PDA

View Full Version : Solar De-oiler?

Bunny
05-03-2014, 02:46 PM
We asked a local pro shop guy (Scott Kraye former PBA bowler) about de-oiling our First Bloods since we have a lot of games on them. He suggested just having it outside when were puttering around in the yard on a sunny day and to spray, wipe, and turn it every few minutes.

We gave it a shot last weekend. It was sunny with a cool breeze and a few clouds. Not hot at all. Holy c&@+ did my Hubby's First Blood sweat out a lot of oil! A lot!! You could smell it. The ball was a little warm where the sun was hitting it but hardly at all and it never got hot. He kept cleaning and turning every few minutes. It finally stopped sweating out oil after a couple/few hours.

He's been ripping the Deranged I gave him so no biggie if it doesn't work. It actually seemed to work great though. We'll see. :cool:

Edy13
05-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Great tip. I will keep this in mind.

I lived in AZ a few years ago with temperatures around 105 in the middle of the night. it would have been interesting to see what a few minutes of that would do.

RobLV1
05-03-2014, 05:51 PM
It just so happens that just before I read this post, I had put my Mastermind with about 30-40 games on it, out in the sun as I was starting to smoke a beef brisket. It's about 94 or 95 degrees in Vegas today with a mild wind. Some oil came out of the ball in the track area, but really not that much, though I do clean the ball within an hour of most outings. During the heat of the summer I will either put balls in the shade, or in the sun for much shorter periods of time.

bbgamer884
05-04-2014, 07:35 AM
I started to leave my ball in the car during a hot summer day from time to time and those things bleed oil after about 3 hours. I stopped doing so after the guy in my pro shop said doing that could crack the core and to just take it to the shop and put it in the controlled oven.

larry mc
05-16-2014, 09:00 PM
We asked a local pro shop guy (Scott Kraye former PBA bowler) about de-oiling our First Bloods since we have a lot of games on them. He suggested just having it outside when were puttering around in the yard on a sunny day and to spray, wipe, and turn it every few minutes.

We gave it a shot last weekend. It was sunny with a cool breeze and a few clouds. Not hot at all. Holy c&@+ did my Hubby's First Blood sweat out a lot of oil! A lot!! You could smell it. The ball was a little warm where the sun was hitting it but hardly at all and it never got hot. He kept cleaning and turning every few minutes. It finally stopped sweating out oil after a couple/few hours.

He's been ripping the Deranged I gave him so no biggie if it doesn't work. It actually seemed to work great though. We'll see. :cool:

wow definately gunna give this a try