't make it happen.

Also, I want this ball for no other reason than to win something…and because I need something that breaks hard at the break point.

Shaneshu87
04-14-2014, 10:22 AM
never owned a roto grip but a friend of mine has been a sold out storm bowler his whole life until he got his hands on a cell last month, now he's changing teams lol

tccstudent
04-14-2014, 10:27 AM
never owned a roto grip but a friend of mine has been a sold out storm bowler his whole life until he got his hands on a cell last month, now he's changing teams lol

storm and roto grip are the same company so its not much of a team change

i need this ball cause it is the name of the place where I live. The Oklahoma Asylum for the Psychotic and Bowling Minded

Jeral999ok
04-14-2014, 01:16 PM
I have not had a Roto Grip yet. so this would be a nice one to try..

Tccstudent definitely is crazy! But NO Asylum would take him..

:p Jeral

localtalentNC
04-14-2014, 02:08 PM
This would be a great RG ball to add to my tourney set up!

manke
04-14-2014, 04:20 PM
could always use a new ball!!!!

jnv32185
04-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Personally I never owned a Roto Grip. Never even seen one in person yet lol. Would not mind trying one.

YODA
04-14-2014, 05:10 PM
RotoGrip is gaining speed.. really good balls. Would love to add one to my game :)

Aslan
04-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Personally I never owned a Roto Grip. Never even seen one in person yet lol. Would not mind trying one.

They are nowhere near as good smelling as Storm....thus they are useless. But I still want it.

GoodGravy
04-15-2014, 12:37 AM
Wife has this ball and it is a MONSTER......I throw all Storm but would love to add this to my bag (since R.G. and S. are kissing cousins). I have a fairly beat up Reign of Power and I need to replace it with another solid coverstock ball. This would fit the need nicely!!

GoodGravy
04-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Just to add: It does have a tendency to check up a little early when the lanes begin to dry up...the blessing/curse of a solid.... My wife doesn't tend to put a lot of hand underneath so she can get away with staying on the outside. I would suspect that as the night goes on, you will probably have to be standing on the ball return unless you can bring your speed up. Still, a nice ball to break down the lane a bit...I would give this a shot as the first ball out specifically if you are bowling on a fresh pair....

Edy13
04-15-2014, 11:16 PM
A friend of mine has this and LOVES it. I wouldn't mind growing into this ball as my skills develop...

bigjimbo316
04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Never owned a Roto Grip before, would love to win this!

SilverFear
04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
I just purchased my first Roto Grip, an UpRoar, but having this as well would be pretty sweet!

Nyjets1975
04-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Haven't had a new Roto grip since my apocalypse and I love the looks of this ball!

Moejoemax
04-16-2014, 04:48 PM
I am looking for something to help me win more and be more consistent. Maybe winning this ball will help?

tccstudent
04-17-2014, 10:59 AM
My last roto grip was the mutant cell pearl before that I had a bunch of rotogrips I have always liked rotogrip and should probably get some more

Afrevele
04-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Heard good things about toto grip balls, love to try it out!

Afrevele
04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Hah! Not in Kansas! Roto!

Sourtower
04-17-2014, 01:33 PM
I would love a chance to win the Roto Grip Asylum. I've tried the Roto Grip Totally Defiant and have heard nothing but good things about the Asylum!

jwox
04-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Never tried Roto grip but I loved every storm I've had.

Wigman
04-17-2014, 11:04 PM
I'd use a brand new ball since my current balls came off the used rack at the local shop, and i'd rather have something that doesn't bear the name Storm because every bowler and their brothers at my league throw Storm balls. Even though its a sister company to Storm, still doesn't have the name hehe.

Kells
04-18-2014, 03:24 AM
I'd really like to try out the Asylum and Roto Grip in general. I have only heard good things about it so far. I've used Storm almost exclusively throughout my short career and I'm interested in slowly but surely branching out

camarokidrs
04-18-2014, 08:37 PM
I'd be happy to try out a Roto grip I hear nothing but good things about them.

