PDA

View Full Version : This one thing can make or break you when bowling

noeymc
05-02-2014, 12:02 AM
timing, timing is the most important thing in bowling agree? or disagree?

tccstudent
05-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Nope it is not
The most important thing is the coolers that keeps the beer cold

RobLV1
05-02-2014, 06:59 AM
I agree because timing is the foundation from which everything else is built. Many bowlers want to jump directly to working on their release so that they can get more revs on the ball. The problem is that until their timing is such that it puts them in a leverage position at the line, their releases cannot improve. It's kind of like learning to walk before trying to run.

Mudpuppy
05-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Nope it is not
The most important thing is the coolers that keeps the beer cold

Agreed - if the beer temp is not 37.5 then it is a wasted night. 37.6 is bad. 38 is bad. Anything higher is criminal. 37.4 or lower is too cold.

Hammer
05-02-2014, 04:20 PM
I do some testing with my timing. Using a 5 step approach I hinge the start of my swing at different times to see how early or late I should start my swing so it ends up at the best spot of my release. I find that if I start the swing too late I tend to muscle the ball to get it to the right spot at release. This is not good. You can lose revs or have pulled shots. By the way, I start my swing on the second step of a 5 step approach which is what it should be. If you are using a 4 step approach you start your swing on the first step. So start your swing at different times to see what works best for you.

noeymc
05-02-2014, 05:22 PM
thats just a baseline hammer it will most likly need more fine tuning i no every time i see my coach i am changing my apporach a little bit to get my timing the best it can be just my 2cents

classygranny
05-02-2014, 10:22 PM
I agree because timing is the foundation from which everything else is built. Many bowlers want to jump directly to working on their release so that they can get more revs on the ball. The problem is that until their timing is such that it puts them in a leverage position at the line, their releases cannot improve. It's kind of like learning to walk before trying to run.

Funny thing...this morning was our sweeper and we do a potluck, so I didn't stop for breakfast. This meant I had 45 minutes of extra time this am. Not wanting to work, I decided to read thru the forum and this post really stuck out.

Many of you may know that I seem to be experiencing some intermittent thumb pain and with my work schedule I haven't been able to work with my coach since October (aargh!). Since it isn't constant or even consistent I believed it was bowler error and not ball fit.

After reading this post this am, I decided to totally concentrate on my approach (mainly my first step - usually, for some reason when it starts good, it ends good)and forget about how I was holding the ball, the release, everything about my hand - so to speak. The first ball out for practice, was like OUCH! but my feet were fairly fast. Thought about slowing down and posting my shot. Also, bending knee.

Amazing, I did extremely well until about mid-game of the third game and my feet started getting a bit fast - and the thumb pain was back, I immediately knew I had to get my timing under control and it was really going to hurt for the rest of the game.

After bowling, my teammate and I discussed this. She noticed that when my feet are good and I post the shot, I release close to my ankle and my thumb clears the ball early. When my feet get fast or I don't post the shot well, the ball (with my thumb still in it) goes beyond the point of ideal release.

I think I had got so concerned about how I was releasing the ball and why it made my thumb hurt, that I didn't realize my timing was off, because my brain was working so hard on my thumb and release.

So, TOTALLY AGREE with getting the timing and solid foundation at the line - before anything else!

Thanks Rob...my thumb feels pretty good tonight. And now my awareness is higher, as well!

noeymc
05-02-2014, 11:15 PM
a good way to help your timing 4step ) think kick ball push it out and move your foot right when its above your toe

same thing with 5 step just on your 2nd step

remember to speed up with each step to build momentum but everything we say is just baselines timing can only be fixed by watching someone bowl

Aslan
05-04-2014, 12:53 AM
I was gonna guess "bar tab". Thats what kills me.

jnv32185
05-05-2014, 02:17 AM
I was gonna guess "bar tab". Thats what kills me.

LOL I was thinking more along food bill but drink bill definitely ranks up there too.

ALazySavage
05-06-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm going to agree with you about timing being the most important thing in the physical aspect of bowling, but then say that it isn't a fair question.
So that this doesn't become a chapter in a book, here is a short list of physical game aspects (not including all elements): Set up Position, Timing of the pushaway, type of pushaway, height of the backswing, relationship between the front step and the head, speed of the steps, position of the release, spine angle, armswing tension, and shoulder rotation. From this list I would say that pushaway timing, pushaway type, relationship of the front step and head (step length), speed of the steps, spine angle, shoulder rotation, and armswing tension are all things that fall under the catch all of timing.
My question is what is the biggest key for you to get your timing correct? For me, I know that if my lead foot is under my head my timing is most likely going to be spot on.

noeymc
05-06-2014, 12:37 PM
speeding up on step 2.5

classygranny
05-06-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm going to say the first step. When I work with my coach, and my sister is there watching, he calls my leaves as soon as I take my first step, and she says he is right 99% of the time.

rv driver
05-06-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm going to say the first step. When I work with my coach, and my sister is there watching, he calls my leaves as soon as I take my first step, and she says he is right 99% of the time.
That almost sounds more like a balance issue rather than strictly a timing issue.

RobLV1
05-06-2014, 05:09 PM
rv: Gotta go with granny here. The first step, both in direction and particularly length can mess up timing faster than just about anything else. When the first step is too long, you are well on your way to late timing and a shot that misses to the outside.

shadowshocker
05-06-2014, 06:55 PM
rv: Gotta go with granny here. The first step, both in direction and particularly length can mess up timing faster than just about anything else. When the first step is too long, you are well on your way to late timing and a shot that misses to the outside.

