PDA

View Full Version : New Hyper Cell and great visit at a different Proshop

vdubtx
05-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Finally decided to lay down some cash for a new ball after researching for so long. Also decided to go to a different proshop for a more inclusive experience. The proshop a I have worked with in past wouldn't explain anything, maybe they couldn't.

Got a new Rotogrip HyperCell.

The proshop I went to spent the time to explore the layouts on my other balls and translated that to the way he drilled up the HyperCell. He explained everything to me and showed me the layouts for the First Blood and Disturbed and explained how actually different they are laid out.

Iceman will like this, he actually talked with me about the Tri-Grip. He said when I get back from nationals that I should try it out. I have a ball that I experiment with that I am going to get it plugged and drilled with the Tri grip.

Will up date later this evening with picture of new ball and explain my layout. I finally have numbers for layouts and understand what they mean.

Wigman
05-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Enjoy your new Hyper Cell, I got mine today, it makes sweet pin action and nice predictable hook.

vdubtx
05-02-2014, 11:15 PM
As promised, here is my new ball. Have only thrown about a game with it just to be sure fit was good before I had to leave pro shop this afternoon to go pick up wife from work. Will get some practice on Sunday and hopefully get some video too. The few times I rolled it, it went down lane very nice before making a turn. The pair of lanes the shop put me on had the USBC Team pattern on it, but was not fresh shot.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/Vdubtx/HC1_zpscfb6154f.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Vdubtx/media/HC1_zpscfb6154f.jpg.html)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/Vdubtx/HC2_zps0541cd21.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Vdubtx/media/HC2_zps0541cd21.jpg.html)

Hyper Cell Layout is 40 X 5 3/8 X 35
Top 3.12oz
Pin 3-3.5

Proshop also provided me with measurements from my other balls:

Disturbed Layout = 75 X 5 X 35
Top 2.84oz
Pin 3-3.5

First Blood Layout = 60 X 5 X 37
Top 2 3/4oz
Pin 3-4"

Had always wanted this layout info, but other proshops never seemed to care to do them. Either too busy or, like I mentioned in my earlier post, didn't know how.

Pap = 5 5/8 over 5/8 up.

I know Rob Mautner's thoughts on layouts and I expect him to possibly respond with a comment about having 3 different layouts, in my defense, I didn't know what my layouts were prior to the proshop operator spending the time with me on my current equipment. Maybe I will find the layout he did for me on the Hyper Cell the one I like best and stick with it. :cool:

vdubtx
05-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Enjoy your new Hyper Cell, I got mine today, it makes sweet pin action and nice predictable hook.

Enjoy yours too. Ball has that nice out of box dull finish to it. :cool:

circlecity
05-03-2014, 07:07 AM
I think you will like this ball. I love mine.

RobLV1
05-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Looking at the numbers, your three layouts are actually pretty close (the angles to the VAL) are almost identical. The main difference of which you should be aware is that both the Hyper Cell and the First Blood have asymmetrical cores, while the Disturbed has a symmetrical core. The difference here is that, according to the Dual Angle System, the pin to PAP distances does not really make a difference in track flare in asymmetrical balls, with anything over 2 1/4" being considered "strong," while a pin to PAP distance of 5" or more on a symmetrical ball being considered medium to weak.

At some point down the road you might want to take a look at drilling a less aggressive symmetrical ball with a smaller pin to PAP distance, just to see what the difference might be for you.

Anyway, enjoy the new ball. Everyone that I've seen throw it absolutely loves it.

vdubtx
05-03-2014, 09:43 AM
I think you will like this ball. I love mine.

Heard nothing but good things about it. :cool:

vdubtx
05-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Looking at the numbers, your three layouts are actually pretty close (the angles to the VAL) are almost identical. The main difference of which you should be aware is that both the Hyper Cell and the First Blood have asymmetrical cores, while the Disturbed has a symmetrical core. The difference here is that, according to the Dual Angle System, the pin to PAP distances does not really make a difference in track flare in asymmetrical balls, with anything over 2 1/4" being considered "strong," while a pin to PAP distance of 5" or more on a symmetrical ball being considered medium to weak.