Whiteshadow
04-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Send me to The Asylum

Jaescrub
04-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Let's see if I can add this to my balls I have won list, would be crazy to win the brother ball to the disturbed I won for here last year. My buddy still using that ball and was blown back by the gift. But now it's all about me when I win next I'm keeping for self ;)

ragstormfan
04-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Roto Grip: OWN IT BABY!!!!!!

sara2117
04-20-2014, 07:15 PM
I have the Roto Grip Uproar and have been very impressed with it. I'm sure the Asylum would would be just as good if not better.

classygranny
04-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I have two Roto Grip Defiant Souls, this would just be icing on the cake....and a great anniversary gift! to myself...lol.

Blacksox1
04-20-2014, 10:44 PM
I would like to add a strong symmetric Roto Grip to go with my Hyper Cell.

Perrin
04-21-2014, 11:55 AM
A certain place must have frozen over....

Grats Aslan :)

manke
04-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Congrats aslan!!!

Jaescrub
04-21-2014, 01:00 PM
I think everyone knows what this means. He will now be leaving for greener pastures or starting a seconded name Ha ha ha. grats aslan now you can rest in peace.

mc_runner
04-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Aslan finally won! haha. Congrats :)

bowl1820
04-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Way to go Aslan you finally won one!

tccstudent
04-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Ok Aslan I beleive this ball is already responsible for a 900 series so lets see what you can do with it.
Gratz

Jeral999ok
04-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Way to go Aslan

Jeral

classygranny
04-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Hope this doesn't go to the closet with the rest of the "waiting to be drilled" arsenal...

Congrats Aslan! Do with it what you want, just don't tell us if you "store" it for later use....AARGH!!! Bowling balls are made to throw!

vdubtx
04-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Hope this doesn't go to the closet with the rest of the "waiting to be drilled" arsenal...

Congrats Aslan! Do with it what you want, just don't tell us if you "store" it for later use....AARGH!!! Bowling balls are made to throw!

In Aslan's case, yes they are made to throw.

But, now that he has a high performance ball, he will need to continue his work on learning how to roll it.

dnhoffman
04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Like buying a duck a flight suit, but enjoy!

Blacksox1
04-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Aslan = Asylum Imagine that ! Congrats

Aslan
04-22-2014, 01:20 AM
You are all far too kind!

Yes…I have finally won something!! It's been awhile.

As classygranny eluded to….I now am faced with a dilemma.

Do I have it shipped here to go to the back of the line in my closet? Currently there are 9 balls ahead of it lobbying for a place in my future ARSEnal.

Or by winning it, am I abliged to actually get it drilled and use it?

And where will it fit in my "arsenal"??? It seems like a good replacement for the recently retired Frantic.

And what am I going to tell the poor 900Global Bullet Train that was waiting patiently to be the next symmetric ball, replacing the Frantic?? The Bullet Train will be sad…and maybe crack in half on my closet shelf…scaring me in the middle of the night!

It's a conundrum for sure. I DO feel somewhat obligated to throw it given I'm assuming thats part of the deal. Or does bowling boards .com not give a hoot if it goes into the closet of purgatory??

I am conversing with the almighty site administrator presently…via PM. I'm looking into my options of having them drill it before sending it to me. I figure if they drill it before shipping it…I'll be far more inclined to use it. But I gotta see how their $40 deal works where I send them a ball, they copy the hand measurements/spacing…then drill the ball to fit and send both balls back. They say they also will re-surface the ball I send them. But neither of the balls I have need re-surfacing. So if I gotta pay $25 to ship the ball to them, then $40 (+ finger inserts) essentially for the drilling and to have both balls shipped back to me…might be more economical to just have them ship it and have it drilled myself here.

