PDA

View Full Version : Motiv Ascent Apex

Dugbark
05-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Bowler Stats-Ball Speed 15.5 MPH Rev Rate-App 285 Axis of Rotation-30 to 60 degrees Axis Tilt 9 degrees Right Handed PAP-5 9/16 over, 1/2" up. Drill -50X4 1/4"X30

The Motiv Ascent Apex is designed for light oil according to Motiv. The core is a new for the Motiv line, the symetrical Recon Core, wrapped with the Fusion XL Pearl Reactive cover. The ball is as advertised and stronger for me. The ball picks up it's roll late in the pattern, due to the very low RG (2.59) and pearl cover. The core with a differential of .018, allows the ball, to keep plenty of energy down lane without being short transition/snappy. The ball covers more boards plenty of boards when it finds friction with enough recovery to play deep or to swing it to the ditch from the track. The Ascent Apex then makes a strong move that is much less sudden and sharp then the Primal Rage and closer to the reaction of the Thrash Frenzy. The coverstock, being stronger then the original Ascent Pearl, changes phases earlier on the lane and covers more boards. The Ascent Apex's make a continuous move at the end of the pattern and can cover a lot of boards on lower volume or shorter patterns. Getting the ball in the soup (house shot) in the middle of the lane causes the ball to skate past the breakpoint but that is how this
ball is designed. The Ascent Apex lets me know when to put it away as it starts to check earlier. This coverstock, as is all of the Motiv Coverstocks, is easily tunable and shining it will increase length and angularity noticeably, and adding surface creates an earlier roll. Additionally, the Apex does not soak up a lot of oil, and like all of the other Motiv covers, does not quickly "track out".

I've been throwing exclusively Motiv since 2009 and I have not had a ball that "died" due to oil saturation or one that has become warn in the track. My experience tells me that this ball will be the same.

If you use this ball as designed it will be a very effective ball. To throw it on a heavy volume patterns will require a large amount of surface and a shorter drill pattern. With the Ascent Apex Motiv has a piece of equipment that continues the Motiv tradition and keeping a complete arsenal on the Motiv selection of equipment at all times As always, the Neomark coverstock makes the roll and transition of the ball easy to read, and with my colorblindness, the high contrast makes it easy for me to pick up the ball transitions..

Dug Barker
Motiv Staffer
BTM Youth Writer
Ken Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach
BWAA Member
SWBA Member
USBC Silver
2003 GLBA Youth Coach of the Year