At some point down the road you might want to take a look at drilling a less aggressive symmetrical ball with a smaller pin to PAP distance, just to see what the difference might be for you.

Anyway, enjoy the new ball. Everyone that I've seen throw it absolutely loves it.

Thanks for the additional info Rob. Also, thanks for the advice on helping me narrow down my choice of ball. Took your comments regarding this ball into account when finally deciding. Will certainly be experimenting with different layouts over the summer. Certainly to try the Trigrip that ICEMAN so fondly speaks of. :)

RobLV1
05-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Just to clear this up because I hear it all the time: the Tri-Grip System is not a specific layout, but a method for determining the correct pitches for a bowler's hand. The idea is that if the ball fits your hand better, you will get a better, more consistent release.

Mike White
05-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the additional info Rob. Also, thanks for the advice on helping me narrow down my choice of ball. Took your comments regarding this ball into account when finally deciding. Will certainly be experimenting with different layouts over the summer. Certainly to try the Trigrip that ICEMAN so fondly speaks of. :)

To get an idea of what the Tri-Grip is like without having to go to a shop that knows the tri-grip technique, do the following.

Mark up a ball using the standard T-Grip technique.

Find and mark where the center of each hole will be located.

Draw a circle around the center of the thumb with a 5/8" radius.

Draw a line from the center of the middle finger hole, that is tangent to the right side of the circle around the thumb.

That assumes you are right handed.

That line is the Middle finger Center Line.

Draw a line perpendicular to the Middle Center Line, that passes through the center mark of the Grip Center Line.

That line is kind of like a Midline, but not exactly the same.

Draw two lines that are perpendicular that "Midline".

The first of those lines should pass through the center of the thumb hole giving the Thumb Center Line.

The second of those lines should pass through the center of the ring finger hole giving the Ring Center Line

Drill the Thumb hole with a suggested 3/8" left pitch using the Thumb center line as if it were the Grip Center Line.

Tri-Grip doesn't define how much reverse/forward pitch to put into any of the finger or thumb.

Drill the middle finger with 0" lateral pitch, again using the Middle Center Line as if it were the Grip Center Line.

Drill the ring finger with 3/4" lateral pitch, using the Ring Center Line as if it were the Grip Center Line.

Finally with using finger inserts, align them to the Middle Center Line, and Ring Center Line, much like is done with a CLT drilling.

Personally I find it easier to just drill a standard grip, with modified laterals, and rotated inserts.

vdubtx
05-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Just to clear this up because I hear it all the time: the Tri-Grip System is not a specific layout, but a method for determining the correct pitches for a bowler's hand. The idea is that if the ball fits your hand better, you will get a better, more consistent release.

Oh, I understand Rob. I specifically didn't mention Trigrip and layout in the same sentence to avoid confusion. I know it's a fit techinique and not a layout.

vdubtx
05-03-2014, 08:12 PM
To get an idea of what the Tri-Grip is like
Personally I find it easier to just drill a standard grip, with modified laterals, and rotated inserts.
Thanks Mike. Pro shop actually did rotate my middle finger grip slightly with the Hyper Cell as when I do get my hand set I rotate slightly. That was why he mentioned the Trigrip to me after he had me show him how I grip/hold the ball.

vdubtx
05-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Here is a video of the ball in action during my practice session yesterday. I like it, only threw 3 games total with it and it certainly hooks a lot. Played several different lines so I can see what it can do and it did not disappoint. Do not think I will even try it on the lighter volume house I bowl in on Tuesday nights. Should be good in the house I shot the video, my Thursday night league. Oh, and left the spares in for Circlecity. :D

Bonus point to the first person who can correctly name the tune, to those that don't like it, sorry had to have some fun with the video. :cool:

http://youtu.be/gL6P3ccoSn8

Mudpuppy
05-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Looks good. No idea on the song - sounds like a bad techno festival. If I had taken ecstasy it might have been better. But you missed the video on 1 spare - maybe a miss? I like the action of the ball though.

vdubtx
05-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Looks good. No idea on the song - sounds like a bad techno festival. If I had taken ecstasy it might have been better. But you missed the video on 1 spare - maybe a miss? I like the action of the ball though.