I'll get it all worked out. Maybe since it's just hand measurements they need (because I already know the style of drilling I want)…I can get those off my current ball with measuring tape or something. I know with tri-grip there are different "pitches"…but with most drillings I believe those are somewhat standard right?

jnv32185
04-22-2014, 02:02 AM
A little late but congrats Aslan. Weather you decide to roll it or store it all that matters is you enjoy it.

Perrin
04-22-2014, 09:15 AM
I'll get it all worked out. Maybe since it's just hand measurements they need (because I already know the style of drilling I want)…I can get those off my current ball with measuring tape or something. I know with tri-grip there are different "pitches"…but with most drillings I believe those are somewhat standard right?

Ask your current proshop for a copy of your drill-sheet. That should have all the measurements and pitches on it.

vdubtx
04-22-2014, 10:18 AM
I am conversing with the almighty site administrator presently…via PM. I'm looking into my options of having them drill it before sending it to me. I figure if they drill it before shipping it…I'll be far more inclined to use it. But I gotta see how their $40 deal works where I send them a ball, they copy the hand measurements/spacing…then drill the ball to fit and send both balls back. They say they also will re-surface the ball I send them. But neither of the balls I have need re-surfacing. So if I gotta pay $25 to ship the ball to them, then $40 (+ finger inserts) essentially for the drilling and to have both balls shipped back to me…might be more economical to just have them ship it and have it drilled myself here.

I know this will go in one ear and out the other, but, send them one of your balls per the $40 arrangement and ask them not to resurface it. Pretty simple solution to your complicated problem. :cool:

With the $40 deal like when you buy a new ball from them, you don't have to pay to ship the ball to them. It is included. They will send you a label.

Aslan
04-22-2014, 05:50 PM
I know this will go in one ear and out the other, but, send them one of your balls per the $40 arrangement and ask them not to resurface it. Pretty simple solution to your complicated problem. :cool:

With the $40 deal like when you buy a new ball from them, you don't have to pay to ship the ball to them. It is included. They will send you a label.

Well, if I don't have to pay the $25 to ship them my ball...then thats what I'll do. I was thinking I'd end up paying $65 ($40 + $25) just to get them a layout when it seems like all I have to do is just tell them; "span = X inches finger to finger. Distance from finger holes to thumb hole is Y inches." I mean, I already know the layout I want...I'm just sending it to them for hand measurements. But...actually....I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to have the 1 ball re-surfaced...and if it's $40 (versus $65)...thats worth it.

Am I over-simplifying the hand measurement thing? Do they need the other ball for pitch or thumb angle or something?

Per Perrin's idea...I "could" ask my ball driller to the stars (MWhite) for the layout he drilled. BUT;
1) The layout I'd "like" to use is the tri-grip...and I don't know if bowlingball.com can copy that type of drilling since it involves more than just standard drilling.
2) Even if I ask for the Rhythm drill layout (hand measurements); it's kinda asking a business to help give your business to someone else. I mean, if I "don't" get it drilled...I'd pay Mike to drill it. He might respond, "rather than give you the layout and send them $20...have them ship it undrilled, bring it to me...and I'll drill it according to your specs for $22."
"OR....OR....since you like tri-grip....why not have them ship it undrilled and I'll tri-grip drill it for just a little more??"

Hmmm....now I gotta reach out to MWhite...who currently is being a BB Tour Hater....he might send me left handed specs just to throw me off my game in the BB Tour. :rolleyes:

bowl1820
04-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Am I over-simplifying the hand measurement thing? Do they need the other ball for pitch or thumb angle or something?
Yes your over-simplifying it, Besides the span, they would have to get the finger and thumb pitches. Also your finger and thumb sizes.

1) The layout I'd "like" to use is the tri-grip...and I don't know if bowlingball.com can copy that type of drilling since it involves more than just standard drilling.
They can copy the grip from your tri-grip ball.

The Tri-grip is a fitting technique, once the holes are punched in the ball. Any shop can copy the grip off the ball using the standard techniques for copying a grip to a standard T-grip.

