PDA

View Full Version : Approach issue- my shoes or my head?

Edy13
04-19-2014, 08:49 PM
I noticed that I am very self conscious with my feet / shoes. I have a pair of Rios that are universal and I constantly feel uneasy and unsure when on the approach- it just feels too 'slippery' to me and I can't seem to get into a stride let alone a comfortable and secure slide at the release. I am wondering if this is normal and it just takes repetition to 'trust' my shoes or if I should look at new shoes with a traction pad / sole to give me a sense of security and more traction. Do the shoes designed for a specific hand make that much of a difference?

I appreciate your insight and suggestions. I am brand new at the sport and it is obvious that it is becoming a major issue in getting better. I'm just not sure if it is the shoes or me.

Thanks...

J Anderson
04-19-2014, 09:11 PM
I noticed that I am very self conscious with my feet / shoes. I have a pair of Rios that are universal and I constantly feel uneasy and unsure when on the approach- it just feels too 'slippery' to me and I can't seem to get into a stride let alone a comfortable and secure slide at the release. I am wondering if this is normal and it just takes repetition to 'trust' my shoes or if I should look at new shoes with a traction pad / sole to give me a sense of security and more traction. Do the shoes designed for a specific hand make that much of a difference?

I appreciate your insight and suggestions. I am brand new at the sport and it is obvious that it is becoming a major issue in getting better. I'm just not sure if it is the shoes or me.

Thanks...

What I have noticed with universal shoes is that you have to keep your foot flexed through the push step so the heel stays on the approach. If the heel comes up the foot slides backwards instead of propelling you forward. I've also noticed as the shoes age, the rubber heel gets harder and provides less traction and less braking at the end of the slide.

Handed shoes do make a significant difference.

RobLV1
04-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Shoes that are designed for the particular hand with which you bowl make a huge difference. With non-handed shoes you have two choices: too slippery for traction with your non-bowling foot, or too much grip for your slide foot. Either case causes big problems in terms of your confidence.

Getting a pair of shoes that is designed for use with your bowling hand will be the best investment you will ever make in terms of improving your bowling.

SouthpawTRK
04-19-2014, 10:07 PM
It could be a combination of the two; partly the shoe and partly your state of mind regarding the shoes. Not only doe shoes that interchangeable soles and heels allow you to adjust to various approach conditions; in some cases they are built to provide more support. I had a pair of ambidextrous shoes; and while they worked; they sometimes were just right, too slippery or too sticky on approaches at various houses. However, they also do not have as much support as my new shoes that have interchangeable soles/heels. I'm not talking arch support, but rather how the uppers are designed and make my feet feel more stable.

Blacksox1
04-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Shoes that are designed for the particular hand with which you bowl make a huge difference. With non-handed shoes you have two choices: too slippery for traction with your non-bowling foot, or too much grip for your slide foot. Either case causes big problems in terms of your confidence.

Getting a pair of shoes that is designed for use with your bowling hand will be the best investment you will ever make in terms of improving your bowling.
Agree with Rob 100 percent. Good shoes are important for everything !

vdubtx
04-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Absolutely 100 percent on getting a good pair of shoes with traction on non-bowling foot. Was a huge step up from my older uni-slide shoes back in the day. Currently have Dexter SST-6's, have had them for 5-6 years now I think and may be getting a new pair of sst-8's in the next year or so. The tread on the non slide shoe is starting to lose it's grip from use.