PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my form!

mc_runner
05-23-2014, 06:35 PM
http://youtu.be/TFsox2J7EnI

So... not being very good at video editing, I think the first 2 shots might be the same one. I shot this video at a practice session recently. I'm trying to work on staying behind the ball, and I'm not entirely sure I'm doing a very good job of it. I notice that I seem to be breaking my wrist before release, hurting my roll and consistency. I felt like my last shot was the only "natural" or "right" feeling one.

Any tips? Any other form/timing critiques? Having it on video helps... already notice my balance arm is nonexistent! :eek:

Thanks in advance!

RobLV1
05-23-2014, 07:56 PM
If you want to stay more behind the ball, then your second step and your fourth step must "cross over" right in front of your first step and your third step, otherwise there is no way for the ball to clear your hip, and if the ball can't clear your hip, it goes out, and your and goes out with it and is no longer behind the ball. The second step and the fourth step should be like you are walking on a tightrope, heel to toe. Your first step is also very large which I think may be leading to late timing, though it's tough to tell from a rear view.

Aslan
05-23-2014, 09:10 PM
... already notice my balance arm is nonexistent! :eek:

Dang. That was my #3.

#1- You approach like you're either taking a poo or sneaking up on a duck. Stand straighter…more fluid/natural.
#2- (This ties into Rob's post below), seems like you're pointed off to the right and then swinging across your body. That tends to lead to pulling or pushing the ball.

As you start to stay over top the ball and use that crossover and balance leg…the balance arm will become more important.

mc_runner
05-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks Rob. I'm going to work on the crossover step(s) and will post up a video when I feel more comfortable with it. Hopefully at a better angle.

Aslan - yeah, I actually hate my approach. I really need to get lower and have more knee bend... I feel that that impacts a lot of the consistency issues.

In all - several things to work on, trying one at a time. Appreciate the feedback!

mc_runner
06-15-2014, 03:04 PM
http://youtu.be/h4G5FZiNySk

Here's a shot from my last practice session from a different angle. I'm currently working on walking more in a straight line (step 2 is in line, step 4 still goes out a little), and getting more knee bend on release. This shot was a good example of when things go right, while the tightrope walk is feeling natural I still have to focus and think about staying low in my release. Sorry about the video quality, looks like youtube didn't upload it too well (and ignore the shorts... was doing yardwork before!)

I still can't do the balance arm. With thinking about staying low on release, when I think about my arm my shot just goes to complete un-naturalness and gets way messed up. After getting the muscle memory for this release down I'm thinking that'll be my adjustment?

JJStriker
06-15-2014, 03:57 PM
You're form looks good but a few minor adjustments should be made for added consistency.
1. I'd be cautious with working on knee bend, I've seen too many bowlers tear a meniscus or ACL that way.
2. Work on your follow through, try to bring your hand straight up almost like you're gonna slap your face and work on snapping your wrist.
You have great backswing so nothing needs to be done there.
3. When you step onto the approach, make sure your feet are straight and pointed forward, also that they're close by each other with only a small gap in between. It may feel weird in the beginning but once you get used to it it works.
4. Lastly you have a bit of a timing problem, you're holding the ball too long for a 5 step approach. I have the same problem and have been working on fixing it.
On your first step your ball should already be in motion, your 2nd step your ball should be in front of you. 3rd step your ball should already be almost behind you, 4th step it should be at the top of your backswing and finally 5th is when your foot slides and you release the ball. Its hard to explain this so check it out on youtube.
http://youtu.be/OoyRbBHXQOA
Hope this helped! :o

rv driver
06-15-2014, 04:06 PM
http://youtu.be/h4G5FZiNySk

Here's a shot from my last practice session from a different angle. I'm currently working on walking more in a straight line (step 2 is in line, step 4 still goes out a little), and getting more knee bend on release. This shot was a good example of when things go right, while the tightrope walk is feeling natural I still have to focus and think about staying low in my release. Sorry about the video quality, looks like youtube didn't upload it too well (and ignore the shorts... was doing yardwork before!)

I still can't do the balance arm. With thinking about staying low on release, when I think about my arm my shot just goes to complete un-naturalness and gets way messed up. After getting the muscle memory for this release down I'm thinking that'll be my adjustment?
Yeah, I was gonna say that step #4 almost looks... "apologetic" or something. I think it's a timing thing, but can't pinpoint where it is.

mc_runner
06-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say that step #4 almost looks... "apologetic" or something. I think it's a timing thing, but can't pinpoint where it is.

Thanks, I know what you mean, there's no power or push off. I never noticed that until you pointed it out. Might be why my ball speed has dropped 1-2 mph since starting to work on this release.

Thanks JJ, too. Ironically, for quite awhile I was concerned I was starting too EARLY on my ball drop. Getting it on video helped me realize I'm a tad too late on starting (which is good - feels more natural earlier!). I want to work on my follow through as well - I would love to get that snap motion. I firmly believe it would happen but I want to take things in small steps. I've already increased revs this summer from ~280 to ~375, and gotten lower, cocked wrist more, etc. To get to where I want to be will be a slow, year-long (at least) change. I plan to periodically post videos up for continual progress and review :)

RobLV1
06-15-2014, 09:25 PM
The single most import aspect of every bowler's game is the release. Unfortunately, it's the last thing that you can work on to improve your game. To develop a great release, four things need to be developed first: balance, rhythm, timing, and direction. Until those things are perfect, you cannot develop a strong release. Start by working on posting every shot (hold the follow through position until the ball has exited the pin deck). At the point that you can do that consistently from shot to shot, then you can develop your release. The release is the cart, and everything else is the horse. Be careful not to put the cart before the horse.

mc_runner
06-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks, Rob. That's one of the biggest things I'm currently working on. When I can post my shot I know my timing is "good enough" so that I can hold it there. Every so often while working on this release I have a total blooper where I know in my backswing it's gonna be bad and yank it one way or the other. If I can post, its a good shot.

Question - would you say the second video was a complete posted shot? I was thinking it was - the only thing i moved after release was my arm, and that can be held up easily as the ball goes down the lane. Where I (think) I run into problems is when I release and can't hold that body position?

RobLV1
06-16-2014, 05:52 AM
The latest video was pretty close in terms of posting the shot. The main thing that I saw that you could improve is staying down as you post the shot. You look like you tend to pop up somewhat. Not staying down will affect your ability to project the ball down the lane, and often results in more ten pin leaves. Take a look on U Tube and see if you can find some video of Parker Bohn. Watch how he stays down and really extends his release out toward the pins.

mc_runner
06-16-2014, 12:00 PM
I do see myself popping back up after release - I'm going to work on staying down. Thanks!

rv driver
06-16-2014, 04:57 PM
I do see myself popping back up after release - I'm going to work on staying down. Thanks!
It's called "the Whack-A-Mole maneuver."