As for asking for your grip spec's any shop should be happy to give them to you.

Though if they are "Tri-grip" spec's, not all shops could use them. Unless they know the Tri-grip system.

That's why you should take the tri-grip ball and get the grip spec's off the ball so they'll be converted to a standard T-grip spec's which any shop could use.

Aslan
04-22-2014, 11:48 PM
After consulting my bowling ball spreadsheet (I have lots of spreadsheets…Excel is my friend)…I've made the decision to have it shipped undrilled.

Reasoning:

- I have recently decided to go to ONE ball weight…16lbs.
- I have plans to actually create an "arsenal" at 16lbs and I already have a ball virtually identical to the Asylum; the 900Global Bullet Train.
- But….I DON'T have a 15lb version of the Asylum. And my future plans are to transition back to 15lbs…so this will actually be a great fit!

So as much as I wanted to get it drilled up to replace the Frantic as my symmetric/hybrid overstock ball…it just makes no sense to get it at 16lbs when the Bullet Train is so similar and already on my shelf.

Specs (Mudpuppy close your eyes):
Storm Frantic: RG: 2.53, Diff. 0.045, 1500 polish, symmetric, hybrid coverstock.
Rotogrip Asylum: RG: 2.50, Diff. .043, 3000 finish, symmetric, hybrid coverstock.
900Global Bullet Train: RG: 2.539, Diff. .040, 2500 finish, symmetric, hybrid coverstock.

MICHAEL
04-26-2014, 10:13 AM
You are all far too kind!

Yes…I have finally won something!! It's been awhile.

As classygranny eluded to….I now am faced with a dilemma.

Do I have it shipped here to go to the back of the line in my closet? Currently there are 9 balls ahead of it lobbying for a place in my future ARSEnal.

Or by winning it, am I abliged to actually get it drilled and use it?

And where will it fit in my "arsenal"??? It seems like a good replacement for the recently retired Frantic.

And what am I going to tell the poor 900Global Bullet Train that was waiting patiently to be the next symmetric ball, replacing the Frantic?? The Bullet Train will be sad…and maybe crack in half on my closet shelf…scaring me in the middle of the night!

It's a conundrum for sure. I DO feel somewhat obligated to throw it given I'm assuming thats part of the deal. Or does bowling boards .com not give a hoot if it goes into the closet of purgatory??

I'll get it all worked out. Maybe since it's just hand measurements they need (because I already know the style of drilling I want)…I can get those off my current ball with measuring tape or something. I know with tri-grip there are different "pitches"…but with most drillings I believe those are somewhat standard right?\\

IF YOU SEND THEM A BALL with the Tri-Grip, will they duplicate that layout?? IF SO, that would be a good deal! Remember it has different pitches ect ect... I might be interested in buying some balls from them if they do copy Tri-Grips! Let me know what they say, (if you would)!! Cong rat's! lol

Also do they do the Vise grip thumb inserts and finger inserts along with the Tri-Grip! That is how I have all my balls finished. If so, how much for the whole ball of wax?

Mike White
04-26-2014, 01:40 PM
\\

IF YOU SEND THEM A BALL with the Tri-Grip, will they duplicate that layout?? IF SO, that would be a good deal! Remember it has different pitches ect ect... I might be interested in buying some balls from them if they do copy Tri-Grips! Let me know what they say, (if you would)!! Cong rat's! lol

Also do they do the Vise grip thumb inserts and finger inserts along with the Tri-Grip! That is how I have all my balls finished. If so, how much for the whole ball of wax?

Copying a Tri-Grip is easy.

They don't even have to know it was a Tri-Grip to begin with.

It's just hole sizes, pitches, and spans.

Easy to measure, easy to duplicate.

Without the copyright material, it's not so easy to get from the bowlers hand, to the exact Tri-Grip specs.

In the IBPSIA class I attended, the standard way of drilling produced finger pitches within 1/8" of those from the Tri-Grip.

The thumb pitch however is significantly different.