This must be why my shots miss to the outside 50+% of the time...

noeymc
05-07-2014, 10:38 AM
as long as i dont move my ball till i kick it my timing should be good assuming i speed up xD

ALazySavage
05-12-2014, 07:32 PM
@ClassyGranny: Can I ask you who your coach is? Since you are from Scottsdale I'm guessing it is Tony Maresca, just curious though

classygranny
05-13-2014, 08:14 PM
@ClassyGranny: Can I ask you who your coach is? Since you are from Scottsdale I'm guessing it is Tony Maresca, just curious though

Tony runs the proshop at Via Linda, and I have heard some good things about him.

I've been working with Michael Haugen, Jr. Love his passion for the game, his patience, his aptitude to "see" your bowling, and he shares, shares, shares, and will share more if you want to learn more.

I use Mike Calderon at Bowl 300-Tempe ProShop, excellent driller, and he is another one that will share all his wealth of knowledge if you want to listen.

rv driver
05-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Tony runs the proshop at Via Linda, and I have heard some good things about him.

I've been working with Michael Haugen, Jr. Love his passion for the game, his patience, his aptitude to "see" your bowling, and he shares, shares, shares, and will share more if you want to learn more.

I use Mike Calderon at Bowl 300-Tempe ProShop, excellent driller, and he is another one that will share all his wealth of knowledge if you want to listen.
Lucky! Wish I could work with a pro like Michael.

Aslan
05-15-2014, 07:16 PM

Hey! I resemble that remark! nuk nuk nuk

jromanov
07-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Hello Noeymc .... please let me apologize for not knowing how to ask a question here, and I'm hoping that you might be able to help. I was watching PBA Bowling on TV this past weekend and saw the guys using this kind of "mouse pad" looking thing to wipe off the ball between throws. Later the same day I watched the NCAA women and they were also using this "mouse pad" looking ball wipe. It retained it's shape, unlike a towel, and was blue on one side and black on the other. Any idea what these are and where to get them? Thanks so much ... sorry again for the newbie post.

Aslan
07-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Hello Noeymc .... please let me apologize for not knowing how to ask a question here, and I'm hoping that you might be able to help. I was watching PBA Bowling on TV this past weekend and saw the guys using this kind of "mouse pad" looking thing to wipe off the ball between throws. Later the same day I watched the NCAA women and they were also using this "mouse pad" looking ball wipe. It retained it's shape, unlike a towel, and was blue on one side and black on the other. Any idea what these are and where to get them? Thanks so much ... sorry again for the newbie post.

Why are you asking noeymc here? Actually, why ask noeymc at all...I think he's like a 17yr old kid.

Amyers
07-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Why are you asking noeymc here? Actually, why ask noeymc at all...I think he's like a 17yr old kid.

Yes he would be better off asking you a full grown man with the mind of a 17 year old

MICHAEL
07-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Yes he would be better off asking you a full grown man with the mind of a 17 year old\

YOUR being very KIND, Amyers,,, But 17 year olds might resent the comparison!

rv driver
07-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Hey!! Aslan is my hero! Don't rain on my parade!

mike_thomas93
07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
I agree with this, too. I know I've been trying to add rev rate to my game, and last year I discovered my timing was very late. Ever since I realized that, I've worked to get it where it needs to be. I've just recetnly changed to semi-roller out of full roller, so I'm still kind of taking baby steps to get better. I think next time I practice, I'll keep my eye on how slow or fast my feet goes, that way I'll be able to tell when the timing's on line or off.

Pin_Pals
07-14-2014, 12:58 AM
I am still learning how to roll the ball and not throw it aimlessly at the pins. I will place my vote as rolling the ball properly with a consistent aim as the most important.

Hobbit
07-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Timing is everything!

The bowling technique is really a small series of repetitive movements.. The bowler who does this the most consistent generally speaking , will be the one who walks home with the trophy in my books.

When I'm scoring well, I feel so well balanced at release, when I'm stinking up the lanes, timing/balance at fouline is the first thing that feels off..

Also, poor timing, can sometimes come down to that first step, over striding/under striding, too faster a feet.

rv driver
07-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Timing is everything, because all those individual movements aren't just individual movements; they're parts of a whole system of ball-delivery. They all need to work together in the proper sequence, or they don't work well. Ever try to drive a car where the engine timing is off? Same thing.

Shaneshu87
07-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Timing is everything, because all those individual movements aren't just individual movements; they're parts of a whole system of ball-delivery. They all need to work together in the proper sequence, or they don't work well. Ever try to drive a car where the engine timing is off? Same thing.

great perspective, and your right, doesn't matter how "ugly" your approach is as long as you have timing you can be consistent, we have a guy here who is right handed and throws of his right foot, and then hops after release, we call him hoppy lol but he has impeccable timing a delivers a consistent shot and carries 180+ avg

MICHAEL
07-18-2014, 12:07 PM
great perspective, and your right, doesn't matter how "ugly" your approach is as long as you have timing you can be consistent, we have a guy here who is right handed and throws of his right foot, and then hops after release, we call him hoppy lol but he has impeccable timing a delivers a consistent shot and carries 180+ avg

My good friend Gene, does that too!!! Great nick name! Gene02u, on here carries a 220 average plus on most leagues! That hop doesn't hurt his average!! (:) New nick name for my bowling buddy!!! LOL

rv driver
07-18-2014, 04:32 PM
We all need to start thinking of the individual techniques we worry about and talk about and fiddle with here, as parts of a bigger picture, whose canvas is...

Timing.

edit: I don't think we can really fix individual problems and expect our game to improve, because every piece affects all the other pieces. If you adjust one piece, all the others will probably need some (perhaps minor) adjustments that we may not even be cognizant of. It's about the balance of all the pieces-parts.