PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to the USBC Nationals?

TN_Valley
01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
They go to different places each year and build the lanes just for the event in a HUGE convention center. Last year it was in Albuquerque NM. This year it's in Las Vegas, NV. This will be my 6th tournament. I'm going the last week of the tournament. July 22-23. The Bowling This Month(BTM) tournament is the best side tournament for serious bowlers. The most "Fun" side tournament is the 40 Frame game.

ThongPrincess
01-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Our group is going June 27th & 28th. I believe we have 4 teams from various parts of the country. This will be number 5, plus I've bowled 2 Women's Nationals.

kev3inp
01-17-2009, 04:24 AM
If and when the Orlando site becomes a reality we'll go, but otherwise we don't even go to state if it's too far away. We make a huge exception for NC. ;)

onefrombills
01-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Im gonna try my team fell a part after I paid for my spot so time will only tell

Iceman
01-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I still have not gone yet, had a chance last year, but wasn't comfortable with my changes in my game to feel competitve. I hear many come back shooting 480 series whom carry 210 avg locally, so I think it would be just a lot of fun to do the first time.

I go to most of the city and state tourneys in Ohio, and there's a Derby Tournament in Ky when the Horse Derby is ran, so I've got plenty of different houses - someday, I'll adventure out to Nationals, I would rather go out with people I have bowled with before as it makes it more enjoyable.

PSBA10
01-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Our group is scheduled for March 16 & 17. We have had this spot for years. This was always the Monday and Tuesday of convention week. When they stopped having the convention and the tournament together, we picked the tournament. 8 weeks and counting.

Jord_84
01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
What are the national tournaments like? I really wanted to go to the women's national last year, I think it was held in Detroit? I'm trying to figure out if I can compete with the people that enter. I mentioned to my husband that it's in Reno this year, the promise of gambling is making him consider traveling lol

Do they have divisions?
What do most of you spend for entry fees, hotels, and travel expenses getting there?

Iceman
01-22-2009, 03:17 AM
I just had a person asked me to take a spot in May (I think the first weekend) 2 people backed out - I will know for sure next wednesday. My coach told me if I go do teams in the spot, he'll do doubles with me. Sure would be nice to fly out for more than 3 games. I may get the chance to see why 220 avg at my house are shooting 120's at nationals. :p

I'll follow up next week - if this happens, I'll be busy tourney's Feb, March and May. None found for April yet.

ThongPrincess
01-22-2009, 04:14 AM
What are the national tournaments like? I really wanted to go to the women's national last year, I think it was held in Detroit? I'm trying to figure out if I can compete with the people that enter. I mentioned to my husband that it's in Reno this year, the promise of gambling is making him consider traveling lol

Do they have divisions?
What do most of you spend for entry fees, hotels, and travel expenses getting there?

The Open Nationals has 2 divisions - 180 and under and 181 and over. They are open to any USBC member.

Women's Nationals has 5 or 6 divisions based on average. Teams of 5 women, then there are doubles and singles. This can create a problem if you do not have a companion team, either one bowler does not bowl doubles and singles, or you need a 6th who does not bowl team. You cannot bowl singles unless you also bowl doubles.

Nationals Tournaments, bot the Open and Women's, can be a lot of fun. You have to go with and open mind. if you go with the expectation of bowling up a storm, your trip can be ruined if the expectations are not met. The Nationals tournaments I believe are now all on Sport conditions, so it can be challenging. :eek:

I personally love bowling in the National Bowling Stadium even if I do not bowl well. There is just something about it. If you can get a team together, go for it!

jaws1945
01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Our group is headed out to bowl March7,8. We got lousy squad times 7:30 pm team and 11:30pm singles &doubles. I'll be lucky to stay awake for the s&d.......

sharpie
01-23-2009, 04:09 PM
I will be there last two days in april.

Tjames300
03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Bringin this back to the top. Oh yeah Nationals are the best time of the bowling year! This year we are going pretty late bowling on the 10th and 11th of July. Nationals shots can be oh so humbling for people who think they are really good by just bowling on house shots all the time. I have seen 220 house avg bowlers shoot 480 or lower there. It really rewards spare shooting and consistancy. I would encourage all bowlers to go experience the best tournament we have as amateurs. Nationals also for me is a great time because I get to see my best friend who has moved to the other side of the country (Florida) from me and again bowl doubles with him. It is always a great time but this time could be epic as it is in Las Vegas! Anyway to all who go good luck to all you!

PSBA10
03-31-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm just back from Nationals. When you go to Vegas allow yourself extra time for the traffic. I can't remember one street or interstate that is not under construction.

We bowled team on Monday at 2:30-pm. I did reasonably well, but not great. I rented a locker and left my equipment overnight. Our minors were scheduled for 9:20am Tuesday morning. We were staying in a condo about 8 miles west of the Cashman Center. We left Tuesday morning at 8:45. I thought that would be plenty of time. We finally arrived at 9:05. I had enough time to get through the scale room and my shoes on before they took us to the lanes. When we started practice, I couldn't get my thumb in any of the balls I had with me. I only had 2 pieces of electrical tape in them. When removed I still couldn't get into the ball. Needless to say I didn't score at all.

I think what happened is that it is so dry in Vegas that I had a hard time keeping hydrated. I was always drinking something (no not beer either). Because of the extra fluid intake my thumb swelled. I would suggest to anyone going test fit your equipment before you go through the scale room. There are any number of pro shops that can make adjustments for you. After you get to the lanes, it's too late. Believe me, I know.

onefrombills
03-31-2009, 02:09 AM
Ill be out there in Vegas the 1st week of July

PSBA10
03-31-2009, 02:39 AM
That's great. I take it you found a team.

MH1313
03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Man does the equipment problems suck!

This is my first time going to nationals...I'm really looking forward to it, not to mention scoring well. The owner of my home house put up a "nationals equivalent" shot. Its a heavy sport shot, so I'm hoping they have it right...I've scored average consistently on it during practice.

The fun thing about what I understand about this shot, is for a tweener or stroker, where you put the ball down is where its going to end up...you need to focus on consistency and spare shooting! this is no house shot is what I keep telling myself.

Fortunately I pride myself on my ability to adapt and make changes to my game to shoot the best on a set of lanes...

onefrombills
04-01-2009, 05:54 AM
That's great. I take it you found a team.

If this was for me ...Yes I did I went on the sub board on bowl.com and found a team

Bobgpaa
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm heading out to Veges in June, 22-23. We have two teams from here in Colorado. Last year 2 of our guys ranked 38th in the doubles event. Not bad. As for me, I stunk the lanes up in Albequerque, averaged 156 while going in with 212.:(
We are looking forward to this year again. It doesn't matter if you bowl well, just have fun at the experience.
I'm lucky in that my bowling house will put out the oil pattern to practice on but remember the Nationals lanes are new and your house will not be. That will be a big difference when you get to Las Veges. Remember this is fun, bowling well will be just a bonus. Good luck all.:D

kakcpa
04-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I've never bowled in National's....it's something that i've always wanted to do. Perhaps one of these years, I will.

JaxBowlingGuy
04-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Ill be out there July 18-19. Shot ont he nationals shot for the 1st time last night.. not too bad 1134 for 6 games. Not too bad for the 1st time on it... realized i didnt bring the right balls witht he 1st ball.. I will be in classified this year so maybe it will hold up for something... Ill be making that loonnngggg trip from FL, hopefully i can come back with something..lol