PDA

View Full Version : Storm Wipe Out Review by Staffer Tony Marino

Tony Marino
05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Wipe Out review by Storm staffer Tony Marino

I was intrigued by the release of the Wipe Out. I have drilled a few IQ Tour solids with a lot of success, but I have struggled when it is has been time to "ball down" to something weaker. The Wipe Out seems to be a great answer to that problem. While they both share the same R2S solid coverstock, the higher RG Turbine core (2.53 vs 2.49) allows the ball to "tumble" a little farther down the lane than the IQ Tour solid without being too strong on the backend.

I drilled the Wipe Out just like my Tour solid, with a 3.5" pin and a 2" pin buffer. The Dual Angle numbers on this layout are 45° x 3 1/2 x 30° with a P2 weight hole, which is slightly under my PAP.

I have thrown my Wipe Out on a 3:1 ratio sport pattern as well as a medium length house pattern. The Wipe Out is approximately 4 boards weaker than the Tour solid, and I was able to stay farther outside longer with the Wipe Out. I don't often get into trouble with the IQ Tour solid, but I do lose a good bit of carry once the pattern transitions and I need to switch to something weaker. The taller core in the Wipe Out allowed me to stay farther outside and not sacrifice carry. The ball was also not as responsive to a down lane hook spot as the tour was, so I didn't have to worry about an overreaction at the end of the pattern.

I have found that the R2S cover seems to be a little stronger than the Turbine core in the Wipe Out for my game. I have not tried any surface changes, but so far, it is rolling more "cover strong" than "core strong", which is also the case for my IQ Tour Fusion. I will be curious to see if surface adjustments will change the core to cover balance for me.

The Wipe Out is a great fit if you love the IQ Tour solid, but need a weaker ball for when the lanes dry out. I also see this ball being great for high rev players that want a ball that won't overreact on the backend.

Want to see what I am talking about? Click this link to see my video which compares all of the Storm bowling balls mentioned in this review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVws5njK1Yc