PDA

View Full Version : When do you think it is time for a new ball?

The KingPin
01-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Ok so spring leagues are starting if they have not already, so when is the best time to get a new ball? Is starting a league a good excuse or when one seems to scratched and dinged up?

what do you think, does a ball ever get truly bad?

Iceman
01-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I do think balls lose their luster or bite after 90 games minimum and I'm not convinced the bottles on the shelves are really doing what they say, I do not usually resurface balls to get the kick back, I just buy new ones each year, Not based on what the pro's use, but I now judge them based on the specs on what worked the previous year and what didn't. It's tough sometimes as the specs are the same, but the weight blocks are different - so sometimes it can be costly. But worth it to me.

bowl1820
01-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't want to buy a new one right at the start of a winter league. You want to get settled in first and see what the shot is. So you can make the right choice of ball reaction and type.

Summer league is a good time for working in new equipment and game changes. But you have to watch out summer patterns and winter ones can be different.

Something I think a lot of bowlers should do is instead of thinking about a new ball is think of getting new grips. I've seen balls with grips just about falling out of them and the bowlers complain about their release or bad ball reaction.

If your not gripping your ball good you can't make it work at a 100%. New grips will a lot of times make it like you got a new ball.
Summer is a good time also to throw your ball in a haus machine on the diamond wheels, find those flat spots and get it back to round.

jaws1945
01-19-2009, 09:33 AM
When I bowled 3 nights a week I usually would buy at least 1 new ball at the beginning of a season and retire the one that I was least satisfied with. I have bought 2 in the last 3 years, and am still using a ball on occasion that i have had for 4 seasons.