Had to relook at the video to see what I left out. Think was the 3-6-9-10. If I remember I left the 3 standing, but video did not capture it as my table was bumped causing my phone to fall before I attempted. Didn't realize until a few more frames that I was capturing darkness. :D

Mudpuppy
05-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Had to relook at the video to see what I left out. Think was the 3-6-9-10. If I remember I left the 3 standing, but video did not capture it as my table was bumped causing my phone to fall before I attempted. Didn't realize until a few more frames that I was capturing darkness. :D

Likely story :)

vdubtx
05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Likely story :)

LOL, as likely as the 2 missed 10 pins on lane 10 from my practice yesterday. :)

Mudpuppy
05-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Regardless you have an awesome shot and that ball seems to work well for you. Since I talked to you awhile back I have made changes to my shot. At first really radical but I found it was too much and now I have kind of adapted what you said within my game and it works well. Threw 8 in a row on Saturday using that method to the madness. Certainly more consistent.

vdubtx
05-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Regardless you have an awesome shot and that ball seems to work well for you. Since I talked to you awhile back I have made changes to my shot. At first really radical but I found it was too much and now I have kind of adapted what you said within my game and it works well. Threw 8 in a row on Saturday using that method to the madness. Certainly more consistent.

Awesome to hear! It's all about finding what works for you with a few tweaks thrown in for good measure.

Another possible devotee to the inside shot is a guy I spoke with after shooting against him a couple weeks ago. Talked with him about the inside shot as with his revs and speed, when he hits the dry outside his ball takes off and he is just very inconsistent. This guy has a really muscled shot with a fast 4 step approach starting from the back row of dots. While I was practicing yesterday he came into the center for some practice of his own. He has started to use inside shot as well, but still not consistent. I watched his approach and told him to try the upper set of dots with his same 4 steps and it was almost like a light bulb went off in his head after he tried it. He said after a game he feels good and that he is more consistent with his shot, which he was. Think he will have a good week on Thursday night for league with his new found tweaks. :cool:

Mudpuppy
05-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Small things can make big differences

Hampe
05-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Bonus point to the first person who can correctly name the tune,Necro - Bang Bang

The ball looks nice :)

I'm still thinking about getting one to replace my old rogue cell.

vdubtx
05-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Necro - Bang Bang

The ball looks nice :)

I'm still thinking about getting one to replace my old rogue cell.

While correct on the song, Necro just simply lifted it from Dr. Dre which, the instrumental is from his 2001 album. :cool:

dnhoffman
05-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Finding a good pro shop can change your entire outlook on bowling, I'm really happy you finally did.

vdubtx
05-11-2014, 12:42 AM
Finding a good pro shop can change your entire outlook on bowling, I'm really happy you finally did.

Thanks dnhoffman. I am glad as well.

I am thoroughly impressed with this ball. Had the chance to use it on the USBC Open National patterns and while it was too much ball for Doubles/Singles, it matched up perfectly with Team pattern. Shot a 701 on the Team pattern.

This ball has some serious back end movement after it hits the end of the patterns. Loves the oil.

Blacksox1
05-11-2014, 01:51 AM
Saturday, I rolled 2 games on the team pattern. Two teams from the Daytona area held a practice with 9 guys showing up. I bowled well. Used my Hyper Cell, 2000 grit, 4 x 4 x 2. Stood 13 1/2, mark 10 1/2 with little to no swing. Boom Boom Boom. My speed 16-16 1/2 mph. I may be missing out by not going to Nationals this year. Makes 3 years now. Anyways vdubtx I expect you to do well ! Do not forget to get that money into those team event brackets ! Good luck and good carry !