PDA

View Full Version : Reading lanes during practice and league play...

DaRoadHawg
01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Hello,

Is there anyway to read the lanes during practice or league play? I can...kind of...tell what I should be doing and where I should be after a few frames, but when I'm not hitting the pocket or even misreading the lanes (does that even make sense?) I misadjust and have to start over again. I was thinking that I'm losing focus for the most part. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mahalo!

jaws1945
01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I usually throw a couple shots using my normal line which is 2nd arrow to watch the reaction. Of course it doesn't really mean anything until you are loose and delivering normally. Then i adjust with my feet and starting position. Usually that is all I need to do, but if that doesn't work I use the 2 and 5 rule of thumb.

DaRoadHawg
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I usually throw a couple shots using my normal line which is 2nd arrow to watch the reaction. Of course it doesn't really mean anything until you are loose and delivering normally. Then i adjust with my feet and starting position. Usually that is all I need to do, but if that doesn't work I use the 2 and 5 rule of thumb.

I'm still kind of a newbie...what's the 2 and 5 rule? Does that refer to the amount of boards your feet move in relation to where you move your mark?

Thanks again!

JerseyJim
01-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Susie Minshew had a 4 part article in Bowling This Month on lining up. You throw 6 shots with your benchmark ball that will test the alley. I usually have a decent idea of what the lanes are doing after those shots. The article started in October 2007 and ran to January 2008.

DaRoadHawg
01-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Susie Minshew had a 4 part article in Bowling This Month on lining up. You throw 6 shots with your benchmark ball that will test the alley. I usually have a decent idea of what the lanes are doing after those shots. The article started in October 2007 and ran to January 2008.

If I may ask, where can I find this article? It sounds like a great tool I could use...

Mahalo!

jaws1945
01-14-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm still kind of a newbie...what's the 2 and 5 rule? Does that refer to the amount of boards your feet move in relation to where you move your mark?

Thanks again!

exactly. for every two boards on the lane I move 5 on the approach. for example I an standing on 20 throwing over 10,. I move to 12 and my feet to 25

Iceman
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
On a THS - I look during practice for the outside flip area and inside hold area, I do throw 2 balls, My midrange benchmark and my hardest ball to see if I don't have speed that night - I can move right and play straighter. Once I find this, I stay inbetween the area, I don't aim at 1 board - I try to expand the area to 3 - 4 boards. (If I could hit 1 board everytime, I would be touring - ;))

Mostly on THS, you have 4 - 5 boards with minimal swing - but watch carry down - that will decrease the board room dramatically.

On Pattern shots - I look for the break point - I move my target closer and further to read the breakpoint. I then move to get my ball to that breakpoint or as close as I can.

JerseyJim
01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
If I may ask, where can I find this article? It sounds like a great tool I could use...

Mahalo!

I looked through my back issues of BTM. It ran from October 2007 - January 2008. It also describes the possible outcomes, and what that means to you. I don't think I can summarize it accurately. The six shots are as follow:

L-CTR
stand 15 throw 10

L-CNR
Stand 10 throw 10

R-CTR
stand 28 (30 if you're broad shouldered) throw 15

R-CNR
Stand 35 Throw 17

R-CNR
Stand 12 Throw 5

Across the 4th arrow towards the 3 pin
Stand 32 or deeper

onefrombills
01-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I looked through my back issues of BTM. It ran from October 2007 - January 2008. It also describes the possible outcomes, and what that means to you. I don't think I can summarize it accurately. The six shots are as follow:

L-CTR
stand 15 throw 10

L-CNR
Stand 10 throw 10

R-CTR
stand 28 (30 if you're broad shouldered) throw 15

R-CNR
Stand 35 Throw 17

R-CNR
Stand 12 Throw 5

Across the 4th arrow towards the 3 pin
Stand 32 or deeper

Jim I really like this and for more advanced players this will come in handy

JerseyJim
01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Jim I really like this and for more advanced players this will come in handy

As I said before Susie Minshew came up with it. It works for me. Even if I make a couple of bad assumptions about the lanes, at least it gets me used to throwing down the line, and across the alleys in both directions.

onefrombills
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
This never needs to be said but Susie is a very talented coach and it's great to get that info each month from her. `

JerseyJim
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Bowling this Month contains a wealth of info. I keep issues going back for a couple of years. My wife complains when they start piling up. There is one website, www.bowlingknowledge.com that has a series of articles from Susie. One of these days, I'll break down and buy one of her coaching cds.

The KingPin
01-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Bowling this Month contains a wealth of info. I keep issues going back for a couple of years. My wife complains when they start piling up. There is one website, www.bowlingknowledge.com (http://www.bowlingknowledge.com) that has a series of articles from Susie. One of these days, I'll break down and buy one of her coaching cds.

Great thanks for the link.

JerseyJim
02-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Did anyone see the article by Wes Malott, and ???? on lining up in 7 shots in the US Bowler magazine that just came out? I just skimmed through it last night. It's somewhat similar to Susie's 6 shot system. It might be worth experimenting with.

chrisdaman77
02-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I know that for me my first ball I don't put too much effort into throwing. I kind of walk up to the line and throw it mostly to get my arm the feel of the weight and also to see what the ball will do at a slow speed. If it goes from one side to the other I know I am going to need a good speed when throwing during the game. If it just kinda rolls down and does not move much I know I am going to have to stay slow and move a little with a little extra movement out of the ball.

The KingPin
02-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I say I throw a few balls first to get a line. Even if I throw a split I still throw if all of the pins are there.

The first time I eve shadow bowled where no pins were setup it was wild, but help as I focused on my line and not the pins.